PDA

View Full Version : Was Scott Brosius really clutch?

CrespoBlows
04-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Scott Brosius postseason BA /OBP / SLG: .245 / .278 / .418
Scott Brosius ALDS BA / OBP / SLG: .167 / .196 / .259

I don't understand why sportswriters, and YES Network Yankee fans, long for the days of Scott Brosius. He hit one homerun in the World Series, a series the Yankees would go on to LOSE. In that same series, he fucked over the Yankees by not throwing out Jay Bell on an easy DP chance. He had a good 1998 WS, but the Padres weren't coming back from a 2-0 deficit anyway. (And that really is just one series)

So, can anyone explain what the hell was so good about this guy?

jacksonianmarch
04-06-2007, 09:35 AM
He was the MVP of the 98 WS if I am not mistaken. He hit 2 homers in game 3, the game we came back to win and sealed the deal. In the 98 world series, he hit .471 with 2HR and 6RBI. That series cemented his legacy.

yankees228
04-06-2007, 09:51 AM
He was the MVP of the 98 WS if I am not mistaken. He hit 2 homers in game 3, the game we came back to win and sealed the deal. In the 98 world series, he hit .471 with 2HR and 6RBI. That series cemented his legacy.

Right, and the second HR in that game was the three run shot off Hoffman which all but ended the series. He probably wasn't the most clutch player on the team, but Yankee fans like him because he was simply a member of three of the four World Series teams. However, I could not agree more with Crespo about the double play in the ninth inning of Game 7. He had a very good shot at throwing Bell out on the second bunt of the inning.

CrespoBlows
04-06-2007, 10:00 AM

We're looking at things in a macro point of view, not just putting one series under a microscope.

I thought if you were clutch, you had to sustain that success over a long period of time?

He probably wasn't the most clutch player on the team, but Yankee fans like him because he was simply a member of three of the four World Series teams.

Best analysis of Brosius I've read.

jacksonianmarch
04-06-2007, 10:06 AM
We're looking at things in a macro point of view, not just putting one series under a microscope.

I thought if you were clutch, you had to sustain that success over a long period of time?

Crespo, yankee fans are for the most part very fickle and most of us are stupid when it comes to who we adore and who we hate. For god sakes, Bubba Crosby was an icon in NY. But one thing is prevalent in NY. If you are instrumental in a world series win, you will be honored in the minds of yankee fans. But the worst part is, we never had to deal with a sox series win. ARod was the face of the yankees 2003-2004 transition from a pitching team with timely hitting to a hitting team with sparce pitching. That team was the biggest choking team in MLB history and couldnt be the gatekeepers on something yankee fans always cherished, their dominance over the sox known as the curse. ARod is the face of the curse breaking, not any of the red sox who actually broke the curse. Fair or unfair, we wont warm to ARod until he "sets everything right" and wins a WS. It doesnt help that he makes it easy for us to hate him by choking on everything he gets his hands on and disappearing in the playoffs.

yankees228
04-06-2007, 10:09 AM

Well, I for one try not to look at things through rose colored glasses. Brosius, especially in his last two years, was not very good to say the least. Especially in the postseason, excluding one very big hit. Brosius got a great deal of chances, and managed to come through in a few of them, including the 1998 World Series where he was the best player on the field. But I think he was more of a fan favorite than anything else.

Crespo, did you read about the Jay Bell bunt thing somewhere, or are you just remembering it from when it happened?

yankees228
04-06-2007, 10:12 AM
ARod is the face of the curse breaking, not any of the red sox who actually broke the curse. Fair or unfair, we wont warm to ARod until he "sets everything right" and wins a WS. It doesnt help that he makes it easy for us to hate him by choking on everything he gets his hands on and disappearing in the playoffs.

Not to make this thread about A-Rod, but don't group all the Yankees fan together in terms of their feelings towards A-Rod. The fans that boo him everytime are the ones that thing that players, simply because they're Yankees, should come through 7 out of 10 times.

jacksonianmarch
04-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Not to make this thread about A-Rod, but don't group all the Yankees fan together in terms of their feelings towards A-Rod. The fans that boo him everytime are the ones that thing that players, simply because they're Yankees, should come through 7 out of 10 times.

I dont put him in that category though. Every time he comes up with a chance to tie or win a game late, he chokes. It is what he does.

yankees228
04-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I dont put him in that category though. Every time he comes up with a chance to tie or win a game late, he chokes. It is what he does.

As recent as Monday he created the run that ended up winning them the game.