PDA

View Full Version : Obsevations of Pedrioa, Lugo, and Wily mo

ANiMAL
05-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Pedrioa:
I think Pedrios is really coming into his own as of late. He has played spectacular defense and his hitting is coming back to par. This is his combined Statistics in May in 41 ABs.

.366 AVG
.435 OBP
4 Walks
1 Strikeout
5 Extra Base hits

These are the stats that the Red Sox would love to see all year. People shouldn't have much to complain about him now.

Lugo:
I really do not like him as our leadoff hitter. He may be fast but he has trouble getting on base. He has a low average and he is not clutch. His only memorable clutch moment on the Sox has an error. I do not know why he continues to lead off. Cora/Pedrioa make out to be a better leadoff hitter than Lugo.

Wily Mo:
I do not know why so many people are against Wily Mo. He is a power hitter, and thats it. He may strike out a lot and have a low average, but he will homer a lot. If you like small ball, than Wily Mo is not your guy, but the Red Sox play aggressive hitting baseball and he fits in perfectly. Have him in the 8 spot all year and he will hit 30-40 HR's a year with 80-100 RBI's. I know he's a back up, but he's a great guy to have in a PH spot with 2 outs, a man on 1st, and down by 2.

CrespoBlows
05-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Pedrioa:
I think Pedrios is really coming into his own as of late. He has played spectacular defense and his hitting is coming back to par. This is his combined Statistics in May in 41 ABs.

.366 AVG
.435 OBP
4 Walks
1 Strikeout
5 Extra Base hits

These are the stats that the Red Sox would love to see all year. People shouldn't have much to complain about him now.

Lugo:
I really do not like him as our leadoff hitter. He may be fast but he has trouble getting on base. He has a low average and he is not clutch. His only memorable clutch moment on the Sox has an error. I do not know why he continues to lead off. Cora/Pedrioa make out to be a better leadoff hitter than Lugo.

Wily Mo:
I do not know why so many people are against Wily Mo. He is a power hitter, and thats it. He may strike out a lot and have a low average, but he will homer a lot. If you like small ball, than Wily Mo is not your guy, but the Red Sox play aggressive hitting baseball and he fits in perfectly. Have him in the 8 spot all year and he will hit 30-40 HR's a year with 80-100 RBI's. I know he's a back up, but he's a great guy to have in a PH spot with 2 outs, a man on 1st, and down by 2.

If you stop using clutch as an argument, I will say this is a great post.

BTW, Pena should have been in there against Proctor last night.

ksushi
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Pedroia really puts a charge in the ball. Even when he wasn't getting the hits, every out he made was a loud out. He still slips into that upper cut swing sometimes, but for the most part its leveled out and I like him a lot.

ANiMAL
05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
If you stop using clutch as an argument, I will say this is a great post.

BTW, Pena should have been in there against Proctor last night.

I read you loud and clear.

adam123
05-22-2007, 02:05 PM
I am really starting to like pedrioa i will admit i was skeptical but he all right . youk needs to be back at leadoff hes killing the ball right now

TedWilliams101
05-22-2007, 02:17 PM
We need a legit leadoff hitter. Lugo simply isn't that. I like Youk in the 2 spot and I guess there really no one else to leadoff other than Lugo. I just can't wait for Ellsbury.

ksushi
05-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Ellsbury is hitting .239 in AAA right now. He'll shape up and be a player eventually, but you'll be waiting longer than this season.

riverside sluggers
05-22-2007, 04:11 PM
As I saw in rotoworld, maybe the Sox could swap Youk & Drew in the batting order. Drew always takes a good deal of pitches and might find some good pitches to hit while hitting in front of Ortiz/Manny. Youk is off to a hot start and (like last year) is one of the best hitters with RISP. Especially RISP/2 outs!! Why not have him hitting 5th behind Manny?

Pedroia, if actually given consistent playing time, will settle into a good player for the Sox. His defense is already one of the game's best for this year as a 2nd baseman

adam123
05-22-2007, 04:14 PM
As I saw in rotoworld, maybe the Sox could swap Youk & Drew in the batting order. Drew always takes a good deal of pitches and might find some good pitches to get some muscle behind. Youk is off to a hot start and (like last year) is one of the best hitters with RISP. Especially RISP/2 outs. Why not have him hitting 5th behind Manny?

Pedroia, if actually given consistent playing time, will settle into a good player for the Sox. His defense is already one of the game's best for this year as a 2nd baseman

That would be a good thing maybee help drew get out of his slump :thumbsup:

Rdsxmbnt
05-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Ellsbury is hitting .239 in AAA right now. He'll shape up and be a player eventually, but you'll be waiting longer than this season.

batting .267 now actually

And I like the idea of Drew hitting 2nd, interesting

TedWilliams101
05-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Very intersting indeed. Drew does manage to walk alot, so at least he can get on base.

I don't expect Ellsbury to play for the Sox this season. He'll probably see some playing time next year at the earliest. I just can't wait.

CrespoBlows
05-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Youkilis and Drew at the top would make the most sense.

schillingouttheks
05-22-2007, 05:19 PM
With Lowell riding his hot streak in the 5th slot?

Mr Crunchy
05-23-2007, 08:12 AM
lowell should be hitting 5th
ideally if drew is on he is the solid 2 hitter based on obp,hes not a legit 5.
he isnt on
he should be hitting below lowell at this stage of the season and if he starts producing he could be moved back.

ANiMAL
05-23-2007, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't switch a damn thing until we lose 2 in a row.

Youk
Drew
Ortiz
Manny
Lowell
Varitek
Lugo
Coco
Pedrioa/Cora

.... interesting except that we will have 2 solid lefties in a row.

But like i said before, dont switch a thing until we lose 2 in a row.

rician blast
05-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Youk
Drew
Ortiz
Manny
Lowell
Varitek
Lugo
Coco
Pedrioa/Cora
.... interesting except that we will have 2 solid lefties in a row.

I see two lefties in a row. But SOLID? Where?

HeadOfSoxNation
05-23-2007, 10:32 AM

I have 100% confidence that Drew will improve beyond solid...

God I wish I really believed that.

ANiMAL
05-23-2007, 10:56 AM

Drew SHOULD be a solid player, but he isnt performing like one right now. So you are right, right now they're arnt any two solid lefties in a row.

adam123
05-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Drew is stinking up the joint . Thank god we have best record in the game or he would be hearing it right now .

ANiMAL
05-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Why Drew? Why not Manny or Lugo?

We are in first for a reason, and if we weren't there would be other contributed factors; not just JD Drew.

TGov
05-23-2007, 01:48 PM
I like our lineup as is now...

[R] Lugo
[R] Youk
[L] Ortiz
[R] Manny
[L] Drew
[R] Lowell
[S] Tek
[S] Coco
[R] Pedroia

I like Lugo leading off because he's been there before, I know he may not be on base 100% of the time but he can run and takes some pitch if I'm not mistaking... Youk is in the perfect spot for him, gets on base, can hit and take pitches w/ the best of them... Drew in the 5 hole is great when he's playing how he's suppose to but right now he's in the gutter... Lowell is hot right now if you were going to move him put him 5... I like Coco lower in the order because he can run more frequently, drop down a bunt also... Pedroia is in the perfect spot for a young rising star such as himself, no pressure, also he has a big swing so when he gets a hold of one it can leave the yard...

It's a well balanced lineup, speed at the top/bottom, of course you better guys are at the top but they have some guys in the lower part of the order who can hit too...

CrespoBlows
05-23-2007, 06:07 PM
1. Youkilis
2. Drew
3. Ortiz
4. Ramirez
5. Lowell
6. Pena
7. Varitek
8. Lugo
9. Pedroia

Teddyballgame10
05-23-2007, 10:22 PM
I really like what im seeing from Pedroia right now, he got off to a slow start but so did Cano. I think he'll be great down the stretch given more time.

ANiMAL
05-24-2007, 09:11 AM
I like Lugo leading off because he's been there before, I know he may not be on base 100% of the time but he can run and takes some pitch if I'm not mistaking... Youk is in the perfect spot for him, gets on base, can hit and take pitches w/ the best of them... Drew in the 5 hole is great when he's playing how he's suppose to but right now he's in the gutter... Lowell is hot right now if you were going to move him put him 5... I like Coco lower in the order because he can run more frequently, drop down a bunt also... Pedroia is in the perfect spot for a young rising star such as himself, no pressure, also he has a big swing so when he gets a hold of one it can leave the yard...

It's a well balanced lineup, speed at the top/bottom, of course you better guys are at the top but they have some guys in the lower part of the order who can hit too...

I don't care if he's been there before, he's not hitting liek a leadoff hitter. Plus he's never played in Boston, players tend to change when they go to Boston, good or bad [ex) Ortiz, Coco].

If we lose the upcoming series in Texas we should switch our lineup around.

ANiMAL
05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Last night Lugo goes 0/5 and left 4 on base. His BA is now .236.
Pedrioa goes 2/4 and his BA is now a respectable .269.
Wily Mo went 2/4 and his BA is also .269.

I think this agrees with my observations.

BTW, Wily Mo's and Pedrioa's BA is higher than 4 Red Sox starters and 4 Yankees starters. I hope I don't hear any negative comments about them for a while.

EvilDonut
05-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Why Drew? Why not Manny or Lugo?

I focus more on Drew simply because he's been paid ridiculously. And, Unlike Manny, we don't know how he should do here.

TheKilo
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Lugo's home/away splits:

Home
AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
86 15 26 7 1 1 16 10 0 9 8 0 .302 .371 .442 .813

Away
92 10 16 3 0 2 11 6 0 14 4 0 .174 .222 .272 .494

redsoxrules
05-24-2007, 05:38 PM
lugo has the most AB on this team and his OBP is only .296 , he needs to pick it up big time

a700hitter
05-24-2007, 05:54 PM
More than a quarter through the season and Trot Nixon is clearly outperforming the clearly overpaid J.D. Drew.

TheKilo
05-24-2007, 07:42 PM
More than a quarter through the season and Trot Nixon is clearly outperforming the clearly overpaid J.D. Drew.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Coco's Disciples
05-24-2007, 08:28 PM
From RotoAuthority:

Once a week, RotoAuthority will cover players who boast a contact rate of 86% or better, but are hitting below .270. By virtue of how often these guys put the bat on the ball, they have a decent shot at raising their averages. Contact rate is calculated as (AB-K)/AB. Additionally, we'll look at those hitting over .300 with a contact rate at 80% or less.

Let's take a look at our batting average underachievers.

NAME CR AVG
Jason Kendall 87.82% 0.192
Alberto Callaspo 90.91% 0.202
Joe Crede 86.67% 0.215
Melky Cabrera 89.08% 0.218
Alfredo Amezaga 87.29% 0.229
Adam Kennedy 95.04% 0.231
Doug Mientkiewicz 88.46% 0.231
Omar Vizquel 87.95% 0.235
Julio Lugo 87.08% 0.236
Rich Aurilia 88.51% 0.236
Shea Hillenbrand 91.37% 0.237
Brian Schneider 86.23% 0.239
Jason Bartlett 86.82% 0.240
Conor Jackson 87.93% 0.241
Jose Lopez 87.22% 0.241
Maicer Izturis 90.43% 0.245
Jack Wilson 92.07% 0.250
A.J. Pierzynski 92.20% 0.255
Sean Casey 91.49% 0.255
Mark Grudzielanek 90.71% 0.257
Mike Sweeney 89.71% 0.257
Pedro Feliz 86.49% 0.257
Kevin Mench 92.04% 0.265
Cesar Izturis 92.66% 0.266
Kenny Lofton 89.04% 0.267
Dustin Pedroia 92.31% 0.269
Darin Erstad 88.96% 0.270
David Eckstein 96.45% 0.270
Juan Pierre 91.00% 0.270
A lot of these players should be able to hit their way off this list. Crede, Vizquel, Lugo, and Jackson should all see their averages rise.

And now those hitting .300 or better with a CR below 80%.

NAME CR AVG
Matt Holliday 80.00% 0.337
Miguel Cabrera 78.05% 0.317
Carlos Pena 74.31% 0.312
John Buck 74.00% 0.310
B.J. Upton 61.64% 0.308
Mark Teixeira 75.42% 0.307
Alex Rodriguez 79.77% 0.306
Mark Teahen 75.15% 0.303
Not concerned with Holliday, Cabrera, or A-Rod maintaining strong averages, but the rest might be in for a tumble.

Pedroia is supposedly underachieving at the plate, so his average should rise even more. Same with Lugo.

a700hitter
05-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Was my statement accurate? If this hold by the end of the year, the Drew signing will have been a huge mistake, becuase we will be stuck with Drew for 4 more years at $14million/year. We could have used that dough to make a run at Ichiro, Hunter or Andruw jones to play CF. I'm not saying that this will hold until the end of the year. It is just a snapshot. It's more useful than the prospect stats that I read on these boards all the time.

ksushi
05-25-2007, 06:07 PM
You're alive! I though you died when Pedroia got his average back above .250

RedSoxRooter
05-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Is it just me or does Drew look like he's got a hurt back? This goes back to before the wall collision. He just looks stiff in everything he does. Even on defense. He didn't look that way in spring training.

TheKilo
05-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Was my statement accurate? If this hold by the end of the year, the Drew signing will have been a huge mistake, becuase we will be stuck with Drew for 4 more years at $14million/year. We could have used that dough to make a run at Ichiro, Hunter or Andruw jones to play CF. I'm not saying that this will hold until the end of the year. It is just a snapshot. It's more useful than the prospect stats that I read on these boards all the time.

I think it's funny you want to run Drew out of town for a guy who strikes out 25% of the time.

ORS
05-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Does anybody else not see the full-fledged irony in this? a700 is complaining about not being able to sign established, proven vets, because we signed a, well, established, proven vet. That would be like jsinger complaining about keeping prospects. Too funny.

a700hitter
05-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Does anybody else not see the full-fledged irony in this? a700 is complaining about not being able to sign established, proven vets, because we signed a, well, established, proven vet. That would be like jsinger complaining about keeping prospects. Too funny.No flip-flop ORS. I make my criticisms on a case by case basis. I certainly did not criticize the FO this off-season for not spending money. You are wrong on that one. I saw this off-season's spending spree as a reaction to the embarrassment that they suffered in 2006. I level my criticisms with regard to the individual merits of each case. I was one of the few posters that thought re-signing Nixon at a bargain price for one ortwo years was a no-lose situation, especially with WMP available to platoon. I never liked the amount of money being thrown at Drew. How many posters liked that deal? I started a thread with a poll as to re-signing Nixon vs. signing Drew. I was told to "get over it. " I was told that Nixon was completely finished and it was time for him to move on, and other trite, non-responsive responses. So, there is no irony here. Apologize ORS.

a700hitter
05-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I think it's funny you want to run Drew out of town for a guy who strikes out 25% of the time.Who is looking to run Drew out of town. The way he is playing we are stuck with him for 5 years. Does it break some regulation on this board to evaluate the moves of the FO as the season goes along. If Nixon outperforms Drew this season, and we could have Nixon for $3 million as opposed to $70 million for 5 years, we would have had a lot of dough to throw at any one of the three available CF's that will be available this off-season- all of whom I like much better than Drew. Again, this is a snapshot look, and this will probably not be the case at the end of the season as will Youklis' .330+ BA.

TedWilliams101
05-26-2007, 06:29 PM
ORS, every team in baseball would take Torii Hunter over JD Drew in a heart beat. Hunter has won 6 gold gloves in CF, and although his career numbers are a bit lower than Drew, he has been consistant and hasn't been an injury risk. Andrew Jones is another. Jones has won 9 gold gloves, and is a big power threat. He consistantly hits 30+ homers with 100+RBIs. He has 7 season with 30+ HR and 5 with 100+ RBI, every other year he has come very close to both stats. OMG HE STRIKES OUT!!! AHHH!!!! OMG!!!! Hes productive. Even now hes in a bad slump, but he still has 6HR, 31RBI, and 29 walks. Guess how many times he's been on the DL... 0. Virtually no injury risk. JD Drew has NOTHING on Jones. I don't care how much "potential" Drew has. He hasn't ever put it together and done anything with it. Jones actually has. Arguing that JD is better than Jones or Hunter is rediculous and just wrong.

Anuj09
05-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Torri has his fair share of time on the dl but imo hes a better OF and overal player at Drew. Is Abreau a free-agent? if so i think Torri goes to the yankees or something i dunno what would happen to Damon. Maybe they move Matsui to right and have Damon play left and Hunter play center. Maybe but i doubt it.

ANiMAL
05-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Pedrioa's got a 7 game hit streak. His BA is now .279. This is the Pedrioa I had expected in the Off-season.

Lugo now has a .225 BA.

Just keeping everyone updated:D

schillingouttheks
05-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Eh, despite his suckiness in the leadoff position...when he gets on, he can snag a base. Getting the RBI and the steal every now and then, mixed in with the winning and his solid defense, are the things that are keeping me from absolutely losing my patience with him. I'm not happy with him, but I'm not about to rip him a new one...even though he's testing my patience.

Wily Mo should have been playing today instead of Hinske. However, despite Cliff Lee pitching against us tomorrow I think we need to leave Drew in the lineup. You could always throw Wily Mo in there to face the lefty, but Drew had a nice game today and had 4 hard hit balls that he put into play. Let him continue to make contact and settle in.

On days where Papi gets off, you need to put Wily Mo and his raw power in there to make up for the loss of power with Papi out of the lineup. Hinske in the lineup doesn't really help anyone. If there's someone I want to get at bats, it's Pena. Not Hinske.

Mr Crunchy
05-27-2007, 10:50 PM
duddys ab tonite against gagne was a thing of beauty to watch
outstanding effort and a huge insurance run
im not on board with duddy or drew but we play the hand we're dealt
its not important what we think its important that the gm makes moves that improve our team
i will never agree with them 100% of the time

drew had a decent game last nite with 3bbs and had 2 hits today
crisp had a big hit
pedroia added and lugo did something positive,i forgot what it was but it was positive
theos 3 new faces,lugo drew and pedroia,are struggling #s wise yet seem to do what it takes to help the club...its a team game and you will need all 25 guys at some point to help