PDA

View Full Version : State of the Yankees

jacksonianmarch
04-22-2007, 11:04 PM
My thoughts...

Most people know I was not expecting this game to be even close, but just like those yankees they get me to the brink and let me down.

Our rotation is in shambles and in order to make up for it, our pen is overworked. Actually, overworked is an understatement. They are on pace for over 600 bullpen innings, which has been done exactly once, by the 2002 Rangers who finished in last place. Joe has no faith in any starter (even Pettitte at times), so he is too quick with the hook and isnt ready to just throw a guy out there to burn. Today would have been good experience to give that kid a few more innings before shitcanning his ass back to Trenton. He's a bun in the oven that needs a little more time. Our manager on the other end, is overdone and gristley meat that needs to be tossed. There is no defense, win or lose, for using Scott Proctor in 71% of our games to this point. Absolutely none. In april, I'd rather he die by using a reliever who may not be ready than overwork a guy who will be a major cog in the wheel once we get rolling and healthy.

As for our offense, we hit the ball well sans the bottom of our order. Good news is, Posada is expected back tomorrow as is Matsui. For the first time since the 3rd game of the season, our opening day lineup should be playing. And, when we have Igawa and Wang throw the next 2 days, it will be the first time 2 pitchers in our projected rotation throw in consecutive days in over 10 days. We will still have a rotation with Karstens and Wright until the 28th when Wright will be optioned down and Mussina activated. By the first week of May, our top 4 in our rotation should be pitching.

Now the news on Pavano isnt good at all. He is described as "not even close". This is bad news for the most part as Pavano had rounded into a pitcher who could at the very least, eat a few innings. It looks like it will be Karstens job until we either get Clemens or give the kid the callup. But that brings up an interesting point. Hughes has had 2 very strong starts and one stinker in Scranton. He is due to have another start tomorrow and by the time we have our 1-4 ready, he may become the 5th man if Karstens misses his spots as badly as he did yesterday. The Hughes clock is certainly ticking. The problem will become, our pen is so overworked as it is, is it wise to restrict workload on a major league pitcher in his interests, yet to the detriment of the team?

Overall, our bullpen needs a break and it wont get one with Bucky Igawa throwing tomorrow. At best, Bucky gives us 6 in Tampa. At worst, he's serving some wonton soup at the nearest Ichiban by the 3rd and our pen continues its slow burn. Like I have said before, we are a team who has been way too injured, just no serious blows yet. If all rolls well, the only guy we will have on the 15 day Pavano is Pavano. And yes, you read that right. The 15 day Pavano. We have renamed it. The 4 game deficit at this point is nothing new. The only new thing is the faces of our starting rotation. So long as we dont get napalmed in our rotation again, we should be fine.

26 to 6
04-23-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm trying not to get so worked up this early in the season. At this point, we should consider significant injuries inevitable. They seem to occur early in each of the past 4 seasons. I'm confident that once we get everyone back, and everything in order that we'll be fine. All of your points are valid ones, but to this point, we've been beating the teams we need to beat and our offense has carried us well. Now obviously that's not gonna hold water all season, or when we play good teams, as we saw this weekend.

I'm comfortable for now with our rotation considering the injuries. Hopefully Wang will provide some much needed relief to the pen now that he's back and filling his spot in the rotation. I'm becoming more and more comfortable with Igawa everytime I see him pitch. I think he'll be a fine 5th starter (or 4th for that matter) this year as he gets everything under control and picks up the experience he needs to contribute to establishing a strong comfort level for Kei.

Now granted, right now our bullpen needs a break and a half, and probably probably won't get it due to the combination of Igawa's inexperience and Torre's reluctance to let the starter try and work out of a jam. But I think that over the next few week's as we start to get everybody back that we'll start to see things falling into place. I'm not gonna panic unless I see that this is occuring with a team at full health. But I dont think it will. With the exception of this weekend up in Beantown we've gotten off to a rather respectable start considering our circumstances, and I feel that everything will fall well into place.

...one thing that would help considerably though is Roger. Thankfully it's almost May and he is expected to make a decision within the next month or so. :)

schillingouttheks
04-23-2007, 11:38 AM
What would you do if he came to Boston? I know he's your favorite player ever.

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 11:42 AM
What would you do if he came to Boston? I know he's your favorite player ever.

if he went to Boston, I'd be shocked to be honest with you. When you have 4 horses like you currently do and have your prize prospect on the fast track to a mid-May return, I have a feeling you wont even make a terribly competitive offer.

But if he did go to Boston, I think that would clinch the ascencion of Phil Hughes. Clemens makes so much sense in NY on so many levels that I havent really given thought to not having him. Hell, I even made a post about him being in our rotation without thinking. It almost seems like a foregone conclusion at this juncture. Spot open, nobody coming up to take it, team in need of a savior, who better to ride in than Clemens. And for the yankees, Clemens would mean that Hughes gets to stay down until Sept. which is what Cashman wants so dearly. It works on so many levels.

26 to 6
04-23-2007, 11:48 AM
I'd probably start waving my white flag.

...or root for him on a start to start basis, as long as it's not against the Yankees. But in doing that, I have to hope that the rest of the rotation just implodes as it is struck with awe due to the mere presence of the Rocket. Then, we might be in pretty good shape until the stretch run.

adam123
04-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Jackson just wanted to say good first series. We all know its gonna be different this weekend .. but first round to us GO SOX

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 11:50 AM
If you guys get Clemens, then the edict from on high may be strong. Though I dont think George will ever get Cashman to deal away Hughes, I do think he will force Cash to deal other pitching prospects to overpay for somebody. Clemens validates the rotation and staves off a long term flop of a move mid season. I dont like the midseason options anyway.

26 to 6
04-23-2007, 11:52 AM
if he went to Boston, I'd be shocked to be honest with you. When you have 4 horses like you currently do and have your prize prospect on the fast track to a mid-May return, I have a feeling you wont even make a terribly competitive offer.

But if he did go to Boston, I think that would clinch the ascencion of Phil Hughes. Clemens makes so much sense in NY on so many levels that I havent really given thought to not having him. Hell, I even made a post about him being in our rotation without thinking. It almost seems like a foregone conclusion at this juncture. Spot open, nobody coming up to take it, team in need of a savior, who better to ride in than Clemens. And for the yankees, Clemens would mean that Hughes gets to stay down until Sept. which is what Cashman wants so dearly. It works on so many levels.
While it is a picture perfect scenario from our perspective, there still exists the possibility that he chooses to stay in Houston, or even return to Boston. I agree with you that, in my opinion, the best option for him would be to come to NY, to rejoin his buddy Andy and to make up the past 3 seasons he spent with Houston to the Yankee fans by riding off into the sunset in pinstripes like we thought he did in 2003. And in doing so, hopefully bringing that nice big trophy decorated with 30 waving flags back to the Bronx, and a third ring to his finger.

Time will soon tell though.

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 11:55 AM
While it is a picture perfect scenario from our perspective, there still exists the possibility that he chooses to stay in Houston, or even return to Boston. I agree with you that, in my opinion, the best option for him would be to come to NY, to rejoin his buddy Andy and to make up the past 3 seasons he spent with Houston to the Yankee fans by riding off into the sunset in pinstripes like we thought he did in 2003. And in doing so, hopefully bringing that nice big trophy decorated with 30 waving flags back to the Bronx, and a third ring to his finger.

Time will soon tell though.

I think that him not being a yankee is detrimental. This was something I did not feel about a month ago. I had originally thought that him going to Houston would be the best for all involved simply because we have all this young pitching that is ready and no spots. But with Cashman's unwillingness to tap into any of the guys who SHOULD be in our rotation right now, it is obvious that Cashman is willing to sacrifice this season for the long term health of these kids. It is a noble move, but it makes Clemens acquisition that much more important to the major league team.

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 11:56 AM
BTW, happy days....

Hideki Matsui (hamstring) batted nine times in a simulated game in Tampa, Fla., on Sunday, and he will rejoin the Yankees for their game with the Devil Rays on Monday. ... While Jorge Posada said he did not have much strength in his bruised left hand, he added that he hoped to be ready Monday. ...

Matsui and Posada should be in the lineup today. Thank fucking god.

26 to 6
04-23-2007, 12:04 PM
I think that him not being a yankee is detrimental. This was something I did not feel about a month ago. I had originally thought that him going to Houston would be the best for all involved simply because we have all this young pitching that is ready and no spots. But with Cashman's unwillingness to tap into any of the guys who SHOULD be in our rotation right now, it is obvious that Cashman is willing to sacrifice this season for the long term health of these kids. It is a noble move, but it makes Clemens acquisition that much more important to the major league team.
I absolutely agree.

Coco's Disciples
04-23-2007, 02:07 PM
We all know the Yankees will be in the hunt come September. There's no denying it. We've taken April division lead after April division lead, and we haven't won the division in over a decade. I like our team a lot this year, it's my favorite since 2004. But there's no way in hell we're running away with the East. Should be a fun year.

TheKilo
04-23-2007, 02:10 PM
We all know the Yankees will be in the hunt come September. There's no denying it. We've taken April division lead after April division lead, and we haven't won the division in over a decade. I like our team a lot this year, it's my favorite since 2004. But there's no way in hell we're running away with the East. Should be a fun year.

And therein lies the difference.

I have not heard one Red Sox fan say that the Red Sox will run away with the division.

I have heard Yankee fans say it.

a700hitter
04-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Do any Yankee fans still like Chase Wright's prospects? What about Karstens? I pray that our rotation stays healthy and we don't start parading our hot prospects to Fenway, because that almost always results in the team watching the playoffs from their couches. Let KC and the small markets develop the kids. When they become genuine big leaguers, the Red Sox will talk with their agents.

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 03:24 PM
I think Chase Wright has the stuff to be a back of the rotation starter. He just isnt even close to being ready yet. We have 5 or 6 guys who are more ready with a better arsenal than he is. But none of them are on the 40 man roster. Chase was.

Cityofchampions33
04-23-2007, 03:42 PM

Exactly what I was going to say. You guys whouldn't even judge your team right now, as you just ran into our 3 best starters, with 2 rooks goin for you. In all honesty we SHOULD have swept you, at elats taking 2/3 from you. If you had Wang and Moose instead of Karstens and Wright, it would have been a much more competitive series. However I do like our chances pending everything stays relatively the same as it has been: strong pen, decent offense, and great pitching.

BSN07
04-24-2007, 07:58 AM
If he is looking for a ring then Boston is his best chance right now. Yes you may have a better offense but your team has prooven that just Offense can't win it all by itself. Boston has the better pitching by far, and are way better set up for a 5 and 7 game series at this point...