PDA

View Full Version : The ascencion of Phil Hughes has BEGUN!!!

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Phil Hughes will start on Thursday vs the Blue Jays and will start Karstens on Friday vs the Red Sox. I am happy about this.

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 05:11 PM
I am real excited about this kid.

redsoxrules
04-23-2007, 05:14 PM
so are you happy about this ?

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 05:15 PM
very, very much so. It is about time. I dont expect this kid to dominate like he has in the minors, but he should at least be good for 6IP a night and a mid 4's ERA.

And what I love about this is that Cashman has been quoted as saying, once Hughes comes up, he isnt going back down.

riverside sluggers
04-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Phil Hughes will start on Thursday vs the Blue Jays and will start Karstens on Friday vs the Red Sox. I am happy about this.

Im happy to, the Sox get to beat around Karstens again and give Dice another W

AlexanderTheGreat13
04-23-2007, 05:23 PM
YES!!!!!!! I got tickets to this game.

Optimist
04-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Seriously?!?

Wow, I can not wait to see him pitch. He'll be facing a good offense, so I won't be expecting too much though.

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Seriously?!?

Wow, I can not wait to see him pitch. He'll be facing a good offense, so I won't be expecting too much though.

no Glaus and no Johnson. I expect the kid to have a good debut.

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Im happy to, the Sox get to beat around Karstens again and give Dice another W

I'd rather you beat on Karstens and then see him get replaced than beat up on the Golden child.

Coco's Disciples
04-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Wow. Believe it or not, I am really excited to see this kid. He's arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball (Matsuzaka is not a prospect), along with Homer Bailey. He's a real likeable kid. I think this may have been originally posted on this board, but he chatted with baseball fans in some forum for hours, fielding questions. He should be a very good pitcher in the future. Good luck to him, just not against us.

EDIT: So the tentative starters for the weekend series are:

Matsuzaka vs. Karstens
Wakefield vs. Igawa
Tavarez vs. Wang

Correct?

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 06:28 PM
CORRECT my friend.

Cityofchampions33
04-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Likewise I am also excited. Always interesting to see the next posible superstar pitcher. Will it be nationally televised?

jacksonianmarch
04-23-2007, 06:37 PM
he is a good guy. He has a website that he takes posts and answers them. He has been nothing but respectful in my time on there and answered a few posts. Unassuming, humble kid who takes nothing for granted. He will be VERY tough to hate. Just like Lester.

a700hitter
04-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I too am excited, because a parade of minor leaguers through the rotation should result in a sub-par season.

Seldini
04-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Everyone pick this guy up in your fantasy leagues. Do it.

Manny Goes Boom
04-24-2007, 12:45 AM
no Glaus and no Johnson. I expect the kid to have a good debut.

I know. Fucking asshole Glaus...why the hell do you have to be hurt? :angry: :lol:

EDIT: That probably means Hughes will probably do good in his debut.

Gom
04-24-2007, 01:39 AM
YES!!!!!!! I got tickets to this game.

Do you want extras? I don't think I'm going.

He's going to suck.

Ok, I know I'm being pessimistic, but I don't see this guy being a star. I see a Beckett clone.

example1
04-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Wow. Believe it or not, I am really excited to see this kid. He's arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball (Matsuzaka is not a prospect), along with Homer Bailey. He's a real likeable kid. I think this may have been originally posted on this board, but he chatted with baseball fans in some forum for hours, fielding questions. He should be a very good pitcher in the future. Good luck to him, just not against us.

EDIT: So the tentative starters for the weekend series are:

Matsuzaka vs. Karstens
Wakefield vs. Igawa
Tavarez vs. Wang

Correct?

Any chance Tavarez becomes Lester if Lester pitches well at AAA and Tavarez doesn't tomorrow? I don't want to rush Lester, but he could be better than Tavarez and the sox have already rushed him a little bit, given that they're saying he's only 2 starts away. I thought for awhile there we were talking a few months.

example1
04-24-2007, 02:37 AM

He's going to suck.

Ok, I know I'm being pessimistic, but I don't see this guy being a star. I see a Beckett clone.

Woah! did I read that right? A CURRENT Yankee fan saying Hughes will ONLY be a Beckett clone? A pitcher who carried his team through the playoffs to the WS, winning WS MVP? A guy who can hit 96 without thinking about it, who is young and only getting better?

I think Hughes can be all these things and more, and I think that Beckett would look pretty darn good in pinstripes given the trash you're throwing out there now.

BSN07
04-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Jacko weren't you preaching all winter that it was better for Hughes to stay in the minors all year and polish his Change up? I'm interested in seeing how he will do as well, just think if he fails he might be the biggest let down in Yankees history after all the press this kid has had. I don't think he will flat out suck, I means he can't be any worse then the garbage that has been taking the mound for you guys lately...

TheKilo
04-24-2007, 07:14 AM

He's going to suck.

Weak trolling effort, even for you.

Isn't ascension spelled wrong?

jacksonianmarch
04-24-2007, 07:58 AM

yes it is. I typically dont make a ton of spelling mistakes, mostly typos. Wow, you are right, my bad bro. CAN A MOD CHANGE IT TO ASCENSION PLEASE!!!

jacksonianmarch
04-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Jacko weren't you preaching all winter that it was better for Hughes to stay in the minors all year and polish his Change up? I'm interested in seeing how he will do as well, just think if he fails he might be the biggest let down in Yankees history after all the press this kid has had. I don't think he will flat out suck, I means he can't be any worse then the garbage that has been taking the mound for you guys lately...

For his development, yes the changeup to this point is more of a showme pitch. So to this point, it is an average pitch. They were hoping to make it a plus pitch, but alas, he may have to do that on the fly, not likely, or live with it as it is. But the yankees brass got together with the player dev't team and asked them for their recommendation on anyone who was ready to give a few starts or worst case, give a long term replacement for Pavano. And rather than mess with someone who has to work on everything, they all agreed that this kid is the most ready for the job.

EDIT: If he was in the sox system, with the pitching staff healthy and effective, he doesnt see the MLB at all.

Gom
04-24-2007, 08:40 AM

I've never been a Hughes fan, go back and check my posts, I haven't flip-flopped. I just don't like him. You call that trolling? Sorry, I forgot, if you're not part of the mainstream, you are trolling. Clueless...hey wait, you're related to Joe Torre, aren't you?

As a Beckett clone, I mean a 5.00 ERA like last year.

Sorry, not sold on the guy. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen WAY too many can't miss who missed.

Beckett has been a star, just not when wearing a Red Sox uniform. I'm talking about his Red Sox career, not Marlin career.

TheKilo
04-24-2007, 08:55 AM
I've never been a Hughes fan, go back and check my posts, I haven't flip-flopped. I just don't like him. You call that trolling? Sorry, I forgot, if you're not part of the mainstream, you are trolling. Clueless...hey wait, you're related to Joe Torre, aren't you?

As a Beckett clone, I mean a 5.00 ERA like last year.

Sorry, not sold on the guy. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen WAY too many can't miss who missed.

Beckett has been a star, just not when wearing a Red Sox uniform. I'm talking about his Red Sox career, not Marlin career.

The last part clears it up. Yes, Beckett had an off year last year but he's going to be a stud for the Sox this year.

You'd kill to have Beckett on your team.

riverside sluggers
04-24-2007, 04:39 PM

Sorry that it just bursts your bubble but Beckett is not going to be the same pitcher he was last year

26 Reasons to Hate Us
04-24-2007, 07:09 PM
You'd kill to have Beckett on your team.

If we hit him all year like we did last weekend, I'd be content with him staying with the sox.

riverside sluggers
04-24-2007, 07:21 PM
4 ER in 7 innings vs the Yankees lineup in 7 innings while striking out 7, what a has been! He's also 4-0 this year with an ERA of 2.55 and striking out 25 batters in 24.2 innings. He's just a better looking Julian Tavarez!

yankees228
04-24-2007, 07:28 PM
I, for one, think this is a mistake and a desperation move. That being said, I'm excited to see him pitch.

26 Reasons to Hate Us
04-24-2007, 08:48 PM
4 ER in 7 innings vs the Yankees lineup in 7 innings while striking out 7, what a has been! He's also 4-0 this year with an ERA of 2.55 and striking out 25 batters in 24.2 innings. He's just a better looking Julian Tavarez!

6.2 IP 4ER 5.40ERA

I'll take that from a red sox starter any day.

riverside sluggers
04-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Haha youre trying to make your case that Beckett sucks, by taking an ERA from just that game? Haha. Of course its going to be larger in appearance if its comig from 1 game. So a reliever sucks against the Yankees because he gives up 1 run in 1 inning, thats a 9.00 ERA

Yes you'll take those 4 ER in 6.2 any day from a Red Sox starter... while your inept pitching staff gets batted around. Wait dont tell me youd rather have Kei Igawa than Josh Beckett

TheKilo
04-24-2007, 10:22 PM
6.2 IP 4ER 5.40ERA

Yankee fans on this board love small sample sizes.

jacksonianmarch
04-25-2007, 09:33 AM
6.2 IP 4ER 5.40ERA

Fuck it, I'll take that from a yankee starter any day. If we got that from our last 2 starters, we take the series.

ORS
04-25-2007, 09:40 AM
I don't care what the gross numbers are from one game. I'll take the way he pitched every time out. Beckett was in control of that game from the get go, but the ball had eyes in the 1st. That leads to more pitches, which contributes to him tiring in the 7th and losing a little command.

I'm sure Yankee fans were encouraged by Wang's outing last night. His 6.1 IP, 4 ER line doesn't look so different from Beckett's on paper.

jacksonianmarch
04-25-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't care what the gross numbers are from one game. I'll take the way he pitched every time out. Beckett was in control of that game from the get go, but the ball had eyes in the 1st. That leads to more pitches, which contributes to him tiring in the 7th and losing a little command.

I'm sure Yankee fans were encouraged by Wang's outing last night. His 6.1 IP, 4 ER line doesn't look so different from Beckett's on paper.

It is similar, but not the same. Beckett was reached early then righted himself and feasted on the garbage lineup we threw at you. Wang was damn good early and tired out in the 7th. Either way, if our rotation gave 6IP and 4ER every single game this yr, we are in 1st. I'll take it every time out until the dog days come around when the bats slow a little and the arms start to take over.

Gom
04-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Lets not forget that both inherited runners he left to the bullpen scored. If the bullpen did it's job, cut the runs given up by half. Also, the runs scored off of him were off of infield singles.

Sometimes, you look better than your line. That was also the case with Beckett. We got the runs early, and then he settled in.

jacksonianmarch
04-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Lets not forget that both inherited runners he left to the bullpen scored. If the bullpen did it's job, cut the runs given up by half. Also, the runs scored off of him were off of infield singles.

Sometimes, you look better than your line. That was also the case with Beckett. We got the runs early, and then he settled in.

And the beauty of CMW isnt that he is a shutdown kind of guy. Beckett is. When Beckett is on, he will give you 8 shutout innings. But he also has his stinkers of days where he laves after 5 with 3 or 4 homers in the seats. Wang is a very consistent pitcher who on his best days shows it by his longevity (8IP or so). But his contact capabilities usually always leave him with a run or two on his record. For the most part, even when he is off, he gives innings and keeps the runs low. 6.1IP 4ER is still an average line.

ORS
04-25-2007, 09:48 AM
It is similar, but not the same. Beckett was reached early then righted himself and feasted on the garbage lineup we threw at you. Wang was damn good early and tired out in the 7th. Either way, if our rotation gave 6IP and 4ER every single game this yr, we are in 1st. I'll take it every time out until the dog days come around when the bats slow a little and the arms start to take over.
Beckett wasn't reached. He's a cheap Giambi bloop away from getting out of the 1st clean. The run in the 2nd was legit and due to one of the few hard hit balls he surrendered all game. The run in the 7th was from tiring, which is related to the extension of the 1st. He was in control of that game, which why he didn't need to "right himself". He just keep pitching the way he did in the 1st and the bad luck stopped.

jacksonianmarch
04-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Beckett wasn't reached. He's a cheap Giambi bloop away from getting out of the 1st clean. The run in the 2nd was legit and due to one of the few hard hit balls he surrendered all game. The run in the 7th was from tiring, which is related to the extension of the 1st. He was in control of that game, which why he didn't need to "right himself". He just keep pitching the way he did in the 1st and the bad luck stopped.

I can see your point.

Gom
04-25-2007, 09:55 AM

Ok...and Wang gave up two runs on infield singles...luck is a part of the game. In both cases, the hit that drove them in was not a well-hit ball, but the runners on base hit the ball solidly. Go back to sleep.

BSN07
04-25-2007, 10:14 AM
If your Starting rotation only give you 6 innings every single night your BP will be burned out by August. Every now and then they need a night off, so you need a starter to get 8+ innings occasionally...

jacksonianmarch
04-25-2007, 10:19 AM
If your Starting rotation only give you 6 innings every single night your BP will be burned out by August. Every now and then they need a night off, so you need a starter to get 8+ innings occasionally...

not true. I'll take 6IP every night until the end of time. Like I have said before, we have a bullpen that is solid and can handle 3 innings per night. Our problem comes in when we need to give 6 innings per night. That is where the pen burns out. Last yr, we had 3 pitchers average 6IP per start and the rest averaged under 5 and we were fine. Our major issue has been the average starters IP of 4.7 prior to last nights game. That is not sustainable.

TheKilo
04-25-2007, 10:25 AM

If that's the case, wouldn't the Red Sox, who have the better rotation, be in just as good shape, if not better than the Yankees?

not true. I'll take 6IP every night until the end of time. Like I have said before, we have a bullpen that is solid and can handle 3 innings per night. Our problem comes in when we need to give 6 innings per night. That is where the pen burns out. Last yr, we had 3 pitchers average 6IP per start and the rest averaged under 5 and we were fine. Our major issue has been the average starters IP of 4.7 prior to last nights game. That is not sustainable.

Kinda like Friday night?

jacksonianmarch
04-25-2007, 10:27 AM
That is a case of being overworked. Our pen will eventually round into form once Torre takes the burden off of them for a bit. By the middle of the yr, the rotation will be giving 6 a night and the pen will be in lockdown mode. It will happen, it happens every yr.

ORS
04-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Ok...and Wang gave up two runs on infield singles...luck is a part of the game. In both cases, the hit that drove them in was not a well-hit ball, but the runners on base hit the ball solidly. Go back to sleep.
Luck is part of it, but there are trends to batted ball types and quality of contact. Despite bad luck, Beckett, and Wang last night, controlled the game by forcing a bunch of weak contact. On average that bloop and those IF singles don't make it over 50% of the time. That is why I'll take the way Beckett pitched despite the results. Last year, his 4 in 6.2 line would have featured more hard hit balls and a gopher ball or two.

Go back to sleep? No son, you need to wake up and catch up.

jacksonianmarch
04-25-2007, 12:12 PM
It should be interesting to see how Hughes does. You do know that this will be the last predicted time that we will have both of these guys in the rotation. As it stands, Karstens is said to have an edge over Hughes in holding down a permanent spot in the rotation, but this week can do a lot to change that. Also, with Rasner pitching rather well for us in his first 3 starts, it isnt out of the question that he comes back up once Mussina returns. As it stands, Mussina will miss one more turn in the rotation and his return after Monday's offday makes only one open spot in the rotation, Pavano's. We are finally getting healthy again.