PDA

View Full Version : Matt LaPorta, former sox draftee...

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I thought I had heard the name before. Matt LaPorta, one of the top prospects in this draft, was drafted last season by the sox with pick #433. Granted, financially, he is making out on this deal, but they had to know what kind of talent they had there. Hell, he had a better yr last season than he did this and he is considered by many to be a top 10 pick. Why did they let him slip out of their hands? There has to be an amount of money that he would have accepted to get into the system.

I know he is a Boras client, and I know that he wants a MLB contract, but the irony of it is, this guy is a potential yankee pick if his demands scare enough teams off. Imagine that. You guys draft a kid, cant sign him, we take him the next yr, sign him and he comes back to bite you. I like that idea.

ORS
06-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Lars Anderson and Aaron Bates.

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Ah, now I see. Still, you get a top level talent like that, he could be better than those 2. And if he isnt, he has a dealable value.

ORS
06-07-2007, 11:16 AM
He wanted to get paid for projectability. Sox wanted to pay for performance. He had a relatively crummy Jr year, so there was some concern, and there was no need to go as high as he was asking with one college and one HS 1B with projectable power already signed. He had a great year, so it paid off for him. That happens a lot.

riverside sluggers
06-07-2007, 11:34 AM
So basically this thread was made, not to talk about this prospect... but shove it in Sox fan's faces that the Yankees potentially get a 1st baseman slugger that was drafted by the Sox the year before? Thats is he pans out as well through the minors and who is blocking him. Also it wasnt about money, hell the Sox gave $4 million to Hansen. LaPorta wanted to go back to school and be a higher draft pick in 2007

I pray to god that if the Yankees draft him, they sign him to a major league contract... that will only come to bite them

ORS
06-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Also it wasnt about money, hell the Sox gave $4 million to Hansen. LaPorta wanted to go back to school and be a higher draft pick in 2007
If it wasn't about money, then why does he care about where he got drafted?

It's always about money.

riverside sluggers
06-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Arent higher draft picks awarded bigger signing bonuses? Also I'll understand with the Sox's cautious steps if he was asking them for a major league contract.

schillingouttheks
06-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Arent higher draft picks awarded bigger signing bonuses? Also I'll understand with the Sox's cautious steps if he was asking them for a major league contract.

But a bigger signing bonus = he's thinking about money. Didn't you say it's not about money?

riverside sluggers
06-07-2007, 11:57 AM
But a bigger signing bonus = he's thinking about money. Didn't you say it's not about money?

For the Sox its not about the money because they have bank, of course it is for LaPorta and Boras. Still theres a thin line to how much the Sox will give up for a kid coming out of college

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 12:00 PM
you can always go well over slot like the yankees did with Betances.

ORS
06-07-2007, 12:03 PM
The Sox were offering LaPorta well over slot, just like they did with Lars. LaPorta wanted first round money. Everyone knew it, which is why he slipped to the 14th round. I was all for signing the kid because I've seen him play on TV here quite a bit, and he swings a mean stick. That said, the options they went with aren't exactly disappointing.

CrespoBlows
06-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Also it wasnt about money, hell the Sox gave $4 million to Hansen. LaPorta wanted to go back to school and be a higher draft pick in 2007

:wtf:

I pray to god that if the Yankees draft him, they sign him to a major league contract... that will only come to bite them

This kid will be in the big leagues in about two or three years.

schillingouttheks
06-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Well, he just went to Milwaukee. Now jacko can stop talking about this.

ORS
06-07-2007, 01:51 PM
http://allstarz.hollywood.com/~malkovich/gallery2/ted.jpg So, dee Meel-Wah-Kay Brewers hev seelekted LaPorta. All your dreems of steeking it to dee Rehdsoks are go-ink down dee drain. You must feel soooo bad.

riverside sluggers
06-07-2007, 01:53 PM
He might be moved to the outfield if he has a quick progression up through the minor system, with Fielder firmly entrenched at 1st base