PDA

View Full Version : April 9th Yankees @ Twins

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Carla Pussana vs Fat boy Ponson. First to 100 runs win!

In all seriousness, the yankees finally get a reprieve from the chill that has been burying them in the northeast. And with the controlled temp should come some better control of their breaking stuff. Except, Pavano isnt the one that suffered from control problems.

Pavano was masterful through 4 innings in his last start, then looked gassed. His long layoff and multitude of injuries has left him without some stamina (and likely a reason why all his playthings have left him recently as well). If he can get his arm strength and stamina back to what it was, he could be effective.

The big games I look forward to will be the next 2 with Pettitte and Mussina taking the hill. Both had fits trying to get their curves over in the frost of NY, they should have more success with their location this time around.

26 Reasons to Hate Us
04-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Let's try to do this right:

New York (2-3) at Minnesota (4-1), 7:05 p.m. ET

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/punchouticon.png vs. http://members.aol.com/gallery7v/punch7.jpg
Carl Pavano (0-0, 8.31) Sidney Ponson (0-0, 0.00)

Pavano, Yanks open set against Twins
New York (2-3) at Minnesota (4-1), 7:05 p.m. ET
By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com
Every Yankee starter has now had his chance, and not one has been able crack the elusive sixth inning in New York. And while the offense has kept the team somewhat afloat, the fleeting outings are creating early troubles for the bullpen -- so much so that starter Andy Pettitte was forced into relief duty in a 6-4 loss to Baltimore on Sunday.
So now it's time to try again. Carl Pavano will get his second shot at reversing the trend on Monday, when the team opens a three-game set in Minnesota.

"We all expect more of ourselves, and obviously, taxing the bullpen like that doesn't do anybody any good," Pavano said. "It's early, but it's something definitely that we need to focus on."

Pavano will be trying to right a Yankees team that lost three of the past four in freezing New York temperatures. The right-hander struggled in his brief Opening Day start -- ultimately taking a no-decision in a 9-5 Yankees win -- but has not pitched since then. He will take the mound on an extra two days' rest, in the inviting warmth of the Metrodome.

"He'll probably be a little more comfortable," manager Joe Torre said. "I thought he ran out of gas, and maybe part of that was anxiety because he hadn't been out there competing in a long time. I'm curious, and I'm looking forward to his start."

Pavano will oppose former Yankee Sidney Ponson, who will be debuting with his fourth team in the past three years. Ponson is making his first start of the season after posting a combined 4-5 record and 6.25 ERA with both the Yankees and Cardinals last year.

Pitching matchup
NYY: RHP Carl Pavano (0-0, 8.31 ERA)
Pavano struggled through Opening Day while his defense struggled behind him, as he allowed five runs -- four earned -- in just 4 1/3 innings. The former National Leaguer has never faced Minnesota in his 10-year Major League career.

MIN: RHP Sidney Ponson (4-5, 6.25 ERA in 2006)
Ponson has started 26 career games against the Yankees, his most against any team. The right-hander holds a 6-12 lifetime record against New York, with a 4.63 ERA. He hasn't faced the Bombers since 2005, however, when he was 1-0 against them in two starts with Baltimore.

Player to watch
Few Twins have much history against Pavano other than Luis Castillo. The speedy second baseman has just six hits in 23 career at-bats against the right-hander, but he has also swiped four bases off his former Marlins teammate. Castillo is off to a hot start this season, batting .381 through the season's first week.

Ponson, Twins set to face Yanks
New York (2-3) at Minnesota (4-1), 6:05 p.m. CT
By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com
Facing the Yankees is always a difficult challenge for the Twins, no matter who is in the team's lineup.
But the Yankees will be missing one of their stars for the entire three-game series at the Metrodome that begins on Monday.

The Yankees will be without left fielder Hideki Matsui after he was placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a strained left hamstring. It was an injury that Matsui suffered while trying to run out a ground ball Friday.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said that you never want to see a player get hurt, but he admitted that missing out on Matsui for the series wasn't exactly bad news for him.

"Am I disappointed? No," Gardenhire said. "I enjoy watching him play but as a manager, I don't mind that he's going to miss some of our games. That's OK."

Still, Gardenhire said that the task of trying to beat the famed club won't be made any easier in Matsui's absence. With a lineup that includes plenty of power in Alex Rodriguez and Jason Giambi as well as consistent hitting in Derek Jeter and Robinson Cano, the Yankees have their fair share of talent to throw an opponent's way.

"No matter if it's Matsui or not, they'll have another great hitter in there," Gardenhire said. "Believe me, it's the Yankees. They've got a bunch of good baseball players. When Cano is hitting like eighth, that's a good lineup. Doug Mientkiewicz is hitting ninth, and he hit third for me. That tells you a little about the Yankees lineup."

With or without certain people in the lineup, the series between the Twins and the Yankees is always one that brings an extra excitement to the Metrodome. And this time, the players themselves seem to be a little more amped for the series -- even if it is just to get out of the cold they experienced this weekend while playing two games in Chicago.

"Oh dome sweet dome," Michael Cuddyer said with a laugh. "Everybody talks about how bad the Metrodome is but playing these two games out here, it's nice to be going back to Minneapolis and playing in the dome again."

What awaits the Twins when they do return home is a series against a club that has proven to be quite a difficult opponent in recent years. The Twins are 17-30 against the Yankees over the past six seasons. Most of the Twins' troubles have been on the road against the club as they've won just one series at Yankee Stadium since 1992, but there is always quite a battle that has gone on at the Metrodome, especially over the past couple seasons. That's because the Twins have won three straight series at home over New York.

But while there have been plenty of pundits that say this upcoming series will be a good early test to see where the Twins stack up against quality competition, the players are trying to take it as just another series.

"I'm just going to go out there and play," Torii Hunter said. "The Yankees are just another team, just like I played the White Sox, the Orioles, I'm going to attack the same way. Go out there and just try to win."

Pitching matchup
MIN: RHP Sidney Ponson (4-5, 6.25 ERA in 2006)
It's been a different Ponson that arrived at Twins camp this spring. With his weight in check and a focus on pitching for groundouts, Ponson has turned himself into an efficient, work-horse pitcher. The hope for the Twins is that he maintains that attitude into the season and doesn't let things fall apart like he did in some outings this spring, when his ball got up in the strikezone. In his career against the Yankees, Ponson is 6-12 with a 4.63 ERA.

NYY: RHP Carl Pavano (0-0, 8.31 ERA)
Now that Pavano has finally erased June 27, 2005, from the public consciousness, the right-hander's task is to continue taking turns around the rotation. Pavano didn't allow the atmosphere of Opening Day nor some sloppy defense to derail his effort against the Devil Rays; more accurately, he ran low on gas in the fifth inning, but the start was still a stepping-stone. As he learned Monday, the Yankees will score runs -- all Pavano needs to do to win a few games is pitch competently.

Player to watch
Jeff Cirillo is a career 6-for-11 hitter off Pavano with a home run and a walk. Despite having been limited to only pinch-hitting this weekend due to a sore left knee, Cirillo is expected to be used in a larger capacity once the club returns back to the dome.

TheKilo
04-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Hahaha nice pictures.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Mac does look a lot like Pavano. It is almost scary.

Optimist
04-09-2007, 11:34 AM
I wonder if Cairo is available to pitch today.

I shouldn't joke...it might happen. :o

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
I wonder if Cairo is available to pitch today.

I shouldn't joke...it might happen. :o

Good or bad, Pavano will throw 6 innings today. i think Torre is dubbing this pussy the sacrificial lamb.

yankees228
04-09-2007, 01:22 PM
The big games I look forward to will be the next 2 with Pettitte and Mussina taking the hill. Both had fits trying to get their curves over in the frost of NY, they should have more success with their location this time around.

The problem I have with this is that it didn't seem like Mussina had any command of his fastball either. It seemed like it was either out of the strike zone, or in a really hittable location. But hopefully he throws strikes with his FB and offspeed stuff, and goes deep in the game.

As for tonight's game, it seems probable that we'll be watching another slugfest. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to put up a decent amount of runs tonight, especially with Damon back in the lineup. As for the bullpen, Pettitte pitching an inning yesterday basically saved Bruney from having to work consecutive days. So he should be ready for a sixth inning appearance if Pavano can only go five. I'd rather not even think about the possibility of Pavano not even getting through five. Farnsworth hasn't pitched in a few days so he should be capable of handling the eighth. Vizcaino only faced a batter yesterday, but he also pitched on Saturday. It would be very nice to get this win tonight with Pettitte and Mussina going in the next two.

EDIT: After owning the Twins for the early part of this decade, including a long win streak, they haven't won a regular season series in the Metrodome since 2003.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 01:24 PM
The pen has been filthy. Problem is, you can only feed the monster so much until he pukes. (Old southern saying I picked up in Florida).

yankees228
04-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Off topic, but speaking of pitching, has anyone heard a specific target date for Wang's return? I noticed that they play up in Fenway from the 20th - 22th. That seems right around the time where he would return.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Off topic, but speaking of pitching, has anyone heard a specific target date for Wang's return? I noticed that they play up in Fenway from the 20th - 22th. That seems right around the time where he would return.

I think that was the target, but right now, I think they be careful with him and work him back into the rotation for the first week of May. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets a rehab start or two.

shortstop
04-09-2007, 02:35 PM
I read somewhere this morning that Torre said Wang would have at least two minor league starts.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 02:51 PM
I read somewhere this morning that Torre said Wang would have at least two minor league starts.

this is where I agree with him. Wang never finished ST and the last thing we need is for him to be rushed and hurt his arm while recovering from a leg injury. It happens more than you can know.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 06:03 PM
our rotation has a 9.97ERA and our bullpen has a 1.16. Wow.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Man, Ponson is bringing back some seriously bad memories.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Top 1st

leadoff double for Damon, nice start. Broken bat bloop that Damon hustled out.

Jeter with the infield hit, Damon to third. Damon running nicely.

Ponson sitting low 90s and leaving it FAT. CMON YANKEES

Abreu RBI single to CF, Jeter to second. Ponson is getting slapped hard. Yankees up 1-0.

Arod takes a cockshot down the middle. 0-1. ARod lines out to RF, Jeter tags and goes to third. ARod is hitting the ball right on the sweet part of the bat thus far.

Giambi takes 2 balls and 1 strike. This ump has a SMALL zone. 3-1, the last 2 pitches were down the middle. Giambi walks on a pitch that was way outside. Sacks packed, Ponson is visibly losing it out there.

Posada takes a worse pitch than the 2 that Giambi had called a ball and the ump calls the strike. 0-1. Posada slaps one to LF and the OFer misplays it. It is a ground rule double, yankees up 3-0 with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out.

Cano flies out on first pitch to shallow left, Giambi holds at 3rd. 2 outs.

Monkeybitch takes a cockshot. 0-1. Ponson misses high with the sinker, 1-1. Monkeybitch hits a high chopper to SS, 3 outs.

End of top of 1st. Yankees lead 3-0.

mynameisryangomes
04-09-2007, 06:18 PM
igawa would pitch better without those shades. he looks like a 90 year old grandma

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Bottom 1st

Castillo to leadoff vs Carla Pussano
First pitch misses in, 1-0. Castillo bunts foul, 1-1. Pavana misses high, 2-1. Looking fanfuckingtastic again. Misses WAY too high again. 3-1. Great fucking idea Carl, walk the leadoff guy who steals bases. Douche. Cockshot taken, full count. Castillo hits the ball off the plate and Jeter has no chance, leadoff infield single.

Runner on 1st, 0 outs, Nick Punto to the plate. First pitch misses outside. FIRST PITCH STRIKES YOU JERK!!! Pavano looks like a gay italian horse on the mound. Foul ball by Punto. 1-1 count. The gaping vagina continues to throw over to 1st, hopefully he wont pull his ass muscles again. JERK. Punto flies out to Melky in LF, runner on 1st, 1 out.

Mauer to the plate, Castillo on 1st, 1 out. Pavano tries to throw the ball away but Monkeybitch saves him. First pitch down the middle to Mauer and he takes. 0-1. Pavano hits the outside corner at the knees but the ump isnt giving it. 1-1. Pavano gets Mauer to ground back to his injury prone ass and he starts the DP.

Inning over, 1 hit, 0 runs, 0 runners left.

1 INNING WHERE THE YANKEE ROTATION DOESNT ALLOW A RUN!!!!!!

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Top 2nd

Melky then the top to face the fat toad part deux.
In true Melky style he slaps a foul ball on a first pitch ball. Ponson then misses high. 1-1. Melky hits a high chopper to SS, just got him. 1 out.

Damon to the dish, 1 out, no one on. First pitch single up the middle, Johnny is one FIRE. 4 for his last 4.

Fat toad is getting lit up. Jeter to the dish, Johnny on first, 1 out. Ponson throws a nice curve to start the AB. 0-1. Jeter inside outs a weak flyball to RF. 2 out.

Abreu to the dish, 2 out, Damon on first. Abreu hitting .316 with a .440OBP. The sox didnt need him, no way. Ponson bounces one, 1-0. Ponson throws a curve down the middle and the ump hesitated in calling it a strike. Seriously, open the zone. 1-1. Ponson misses inside with a sinker, 2-1 count. Ponson misses with a sinker low, 3-1. Bobby out in front of a cockshot changeup, full count. Bobby fouls a hanger off, man he should have crushed that. Bobby with an emergency hack, foul ball. Damon has been running for 3 pitches now, dont get hurt!!! Abreu fouls another one off, this one down the 1b line. Bobby crushes that one, HOMERUN BOBBY ABREU!!!!! 5-0

Fat toad getting raked. First pitch to ARod misses down. 1-0. Ponson afraid of contact now, not even close. 2-0. Arod swings at a pitchers pitch on 2-0 and grounds out to 3rd. 3 down.

2 runs, 2 hits, nobody left on. After one and a half, yankees lead 5-0.

riverside sluggers
04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Odd the Twins dont have Cirillo in for tonights game

Carl Pavano (1st career appearance vs Minnesota)
Luis Castillo, 6 for 23 (.261 avg) 5 Ks, 4 SBs
Nick Punto, 0 for 1, Walk
Joe Mauer ---
Michael Cuddyer ---
Justin Morneau ---
Torii Hunter ---
Jason Kubel ---
Mike Redmond, 0 for 2, Walk
Jason Bartlett ---
///
Jeff Cirillo, 6 for 11 (.455 avg) HR, 2 RBIs, Walk, 2 Ks
Jason Tyner, 0 for 1

Sydney Ponson (27 games vs New York, 6-12 record with a 4.63 ERA---Career at Metrodome in 5 games, 3-2 record with a 2.95 ERA)
Johnny Damon, 16 for 49 (.327 avg) Double, Triple, HR, 9 RBIs, 7 Walks, 2 Ks, 4 SBs
Derek Jeter, 27 for 74 (.365 avg) 3 Doubles, 5 HRs, 12 RBIs, 5 Walks, 9 Ks, 2 SBs
Bobby Abreu, 6 for 18 (.333 avg) 3 Doubles, 2 HRs, 6 RBIs, 3 Walks, 7 Ks
Alex Rodriguez, 12 for 65 (.185 avg) 5 HRs, 16 RBIs, 3 Walks, 19 Ks, SB
[B]Jason Giambi, 16 for 38 (.421 avg) 2 HRs, 8 RBIs, 13 Walks, 3 Ks, SB
Jorge Posada, 15 for 51 (.294 avg) 2 Doubles, HR, 3 RBIs, 6 Walks, 12 Ks
Robinson Cano, 2 for 4 (.500 avg) HR, RBI
Doug Mientkiewicz, 3 for 11 (.273 avg) RBI, 7 Walks, 3 Ks
Melky Cabrera ---
///
Miguel Cairo, 8 for 27 (.296 avg) 3 Doubles, 2 Ks
Josh Phelps, 4 for 12 (.333 avg) HR, 3 RBIs, 3 Ks

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 06:39 PM
it is odd. It is also odd that Pavano is actually still on this team. BTW, is the gameday appreciated?

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Bottom 2nd

Pavano to face 4-5-6.

Pavano vs Cuddyer. First pitch cockshot down the middle. 0-1. Pavano hangs one and Cuddyer leads off with a double down the left field line.

Cuddyer on second, nobody out, Morneau to the plate. Carla misses high. 1-0. Carla misses away, 2-0. This fucker better get his shit straight. God I hate this guy. Pavano leaves one down the middle and Morneau crushes one foul. 2-1. Pavano misses WAY too high. 3-1. Carla jams him and gets him to flyout to Abreu. Cuddyer could not advance. 1 out.

1 down, Cuddyer on 2nd, Torii to the plate. Pavano misses high twice, 2-0. THROW FIRST PITCH STRIKES YOU JERK!! Torii fouls one off his foot. 2-1. Torii grounds to Jeter, Cuddyer tries to advance and Jeter tags him out.

2 down, Hunter on first, Kubel to the dish. Kubel crushes the first pitch to the track, but Melky tracks it down.

0 runs, 1 hit, 1 left, and Pavano escapes again. He is missing and against a better hitting team, he'd be killed by now.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Top 3rd

Giambi to leadoff, Yankees up 5-0. Ponson misses away. 1-0. Giambi swings and misses, 1-1. Giambi fouls one weakly away, he is looking pretty fooled right now. 1-2. Giambi swings at one at his eyes, 1 down.

Posada to the dish, 1 down, nobody on. Ponson nearly hits Jorge, ball 1. Ponson misses wide with a fastball. 2-0. Ponson misses away with the curve. 3-0. Ponson hits the outside corner with the sinker. 3-1. Ponson misses low, ball four.

Posada on 1st, 1 out, Cano to the dish. Robby took a pitch?? Wow. Ponson puts the curve on the inside corner, 0-1. Robby chops one to Castillo, too slow for a DP. Posada forced at 2nd.

2 down, Cano on first. Monkeybitch to the dish. First pitch low, sinker. 1-0. Monkeybitch hits a screaming liner to RF, but the play is made.

0 runs, 0 hits, 1 left on. Yankees lead 5-0.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Bottom 3rd

Pavano to the mound for his third inning of work. They should call him Houdini. Too many pitches down the middle. Too many pitches hit on the screws. He better pitch better or they will murder him.

Pavano to Redmond, first pitch misses away. Second pitch fouled off. 1-1 count. Pavano leaves another cockshot which is bounced off the turf. Jeter makes a good play to field it, but shorthops Minky, but the gold glover makes it look easy. 1 down.

1 down nobody on. Bartlett to the dish. Pavano misses in. 1-0. Pavano hits the outside corner with the 2 seamer, 1-1. 91mph heat fouled off. 1-2. Pavano throws it HIGH, 2-2. Pavano gets the high strike call on the 2 seamer, 2 down.

2 down, nobody out and Pavano is cruising now. Castillo to the dish. First pitch chopper to ARod, who makes a very nice play.

0 runs, 0 hits, 0 left on.

End of the 3rd, Yankees lead 5-0.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Top 4th

Melky then the top to face fat toad.
Melky looks like he is too impatient this yr. ORS may be right about him. His patience last yr may have been an aberration. It looks like he is too afraid to K these days, as he certainly isnt jumping the gun for good pitches. First pitch bounced at his ankles, 1-0. Sinker down, 2-0. Sinker hits the outside corner, 2-1. Sinker hits the inside corner, 2-2. Melky working the count after I bash him for it. Melky fouls off a hanger down the middle. Ponson misses the inside corner with the 2 seamer. Melky chops a sinker to Morneau. 1 down.

1 down, nobody on, Damon to the dish. They are booing him for some reason, lots of sox fans in Minny? Ponson misses down and in with the curve. Ponson leaves a change high, but Damon doesnt swing 1-1 count. Damon grounds out to SS, 2 down.

2 down, nobody on, captain to the dish. Jeter 1 for 2 with a single and a run. First pitch misses down and away. 1-0. Second pitch hit jeter on the belt buckle, more like grazed him.

Jeter on 1st, Abreu at the dish. Bobby is 2 for 2 with a homer and 3 RBI. Bobby takes a 2 seamer at the knees. 0-1. Bobby wanted to swing at that one 0-2, sinker on the inside corner at the knees. Abreu takes another 2 seamer down the middle. Strike 3.

0 runs, 0 hits, 1 man left, Yankees lead 5-0.

riverside sluggers
04-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Pavano crusing on 33 pitches thru 3 innings, almost on pace to pitch the most a Yankee starter has gone this season... 5.1 innings

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Bottom 4th

Pavano for his 4th inning of work, and he is cruising. He is pitching to contact today, and even though he has made his share of mistakes, his pitch count is low and he is moving to this point. KEEP IT UP YA BIG PUSSY! Pavano at 33 pitches through 3.

And yes RS, he is cruising.

Punto to the dish, Pavano loops a curve in there. 0-1. Pavano with a filthy sinker, swing and a miss, 0-2. Pavano just misses down and away with the splitty. 1-2. Pavano jams Punto with a 2 seamer and Cabrera makes the play, 1 down.

1 out, nobody on, Mauer to the plate. First pitch in there, 0-1. Next pitch misses down and in, 2 seamer, 1-1. Pavano misses away with some sort of breaking ball that spun. 2-1. Pavano jams Mauer, blooper caught by Jeter, 2 down.

2 down, nobody on, Cuddyer to the dish. 91 mph heat down the middle and it is a ball? 1-0. Ump has a SMALL zone. 2 seamer misses a bit lower, 2-0. Pavano throws same pitch as the first in this sequence, called a strike this time. 2-1. Pavano gets Cuddyer to ground it hard to Monkeybitch, Dougie dives, makes the play and the flip to Pussano.

0 runs, 0 hits, nobody left on base. End of 4, Yankee lead 5-0.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Top 5th

Arod fouls off first pitch from Ponson, 0-1. ARod hits a screamer to SS, should have made the play, but Bartlett fumbles it and ARod reaches on an error.

ARod on 1st, Giambi to the dish. 0 outs. Ponson misses in with the sinker. 1-0. Ponson misses away with the sinker. 2-0. Ponson at 72 pitches. Ponson hangs one to Giambi who singles into the 1st-2nd base hole and ARod moves to 2nd.

Giambi on 1st, ARod at 2nd, 0 outs. Posada to the dish. First pitch swinging, fouled into the stands along the left field line. Ponson hangs another one and Posada ropes one right to the LFer, Kubel. 1 away.

1 out, runners on 1st and 2nd. Cano to the dish. Cano chases one at his ankles, fouls it off to the right side, 0-1. Cano has an 18 game hit streak on the line. Cano hits a routine flyball to RCF, Hunter makes the play. ARod to 3rd on the flyout. 2 down.

Monkeybitch to the dish, 2 down, runners on 1st and 3rd. Ponson gets the call below the knees, 0-1. Ponson hangs a curve outside, 1-1. Minky, swing the goddamn stick buddy, you coudl have crushed that one. Minky takes the hanger directly to the SS, who flips for the force.

0 runs, 1 hit, 1 error, 2 left. Yankee lead 5-0.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Bottom 5th

Morneau, Hunter, and Kubel due up. Pavano at 45 pitches through 4.

I must say, Pavano is missing here and there, but he is pitching to contact and he is locating his curve, something that hasnt happened with any of our pitchers thus far. It will be interesting to see how far Joe lets him go, but I'd give him enough rope to hang himself with.

Morneau to the dish. First pitch sinker, misses away 1-0. FIRST PITCH STRIKES PLEASE!!!!. Pavano gets Morneau to sky out to Jeter. 1 down

1 down, nobody on, Hunter to the dish. First pitch sinker, misses inside. 4 seamer up and Hunter cannot catch up to the 91mph. 1-1. Pavano nearly gets decapitated, Hunter singles up the middle.

Hunter on first, 1 down, Kubel to the dish. NASTY sinker, somehow called a ball. 1-0. Pavano pretends he has a good move. STOP TRYING TO GET THE RUNNER, GET THE HITTER CARLA, JEEZ!!! Carla misses high, 2-0. Wake up Carl, who cares about Hunter at 1st. Kubel fouls a high FB off. 2-1. His 4 seamer has some tilt to it, interesting. Hunter takes 2nd on a ball, Posada with a poor throw. Hunter would have been dead by a mile with a good throw. 3-1 to Kubel, Hunter on 2nd. Kubel nearly de-balls Pussano with an RBI single up the middle. Yankees lead 5-1 now.

Kubel on 1st, 1 down, Redmond to the dish. GET THE GROUNDER CARLA!!! First pitch swinging to Jeter, 6-3 DP, end of the inning.

1 run, 2 hits, nobody left on base. End of the 5th, Yankees lead 5-1

yankees228
04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Waste there. Had an oppurtunity to really put the game out of reach. Nice to see Giambi get a hit though, maybe that'll get him going.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Top 6th

Cabrera then the top. Monkeybitch has now ended 3 innings with his fantastic swing, NOT. His glove has helped twice today though, and that may be immeasureable with Carla on the hill.

Also, Carl is pitching to contact with a good sinker and a nice curve today. He got hit around a bit last inning, but he knows this team isnt gonna take him deep so long as he pitches the M & M boys tough. Good outing to this point. Hopefully he can go two more.

Cabrera to the dish to lead off the inning. Ponson misses high to start the AB. Second pitch swinging, Cabrera banjoes a grounder to the SS. 1 down.

Nobody on, 1 out, Damon to the dish. Apparently that pitch was a ball, 1-0. Second pitch, a nice curve over the plate, 1-1. Next pitch curve was high, but the ump called it a strike. 1-2. Ponson working fast now. Next pitch, 2 seamer high. 2-2. 2 seamer misses low, full count. Next pitch at the knees called a ball. This ump is giving nothing low, everything high and nothing on the corners. Damon walks

Damon on first, Jeter to the dish, 1 away. Jeter 1 for 2 with a HBP. Ponson hits the outside corner with the heater. 0-1. Guerrier in the pen warming, this could be Ponson's last inning/batter. Jeter swings at a ball and fouls it off down the third base line. 0-2. Jeter with a punch and judy single to RF, Damon thrown out at 3rd. Jeter moves to 2nd on the throw.

2 down, Jeter at 2nd Abreu to the dish. Abreu with a homer and 3RBI today. First pitch to abreu hangs high and outside, 1-0. Abreu way too out in front of that curve, no swing, called a strike. 1-1. Abreu with an infield single to the SS who kept it in the infield, but Jeter never stopped and scored. Abreu with his 4th RBI of the game. Yankees lead 6-1.

ARod to the dish, Abreu on 1st. First pitch misses away with the curve, 1-0. 2 down. AROD CRUSHES THIS ONE, HOMERUN!!!!!! OPPO!!!!! Yankees lead 8-1

PITCHING CHANGE: Gardenhire pulls Ponson for Gurrier. The final line for Ponson is 5.2IP 10H 8ER 2K 3BB and 2 Homeruns.

On a side note, ARod is absolutely on fire. He has stung the ball a few times today, then drills an oppo tater over the baggy in RCF. Something is clicking with him these days, he is untouchable.

2 down, nobody on, Giambi to the plate. First pitch by Guerrier looks like a change, hits the inside corner, 0-1. Next pitch just misses Giambi with the heat, 1-1. What a deuce, Giambi misses it by a mile, 1-2. Giambi just not clicking to this point. Up and in, Bat EXPLODES. Morneau to Guerrier, end of inning.

3 runs, 3 hits nobody left on base. Yankees lead it, 8-1.

yankees228
04-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Melky really looks lost right now. Not to make this look like a knee jerk reaction to the first few games on this season, but maybe they should have traded him when his stock was high.

See Red
04-09-2007, 07:42 PM
A-Rod will be MVP. If I'm him, I'm opting out just to spite the front running Yankee fans.

edit: And he may just carry me to Fantasy Baseball supremacy in one of my leagues.

HeadOfSoxNation
04-09-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm opting out just to spite the front running Yankee fans.

I'm opting out to turn my $70 million into $140 million.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Bottom 6th

Pavano dealing...wait, did I really just say that? 56 pitches through 5IP, and Pavano is entering uncharted territory for a yankee starter.

As for ARod, if he continues to play like this, Cashman will negotiate with him. He is amazing right now.

Bartlett leading it off, fastball hits the outside corner, 0-1. 2 seamer misses away, 1-1. 4 seamer stung hard by Bartlett, right to Damon, 1 down.

Nobody on, 1 down, Castillo to the dish. Changeup placed well on the outside corner. 0-1. Castillo with a baltimore chopper to Jeter who shorthops it and throws him out on the run. That is a GREAT play. 2 down.

Punto to the dish. 2 down, nobody on. Punto squares around, but takes the curve outside, ball 1. Curve grounded to Minky, 1-2-3 inning.

0 runs, 0 hits, 0 men left.

End of 6, Yankees lead 8-1.

yankees228
04-09-2007, 07:48 PM
How many pitches has Carl thrown so far?

See Red
04-09-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm opting out to turn my $70 million into $140 million.

Yeah, that's what I meant... :lol:

There's plenty of things you can do with that extra $70 million to spite Yankees fans...

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Top 7th

The yankees offense is in rare form. ARod looks fantastic. Abreu has stung the ball hard, Jeter is making good contact. Damon is on fire, and even better, Pavano is earning some of that bank.

Posada to lead off. Guerrier stays in. Yankees up 8-1. Posada check swings, but went around on the curve, 0-1. Big loopy curve misses low, 1-1. Loopy curve misses away, 2-1. 4 seam fastball on the outside corner, called a ball. 3-1. Posada swings through a 91 mph sinker down and in, full count. Posada just misses the heat down the middle, flies out to Hunter, 1 away.

1 down, nobody on, Cano to the dish. Guerrier misses away. 1-0. Guerrier misses in, 2-0. Cano took 2 pitches?? Wow. Cano swings at a 2-0 pitch at his ankles and fouls it off. 2-1. Cmon Robby. Robby hits a hard grounder to Castillo who makes a nice sliding play to gun him down. 2 down.

2 down, nobody on and Minky has a chance to end 4 innings with his scalding hot bat. Loopy curve in there, 0-1. Minky chases a curve in the dirt, 0-2. One more strike and he can be in elite company. Minky pulls an outside pitch to Morneau who flips to Guerrier, end of the inning.

0 runs, 0 hits, nobody left. Middle of the 7th, Yankees lead 8-1.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Bottom 7th

Pavano dealing at 63 pitches through 6 innings. 4 hits, no walks, 1 K. Throwing strikes and getting results is the way to go. EVERYONE ELSE IN OUR ROTATION, WATCH AND FUCKING LEARN!!!

Mauer, Cuddyer, and Morneau set to hit.

Mauer leads it off. 4 seamer hits the outside corner at the knees, good pitch, 0-1. 2 seamer misses inside. 1-1. Does Torre know that with this lead, Proctor doesnt have to come in??? Carl misses outside, 2-1. 4 seamer misses the outside corner. STOP ABUSING OUR RELIEVERS JOE!!!. Mauer laces one over Damon's head for a leadoff double.

Mauer at second, nobody out, Cuddyer at the dish. JOE, HOLD YOUR HORSES, WE HAVE A LEAD, STOP THE PEN ABUSE!!! Guidry to the mound, no doubt to tell Carl to stop being a pussy. Dirrty sinker swung on and missed. 0-1. 89 mph sinker fouled off down the 3rd base line. He is losing his velocity a bit. 0-2 count. FILTHY splitter, swung on and missed.

1 down, Mauer at 2nd, Morneau to the plate. Curveball over for a strike, 0-1. 4 seamer in on the fists, popped up to Minky, 2 away.

Mauer at 2nd, 2 down, Torii to the plate. Pavano at 73 pitches. Hunter hits a missile off the wall, RBI double. Yankees lead 8-2

Melky fell on the warning track and looks a bit gimpy.

Hunter at 2nd, 2 down, Kubel to the dish. Filthy split, swung on and missed. 0-1. Curve misses down and in, 1-1. Pavano misses badly down and in, maybe it is time to pull Pavano. 2-1. Pavano misses in with the curve, 3-1. 4FB down the middle, Kubel scalds it right to Damon. end of inning.

1 run, 2 hits, 1 runner left on. After 7, Yankees lead 8-2.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Top 8th

If that was it for Pavano, what a game. 7 great innings pitched, he wasnt spectacular, but he pitched to contact and avoided the walk. Standing O for Carla.

PITCHING CHANGE: Dennys Reyes replaces Gurrier. Gurrier threw 1.1IP, 0ER, 0H, 0BB, 0K

Yankees at the dish, Melky then the top. Melky chops the first pitch into the ground. 1 down.

Damon to the dish. Fastball high, ball 1. Fastball down the middle, 1-1. Breaking ball down and away, 2-1. 1 down, nobody on base. Damon's bat explodes, grounder to 2nd, 2 down.

2 down, nobody on base, Jeter to the dish against the lefty Reyes. Jeter takes a fastball down the heart of the plate. Fastball misses inside. 1-1. Jeter singles up the middle, that is 3 hits for the captain.

2 outs, Jeter on first, Abreu at the dish. 4RBI for Bobby on the day with 3 hits and a homer. 4FB in the dirt, nice block by Mauer. 1-0. Change misses away. 2-0. Cutter misses away, 3-0. Fastball at the knees, 3-1. Fastball gets the inside corner, Abreu nearly walked to 1st. Abreu chases a ball in the dirt, Mauer throws out Abreu.

0 runs, 1 hit, 1 man left.

Yankees lead 8-2

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Bottom 8th

PITCHING CHANGE: Brian Bruney replaces Carl Pavano

Pavano's final line. 7IP 6H 2ER 2K 0BB. Stellar game and much needed from the rotation.

Bruney will face Redmond, Bartlett, and Castillo in the 8th.

Bruney misses high to Redmond with the ched. 1-0. redmond late on the ched, 1-1. Redmond late on it again, fouled back. 1-2. Bruney with the 94mph cheese, fouled back. Bruney is speeding his bat up. Time for the junk. 95mph heat misses low. 94 mph heat off the corner, Redmond couldnt hold up. 1 down.

1 down, nobody on. Bartlett to the dish. 94 mph cheese fouled off. Thus far, no breaking stuff. 88 mph slider just misses low. Bruney bounces the heat, 2-1. 94 mph heat grounded to Cano, 2 down.

2 down, nobody on base. Bruney throwing hard. Castillo to the dish. 3 choppers today, 1 he beat out for a hit. 94 mph heat on the inside corner. 0-1. 94 mph fastball grounded up the middle, Cano makes one hell of a play throwing the ball as his body is going away from 1st and gets Castillo by a step.

Bruney dominates the 8th. 0 runs, 0 hits, nobody left. Going to the 9th, Yankees lead 8-2.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Top 9th

ARod, Giambi, and Posada to hit in the 9th. Cano bats 4th and is 0 for 4 thus far. Right now he is sitting on an 18 game hitting streak.

PITCHING CHANGE Pat Neshek replaces Dennys Reyes

Reyes final line: 1IP 0ER 1H 0BB 1K

ARod to the dish to lead off the 9th. First pitch misses, 1-0. Slider misses up and away. 2-0. Sidearmer Neshek slinging frisbees. He misses away with the heat. 3-0. Sidenote, ARod has set a new record with 5HR in his first 6 games, no yankee has ever done that. Neshek hits his spot with the heat 3-1. Neshek misses away with the slider, Ball 4.

ARod on 1st, nobody out, Giambi to the dish. Giambi is 1 for 3 with a walk. Giambi fouls it off down the 1st base line. 0-1. Giambi late on the heat, fouls it away into the LF stands. 0-2 count on Giambi. Giambi takes a pitch that should have been strike 3 on the corner, but the ump missed it. 1-2. Neshek misses high with the heat, 2-2. Giambi fouls off the high heat, stays at 2-2. Giambi pops one up, Punto makes the catch in foul territory. 1 down

ARod on 1st, Posada at the dish. 1 down. Nice pitch on the inside corner. 0-1. Frisbee misses away. 1-1. Posada just got under it, Hunter catches is short of the track, 2 away.

2 down, ARod on 1st, Cano at the dish. Can he extend the hitting streak? First pitch fouled away. 0-1. Cano fouls another fastball away. He is late on Neshek. 0-2. Cano takes high and away with the heat, 1-2. Cano fouls one off down the left field line. 1-2 again. Cano fouls another away, the frisbee this time. Cano fouls another frisbee away. Nice AB from Robby. Cano fists one to 2b, his streak is likely over.

0 runs, 0 hits, 1 man left. Last licks for the twins, Yankees lead 8-2.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Bottom 9th

PITCHING CHANGE Kyle Farnsworth replaces Brian Bruney

Bruney's line: 1IP 0ER 0H 0BB 1K

Farns to close this one out against Punto, Mauer and Cuddyer.

Punto leads it off. Farns hasnt worked much to this point. 2IP 1H 1BB 1K 0ER. First pitch fastball misses away. 1-0. Second pitch misses away 2-0. Farns may not like this small zone. Fastball misses 3-0. This guy sucks. Farns misses wildly, ball 4. Fanfuckingtastic.

Punto on 1st, 0 outs. Mauer to the dish. Can Farnsy blow it? We shall see. Farns hits the outside corner with 92 mph heat, slow for him. What gives? 0-1 count. Farns misses low and away with the heat, 1-1. Farns misses in, 2-1. CMON GODDAMNIT! Fastball chopped to Cano slowly, only play is to 1st. 1 down, Punto to 2nd.

Punto on 2nd, 1 away, Cuddyer to the dish. Cuddyer is 1 for 3 with a double. 94 mph heat down the middle, 0-1. 95 mph 2 seamer (wow, btw) misses in. 1-1. 94mph 2 seamer misses down and in, 2-1. 97 mph 4 seamer fouled back. 2-2. 98 mph fastball fouled away. On a side note, Farns is trying a 2 seamer right now, and it is sitting at 92-95. 92 mph 2 seamer fouled away. 98 mph heater scalded to Minky who knocks it down with his chest and flips to Farns. Punto to 3rd.

Punto at 3rd, 2 down, Morneau to the dish. 94 mph 2 seamer misses away. 1-0. 95 mph fastball fisted out to Minky, takes it to the bag by himself and the yankees win.

YANKEES WIN 8-2

riverside sluggers
04-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Jacko were you really stressing about the bullpen in the 9th inning vs the Twins?

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 08:48 PM
2 hours and 37 minute game. WOW.

My thoughts...

Carl Pavano was very good, although he wasnt perfect. He did make some early mistakes that the twins did not take advantage of, but seemed to get stronger as the game went along. He pitched to contact, had good location, and had both the curve and splitty working well. And he had a David Wells type day. Had an early 3-0 and 5-0 lead, and went right after the hitters. Great game for our starter, it was needed.

Once again, the pen was filthy. Bruney must be sneaky as well as throw gas, cause they didnt have much of a chance even though he was throwing a little slower than he usually does (he was around 93-95 today). Farns is working on a 2 seamer and boy does it move. 92-95 with a nice bite, but he hasnt perfected it yet. Had to go to the 4 seamer when he got in trouble. Once again, 1 baserunner in 2 innings and no runs for the pen. I'll take it.

The top of the order was great. Damon leads off the game with a double, Bobby with 4RBI, Jeter with 3 hits and ARod with the kill shot over the baggy. Everything clicked today. The bottom of the order was poor, going 0 for 13, but Cano is a quality hitter who will be fine. The same may not be said for Minky and Melky has looked very poor thus far this season.

The defense was great on the carpet, Jeter, Cano and Minky making some really nice plays.

Overall, everything worked well and they come away with a win that was never really in doubt. Hopefully they can carry the pitching over into tomorrow with Pettitte taking the hill against Bonser.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Jacko were you really stressing about the bullpen in the 9th inning vs the Twins?

not stressing, I just hate it when a reliever has a big lead in a shit spot and cannot locate. It is a pet peeve of mine. I have funny pet peeves. Not advancing runners and not pitching to contact when you have a lead are 2 of them.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 08:50 PM
BTW, doing the gameday was fun. I started it and when the yankees jumped out to the big lead, the superstition in me couldnt get me to stop.

riverside sluggers
04-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Next test for Pavano, do it against a top 5 lineup

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 09:01 PM

Minny is an average MLB lineup (13th last season in runs scored in the MLB ). He pitched decent, even though he gave innings and the line was great, I'd go with a B+. He pitched the big boys very tough, but to the other guys he made a bunch of mistakes in the zone that would be crushed by better hitters. He tailored his game well to this team though.

yankees228
04-09-2007, 09:01 PM

Top to bottom, the Twins lineup isn't up there with the best of them, but it's not too bad either. The really a really good 3-5 and they have these pesky hitters who do a good job, especially in the Metrodome. It was a very nice performance, and Minnesota does not have a horrible offensive team.

riverside sluggers
04-09-2007, 09:08 PM
I did not say that Minnesota's lineup was horrible. But it doesnt rank up with Boston, Baltimore, Toronto, Cleveland, Chicago, Detrot, Anaheim in the AL. Not because he's a Yankee... but its hard for me to see him as a guy to trust with the ball every 5th day who hasnt pitched since June 05 from an array of injuries. Also including not even informing his team of a car accident he was in

VA Sox Fan
04-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Ponson blows. The longer hair makes him look less fat....ha ha ha ha...... Pavano had a good outing. The offense was there for the NYY (duh).....I fk'n hate it!!

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I did not say that Minnesota's lineup was horrible. But it doesnt rank up with Boston, Baltimore, Toronto, Cleveland, Chicago, Detrot, Anaheim in the AL. Not because he's a Yankee... but its hard for me to see him as a guy to trust with the ball every 5th day who hasnt pitched since June 05 from an array of injuries. Also including not even informing his team of a car accident he was in

Matsuzaka's start against the royals gets everyone up and excited, but Pavano against the twins is useless? Last I checked, the royals offense sucks worse.

schillingouttheks
04-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Matsuzaka's start against the royals gets everyone up and excited, but Pavano against the twins is useless? Last I checked, the royals offense sucks worse.

I was going to say the same thing. You can't praise Matsuzaka and say he'll be fine and then turn around and disregard Pavano's outing. Come on guys, you're better than that.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 11:31 PM
My favorite line of the night from rotoworld.

Bobby Abreu went 3-for-5 with a two-run homer and four RBI in the Yankees' victory on Monday night.

Abreu's first homer of the year came on a Sidney Ponson curveball, but it will probably count in the official stats anyway.

Gom
04-10-2007, 12:50 AM
I was going to say the same thing. You can't praise Matsuzaka and say he'll be fine and then turn around and disregard Pavano's outing. Come on guys, you're better than that.

No they're not. You're an exception.

If we can get another 7 innings tomorrow, the pen is back to where it needs to be.

Clemens must be thinking he can win 90% of his starts with this kind of pen. Hurry up and come to the Bronx, Roger!

riverside sluggers
04-10-2007, 04:23 AM

No doubt he just had a great outing, Im just taking it with a grain of salt... it is Carl Pavano after all, the same one who actually hurt his ass in spring training of 05 that I can recall :dunno:

EDIT: I just saw that Pavano needed just 79 pitches through 7, why was he pulled with such a low count for that time of the game?

jacksonianmarch
04-10-2007, 05:55 AM
No doubt he just had a great outing, Im just taking it with a grain of salt... it is Carl Pavano after all, the same one who actually hurt his ass in spring training of 05 that I can recall :dunno:

EDIT: I just saw that Pavano needed just 79 pitches through 7, why was he pulled with such a low count for that time of the game?

It is Carla Pavano, no doubt, but it was a very strong performance.

As for why he was pulled, could be the fact that he can get injured drinking a glass of water and they wanted to limit his water consumption? Actually, it was obvious he needed to come out. The velocity in the 7th was down to the high 80s and he got hit hard twice in that inning.

And if Pavano can keep this up to some degree, we will be in a quandry and a conundrum wrapped in an enigma. We may have every intention to trade Carla, but we may also lean on him. Do we deal him while the market is hot?

riverside sluggers
04-10-2007, 06:03 AM
I didnt realize, I was just watching a movie and just had yahoo box score to go on. Hmm the velocity was dropping to the high 80s after 79 pitches? For Yankees sake hope thats not a warning in any way whatsoever. Agreed if Pavano continues to deal, the Yankees will be stronger than I thought

jacksonianmarch
04-10-2007, 06:36 AM

If we can get another 7 innings tomorrow, the pen is back to where it needs to be.

Clemens must be thinking he can win 90% of his starts with this kind of pen. Hurry up and come to the Bronx, Roger!

It is one hell of a difference from watching Boston's pen, I'll tell you that much. Boston has one guy in that pen who can locate mid 90s power stuff, and he just so happens to be their closer. The yankees have Vizcaino, Proctor, Bruney, Henn, Farns and Rivera who can all get the heat into the mid 90s. When you have that kind of power out there and 2 guys with power stuff waiting in the wings, it can only help. I really do like our pen.

jacksonianmarch
04-10-2007, 06:37 AM
I didnt realize, I was just watching a movie and just had yahoo box score to go on. Hmm the velocity was dropping to the high 80s after 79 pitches? For Yankees sake hope thats not a warning in any way whatsoever. Agreed if Pavano continues to deal, the Yankees will be stronger than I thought

It was in the 7th inning, you have to remember and it isnt like he throws that much harder than high 80s anyway. His velocity was in the 90-92 range all night. Also, his stamina has been a factor early on as he lost it in the 5th last outing. He needs to build it up, but he'll get there, assuming his arm doesnt fall off.

TheKilo
04-10-2007, 07:16 AM
RS, it's probably time to let this one go.

Mr Crunchy
04-10-2007, 07:47 AM
pavano looked like he was about to get torched almost every inning
that being said
i played the yankees last nite,they were incredibly cheap considering who got the ball for the twins...
wasnt that reggie cleveland pitching ??
boomboom ponson should be parking cars at the holiday inn in aruba
he sucks
pavano got thru 7 and the hope on nys end is he can carry this into his next start
considering what we've seen from the yankee rotation so far he best carry this into october

Mr Crunchy
04-10-2007, 07:49 AM
jeters play to his left indicated that pavano hit 95 on the twins radar gun
i saw it this morning
i wasnt tripping either

jacksonianmarch
04-10-2007, 07:51 AM
pavano looked like he was about to get torched almost every inning
that being said
i played the yankees last nite,they were incredibly cheap considering who got the ball for the twins...
wasnt that reggie cleveland pitching ??
boomboom ponson should be parking cars at the holiday inn in aruba
he sucks
pavano got thru 7 and the hope on nys end is he can carry this into his next start
considering what we've seen from the yankee rotation so far he best carry this into october

he didnt look like he was about to get torched after about the 3rd inning. But early on, he left some pitches in areas that you typically dont get good results from. You can chalk it up to him knowing the opponent, but I am a bit more cautious. I thought he skated early, leaving pitches to guys like Redmond and Kubel down the middle and getting solid results. If that is in Toronto, he is getting another ball. I thought it was a gutsy, bally performance and his 0 walk total was a very nice thing to see. If he stays this accurate and leaves the occasional pitch over the plate to get either slapped out of the park or hit into the out, he will be a find at the back of our rotation. If he gets bat shy (or playing shy or teammate shy or healthy shy) he will revert to Carla again.

jacksonianmarch
04-10-2007, 07:53 AM
jeters play to his left indicated that pavano hit 95 on the twins radar gun
i saw it this morning
i wasnt tripping either

news to me. YES only had the gun readings up on Pavano from the 3rd inning on. Their guns had Pavano at 91 almost the entire night, with one in the 93 range and a few around 90. In the 7th, the YES gun had him at 88-89.

Mr Crunchy
04-10-2007, 08:22 AM
chalk it up to knowing the opponent??
he hadnt had a start against them in the al has he??
i dont know for sure,i do know he left some pitches where they usually get deposited into the baggies

youre right
0 bb's was the key to his success and almost every pitcher who goes thru 7 without a bb will be effective

jacksonianmarch
04-10-2007, 08:51 AM
chalk it up to knowing the opponent??
he hadnt had a start against them in the al has he??
i dont know for sure,i do know he left some pitches where they usually get deposited into the baggies

youre right
0 bb's was the key to his success and almost every pitcher who goes thru 7 without a bb will be effective

every pitcher makes mistakes. Pavano made sure they werent against the M and M boys or Cuddyer. He pitched those guys very well. As for knowing the opponent, I am just saying, that knowing the twins lineup is stacked 3-5 and weak everywhere else, he worked those guys hard and left some cookies to the other guys and got away unscathed.

Optimist
04-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Wow, wonderful game last night. Good pitching and great offense. Andy needs to keep the ball rolling today.

Last night was weird (not just because Pavano pitched well.) The game was both on YES and ESPN, that's the first time I recall that happening. I kept switching between the two...and then when 24 came on I was going through all 3. :lol:

yankees228
04-10-2007, 11:31 AM

I feel very good about the pen too, but lets not put them up their with the Yankee pens of the late 90's after six games.

yankees228
04-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Wow, wonderful game last night. Good pitching and great offense. Andy needs to keep the ball rolling today.

Last night was weird (not just because Pavano pitched well.) The game was both on YES and ESPN, that's the first time I recall that happening. I kept switching between the two...and then when 24 came on I was going through all 3. :lol:

Yeah, that was weird. ESPN must have made a mistake because I don't think they can televise games in one of the team's markets unless it's Sunday Night Baseball. I could be mistaken though, I just remember all other Yankee games on ESPN are blacked out here in NY. That really pissed me off too, because for the first have of the 2002 season, I didn't have the YES Network, but even when games were on ESPN they were blacked out.