PDA

View Full Version : The Sky is Blue, the Water is Wet, Chickens Cluck, Ducks Quack

He Hate Me
02-19-2007, 02:50 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/02/19/bc.bba.yankees.rodriguez.ap/index.html

A-Rod admits friendship with Jeter has cooled

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- On the first day of his fourth season with the New York Yankees, Alex Rodriguez finally acknowledged his relationship with Derek Jeter has cooled.

After insisting for three years that they remained close, Rodriguez said it was "important" to him to publicly confirm what others have said since he joined the team.

"People start assuming that things are a lot worse than what they are, which they're not. But they're obviously not as great as they used to be. We were like blood brothers," Rodriguez said Monday. "You don't have to go to dinner with a guy four, five times a week to do what you're doing. It's actually much better than all you guys expect, but I just want to let the truth be known."

Jeter, the Yankees' captain, has distanced himself since a 2001 Esquire article in which A-Rod said "Jeter's been blessed with great talent around him" and "he's never had to lead."

"You go into New York, you wanna stop Bernie (Williams) and (Paul) O'Neill," A-Rod was quoted as saying. "You never say, 'Don't let Derek beat you.' He's never your concern."

Sitting in jeans and a black sweat jacket in the first-base dugout at Legends Field after his physical, Rodriguez did three rounds of interviews: English-language television, Spanish-language television and print reporters. He addressed his relationship with Jeter in all three.

"We were best of friends about 10, 13, 14, years ago, and we still get along well. We have a good working relationship. I cheer very hard for him. He cheers hard for me. And most importantly, we're both trying to win a world championship," Rodriguez said.

What's changed? He made it sound as if they had just grown apart.

"The reality is there's been a change in the relationship over 14 years and, hopefully, we can just put it behind us," Rodriguez said. "You go from sleeping over at somebody's house five days a week, and now you don't sleep over. It's just not that big of a deal."

During the offseason, former Yankee Darryl Strawberry said Jeter needs to "embrace" Rodriguez. A-Rod said he didn't feel Jeter needed to support him more.

"I'm a big boy. I'm 31 years old now, so I should be able to help myself out there," he said. "I care about what he thinks about me on the field. I think it's important for us to be on the right page. And we are. We're here to win a championship together."

When he was first asked about Jeter, Rodriguez said this would be the only time he would address the topic.

"Let's make a contract: You don't ask me about Derek anymore, and I promise I'll stop lying to all you guys," A-Rod told reporters.

While Rodriguez won the AL MVP award for the second time in 2005, he is 4-for-41 (.098) without an RBI in his last 12 postseason games dating to 2004. He got just one hit in last year's playoff loss to Detroit.

"I stunk. And when you stink, sometimes, you have to call it," he said. "I went 1-for-14 last year with an error and that's pretty lousy."

He was dropped to eighth in the batting order for the first time in a decade as the Yankees were eliminated in Game 4.

"It was very disappointing," he said. "Yes, I was embarrassed."

While Rodriguez maintained he wants to remain with the Yankees for the rest of his career, he didn't rule out exercising the clause in his record $252 million, 10-year contract that allows him to opt out after this season. Rodriguez would forfeit the $72 million owed in the final three years and could use that to become a free agent or pressure New York for an extension.

"I want to be a Yankee and I understand my contract. I understand my options. I understand the interest," he said.

He doesn't mind that his contract has made him a target.

"I love being the highest-paid player in the game. It's pretty cool. I like making that money," he said. "I was poor and broke when I grew up. I didn't have that type of money to help out children. Now I get a chance to help out children. Whatever you say is important. People listen to you. That's pretty cool. Nobody used to listen to me before."

HeadOfSoxNation
02-19-2007, 03:23 PM
"You go from sleeping over at somebody's house five days a week, and now you don't sleep over. It's just not that big of a deal."

Ummm...I mean...I have a lot of close guy friends...and short of crashing on each other's couch once in a while when we weren't in the proper physical shape to drive home, we never did the whole sleepover thing. Well, at least not since I was like 10. That comment struck me as really funny...

shortstop
02-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I thought that was a strange comment too. I didn't think grown men had sleep overs.

He Hate Me
02-19-2007, 03:34 PM
I htink most athletes wind up crashing at each other's houses. NBA players do this all the time.

SuperManny
02-19-2007, 03:34 PM
You mean you guys don't have sleep overs 5 days a week with your close guy friends?

SuperManny
02-19-2007, 03:35 PM
I htink most athletes wind up crashing at each other's houses. NBA players do this all the time.

Yeah its just the way he said "sleeping over his house 5 days a week" that sounds akward. :lol: If he just said hanging out 5 days a week no one would have thought it was odd.

He Hate Me
02-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah its just the way he said "sleeping over his house 5 days a week" that sounds akward. :lol: If he just said hanging out 5 days a week no one would have thought it was odd.

lol yeah I see what you mean. man, if nothing else, this will give the TShirt vendors at Fenway even more material to work with. I honestly think he's getting a 10% cut from them

Youk Of The Nation
02-19-2007, 04:30 PM
An addition to the headline: Carl Pavano is injured.

MANNYHOF24
02-19-2007, 06:22 PM
"You go from sleeping over at somebody's house five days a week, and now you don't sleep over. It's just not that big of a deal."

Ummm...I mean...I have a lot of close guy friends...and short of crashing on each other's couch once in a while when we weren't in the proper physical shape to drive home, we never did the whole sleepover thing. Well, at least not since I was like 10. That comment struck me as really funny...

I doubt much sleep was actually taking place if you know what Im saying... OHH Snap

a700hitter
02-19-2007, 06:28 PM
I don't think ARod likes his treatment in NY--- Jeter has acted like a dick, Torre has turned the cold shoulder, a cheating fat loser like Giambi has taken shots at him, and the Press and fans have killed him. I could see him opting out after this year, and I would love to have this guy playing SS, his natural position.

jacksonianmarch
02-19-2007, 09:32 PM
An addition to the headline: Carl Pavano is injured.

he says his legs are sore from running, and it is nothing to worry about. In other news, Carl Pavano was placed on the 60 day DL with a broken vagina.

He Hate Me
02-20-2007, 12:00 AM
sore legs!!! sore legs!!

i've played 3rd base for 2 straight games, and I was fat during that time. Suck it up!!!!

shortstop
02-20-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm thankful everyday that Carl Pavano's parents are Yankee fans.

jacksonianmarch
02-20-2007, 01:59 PM
btw, ARod has shown up to camp 12 lbs lighter, is under 10% body fat and is faster this yr than he has been in years. ARod's bulk last yr was one of the skeptics focal points for decreased bat speed and drop in stolen bases. Sounds like he has rededicated himself in what could be a contract yr.

Optimist
02-20-2007, 04:15 PM
I think Jeter took a better approach to this when he basically said, "Who cares?"

He Hate Me
02-20-2007, 05:33 PM
I think Jeter took a better approach to this when he basically said, "Who cares?"

I think Aord was good in addressing it the way he did since they keep asking him about it every single day. Jeter's tepid response was just plain annoying. Everyone knows he's lying through the skin of his teeth when he says there is no rift. I lvoe Jeter, but when he's putting up some fake crap, I'll call hiim on it.

Sizzlin22
02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
A-Rod wants to be Jeter, and he's not nor will he ever be. God I hope he SUCKS this year just so the fans in the Bronx hassle him 'till the cows come home.

I am so glad I get YES.

a700hitter
02-20-2007, 09:40 PM
I think Aord was good in addressing it the way he did since they keep asking him about it every single day. Jeter's tepid response was just plain annoying. Everyone knows he's lying through the skin of his teeth when he says there is no rift. I lvoe Jeter, but when he's putting up some fake crap, I'll call hiim on it.This statement by Jeter today speaks volumes. He said the same thing during the season when the fans and media were riding ARod:
I don't think it's my job to tell fans to boo or not to boo.With the respect Jeter commands among the fans and in the clubhouse, if he had just expressed that the fans and media should be patient, because ARod is a great player that would helped ARod through his tough time. This type of statement that he continues to make is not the supportive act of a team captain. He is acting petty through this thing. ARod has not created any controversy. He's never asked to play SS. In fact, when Jeter couldn't play, ARod said he didn't want to play SS. He was staying clear of creating any controversy, and let's face it, ARod is more comfortable at SS than 3B and he's a better SS than Jeter.

jacksonianmarch
02-20-2007, 10:27 PM
I honestly think Jeter wants ARod to do this himself. ARod's comment a few yrs back was wrong, really wrong. I honestly think ARod allowed himself to go to the yankees so he could become bigger and better than Jeter. He was better in stats, but Jeter always had an aura around him for being a core member of the 4 championship runs. That was the last thing ARod had to prove to be the best SS in the game, even if he wasnt going to be the shortstop. He wanted this. He brought this on so he can be the best. He hasnt handled it to this point. And as shitty as it might be, I dont think he opts out because he hasnt accomplished his mission. If the yankees win it all and ARod is an integral part of it, I think he is gone.

Sox Fan on Cape
02-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I honestly think Jeter wants ARod to do this himself. ARod's comment a few yrs back was wrong, really wrong. I honestly think ARod allowed himself to go to the yankees so he could become bigger and better than Jeter. He was better in stats, but Jeter always had an aura around him for being a core member of the 4 championship runs. That was the last thing ARod had to prove to be the best SS in the game, even if he wasnt going to be the shortstop. He wanted this. He brought this on so he can be the best. He hasnt handled it to this point. And as shitty as it might be, I dont think he opts out because he hasnt accomplished his mission. If the yankees win it all and ARod is an integral part of it, I think he is gone.

I can see the Yanks winning it all at some point, however I can't see Arod being an integral part of it. The Yanks would have to win dispite Arod.

jacksonianmarch
02-20-2007, 11:56 PM
that is what I am afraid of. This yr may be the yr that yankee fans give him a mild pardon though. We all know that he is an anchor in the postseason, but we need him to get there, and losing him via FA will be a major waste.

a700hitter
02-21-2007, 12:00 AM
I think he'll go to another contender after the season. He knows that NY is biased in favor of Jeter, and that no matter what he does, he'll never achieve the prominence he craves in NY.

jacksonianmarch
02-21-2007, 12:03 AM
the same questions will dog him and it will only get worse, not better. If he is to validate his career, he needs to do this in NY. This may be the yr, it seems like the perfect storm is brewing. He loses the weight, gets faster, stronger, etc. He plays MVP ball, carries it over into the playoffs, wins a WS and then gives NY fans a big fuck you as he exits. That is the only way he opts out.

Sox Fan on Cape
02-21-2007, 12:12 AM
the same questions will dog him and it will only get worse, not better. If he is to validate his career, he needs to do this in NY. This may be the yr, it seems like the perfect storm is brewing. He loses the weight, gets faster, stronger, etc. He plays MVP ball, carries it over into the playoffs, wins a WS and then gives NY fans a big fuck you as he exits. That is the only way he opts out.

The flip side is he's so wired to achieve that he strikes out trying to hit the big homerun, throws the ball away trying to make the big play, etc. Arod is not a clutch player, Jeter is.

jacksonianmarch
02-21-2007, 07:20 AM
I know that. If ARod doesnt get it this yr, he wont opt out and he'll be a yankee for the rest of that contract, continuously choking.

He Hate Me
02-21-2007, 09:44 AM
This statement by Jeter today speaks volumes. He said the same thing during the season when the fans and media were riding ARod:With the respect Jeter commands among the fans and in the clubhouse, if he had just expressed that the fans and media should be patient, because ARod is a great player that would helped ARod through his tough time. This type of statement that he continues to make is not the supportive act of a team captain. He is acting petty through this thing. ARod has not created any controversy. He's never asked to play SS. In fact, when Jeter couldn't play, ARod said he didn't want to play SS. He was staying clear of creating any controversy, and let's face it, ARod is more comfortable at SS than 3B and he's a better SS than Jeter.

he is supportive...of people he likes. He told the fans not to boo Steroid Boy #1 (the big white guy) when the testimony first came out.

like I said, Jeter is one of my all time faves, but he's gotta suck it up and act like a captain. I don't need for him to hug it out with ARod, just stop being a baby about it and move on.

BudLight
02-21-2007, 10:07 AM
he is supportive...of people he likes. He told the fans not to boo Steroid Boy #1 (the big white guy) when the testimony first came out.

like I said, Jeter is one of my all time faves, but he's gotta suck it up and act like a captain. I don't need for him to hug it out with ARod, just stop being a baby about it and move on.

Jeter's comments yesterday were to the point in this whole issue. WTF does their personal friendship or lack there of have to do with their performance on the field. A-Rod knew when he signed with the Yanks that he would be the third baseman. Granted he is a better defensive SS than Jeter, but the situation in NY did not allow for A-Rod to play SS, Jeter is embedded there and will be until he decides to leave or retire. If A-Rod needs his $250M ego stroked in order to perform in the post season, maybe he should hire Dr. Phil to personally accompany him to playoff games. Jeter does his job as captain of the Yankees, he doesn't need to take up the personal struggles of his teammates. He leads on the field and that's what he is paid to do, period.

BSN07
02-21-2007, 10:47 AM
The interview that Arod had a few years back that started all this was true at the time. When NY was winning championships( jeter was a significant player) but teams where not looking at stopping him. They wanted to stop Paul, Bernie, Tino. Jeter wasn't the #1 guy back then like he is now. Jeter is acting like a baby about the hole thing. Hes just mad someone said publicly, but if you truley are a baseball fan and know the game then you already new that he was a good player and an important one but he wasn't #1 on those teams. Jeter has had a great career, but you have to admit he has had a great line up around him for his whole career. Put Jeter in another line up and he will be good but nowhere near as good as he has been.

BudLight
02-21-2007, 11:18 AM
The interview that Arod had a few years back that started all this was true at the time. When NY was winning championships( jeter was a significant player) but teams where not looking at stopping him. They wanted to stop Paul, Bernie, Tino. Jeter wasn't the #1 guy back then like he is now. Jeter is acting like a baby about the hole thing. Hes just mad someone said publicly, but if you truley are a baseball fan and know the game then you already new that he was a good player and an important one but he wasn't #1 on those teams. Jeter has had a great career, but you have to admit he has had a great line up around him for his whole career. Put Jeter in another line up and he will be good but nowhere near as good as he has been.

I won't argue that Jeter has been surrounded by very good talent and that has added to his value to the Yankees. However, regardless if he was a "threat" or not back when they were winning championships, who the hell is ARod to make that comment to Esquire magazine. Would your "close friends" throw you under the bus like that? Let's hope not. Jeter is the captain of the Yanks, as such he is responsible for the on-field performance of his team and ensuring they mesh on the field. What happens off the field in the players personal lives is not his concern, to include his own personal life. The media is trying to stir up shit here with this whole line of questioning. Again, if A-rod needs to have a sense of belonging in order to perform, he needs to hire a shrink, not be concerned with his personal friendships.

He Hate Me
02-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Jeter's comments yesterday were to the point in this whole issue. WTF does their personal friendship or lack there of have to do with their performance on the field. A-Rod knew when he signed with the Yanks that he would be the third baseman. Granted he is a better defensive SS than Jeter, but the situation in NY did not allow for A-Rod to play SS, Jeter is embedded there and will be until he decides to leave or retire. If A-Rod needs his $250M ego stroked in order to perform in the post season, maybe he should hire Dr. Phil to personally accompany him to playoff games. Jeter does his job as captain of the Yankees, he doesn't need to take up the personal struggles of his teammates. He leads on the field and that's what he is paid to do, period.

it is an issue because it has obviously affected ARod's performance on the field. If being a Captain was all about putting up stats, then Bonds would be the undisputed leader of the Giants. But why was Varitek more of a leader than a healthy Nomar? A captain HAS to do his best to get the best out of his teammates, and if that means swallowing your pride and at least ADDRESS THE FRIGGING ISSUE INSTEAD OF PRETENDING IT DOESN"T EXIST, then you go ahead and do that. Jeter has to take the initiative and run wtih this because it's obuivous ARod is walking on glass around Derek and it's affecting his game.

BSN07
02-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Thats just an example of AROD sticking his foot in his mouth like he does on a regular basis. At that time I don't think he realized it would make that big of a deal because for the most part most people would have agreed about what he was saying.

Papi made comments on the same type of level AROD did but he didn´t get nearly as much shit for it.

BSN07
02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
He never will ownup to it now, maybe after he retires and is out of the NY spot light. To admit there is a problem is to admit that you have been lying the whole time.

Jeter will admit the he had a rift with Arod and stop denying it the same time he comes out of the closet.

He Hate Me
02-21-2007, 11:45 AM

I'll handily disagree with that. Jeter has performed well in any spot that he's batted in regardless of who is batting around him or not. As for Paulie, Bernie or Tino, I love them but Jeter's way more talented than they could be, and everyone knows it. Those comments by ARod were just pure jealousy, and "real baseball fans" had Jeter almost grabbing a MVP crown last season, so I'd sya they think Jeter is pretty damn good.

jacksonianmarch
02-21-2007, 11:48 AM
I dont give a flying fuck if Jeter is taking ARod wife out for sushima then double teams her with David Wells. The late 70s teams HATED each other. Just win a fucking series and stop being an overly sensitive bitch about it (directed at ARod).

BudLight
02-21-2007, 01:31 PM
it is an issue because it has obviously affected ARod's performance on the field. If being a Captain was all about putting up stats, then Bonds would be the undisputed leader of the Giants. But why was Varitek more of a leader than a healthy Nomar? A captain HAS to do his best to get the best out of his teammates, and if that means swallowing your pride and at least ADDRESS THE FRIGGING ISSUE INSTEAD OF PRETENDING IT DOESN"T EXIST, then you go ahead and do that. Jeter has to take the initiative and run wtih this because it's obuivous ARod is walking on glass around Derek and it's affecting his game.

So every Yankee should bow down and kiss A-Rod's ass to help him deal with a sense of belonging. Here's a better idea, hire a hooker with big tits that he can suckle on, maybe that will help with his sense of belonging and his need to be accepted. Fuck A-Rod and his sensitive $250M ego. The Yankees didn't need him when Jeter and crew were winning 4 championships and they don't need him now. He's the last in a long line of ego maniacs to wear the pinstripes. IMHO, the sooner he leaves the better the "team" will be for it.

rician blast
02-21-2007, 02:05 PM
And if Jeter was a true "leader" he'd put that ARod comment behind him, if that's truly what fractured their once strong relaitonship. For krist sake, he's pretty immature if he harbors ill-feelings over an Esquire article years ago, especially when the comments were made by a guy who has a habit of saying stuff that lands him in hot water.

I'm starting to really think ARod's recent comments were a conscious attempt to bring this out, force Jeter to deal with it in some respect, so that they can move on. I'm leaning toward the point of view that Jeter deliberately refuses to allow ARod to get over the discomfort, and that ARod thought putting Jeter on the spot would force this to be dealt with.

If Jeter stays his previous course, IMO, it detracts from his captaincy. However the media, and thus the fans, have their heads so far up Jeter's ass that in their eyes he can never do wrong.

He Hate Me
02-21-2007, 02:10 PM
So every Yankee should bow down and kiss A-Rod's ass to help him deal with a sense of belonging. Here's a better idea, hire a hooker with big tits that he can suckle on, maybe that will help with his sense of belonging and his need to be accepted. Fuck A-Rod and his sensitive $250M ego. The Yankees didn't need him when Jeter and crew were winning 4 championships and they don't need him now. He's the last in a long line of ego maniacs to wear the pinstripes. IMHO, the sooner he leaves the better the "team" will be for it.

If ARod is being genuine about this (and I suspect for once, he is), then the only egomaniac on display is Jeter. The Yankees dont need to kiss A-Rod's ass, what they do need is for Jeter to man up and move on and accept the fact that this guy is your teammate for better or worse and it's up to you to at least ACKNOWLEDGE the issue instead of keep sweeping it under the rug of "off fild or personal life" bs because that is OBVIOUSLY affecting the team in some way or shape.

He Hate Me
02-21-2007, 02:11 PM
And if Jeter was a true "leader" he'd put that ARod comment behind him, if that's truly what fractured their once strong relaitonship. For krist sake, he's pretty immature if he harbors ill-feelings over an Esquire article years ago, especially when the comments were made by a guy who has a habit of saying stuff that lands him in hot water.

He doesn't need to put it behind him, just acknowledge the problem and move on. ARod was like a brother to him at the time, and for him to come out and say those kinds of things in a national aticle is as good as sticking a knife in his back, jeter doesn't have to forgive and forget, what he needs to do is deal with it instead of pretending it doesn't exist, because it just makes everyone damn uncomfortable when they're both in the room.

BudLight
02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
So in addition to leading by example with a .317BA, 2000 plus hits, .314 post season BA, 200 hits per year, a rookie of the year, AS and WS MVP, 3 Gold Gloves, 1 silver slugger and appearing in the league MVP voting top 10 six times - he now needs to open up his personal life to the media and the fans and embrace A-Rod. Yeah, that's a great idea, let the media start spewing their BS about his personal life then the whole left side of the infield will be focused on what the media is doing and saying instead of concentrating on winning another championship.

Optimist
02-21-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm really starting to wish we had just traded this guy.

a700hitter
02-21-2007, 10:32 PM
I dont give a flying fuck if Jeter is taking ARod wife out for sushima then double teams her with David Wells. The late 70s teams HATED each other. Just win a fucking series and stop being an overly sensitive bitch about it (directed at ARod).I am on the same page with you. This whole thing has been blown out of proportion. ARod is acting like a whining wimp and Jeter is behaving like a petty schoolboy. They both need to grow up. We all knew that ARod was a self-absorbed whining wimp. The surprise here is Jeter's behavior. He has not acted like the consummate professional and team player that he is portrayed as being in his press clippings. He has not be magnanimous or supportive towards ARod. He has not comported himself in a manner that would be expected of a team captain. Captain Intangibles...not!

26 Reasons to Hate Us
02-22-2007, 08:25 AM
The surprise here is Jeter's behavior. He has not acted like the consummate professional and team player that he is portrayed as being in his press clippings. He has not be magnanimous or supportive towards ARod. He has not comported himself in a manner that would be expected of a team captain. Captain Intangibles...not!

I disagree. Jeter is refusing to talk about it and get involved in the soap opera. He is strictly about business and winning a championship, and won't say anything that detracts from those goals. That says 'consummate professional' and 'team player' to me...

ORS
02-22-2007, 12:39 PM
He is strictly about business and winning a championship, and won't say anything that detracts from those goals. That says 'consummate professional' and 'team player' to me....
Nor will he say the magic words that make all this go away, which has me thinking that you couldn't be further from the truth. He came out an publically said the fans should stop booing Giambi. A year later, when it's ARod in question, the line is that it's not his job to tell the fans how to cheer. No consistency of point there, which means a rift exists, and he's not professional enough to ignore it for the good of the team.

a700hitter
02-22-2007, 11:03 PM
I disagree. Jeter is refusing to talk about it and get involved in the soap opera. He is strictly about business and winning a championship, and won't say anything that detracts from those goals. That says 'consummate professional' and 'team player' to me...You are out on a limb on this one.

26 Reasons to Hate Us
02-23-2007, 08:53 AM
You are out on a limb on this one.

I don't think it's too far fetched. I mean, would it be better if he talked about how he really felt about A-rod? How would that help the situation? If anything, it would make matters worse for the team by creating all kinds of tension in the clubhouse and a season-long media frenzy on this soap opera instead of how the team is doing. It would be a huge distraction. While I agree with ORS that it would be better if he would just come out and support him, I think the path he is taking is still a professional one, and perhaps a middle road between the other two options.

ORS
02-23-2007, 09:25 AM
I don't think it's too far fetched. I mean, would it be better if he talked about how he really felt about A-rod? How would that help the situation? If anything, it would make matters worse for the team by creating all kinds of tension in the clubhouse and a season-long media frenzy on this soap opera instead of how the team is doing. It would be a huge distraction. While I agree with ORS that it would be better if he would just come out and support him, I think the path he is taking is still a professional one, and perhaps a middle road between the other two options.
I would agree that his path can be considered professional. However, part and parcel of professionalism is maintaining a consistent stance on an issue regardless of emotions. Jeter set a precedent with his comments about Giambi, and he let emotion drive his behavior away from the precedent when it was about ARod. That isn't professional.