PDA

View Full Version : Clemens to return in 1 week

jacksonianmarch
05-21-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05212007/sports/yankees/rocket_close_to_making_his_major_reentry_yankees_g eorge_king_______and_mark_hale.htm

He will start next monday vs the Blue Jays.

adam123
05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Not gonna help you he only pitches once a week . Have fun roger not making the playoffs . You could have gone out a champ with us buut now your gonna be a chump with the yankers .

Coco's Disciples
05-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Adam, you're so larious!

adam123
05-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Adam, you're so larious!

thanks man .... loving this season . We could not ask for more :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mtbykr
05-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Wow, rushing him back a month early and now up in the bigs earlier than expected...things are not good at the toilet. Even if he pitches well i wonder how he will bein doing late september...mabey more worn out than normal

jacksonianmarch
05-21-2007, 02:56 PM
thanks man .... loving this season . We could not ask for more :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I said before that you guys will have the east if you finish May with a 10+ game lead in the loss column. Let me amend that and say that if after June 3rd, you have a 10+ game lead in the loss column, then the east is yours (we finish a 3 game set in Boston on the 3rd). You are at 10 right now after playing the best baseball the sox have seen to start a season in a long while, if ever. And after the yankees have been beset by serious injuries and some very uncharacteristic offensive slumping. On June 4th, I will either concede the division or watch as we claw our way back in this thing. Until then, with 6 games against each other in front of us and a brutal stretch for the sox coming up from mid July to the beginning of Sept, I wont start giving you guys the crown yet. If you take 5 of the next 6 and widen that lead to 12 or 13 games by June 4th, then I will

castigs850
05-21-2007, 02:57 PM
i think its safe to predict that coming back too quick will cause him to pull a hammy within his first three starts

TedWilliams101
05-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Clemens is going to turn out to be the biggest waste of $28 million. He will be nothing more than an average pitcher in the AL, but at 44, he probably wont be able to go past the 5th or 6th very often. Last year, Clemens averaged just under 6 innings a game. Add a year to his age and put him in the AL, with a DH in the place of a pitcher, and stronger lineups who will work the count better, and I can't image Clemens averaging more than 5 innings a game. Lets face it Clemens isn't the same pitcher he was 10 years ago and his numbers in the NL the last 2 years has been a bit misleading. From 1999 - 2003 (5 years) Clemens averaged a 4.0 ERA. He then went to the NL for 3 years and averaged a 2.4ERA. There is no way he pitched that much better than he did when he was with the Yankees and was 5 years younger. Expecting him to post an ERA under 4.0 is wishful thinking, not realistic. He isn't goint to put up great numbers this season. So how will that help the Yankees?

jacksonianmarch
05-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Wow, rushing him back a month early and now up in the bigs earlier than expected...things are not good at the toilet. Even if he pitches well i wonder how he will bein doing late september...mabey more worn out than normal

His body betrayed him in October when he played the whole season. He is still missing what amounts to 2 months as well as a full spring training. He should be ready right now, and he is needed right now. Our pitching options have dwindled significantly, and we have bent as far as we can without breaking. Clemens will help the stabilization of the team.

jacksonianmarch
05-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Clemens is going to turn out to be the biggest waste of $28 million. He will be nothing more than an average pitcher in the AL, but at 44, he probably wont be able to go past the 5th or 6th very often. Last year, Clemens averaged just under 6 innings a game. Add a year to his age and put him in the AL, with a DH in the place of a pitcher, and stronger lineups who will work the count better, and I can't image Clemens averaging more than 5 innings a game. Lets face it Clemens isn't the same pitcher he was 10 years ago and his numbers in the NL the last 2 years has been a bit misleading. He isn't goint to put up great numbers this season. So how will that help the Yankees?

He isnt a 7 inning horse like he used to be and he isnt an ace any more either. But to say he will be a 5 inning pitcher is very simple minded to say the least. What one also must remember is that Clemens had very little run support and in the NL, the pitcher hits. Since Clemens kept the Stros in nearly every game, the Stros had to pinch hit for him and hence end his night. Now that that is gone, he should be expected to go a little further. But at the same time, he is moving to the AL where the hitting is tougher. So, I expect him to average right around 6 innings once again.

As far as his numbers being misleading, cmon man, have a better argument than that. That is nothing more than you being an idiot. He had a WHIP of 1.04, an ERA of 2.30, a K/9IP of 8.12 and a K/BB of 3.5.

That would have placed him at 1st in NL ERA by 0.6 runs per 9, 1st in WHIP by 0.04, 10th in K/9IP and right near Pedro in K/BB. So to say his numbers are misleading is stupid. His numbers are fantastic. If you want to say that he wont repeat those in the AL or that he is too old and might see a steep decline in stuff, then so be it. But dont say the numbers are misleading. You could say that he is injury prone and will hurt himself. But right now he is healthy and if you use that logic, you can harken back to the fact that Clemens had a pulled groin for half the season yet pitched through it.

Either way you put it, Clemens is still a very good pitcher. He may have limited durability. He may have been way too expensive. But to think that his presence in our rotation doesnt do anything for us is stupid. One thing it does do, as Dennis and Callahan so idiotically forgot, is that it makes us formidable 1-5 once Hughes comes back. That means, we can tear off a long stretch of wins once we get straightened out. Something that was not as feasible when guys like Karstens, Igawa, and Rasner were taking the bump. And long stretches is what we will need to get out of this hole.

If you wish to write us off, then fine, I can understand that. They are nearing the point where I will write em off too. But for now, they have 6 against you guys in a 2 week span and are suddenly getting Roger and Hughes back and have shown signs the last 2 nights of coming out of this funk offensively. I'd wait to see where we are on June 4th before you start dancing in the streets.

HeadOfSoxNation
05-21-2007, 03:27 PM
He isnt a 7 inning horse like he used to be and he isnt an ace any more either. But to say he will be a 5 inning pitcher is very simple minded to say the least. What one also must remember is that Clemens had very little run support and in the NL, the pitcher hits. Since Clemens kept the Stros in nearly every game, the Stros had to pinch hit for him and hence end his night. Now that that is gone, he should be expected to go a little further. But at the same time, he is moving to the AL where the hitting is tougher. So, I expect him to average right around 6 innings once again.

Clemens will be better than average...I don't want to hear any of this "average" stuff coming from Sox fans. Is he going to win a Cy Young? I strongly doubt it...but he's still a guy capable of giving you a QS 9 times out of 10. It's hard to predict wins for Clemens because you don't know when the Yankee offense is going to break out of their unprecedented (for them, anyways) slump...but I look for Clemens to have an ERA riiiiiiiiight around 4 give or take, a WHIP of about 1.3, and 8K/9. I think those are pretty fair expectations, and hardly average especially considering the division.

TedWilliams101
05-21-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm not denying that he put up great numbers the last few years, but I'm saying that they are misleading because of the league he is pitching in. Some people believe Clemens will put up great numbers like that in the AL. THAT is just plain stupid thought. There is far more reason to believe that Clemens wont do any better for the Yankees than he did in the 5 year stretch from 99-03, but then add 4 years to his age since 03 and duribility concerns, and you have trouble.

I also disagree to an extent with you saying that his innings per game in Hou was misleading. Yes, there were situations where he was taken out for a PH, but last season he threw 1827 pitches through 113 innings. That equates to just over 16 pitches an inning. That means he is reaching 100 pitches on average after the 6th inning. Now, add another year to his age, throw him in the AL with a DH and tougher lineups, and tell me how he is going to be doing better than that? It is very reasonable to believe he is only going to be able to pitch an average of about 5 innings a game.

I agree that he will at least bring some stability to your rotation. But honestly, I think a rookie in the rotation would have a better overall value. He would probably give you similar performance, but probably give you more innings, a full season, and it wouldn't cost the team a penny. I don't think Clemens is worth it at $28 million and I don't think he would make signicantly more of a difference than say a rookie from the farm system.

TedWilliams101
05-21-2007, 03:30 PM
But you have to remember, if he only averages around 5 innings a game, that puts alot of work on an already overworked pen. Thats part of the problem. Yes he will still give the Yankees a chance to win games, but if he is only going 5 innings a game, thats not going to help the pen. I'm certainly not writing off the Yankees, I just don't think Clemens will significantly help your team like a lot of people think.

Ray10
05-21-2007, 04:01 PM
I hope the Jays rock this clown. But he's not gonna do much in the league anyways. Guys is old and it's as simple as that. ERA will be above 4 all year.

jacksonianmarch
05-21-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm not denying that he put up great numbers the last few years, but I'm saying that they are misleading because of the league he is pitching in.

time to tear you apart. Okay, like I said before, he pitched in the NL. We already agree that that league is an easier league on pitchers. But a case could be made that Clemens, over the 119IP that he had last season, was the best pitcher in the NL. Are you saying that the best pitcher in the NL, the pitcher whose stats were better than the Oswalts, Peavys, and Zambranos of the world, would be well below average in the AL? That is dumb in and of itself.

Some people believe Clemens will put up great numbers like that in the AL.

who? Not one person on this site thinks that Clemens will have a sub 3 ERA in the AL. NOBODY.

THAT is just plain stupid thought. There is far more reason to believe that Clemens wont do any better for the Yankees than he did in the 5 year stretch from 99-03, but then add 4 years to his age since 03 and duribility concerns, and you have trouble.

Depends on which seasons you want to dissect. If you wish to look at his first season in the Bronx as more of a fluke (a 4.3 BB/9IP was WAY over his career average) then you can say that his 5 yr stretch in NY was nothing short of stellar. And, for argument's sake, you could say that Roger is pitching better than ever, mostly because he is much more accurate. His last 2 yrs in Houston, he was well below his career BB/9IP average and it showed in his ERA and his WHIP. And for adjustment's sake, if you wish to see what equivalent WHIPs in the two different leagues comes out to, you can look at his last season in pinstripes and his first season in Houston. The same WHIP, but a run less per 9IP. But the last 2 seasons, the WHIP has been 0.16 and 0.12 below his career WHIP. In any league, that is pretty damn good. Either way, he has actually gotten BETTER even though his age has increased, in the NL. His injury history is worth noting, but at the same time, the guy has made 30+ starts every single season he had played since 1995 aside from last yr simply because he was playing a shortened season. And even in his short season, he still missed only one start and pitched to a 6IP average. He will have his aches and pains, but his injury history has been vastly overblown.

I also disagree to an extent with you saying that his innings per game in Hou was misleading. Yes, there were situations where he was taken out for a PH, but last season he threw 1827 pitches through 113 innings. That equates to just over 16 pitches an inning. That means he is reaching 100 pitches on average after the 6th inning.

And your point being? Joe Torre is a pretty stupid manager. He lets his pitchers throw until 100 pitches and takes them out, but he usually waits until the end of innings or if a runner reaches. Clemens averaged 16 pitches per inning. That means he doesnt hit 100 until he is in his 7th inning, and you can be sure Torre wont pull Roger at 97 pitches to start the 7th if he is going good. And, if Clemens averaged getting to 97 pitches after 6 innings, then he will be on average a 6 inning pitcher. That wont change too much in the AL.

Now, add another year to his age, throw him in the AL with a DH and tougher lineups, and tell me how he is going to be doing better than that?

He may throw a few more pitches, but it isnt like he will lose it all at once. Last yr he was dominant against major league players. He wont come over and suck. No matter how you try to twist it, our point wont be met. Any way you turn it, he was one of the best pitchers in the majors last yr. Deal with it.

It is very reasonable to believe he is only going to be able to pitch an average of about 5 innings a game.

no it isnt. You have no precedent. NONE. Stop being assinine.

I agree that he will at least bring some stability to your rotation. But honestly, I think a rookie in the rotation would have a better overall value.

I think the A's care more about saving a few bucks than we do. It is all about performance and if he can have 6 innings per start and keep his era around or below 4, he will be worth every penny to yankee fans. Who gives a shit about value.

He would probably give you similar performance, but probably give you more innings, a full season, and it wouldn't cost the team a penny.

another moronic quote. So having an icon like Clemens on your team when he is still effective does nothing for your team? Do you know anything about the psychology of baseball? Clemens gives your team the feeling that they can win every time out. No rookie does that because even the best rookies hit a wall here and there. Clemens also brings a swagger back, something we lost when we disassembled the rotation after the 03 debachle. Clemens is the pitcher who will command the inside part of the plate and protect his hitters. He's the kind of guy to brush back Papi and throw one high and tight to Manny. Nobody, aside from a dirtdog like Trot Nixon, got comfortable against Roger. This is something he brings and his lessons to guys like Hughes and Clippard could come very much in handy.

I don't think Clemens is worth it at $28 million and I don't think he would make signicantly more of a difference than say a rookie from the farm system.

Depends on the rookie in terms of overall performance. I would say Hughes and Clemens may win the same amount of games this season. But aside from the best pitching prospect in baseball, there is no other rookie I'd say could put up Clemens' numbers. And like I said, no rookie brings the kind of swagger that Clemens does, and he wont engender the same kind of fight that Clem would. This guy has been doing this a long time. Dont think that experience and raw talent as well as knowledge wont help this team and this pitching staff.

jacksonianmarch
05-21-2007, 04:55 PM
I hope the Jays rock this clown. But he's not gonna do much in the league anyways. Guys is old and it's as simple as that. ERA will be above 4 all year.

wonderful argument. Old guys cannot be dominant. Tell that to Schilling and Maddux.

HeadOfSoxNation
05-21-2007, 06:59 PM
wonderful argument. Old guys cannot be dominant. Tell that to Schilling and Maddux.

:D

yeszir
05-21-2007, 07:05 PM

And Franco. ;)

Ray10
05-22-2007, 12:15 AM

Yeah but Schilling and Maddux aren't the ones who will have their nuts in their throat. Can't wait until he gets lit up like a Christmas tree and all you Yankees fans will be hating on him saying the Yanks wasted their money.

jacksonianmarch
05-22-2007, 06:37 AM
Yeah but Schilling and Maddux aren't the ones who will have their nuts in their throat. Can't wait until he gets lit up like a Christmas tree and all you Yankees fans will be hating on him saying the Yanks wasted their money.

bring an argument Ray. I have done the work for you. This is nothing more than antagonistic BS.

Here are a few things you can say that I wont debate you on.

1. Roger is older, so his durability could be a concern.
2. He is transitioning from the NL to the AL
3. He is rushing his rehab
4. He may lose some ticks off the heat.

I wont debate you on that. Hence why I dont think he posts an ERA any lower than 3.5 after being in the 1's and low 2's the last 2 seasons. Hell, he may post one near or even above 4. But to say that he will have little effect on the team is a very poor argument. If Beckett were down for the season (theoretical, not actual) and you had to parade Tavarez and Gabbard out there every 5th day, you'd love to have a guy like Clemens. Now we are parading out DeSalvo and Clippard, DeSalvo being a guy who at best is a back of the rotation guy and Clippard is a mid rotation guy in waiting, but I think he isnt ready for the long haul yet. Neither are as good an option as Clemens or Hughes for that matter.

If we had a rotation with TClip and Hughes in it right now and both were lights out from the getgo, then I'd agree with you. But with our penchant for our pitchers dropping like flies, we need stability. And as much as you hate to admit it, Rocket brings that.

MANNYHOF24
05-22-2007, 06:42 AM
bring an argument Ray. I have done the work for you. This is nothing more than antagonistic BS.

Here are a few things you can say that I wont debate you on.

1. Roger is older, so his durability could be a concern.
2. He is transitioning from the NL to the AL
3. He is rushing his rehab
4. He may lose some ticks off the heat.

I wont debate you on that. Hence why I dont think he posts an ERA any lower than 3.5 after being in the 1's and low 2's the last 2 seasons. Hell, he may post one near or even above 4. But to say that he will have little effect on the team is a very poor argument. If Beckett were down for the season (theoretical, not actual) and you had to parade Tavarez and Gabbard out there every 5th day, you'd love to have a guy like Clemens. Now we are parading out DeSalvo and Clippard, DeSalvo being a guy who at best is a back of the rotation guy and Clippard is a mid rotation guy in waiting, but I think he isnt ready for the long haul yet. Neither are as good an option as Clemens or Hughes for that matter.

If we had a rotation with TClip and Hughes in it right now and both were lights out from the getgo, then I'd agree with you. But with our penchant for our pitchers dropping like flies, we need stability. And as much as you hate to admit it, Rocket brings that.

His ERA's for the last three years are completely irelevant, he has not posted an ERA bellow 3.51 in the AL since 1998. He was a 6 inning pitcher in the NL last year. How does that translate? I think to say that Clemens is worth what they are paying him especially if the Yankees fall further out is an absolute joke.

jacksonianmarch
05-22-2007, 06:47 AM
His ERA's for the last three years are completely irelevant, he has not posted an ERA bellow 3.51 in the AL since 1998. He was a 6 inning pitcher in the NL last year. How does that translate? I think to say that Clemens is worth what they are paying him especially if the Yankees fall further out is an absolute joke.

the point is not "is he worth what the yankees are paying him". The answer is absolutely NO. The only pitcher in the game worth 28 mil is Santana and even that is debatable. The question is whether he helps stabilize this rotation.

As far as his 3.51ERA in 98, Clemens is a little bit of a different pitcher nowadays. His control has been much better and he has mastered the splitter. He has become a finesse pitcher in his old age, but his power hasnt left him. He still hits 93-94 regularly. And, the hitters havent seen him in a little while. So I think he has the edge there. I think he will be very good for us. But to expect him to do what he has done the past 3 seasons is ridiculous.

TedWilliams101
05-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Last night didn't look too good for Clemens. He only went 5 1/3 innings, throwing 102 pitches, giving up 3 ER on 6 hits, and 4 walks. Against a terrible offensive AA seadogs team.

Guys, he's a 5 inning pitcher at best in the AL. He's just too old, and rushing him back is not helping either. He looked pretty bad his last outing, he was wild and was hanging pitches left and right.

arbitrary
05-24-2007, 08:12 PM
The Onion on Clemens return:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/experts_predict_man_who

RedSoxRooter
05-25-2007, 06:47 PM
SI is reporting he may not be ready for the Sox series next weekend. And theoretically, if he pitches on Saturday or Sunday in Boston, he'd be pushing Pettitte out of the series. I personally would love it if he did come back next weekend just so there would be no Pettitte.

redsoxrules
05-25-2007, 06:49 PM
SI is reporting he may not be ready for the Sox series next weekend. And theoretically, if he pitches on Saturday or Sunday in Boston, he'd be pushing Pettitte out of the series. I personally would love it if he did come back next weekend just so there would be no Pettitte.

this makes me laugh so much , not ready? how the fuck cant he be not ready ? il bet ya if he stinks his next start he's gonna push it back again

RedSoxRooter
05-25-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm just trying to get the rotation down.

21 Wang - W
22 Moose - L
23 Pettitte -W
24 off (skip#4)
25 Clippard - today
26 Wang
27 Moose
28 Pettitte (Clemens start)
29 4
30 Clippard
31 off

Sox series:
01 Wang
02 Could be Clemens or Moose
03 Could be Moose, could be Clemens (on an extra day's rest) or Pettitte

So the Yanks best shot at the series is going Wang/Moose/Pettitte.
If Clemens returns it would be Wang/Clemens/Moose. So folks, I do not think the Yanks are that dumb. We probably will not see Clemens next weekend at the Fens.

am I right???

TheKilo
05-25-2007, 07:40 PM
My dad said he heard on the radio that Torre said Clemens won't start against Boston.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/05/25/yankees.clemens.ap/index.html

jacksonianmarch
05-25-2007, 07:43 PM
they wont send Clemens to Boston in his first start back in NY. No way.

a700hitter
05-26-2007, 04:09 PM
What an overpaid pussy! Are they afraid of ruining the 23 year veteran's psyche? What a pussy. He should be demanding the ball.

ARod2212
05-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I'd want him to be sharp before he comes up here. He hasn't put it all together in the minors yet, I'd like to have a guaranteed good start.

I didn't have a chance to vent about this yesterday- why the hell did Torre take out Clippard? He wasn't great, but he hadn't thrown a lot of pitches and was throwing strikes. A 1-run game became a 7 run game in the blink of an eye. Gah.

Mr Crunchy
05-26-2007, 11:26 PM
clemens??
my feelings are documented and on my sleeve about him
that said i am a realist
he wouldve been exactly what the sox needed last spring when wake was hurt and we had the lenny dinardo experiment fuck up every 5th start essentially neutering our ability to put together long streaks and stop the bleeding when we needed to.

that is gospel
to think or say if hes somewhat himself he wont help is naive
he wont be starting 30 games and going 8 innings per but he'll eat up some innings and be more effective than the kei igawas and the albert desalvos of the world.

i look forward to his return as i hate him and the false way he carries himself
it has little to do with the way he left us but more of the way hes pimped himself off
i hate the way the press embraces him as some type of roman gladiator
some of the shit ive read from the miami herald to the la times to the milford daily news is incredible revisionist history but i wont get into it at 1225am because i'll be puking in my sleep..

he'll help the yanks if hes anywhere near himself
at least he'll fill the seats

TheKilo
05-27-2007, 11:02 PM
I'd want him to be sharp before he comes up here. He hasn't put it all together in the minors yet, I'd like to have a guaranteed good start.

I didn't have a chance to vent about this yesterday- why the hell did Torre take out Clippard? He wasn't great, but he hadn't thrown a lot of pitches and was throwing strikes. A 1-run game became a 7 run game in the blink of an eye. Gah.

Let's be real, Clippard wasn't fooling anyone. The bullpen is to blame, not Torre.

redsoxrules
05-28-2007, 12:38 PM
they wont send Clemens to Boston in his first start back in NY. No way.

then WTF did they pay him all that money for ? you guys need a sweep desperately this weekend against us , wich means your pitching will need to be sharp , so why not bring the rocket?. isn't this why you guys got him ? to beat the redsox ? .
so jacko what happens if he has a poor performance today ? he's goona keep pitching in the minors?

and you guys can cut the bullshit that he's not ready, for christ sakes he's played in 23 season . the guy is ready

Optimist
05-28-2007, 04:07 PM
and you guys can cut the bullshit that he's not ready, for christ sakes he's played in 23 season . the guy is ready

That's some of the worst logic I've seen in a long time. It doesn't matter if you've been playing this game for a 100 years, your body needs time to get back into form. Why do you think they have spring training?

cut the bullshit

Please do.

redsoxrules
05-28-2007, 04:15 PM
That's some of the worst logic I've seen in a long time. It doesn't matter if you've been playing this game for a 100 years, your body needs time to get back into form. Why do you think they have spring training?

he's been working out and throwing all offseason he's in form

CrespoBlows
05-28-2007, 04:23 PM
he's been working out and throwing all offseason he's in form

How many live games has he pitched in?

He's 45 years old, he is going to need some time to get ready.

jacksonianmarch
05-28-2007, 05:08 PM
he is throwing a gem right now. Clemens looks like he is ready.

26 to 6
05-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Rog' sure does look good today.

TheKilo
05-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Bring him on I'd love to see him in Fenway this weekend.

riverside sluggers
05-28-2007, 08:13 PM
He needs to start against the Red Sox this wknd, put that $28 million investment to good use. Having him pushed towards the White Sox series shows that the Yankees brass is scared of this guy facing the Red Sox. While they avoid that... that would give him what like 6/7 days of rest in between starts?

redsoxrules
05-29-2007, 03:53 PM
well aparently he's ready its just a question of weather he pitches this sunday against the sox or monday against chicago , clemens says... 'id love to pitch against boston on sunday but thats not my decsision'

a700hitter
05-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Roger, go into Joe's office and tell him you want the ball on Sunday. If you do that, chances are that you'll be starting on Sunday. I think you are a huge wuss and you will start Monday against the ChiSox and you'll let Torre take the heat.

adam123
05-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Really doesn't matter Royal Roger cant pitch every day . Paying 28 million to not make the playoffs .. priceless .

Coco's Disciples
05-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Actually it cost $28 mil.

Mr Crunchy
05-30-2007, 06:37 AM
roger will do anything but ask for the ball sunday
he may pretend to want it but his legacy in must win games speaks for itself
of course being 15 out he may indeed come in and shine but dont look for him sunday

jacksonianmarch
05-30-2007, 06:39 AM
Roger has about 10 starts of fight in him. That will be 50 games and if the ship isnt heading in the right direction 50 games from now, he needs to take to teaching. Hughes especially.

BSN07
05-30-2007, 06:42 AM
The only thing he will teach Hughes is how to open the clubhouse door and catch a flight to Texas on time, you guys are grasping at straws if you think Roger is going to stick around and teach Hughes anything besides that...

Mr Crunchy
05-30-2007, 07:18 AM
raja??
listening to the yanks fans try and make excuses why he will pitch monday rather than sunday is fascinating

this maybe the worst signing in mlb history

Moose
05-30-2007, 10:01 AM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6402/untitled2km8gc3.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/977/untitled3wn3jn9.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1172/untitled4pk3de4.jpg

MDF3530
05-31-2007, 04:47 PM
He will be making his first start this year against my Sox. I hope they light him up like the last time he faced them, in Game 1 of the '05 World Series.

schillingouttheks
05-31-2007, 05:00 PM
He will be making his first start this year against my Sox. I hope they light him up like the last time he faced them, in Game 1 of the '05 World Series.

I hope your Sox blow his socks off :) Welcome him back to the AL for us, aight?

riverside sluggers
05-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Key matchup is Jim Thome who is 21 for 57 against Roger with 8 HRs

yeszir
05-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Key matchup is Jim Thome who is 21 for 57 against Roger with 8 HRs

Key matchup is everyone in the order since its really about how well he comes back to pitching in the AL/majors. Hopefully they all do as well as Thome against him...

MDF3530
05-31-2007, 05:32 PM
I hope your Sox blow his socks off :) Welcome him back to the AL for us, aight?
I'll try to pass the message along :D .

Sox Fan on Cape
05-31-2007, 05:38 PM
I think Clemens is done. As usual, he went for the money with the Yanks. However, he chose poorly, as the Yanks suck in pitching and offense. He be a mediocre to poor pitcher, and then feign an injury. What a sad way to leave the game.

26 to 6
06-02-2007, 01:14 PM
raja??
listening to the yanks fans try and make excuses why he will pitch monday rather than sunday is fascinating

this maybe the worst signing in mlb history
I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if he signed the same contract with the Red Sox.

The way I look at it, the reason Roger isn't pitching Sunday, or in this series at all is because of the way the rotation stacks up. You have to be kidding me if you think he's afraid or something. Fact of the matter is that the Yankees don't run things to appease a few select players, but by doing whats in the best interest of the team. When you have Wang, Moose, and Andy lined up, you don't go to them and say "hey, look. We're pushing you back off of your normal rest to accomodate somebody making their season debut." It just doesn't work like that around here.

Something else that occured to me is that if we were to purchase his contract and activate him for this series thats a reliever that we lose from the roster. In a series like this, we NEED as many arms as we can get. 12.5 games out and playing the best team in baseball to this point, you can't make dumb decisions like removing an arm from the pen to start Rog', meanwhile pushing back another starter. It's just stupid. There is no logic in that thinking. So you Sox fans can tell yourselves whatever you want regarding this situation, but the bottom line is we need to do what's best for the team and work towards turning this season around.

26 to 6
06-02-2007, 01:15 PM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6402/untitled2km8gc3.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/977/untitled3wn3jn9.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1172/untitled4pk3de4.jpg
:lol:

Thats pretty funny. It's definitely annoying and ridiculous the amount of attention that ESPN pays Roger.

ORS
06-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if he signed the same contract with the Red Sox.
Check his history of posts re: Clemens. You will find it very consistent. Sometimes it helps to check on these things instead bringing out the cliche counter points.

ARod2212
06-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I think Clemens is done. As usual, he went for the money with the Yanks. However, he chose poorly, as the Yanks suck in pitching and offense. He be a mediocre to poor pitcher, and then feign an injury. What a sad way to leave the game.

Let's allow him to make a big league start before we start writing his epitaph.

Also, I liked this article in the Post the other day.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06012007/sports/yankees/comebacks_can_happen__just_ask_buck_yankees_joel_s herman.htm

It's never over on June 2nd.

schillingouttheks
06-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Fact of the matter is that the Yankees don't run things to appease a few select players, but by doing whats in the best interest of the team.

You're right. It's not like they just let Clemens go home or excuse himself from the team whenever he wants... It's in the best interest of the team :rolleyes:

Bottom line is that they signed Clemens to save their season. This is, to this point, the biggest series of the season for the Yankees. Their "ace" should be demanding the ball this series and craving to make an immediate impact, and the Yankees should expect nothing short of that out of him. At some point Wang and the rest of the rotation are going to be moved back a start because of Roger's insertion into the rotation. If he's your new ace, as I would expect him to be after that ridiculous contract, he should be pitching in front of Wang, and should have pitched at some point during this series.

MDF3530
06-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Well, the Yankees have wussed out and decided that they'd rather have Roger make his season debut at Yankee Stadium, blaming a "groin issue".

26 to 6
06-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Well, the Yankees have wussed out and decided that they'd rather have Roger make his season debut at Yankee Stadium, blaming a "groin issue".
As disappointed as I am that he's been scratched, it'll be awesome if he does pitch on Saturday. A friend and I got tickets expecting to see his second start of the season, and first home start; but it looks like we'll get to see his first start of the 2007 season. Looking forward to it.

More importantly though, hopefully he gets back to full strength and has recovered from his pulled groin and can be effective Saturday.

Bottom line is that they signed Clemens to save their season. This is, to this point, the biggest series of the season for the Yankees. Their "ace" should be demanding the ball this series and craving to make an immediate impact, and the Yankees should expect nothing short of that out of him. At some point Wang and the rest of the rotation are going to be moved back a start because of Roger's insertion into the rotation. If he's your new ace, as I would expect him to be after that ridiculous contract, he should be pitching in front of Wang, and should have pitched at some point during this series.

He can't be the ace at this point in the season. Let him get in competitive game shape and get a start or two under his belt before we hold him to these high expectations. He's Roger Clemens, not Superman. He, like every other player, needs time to get into game shape. This is Spring Training for him, and setbacks do occur. Come the series in August, or god willing October, I can guarantee that Roger will be chomping at the bit to get on that mound and mow down some Red Sox.

jacksonianmarch
06-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Roger will undoubtedly help. Anyone who thinks otherwise is thinking out of their hatred for Roger and not in reality. Lets put things into perspective.

Mussina has an ERA north of 6 and he is averaging barely over 5IP per start
Pettitte has been stellar all season, but vs the sox he has a .315BAA
Wang is finally coming into his own. But still can be hit by the sox.

If we are going to have any prayer of catching you guys, we need a pitcher who could potentially beat you guys without our offense throwing up 9 runs. Clemens may offer that, who knows. But he will also be able to beat the lesser teams (ie EVERYONE ELSE IN THE BIGS), that I am pretty certain of. He'll win his share and help us in his rotation slot. So long as the rest of the slots do what they are supposed to do, we should be alright. Alright meaning we wont give away games before they start like we are using DeSalvo or Igawa tonight.

riverside sluggers
06-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Roger like in the NL Central last year can only give 5 or 6 innings (maybe occasional 7) while pitching in the AL East. Christ, he hasnt pitched for the Yankees yet and he's hurt. Instead of giving it 2 weeks he's going to push those tired legs to just a 5 day return.

jacksonianmarch
06-04-2007, 06:59 AM
Roger like in the NL Central last year can only give 5 or 6 innings (maybe occasional 7) while pitching in the AL East. Christ, he hasnt pitched for the Yankees yet and he's hurt. Instead of giving it 2 weeks he's going to push those tired legs to just a 5 day return.

I would assume he can average 6 innings. Maybe it is me being a homer. Or maybe it is me seeing how many pitcher per inning he had last season and thinking that 6 innings and a PC around 108-110 per night is possible. At the same time, I'll take a quality 6 innings any day of the week. We'll see if he can give that.

Mr Crunchy
06-04-2007, 07:23 AM
what a fucking cunt
fatigued groin??

sure
the famous fatigued groin that knocked him out of the 1st inning in the world series
2 years ago
the one that got him knocked out of the aldc series with oakland....7 years ago
christ
they havent even tee'd off on him and hes doing ""the raja""

isnt there someone who can save this man from his chronic groin trouble??
what a fucking cunt this guy is

raja should be break dancin with dewayne and re run

rician blast
06-04-2007, 08:41 AM
hey, hey, hey, Sean.

Rerun? Nice.

Betcha Shirley Hemphill has a bigger set of balls than this self-indulgent prick.

riverside sluggers
06-04-2007, 10:50 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnSJVGi1THnhZYKnFvmPbPg8R9MF?slug=styank eesclemens&prov=st&type=lgns

Au Contraire (spelling?), it is not yet determined Roger will return on Saturday against the Pirates. He is having an MRI done today, from there they will announce when his next start might be

schillingouttheks
06-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Wooooo he's returning against the PIRATES!!!

Wonderful. He gets the chance to mow down the NL lineups to look like God, and when he "comes back to earth" (aka pitching to his ability in the AL) he'll be given a break after his "tremendous" outings against the NL. :rolleyes:

riverside sluggers
06-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Its also at Yankee Stadium :rolleyes: God get ready for those curtain calls for the $28 million man, pitching good against those pesky Pirates

per roto

An MRI showed that Roger Clemens had disrupted scar tissue in his sore right groin.

They're calling it disrupted because it sounds better than torn scar tissue. Either way, it's not a big setback for Clemens, who played catch today and will throw in the bullpen Wednesday. If that goes well, he'll likely start Saturday.

jacksonianmarch
06-04-2007, 05:33 PM
torn scar tissue is nothing. All systems go for launch on Saturday.

riverside sluggers
06-04-2007, 05:34 PM
torn scar tissue is nothing to a 45 year old who has had leg/groin problems in the recent past?

BSN07
06-05-2007, 04:11 AM
A Fatigued groin? Ive heard it all now....

MDF3530
06-05-2007, 06:45 PM
A Fatigued groin? Ive heard it all now....The only groin issue is he doesn't have the testicular fortitude to make his first start outside of Yankee Stadium.

rician blast
06-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Clemens is a mercenary and self-indulgent/self-important cocksucker. He's the Carlos Santana of baseball.

Carlos: "What? Rob Thomas is hot right now? I'll get him to sing on a song where I play my same boring solos as usual. Wait, Michelle Branch? Yeah, I'll record with her. I'll break out the licks from the Zebop album and re-use them. Did someone say Chad Kroeger? Huh, Shakira? Shit this is easy...play the same stale crap and ride the coattails of others yet come out looking like a fucking genius!"

Sorry, XMRadio just had Mr. Carlos "It's time to fucking unite as a planet" Santana on two stations back to back and I couldn't take it.

ARod2212
06-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Wooooo he's returning against the PIRATES!!!

Wonderful. He gets the chance to mow down the NL lineups to look like God

I read today that his first three starts will probably line up against National League teams. I don't care who he beats, as long as we get wins. He's an upgrade over DeSalvo or Chase Wright.

yankees228
06-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I think the whole Clemens thing is pretty basic, he's not nearly worth the money they're paying him, but he's definitely an upgrade over others that have started games for the 2007 New York Yankees.