PDA

View Full Version : Wang's got a hurting Hammy

BSN07
03-24-2007, 04:56 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070323&content_id=1856153&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp

This might be cause for some concern...

jacksonianmarch
03-24-2007, 07:41 AM
they are calling it a cramp. Then again, they called Timlin's oblique a cramp. They will be very cautious with him. Pettitte's scare is pretty much over, now we have a Wang scare.

riverside sluggers
03-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Wang has been placed on the DL, Yanks are lucky its early in the season

per rotoworld

Yankees placed Chien-Ming Wang on the 15-day disabled list Saturday after he pulled his right hamstring while sprinting the day before.

Wang, who was a leading candidate to start on Opening Day, will likely miss a month of action now. "You're talking late April," GM Brian Cashman said. "You don't want stuff like that to happen, but unfortunately it does happen. When they happen, you handle it." This move could open a door for Jeff Karstens to begin the year in the rotation.

MANNYHOF24
03-24-2007, 10:54 AM
The Yankees rotation is incredibly fragile.

MANNYHOF24
03-24-2007, 10:55 AM
This almost guarentees Hughes will be in the rotation by opening day, does it not?

Gom
03-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Shit. Dammit.

riverside sluggers
03-24-2007, 11:07 AM
This almost guarentees Hughes will be in the rotation by opening day, does it not?

Nah Im sure they still want him to be in Triple A thru the end of May at least. Like roto said, Jeff Karstens has a good shot opening the season as the 5th starter. Darrell Rasner will probably then take the long innings role in the bullpen

EDIT: Another Yankee pitcher down
per rotoworld

RP Jose Veras is expected to be out two to three months after having bone chips removed from his right elbow on Thursday.

Veras has been strong out of the Triple-A bullpen the past couple seasons. He was competing for one of the final bullpen spots.

Gom
03-24-2007, 11:19 AM
I didn't even know Veras was in camp, lol. No loss.

Coco's Disciples
03-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah I would say Karstens gets the 5th spot. I wouldn't rush Hughes even with the opening. If there is an open spot in say July, they should definitely consider it.

But right now the Yankees rotation from 3-5 is a gigantic ?

riverside sluggers
03-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Pettitte
Mussina
Pavano
Igawa
Karstens

ORS
03-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Gom recommends wind-sprints. Every day.

EvilDonut
03-24-2007, 12:39 PM
:lol:

NateGrey
03-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Pettitte
Mussina
Pavano
Igawa
Karstens

.. Ouch ..

Gom
03-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Gom recommends wind-sprints. Every day.

Without steroids, he'll be out 3 months. Dammit. Where's a good pharmaceutical when you need one?

yeszir
03-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Haha, Wang's name is slang for penis!

a700hitter
03-24-2007, 03:54 PM
This thread title would be much funnier if read from right to left like Chinese is read.

riverside sluggers
03-24-2007, 05:30 PM
rotoworld

Manager Joe Torre doesn't believe Andy Pettitte (back) will be ready to go, so Carl Pavano could be the Yankees' Opening Day starter.

Didn't see this coming a month ago. Mike Mussina would have to make his next start on short rest to become an option, and the Yankees don't want to try that. Unless Pettitte's timetable moves up, Pavano figures to get the nod over Kei Igawa and Jeff Karstens.

Stop, stop, this is killing me :lol:

EvilDonut
03-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Wow.

Just wow.

MANNYHOF24
03-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Where is Jacko when you need him!

CrespoBlows
03-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Carl Pavano will become an ace, Igawa will be better than Matsuzaka, and Karstens will have a Chacon like season. (2005)

I guarantee it.

a700hitter
03-24-2007, 07:26 PM
A $200+ million payroll and Pavano is starting on opening day? Too funny.

Mr Crunchy
03-24-2007, 09:43 PM
ya im hurting inside for them...pavano was on yesteday wasnt he??
4ip and only 8 hits....
did torre indicate how happy he was and how courageous carlo is and how this is a building block and how they're taking baby steps??
i wanted pavano badly in boston...i was pissed he landed in ny
i had no idea he was a woman trapped inside a mans body
i hope he finds his inner peace for all hes done for the sox franchise
anyways
i was told phil hughes would be a 15 game winner....i didnt know they meant in columbus or trenton but hey,if it helps them sleep im ok with it
wang was arguably the best righty last year in the al,im not sold on him being a legit 1 but he had a ton of success and this set back is a kick in the yanks ass if it lingers

Gom
03-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Pavano opening day. Gotta love it. Well, it seems like the door is open for the Sox to make an early push. If you guys don't have the lead by the All Star break, forget it. Get ready for your August swoon. Last year, we took it easy on you. Let's see this year.

BSN07
03-25-2007, 02:22 AM
Matsuzaka- 102M
Lugo- 36M
Drew- 75M

Carl Pavano starting opening day for the Yankees........ PRICELESS!

MANNYHOF24
03-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Pavano opening day. Gotta love it. Well, it seems like the door is open for the Sox to make an early push. If you guys don't have the lead by the All Star break, forget it. Get ready for your August swoon. Last year, we took it easy on you. Let's see this year.

Your a moron, im pretty sure it was the injuries to Nixon, Varitek, Wakefield, Ortiz, Manny, Wells and Clement that put us out of the race last year.

riverside sluggers
03-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Your a moron, im pretty sure it was the injuries to Nixon, Varitek, Wakefield, Ortiz, Manny, Wells and Clement that put us out of the race last year.

Dont forget Coco, A-gon, Wily Mo, Youkilis being worn down after the All-Star Break, Timlin. The Sox just saw out of the ordinary injury after injury.

ORS
03-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Relax guys, it's actually a good thing. You can tell when something really has Gom concerned because he throws an off-topic haymaker at the Sox when it does. This is just proof it's got him a little worried going into the season. If he was so confident in his team, he wouldn't feel the need to justify things.

Gom
03-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Of course I'm worried. The Red Sox are, and have been, one of the best teams in baseball the last few years. I'd be an idiot not to worry about the Sox if both teams were perfectly healthy. Are you saying you aren't worried about the Yankees?

MannyHof24, injuries are a part of the game. The combined losses of all those guys didn't have the impact that losing Sheffield and Matsui for nearly the whole season had on us. Wells and Clement? Serious contributors? You're an idiot. Plain and simple.

PAVANO 2007 CY YOUNG WINNER. LOL!

riverside sluggers
03-25-2007, 01:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=Avve6cC7EizCiNCcczsL_mYRvLYF?gid=270 325106

Jeff Kartsens has had a solid spring to unofficially make him the favorite to be the team's 5th starter... solid until now that is. From what I can see (yahoo ST box scores suck) in his first 2 innings against Detroit he has given up 6 runs off of 6 hits. One of those hits coming from a Gary Sheffield HR

EDIT: rotoworld

Jeff Karstens left with a trainer after getting lit up for six runs in two innings by the Tigers on Sunday.

If he's hurt, Karstens would be another notable loss two days after Chien-Ming Wang went down. Darrell Rasner would likely replace him as the Yankees' fifth starter.
um wow

Gom
03-25-2007, 04:27 PM
I always did like *M*A*S*H*

MANNYHOF24
03-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Of course I'm worried. The Red Sox are, and have been, one of the best teams in baseball the last few years. I'd be an idiot not to worry about the Sox if both teams were perfectly healthy. Are you saying you aren't worried about the Yankees?

MannyHof24, injuries are a part of the game. The combined losses of all those guys didn't have the impact that losing Sheffield and Matsui for nearly the whole season had on us. Wells and Clement? Serious contributors? You're an idiot. Plain and simple.

Wake, Nixon, Varitek, Schilling? Your team had an allstar at every position to make up for it.

EvilDonut
03-25-2007, 04:59 PM

You can't be serious. Adding on to what Manny said, losing wake, who puts in 200+ innings when healthy, put a nasty toll on our bullpen.

No way in hell did the Yankee injuries equal the our injuries.

TheKilo
03-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Sheffield and Matsui were replaced by a serviceable Melky Cabrera and Bernie Williams, and later Bobby Abreu.

You overstate the loss of Sheffield and Matsui tremendously.

jacksonianmarch
03-26-2007, 05:41 AM
Well, as I was dreading, Wang's "cramp" was just as bad as Timlin's. DL it is. Even though Karstens has been bombed 2 games in a row, he is a better starter than Pavano at this point. And while CMW may be out for a couple weeks, we may see Karstens outpitch Pussano.

If an injury is to happen, now is the time. We always suck in April.

Mr Crunchy
03-26-2007, 08:25 AM
how long till the fire joe campaign gets under way mj??

jacksonianmarch
03-26-2007, 08:31 AM
not this yr. At least this team has a future to it (pitching wise anyway). 2 yrs ago, when I was in full throat in the fire Joe campaign, we didnt. If we win it all, then fine. But in 2-3 yrs, this teams staff should be dirty.

TheKilo
03-26-2007, 08:45 AM
not this yr. At least this team has a future to it (pitching wise anyway). 2 yrs ago, when I was in full throat in the fire Joe campaign, we didnt. If we win it all, then fine. But in 2-3 yrs, this teams staff should be dirty.

Hughes
Wang
???
???
???

jacksonianmarch
03-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Sanchez, Ohlendorf, Clippard for starters. Chamberlain, Kennedy, Marquez, Betances, Nova and the rest to be ready in 2 yrs. We have an insane amount of pitching in our farm. Aside from Tabata, Duncan, and Montero, we are lacking a lot of offensive depth, though.

ORS
03-26-2007, 09:11 AM
So the '06 pitching class all makes it to the bigs in 2 years? Sure, that'll happen.

jacksonianmarch
03-26-2007, 09:19 AM
So the '06 pitching class all makes it to the bigs in 2 years? Sure, that'll happen.

No, but logic says that Hughes will be in that rotation as will Wang. Out of the AAA rotation this yr, one will likely stick. And then consider that Mussina and Pettitte will be throwing in NY through 2008. By 2009, my guess at our rotation will be

Wang
Hughes
FA pitcher (Zambrano/Santana or someone else who eats innings)
Clippard, Sanchez, or Ohlendorf
Karstens, Chamberlain, Kennedy, or Betances

that doesnt even include our best left handed prospect who will be in A+ ball, or many other arms that could make it. Our pitching is VERY deep.

jacksonianmarch
03-26-2007, 09:21 AM
btw, if anyone else goes down, expect Ohlendorf to be the next one chosen. He is the one most ready for the bigs as he threw 180 innings in AA last yr. He is the only one who is stretched out enough to handle a full season +.

AlexanderTheGreat13
03-26-2007, 11:00 AM
I was wondering why they wouldnt give Ohlendorf a chance now. I thought of all of these guys he had the best spring. His sinker was outstanding.

jacksonianmarch
03-26-2007, 11:07 AM
your sig is hilarious, you know you can place it in your sig like this.

http://nomaas.org/images/kaplerftl.gif

ORS
03-26-2007, 11:07 AM
No, but logic says that Hughes will be in that rotation as will Wang. Out of the AAA rotation this yr, one will likely stick. And then consider that Mussina and Pettitte will be throwing in NY through 2008. By 2009, my guess at our rotation will be

Wang
Hughes
FA pitcher (Zambrano/Santana or someone else who eats innings)
Clippard, Sanchez, or Ohlendorf
Karstens, Chamberlain, Kennedy, or Betances

that doesnt even include our best left handed prospect who will be in A+ ball, or many other arms that could make it. Our pitching is VERY deep.
Jackson, I'll eat my hat, and yours, if one of your '06 draft picks are making the '09 rotation. Your best pitching prospect in of the last decade or so isn't even making the rotation after his first two full-years of professional ball. Dude, be realistic.

ORS
03-26-2007, 11:08 AM
your sig is hilarious, you know you can place it in your sig like this.

http://nomaas.org/images/kaplerftl.gif

No, you can't. No pics in your sig. I like it that way too. I hate sites with about 10% content and 90% sigs.

jacksonianmarch
03-26-2007, 11:09 AM
I am being realistic. I dont think Betances touches the majors, but he will be considered. I think Chamberlain or Kennedy certainly could. Both are college players, something Hughes is not. And both will start one level higher than Hughes did in his first full yr. Chamberlain and Kennedy are both going to start in High A Tampa with both being slated for midseason callups to Trenton if they pitch well. If everything goes well with those two, they will start in Scranton next season.

jacksonianmarch
04-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Wang threw a 40 pitch pen on flat ground and reported no probs today. Still on schedule for the last week of april.

schillingouttheks
04-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Well, the good thing for the Yanks is that Wang will be back when it starts to matter for them. The Yanks always seem to suck for the majority of April and turn it on beginning late April/early May. If injuries were to happen, now's the time.

jacksonianmarch
04-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Well, the good thing for the Yanks is that Wang will be back when it starts to matter for them. The Yanks always seem to suck for the majority of April and turn it on beginning late April/early May. If injuries were to happen, now's the time.

agreed.

TheKilo
10-08-2007, 11:46 PM

lol

Mr Crunchy
10-09-2007, 07:18 AM
good job kilo
forgive everyone but forget nothing
this was the reason i was glad clemens went to ny
his cancerous presence.

every time one of their young uns feels like he cant get it done and hes facing an uphill battle,he can think about the day his hero,the living legend,walked off the field down 2 games and 3 runs while complaining about the same hamstring that only flares up every odd year in the post season...gotta have a bad hamstring if you want to be considered courageous...fuckem