PDA

View Full Version : Sox 2007 Draft

ORS
06-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Results of the '07 draft.......

55. Nick Hagadone, LHP, 6-5 230, University of Washington

BA

Hagadone was a big-bodied lefthander with a low- to mid-80s fastball and solid breaking ball his first two seasons at Washington, and he entered the 2007 season as the Huskies' Friday starter despite having made just five career starts. He has dramatically increased his arm strength and velocity, as his physical ability and improved mechanics came together perfectly. Coach Ken Knudson moved Hagadone back to the bullpen after two starts, and his velocity jumped, as did his performance (1.88 ERA, 10 saves). Hagadone was throwing in the 90-93 mph range and had several outings when he hit 94-95 mph repeatedly. He also features a power slider that's at least an average pitch. While his delivery isn't textbook and his fastball tends to flatten out, he's deceptive, keeps the ball down (one home run allowed) and has some feel for pitching. His changeup also has average potential, and Hagadone likely will be given a chance to start in pro ball.

62. Ryan Dent, R/R SS, 6-0 190, Woodrow Wilson HS

BA

With a strong but short body in the Rafael Furcal mold, Dent emerged on last year's showcase circuit as one of Southern California's top hitting prospects, helping the Reds scout team to the World Wood Bat Association championship in the fall. Teams that believe in Dent's hitting may be willing to spend a first-round pick on one of the draft's better runners (he gets from home to first in under 4.1 seconds from the right side) and athletes. He lashes line drives from gap to gap with a short, quick stroke and has sound hitting mechanics. His speed is in play from his first step out of the batter's box; he aggressively stretches singles into doubles. His aggressiveness works against him in his impatience at the plate. Dent doesn't have an obvious defensive home, and most scouts aren't sold on him at shortstop, as his actions, arm and range are just average. He's athletic enough to handle either second base or center field and profiles as a top-of-the-order hitter, especially if he can learn to take a walk as a pro.

84. Jeffrey Morris, L/R 3B, 6-2 200, Virgil I Grissom HS

BA

Morris has one of the best approaches among the high school draft class. But outside of his polish at the plate, his swing has holes and his defensive shortcomings are obvious. An Aflac All-American, he enjoyed a successful high school career as a four-year starter. In Grissom's state quarterfinals loss, Morris broke a bone in his right hand while taking a swing. He had surgery and was expected to be able to swing a bat a week before the draft. The injury isn't a major issue because Morris wasn't considered signable beyond the sandwich round, and he has second- to third-round value. He'll likely attend Auburn, where he could be a mainstay in the heart of its batting order. Morris is patient and powerful, and he feasts on fastballs over the plate, especially down in the zone. He broke the Alabama record for walks in a season with 59 this spring, eclipsing the 54 Athletics farmhand Jeremy Brown racked up in 2002. His swing is grooved and sweepy, and he struggles with pulling his hands inside the ball and keeping his stroke short, which could present difficulties against more experienced pitching. He's stiff defensively, with a below-average arm, meaning he's probably best suited for first base.

I'll post more when I can find some SR on the 114 and 144. Not picking Harvey still has me curious.

(to be editted as picks are made)

riverside sluggers
06-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Scouting report?

The Sox have selected lefty pitcher Nick Hagadone from Washington

EDIT: Got this from boston.com

The skinny: MLB.com says: "After spending last year starting behind Tim Lincecum, Hagadone became Washington's Friday night starter to begin the year. He was moved to the bullpen after two starts because of team need and has been oustanding for the Huskies, showing the ability to save games and pitch multiple innings. With a chance to have a good three-pitch mix, some teams may want to move him back into a rotation once drafted, but worst-case, they'd have a pretty good lefty setup man on their hands."

At the University of Washington, Hagadone combined with Lincecum to pitch a no-hitter against the Santa Clara Broncos in 2006.
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2007/tracker.jsp?mc=hagadone

BoSox21
06-07-2007, 06:12 PM
With the 62nd overall pick, the Sox took Ryan Dent, a high school shortstop. He's got decent size at 6'0" and 190 pounds. He's said to have a good bat with the ability to spray hits everywhere but his true strength is his speed. Scouts say he has the potential to be an outfielder as well as a middle infielder.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2007/tracker.jsp?mc=dent

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Round 4- Chris Province SE Louisiana U.

No SR on him.

example1
06-07-2007, 07:17 PM
You missed Pick #84 Jeffrey Morris, 3B/OF, 6'4/200 L/R, High School Alabama
and Pick #114 Brock Huntzinger, RHP HS Pitcher

example1
06-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Dent is my favorite Sox pick so far, I think. 3/5 are from HS. Odd, but understandable. We likely won't be seeing anyone from this draft for a long time.

Is there reason to think that Hagadone is any better than, say, Masterson or Cox or Kris Johnson? This seems like a fairly weak draft, but, of course, the Sox have fewer top picks than they have the past few years.

NateGrey
06-07-2007, 07:25 PM
.. Chris Province ..

Righthander Chris Province went undrafted as a junior in 2006 despite showing a plus fastball. Serving as Southeastern Louisiana's closer this year, he kicked his fastball up to 94-97 mph by the end of the season and will be one of the better senior signs in the draft. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Province also scrapped his curveball for a slider that improved tremendously in May, clocking at 86-88 mph in the last week of the regular season. He came on strong late in the spring and now could go in the second or third round, especially if a team is looking to save money with a college senior.

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Dent is my favorite Sox pick so far, I think. 3/5 are from HS. Odd, but understandable. We likely won't be seeing anyone from this draft for a long time.

Is there reason to think that Hagadone is any better than, say, Masterson or Cox or Kris Johnson? This seems like a fairly weak draft, but, of course, the Sox have fewer top picks than they have the past few years.

Just got a 2 way player in Middlebrooks. 94mph heater, but looks like he'll be a 3b for you guys. Another HS kid.

Why the hell has Chris Carpenter fallen so far?

riverside sluggers
06-07-2007, 07:48 PM

Agree, from what Ive read about him so far, he's def a prospect I'll be keeping my ears out for

roto

The Red Sox made high school shortstop Ryan Dent and University of Washington LHP Nicholas Hagadone their first two picks on Thursday.

It was thought the Red Sox might take any of the big names that dropped, but they passed on Matt Harvey. Hagadone, the 55th pick, may go the Jonathan Papelbon route, moving from the bullpen in college to the rotation in the minors. Dent, drafted 62nd, is a toolsy middle infielder who might end up at second base or in center field. He possesses terrific speed, and the Red Sox will hope he blossoms into a leadoff man.

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 07:58 PM
sounds like a mix of Pedroia and Ellsbury. Interesting they would go that route. Still baffled that Carpenter is still available.

example1
06-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Just got a 2 way player in Middlebrooks. 94mph heater, but looks like he'll be a 3b for you guys. Another HS kid.

Not that it matters, but this is my 2nd favorite pick of the draft. A football quarterback and all-state punter, who can hit 94 and has the "power potential you'd hope to see from a 6-4 200 pounder". He could pitch, he could be a fielder.

"he hasn't done that much pitching. If he were to focus solely on pitching, he could take off in the future."

Haven't we seen similar reports about another certain Sox pitching prospect? I don't know what position they will have this guy play, but his resume makes him sound like a winner.

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 08:42 PM
it has been an interesting draft for the sox. Here's the breakdown

Rd 1A- Player Name: Nick Hagadone
Position: Starting Pitcher
School: University of Washington
School Type: Four-Year College
Academic Class: Junior
Birthdate: 01/01/86
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 230 lbs.
Bats: Left
Throws: Left
Report Date(s): 05/04/07
Game(s): Oregon State

Focus Area Comments
Fastball: Hagadone throws his fastball in the 90-93 mph range.
FB Movement: Hagadone has some nice arm side run on his fastball.
Slider: Hagadone has an above-average slider that gives left-handed hitters fits. It has good bite and depth to it.
Changeup: Hagadone has the makings of a change and it has the chance to be an average or better third pitch. When he's throwing it well, it has good fade.
Control: Hagadone has the ability to command all three pitches.
Poise: Clearly the leader of Washington's pitching staff, he has a quiet confidence and is known for a tremendous work ethic.
Physical Description: Hagadone is a big, strong lefty who has experience as a Friday night starter and closer.
Medical Update: Healthy.
Strengths: He has the chance to be a three-pitch guy. He's got plus makeup and leadership qualities. Even though he's closing now, he's much more than a one-inning guy.
Weaknesses: He needs to stay back more. His future role is unclear, with some thinking he should stay in the pen and others wanting him back as a starter.
Summary: After spending last year starting behind Tim Lincecum, Hagadone became Washington's Friday night starter to begin the year. He was moved to the bullpen after two starts because of team need and has been oustanding for the Huskies, showing the ability to save games and pitch multiple innings. With a chance to have a good three-pitch mix, some teams may want to move him back into a rotation once drafted, but worst-case, they'd have a pretty good lefty setup man on their hands.

Rd 1A- Player Name: Ryan Dent
Position: Shortstop/second base
School: Wilson HS, Long Beach, Calif.
School Type: High school
Academic Class: Senior
Birthdate: 03/15/89
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Bats: Right
Throws: Right
Report Date(s): 02/05/07
Game(s): Urban Academy Showcase

Focus Area Comments
Hitting Ability: Dent has some life in his bat and makes consistent contact.
Power: Though not his top tool, Dent does have some pop.
Running Speed: Dent may have been the fastest player at the Showcase, with one of the better 60 times at the event.
Base Running: Dent puts his speed to very good use on the basepaths.
Arm Strength: Dent has some arm strength, though there is some question over whether he'll be able to stay at shortstop.
Fielding: Dent can play the middle infield, with his speed being his best asset. He's also a good enough athlete to handle a move to the outfield if needed.
Range: Dent uses his plus speed to cover a decent amount of ground.
Physical Description: Dent is a small, speedy and very athletic middle infielder.
Medical Update: Dent was hurt last year, missing some of the summer showcases, but appeared healthy at the Urban Academy.
Strengths: Speed and bat. Dent profiles as a future leadoff-hitting type.
Weaknesses: Defense. There's debate over whether he'll be able to play shorstop long-term, with a move to second likely.
Summary: With a strong bat and even better speed, Dent will be a very intriguing prospect for many teams. Athletes like this don’t grow on trees and Dent has shown the ability to hit to all fields and use his speed to wreak havoc on the basepaths. He may not be a middle infielder long-term, but many feel he’s athletic enough to handle a move to the outfield if needed.

Rd 2- Player Name: Hunter Morris
Position: First base/Outfield
School: Grissom High School, Huntsville, AL
School Type: High School
Birthdate: 10/07/88
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 200 lbs.
Bats: Left
Report Date(s): 04/19/07
Game(s): Cullman High School

Focus Area Comments
Hitting Ability: Morris has decent bat speed but his approach at the plate will need some adjusting.
Power: Morris has plus raw power from the left side of the plate.
Running Speed: Morris has below-average speed.
Base running: Despite below-average speed, Morris is an average base runner.
Fielding: Right now, Morris is a slightly below-average fielder but will improve.
Arm strength: He has a fringy average arm.
Range: His range is currently below-average.
Physical Description: The big, strong left-handed hitter has a body type similar to Nick Johnson.
Medical Update: Patterson missed a large chunk of the season with a broken hammate bone in his hand, but came back healthy at the end of the season.
Strengths: His plus raw power and average bat speed.
Weaknesses: His overall hitting approach needs an overhaul and his defense is below-average.
Summary: Morris has put up some ridiculous numbers as a high school outfielder and he does have some pretty legitimate raw power from the left side, a commodity often in high demand. The rest of his game is behind the pop, with his overall approach at the plate needing some work and his defense average at best. Some see him as a fourth outfielder at the next level, but someone is sure to take a chance on his power potential.

Rd 3- Brock Huntzinger

Rd 4- Christopher Province

Rd 5- Player Name: Will Middlebrooks
Position: Starting Pitcher/Infielder
School: Liberty-Eylau HS, Texarkana, TX
Birthdate: Not available
Weight: 200 lbs.
Report Date(s): 02/22/07
Game(s): Henderson

Focus Area Comments
Hitting Ability: Good bat with power potential; very athletic.
Power: Middlebrooks has the kind of power potential you'd hope to see in a 6-foot-4, 200-pounder.
Running Speed: Middlebrooks is a slightly below-average runner.
Arm Strength: As a pitching prospect as well, Middlebrooks has above-average arm strength.
Fielding: Middlebrooks is an average fielder with decent hands.
Range: He has average range, at best, and will likely move to third at the next level.
Physical Description: Big and athletic, Middlebrooks is a two-sport star who was the team's quarterback and was an all-state punter.
Strengths: Athleticism, makeup, arm strength, power potential.
Weaknesses: Running speed, range.
Summary: Middlebrooks is a legitimate two-way threat. Aside from running speed, he possesses the tools scouts like to see at the plate (and on the mound).

Focus Area Comments
Fastball: Middlebrooks' fastball topped out at 94 mph and he threw it between 88-94 mph in his outing.
Curve: He threw his curve in the 75-79 mph range and has the makings of an above-average power curve.
Changeup: Middlebrook's changeup grades out as average right now and he threw it in the 77-80 mph range.
Control: His overall command is a little below average right now.
Poise: Middlebrooks has terrific makeup and is extremely competitive on the mound.
Agrressiveness: Middlebrooks is very aggressive and went right after hitters.
Physical Description: Big and athletic, Middlebrooks is a two-sport star who was the team's quarterback and was an all-state punter.
Strengths: Athleticism, makeup, three-pitch mix.
Weaknesses: Command, particularly of his curve.
Summary: Middlebrooks opened some eyes with the start of his 2007 season. A two-sport star who is also a position player prospect, he hasn't done that much pitching. If he were to focus solely on pitching, he could take off in the future.

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 08:43 PM
3 HS players is strange for the sox, who have always had sort of a money ball feel since Theo took over. And I am surprised the sox used their first pick on a pitcher who has limited projectability when Harvey was available.

And their second pick is very baffling. Not a very good pick IMO when you have a guy like Pedroia and Ellsbury in the system. This kid sounds like he's destined for CF or 2b and both are far more advanced than this kid. I would have thought the sox would want to go power or even with more pitching in that spot.

riverside sluggers
06-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Boston.com is reporting that Ryan Dent is committed to play for UCLA, Morris has been accepted to Auburn, and Huntzinger at Indian University. Its all about how the Sox approach these kids with signing bonuses to sway them

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 08:51 PM
but the 5th pick looks like a very solid pick. Tons of projectability on both ends. I am very surprised he fell so low with potential in both power hitting and power pitching.

ORS
06-07-2007, 08:51 PM
A committment to a school means nothing until they step in a classroom.

example1
06-07-2007, 08:52 PM
3 HS players is strange for the sox, who have always had sort of a money ball feel since Theo took over. And I am surprised the sox used their first pick on a pitcher who has limited projectability when Harvey was available.

Apparently they weren't the only ones who passed on Harvey. They must have disliked something about him.

How does this draft in terms of college vs. HS players. It is a pretty widely held opinion that the Moneyball approach of choosing college players is--as you likely know--seen as beneficial because 1) college players have a more thorough statistical track record against better competition (which is beneficial when trying to 'mine' statistics for high OBP/good plate control guys) and 2) they were undervalued.

I think 1) is still true. I think 2) is questionable as it trends the other direction. There are certain HS guys who truly better than some of their college counterparts but who would have been swept up for early-round money in years past. :dunno:

I don't think the college thing is as hard-and-fast as it is often portrayed, just like I don't think the moneyball thing is always about going extremely cheap or for OBP over every other stat. I think its about finding the undervalued-value wherever it may lay at the time.

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Boston.com is reporting that Ryan Dent is committed to play for UCLA, Morris has been accepted to Auburn, and Huntzinger at Indian University. Its all about how the Sox approach these kids with signing bonuses to sway them

again, surprising. Maybe the sox liked what was coming down the pike next yr? Isnt there a rule now that if a player doesnt sign, you get a pick right after the one you would have had the following yr?

example1
06-07-2007, 08:53 PM

Given their spending the past few years I see no reason to think they won't get their guys, or that they would pass on higher priced/higher reward guys if this was a serious risk.

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Apparently they weren't the only ones who passed on Harvey. They must have disliked something about him.

How does this draft in terms of college vs. HS players. It is a pretty widely held opinion that the Moneyball approach of choosing college players is--as you likely know--seen as beneficial because 1) college players have a more thorough statistical track record against better competition (which is beneficial when trying to 'mine' statistics for high OBP/good plate control guys) and 2) they were undervalued.

I think 1) is still true. I think 2) is questionable as it trends the other direction. There are certain HS guys who truly better than some of their college counterparts but who would have been swept up for early-round money in years past. :dunno:

I don't think the college thing is as hard-and-fast as it is often portrayed, just like I don't think the moneyball thing is always about going extremely cheap or for OBP over every other stat. I think its about finding the undervalued-value wherever it may lay at the time.

In terms of Harvey, the only thing that precluded him was the fact that he was a Boras client and he was asking for 8 mil and a MLB contract. I seriously thought the yankees or the sox could have met the monetary demands and kept him off the MLB contract.

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Well, it goes both ways. The best players in the game seem to be all HS draftees. But you bomb out more on HS kids. High risk, high reward it seems.

example1
06-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Well, it goes both ways. The best players in the game seem to be all HS draftees. But you bomb out more on HS kids. High risk, high reward it seems.

Yes. ALL players who ever become anything are, at one time, high schoolers so the HS draft has all players of a certain age who will ever be major leaguers. The college draft pool will hold a smaller percentage of the same group, considerably more sorted out than it was going into the college ranks.

In other words, if you pick a Jr or Sr college player you have a much better idea of what you're getting. However, if you trust your scouts and think you can tell a David Wright when you see one, then you're foolish to pass on him simply because he's in HS.

phillysoxfan115
06-07-2007, 09:08 PM
At first glance, I'd say this draft is meh at best, but as I think about it, I think it is pretty good given their picks. Yes they could have had Harvey, Crosby, and more players of that caliber, but they did get solid players. The one thing that is odd to me is the similarities to last year's draft besides the 1st round of course. Nick Hagadone is a lefty who is a relative unknown kinda similar to Kris Johnson. You got Hunter Morris who is very like Jon Still with the power but thats it. You got the senior signs in Chris Province and Bryce Cox. So, as I thought about it, right now it looks weak, but we can't tell until after MLB's slotting period (1-11 rounds), when the Sox can start to use their deep pockets and not piss of Bud Selig. However, if the draft continues this way for the entire draft, then I'd be less than thrilled, especially when it was speculated that the Roger Clemens $ was going into the draft.

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Rd 1A- Player Name: Nick Hagadone- this is a safe pick IMO. Limited projectability, limited ceiling, high probability of reaching it

Rd 1A- Player Name: Ryan Dent- I really dislike this pick for the sox. Pedroia and Ellsbury are essentially the same player and both are in or near the majors. He seems to have a limited ceiling, no power and fully reliant on his speed. Arm is meh and looks like he'll be a 2b or a CFer. The sox may be better suited to let this kid go and take the compensation pick they'll get if he doesnt sign.

Rd 2- Player Name: Hunter Morris- Kid sounds like a project. High ceiling, high risk. Good pick in the second round though

Rd 3- Brock Huntzinger- dont know enough about this guy

Rd 4- Christopher Province- dont know enough about this guy

Rd 5- Player Name: Will Middlebrooks- I like this pick because of versatility. If he is forced to pick one, he could seriously improve. AND, if he tries one and fails, he always has that second option to go to. future.

mouthbreather
06-07-2007, 10:18 PM
*spam*

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 10:24 PM
*spam*

bansky?

example1
06-07-2007, 11:12 PM
At first glance, I'd say this draft is meh at best, but as I think about it, I think it is pretty good given their picks. Yes they could have had Harvey, Crosby, and more players of that caliber, but they did get solid players. The one thing that is odd to me is the similarities to last year's draft besides the 1st round of course. Nick Hagadone is a lefty who is a relative unknown kinda similar to Kris Johnson. You got Hunter Morris who is very like Jon Still with the power but thats it. You got the senior signs in Chris Province and Bryce Cox. So, as I thought about it, right now it looks weak, but we can't tell until after MLB's slotting period (1-11 rounds), when the Sox can start to use their deep pockets and not piss of Bud Selig. However, if the draft continues this way for the entire draft, then I'd be less than thrilled, especially when it was speculated that the Roger Clemens $ was going into the draft.

Nice post phillysoxfan. I think those are all valid comparisons.

I don't know about the whole clemens money going into the draft thing though. I think the Sox spent something like 8 million on last years draft (feel free to correct me, I'm pretty sure it was between 6-9 m somewhere) which is easily affordable for the number of guys they get if they feel like their scouting has been positive.

Looking at this draft so far, the amazing thing is how fortunate we were the past few years, in retrospect. They went from 10 1st round picks over 2 years to 2, so we shouldn't expect them to get a top-tier draft, when a team like the Giants has 5 first round picks.

I have a really good feeling about Middlebrooks, simply from the description of him that I've read of him he sounds like a guy who will play in the bigs. He already has the size (6-4), toughness (star football player in Texas) and arm to find a place on a big league team in 5 years.

Also, I love how absurd high school statistics can be. Brock Huntzinger could be the next Koufax!!

7-0, 43 IP, 0.16 ERA, 88K :lol:

What does that even mean? :D

schillingouttheks
06-07-2007, 11:13 PM
I really wish I knew as much about young guns as you guys seem to...

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 11:14 PM
chances are, though, his arm will be a complementary piece rather than the whole shabang. Sounds like he'll be a 3b instead of a SP.

jacksonianmarch
06-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I really wish I knew as much about young guns as you guys seem to...

it doesnt take much. Look at the stuff, look at the numbers, see what the scouts say and go from there. Its pretty easy to ferrett out the BS when you do your own leg work.

Just like some NESPN idiots who like to change their opinions on a dime, you learn who you should and who you shouldnt trust. Sure, the NESPN morons are good to hammer home a point, but some have been VERY wrong on guys who arent even that much hidden.

Case in point. Keith Law is a moron. I have used him to add to my points and discredited him when he doesnt. I know, bad moves, but still. He has said many times that a guy like Alan Horne (Yankee AA pitcher) has a future as nothing more than a #5 or a mopup man because he tops out at 90mph and has no movement. Then, 2 weeks later, he says Horne has a future as a back end of the rotation pitcher and tops out at 92 with his 4 seamer and has a mid 80s 2 seamer. Fact is, you go through scout.com (Yankee section only) and every now and then, through BA, and you will get the actual scoop. BUT, the best is if you go see them for yourself. I've seen Horne in Trenton this yr. He tops out at 96 and sits at 92-94 with his 4 seamer and tops out at 92 with the 2 seamer (sat right behind a scout with a juggs gun too to confirm the scoreboard readings when I wasnt too busy filling my face with hot dogs and nachos).

So overall, it doesnt take a lot. Just simple paying attention and interest can get you all you need. And none of us are experts. I dont think anyone can actually call themselves that because an expert wouldnt be wrong 3/4 of the time, like so many of these so called experts are.

riverside sluggers
06-08-2007, 05:45 AM
Baseball drafts arent like football, its not that rare for teams to draft first picks with players already set in at those positions in the majors. We're still talking about a kid whos just 18, with the Sox system he probably wont sniff the majors for another 4 years or so. A lot can happen from now until then. Sox still win if Pedroia and Ellsbury are showing no signs of budging at that time, that way if Dent is a a top prospect they can deal him off in a lucrative trade.

They even got Hunter Morris who's best position is 1st base, while Aaron Bates and Lars Anderson are both in Single A

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Baseball drafts isnt like football, its not that rare for teams to draft first picks with players already set in at those positions in the majors. We're still talking about a kid whos just 18, with the Sox system he probably wont sniff the majors for another 4 years or so. A lot can happen from now until then. Sox still win if Pedroia and Ellsbury are showing no signs of budging at that time, that way if Dent is a a top prospect they can deal him off in a lucrative trade.

They even got Hunter Morris who's best position is 1st base, while Aaron Bates and Lars Anderson are both in Single A

I think the Morris pick is solid because if a guy can hit for power, they'll find a spot. I just think it is a huge risk when you draft a kid out of HS who really shows no power projection and is solely a speed demon.

Those are the type of kids you shy away from out of HS and then take them if they show they can handle it in college.

ORS
06-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Where are you getting a "no power" projection? From the report you listed and the one at BA, Dent has pop in his stroke, it's just not his best tool. That would be alarming if he were profiled as a corner player, but he's not. He's projected as a leadoff type hitter who will play somewhere up the middle with plus speed. Add pop to that type of player (at 18), and it's nowhere near as bad as you are trying to portray it.

Also, you should know as well as anyone that you don't draft on need in the MLB draft. You take the best player available that you think you can sign. Most of these guys don't make it, so redundancy is needed, and if redundancy works out to where you have a performer on the big club and a hot prospect just below him, then you have real value in the trade market.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Where are you getting a "no power" projection? From the report you listed and the one at BA, Dent has pop in his stroke, it's just not his best tool. That would be alarming if he were profiled as a corner player, but he's not. He's projected as a leadoff type hitter who will play somewhere up the middle with plus speed. Add pop to that type of player (at 18), and it's nowhere near as bad as you are trying to portray it.

Also, you should know as well as anyone that you don't draft on need in the MLB draft. You take the best player available that you think you can sign. Most of these guys don't make it, so redundancy is needed, and if redundancy works out to where you have a performer on the big club and a hot prospect just below him, then you have real value in the trade market.

I completely agree that you go by best available. Maybe it is just a pet peeve of mine, but I really dont like drafting kids out of HS when their biggest aspect is speed. Call it CJ Henry syndrome.
Those types of players are better served to play in college and see if they can translate that speed and potential into consistent hitting.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Sox 6th round pick- Anthony Rizzo- 1b- out of HS

All I know is that he is an early commit to FAU.

ORS
06-08-2007, 10:40 AM
204. Anthony Rizzo, 6-3 220, L/L 1B, M Stoneman Douglas HS Florida

Sun Sentinel (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/sfl-spaclbase30_playermay30,0,840922.story?coll=sfla-highschool-headlines)
234. David Mailman, 6-2 180, L/L 1B, Providence Sr HS North Carloina - Obvious fun with the name if he makes it

Impact Baseball (http://impactbaseball.com/news_detail.asp?NewsID=284)
264. Adam Mills, R/R RHP, 6-0 190, UNC-Charlotte (senior)

Baseball Analysts (http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2007/06/2007_draft_spot_2.php)
294. Kade Keowen, R/R CF, 6-5 215, LSU-Eunice (J3)

All Things Valley League (http://allthingsvalleyleague.typepad.com/all_things_valley_league/2007/05/baseball_americ_4.html)
324. Kenneth Roque, L/R SS, 5-11 162, PR Baseball Academy

I got nothing
354. Thomas Pressly, R/R RHP, 6-3 175, Marcus HS, Texas

News is getting hard to find, and I need to get back to work, others please pick up if you like.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 10:53 AM
234. David Mailman, 6-2 180 L/L 1B, Providence Sr. HS.

Watched the scouting video. He looked like he was being tried out in the OF. I like his release and he has the makings of a pretty accurate and strong arm. Could be an OFer in the sox system. His swing has no drift, which is very good, but he doesnt stay tall throughout the swing and breaks down at the end. His weight comes forward rather awkwardly during the actual swing and he dives over the plate. Interesting pick. As with the yankee pick, this kid is quite raw. As should be expected btw out of a HS kid.

Beckett95
06-08-2007, 11:05 AM
sick name

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 11:08 AM
264. Adam Mills RHP UNC Charlotte 6'0" 190lbs

no video, no idea. Will get back to this.

14-2 1.01ERA 141K in 142IP 27BB .188BAA wow.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 11:15 AM
294. Kade Koewen 6'5" 215 LSU@Eunice R/R CF

No video, but at 6'5, I can imagine that this kid has some serious power projection.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 11:21 AM
ORS, you got anything on these guys?

ORS
06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
ORS, you got anything on these guys?
I keep editting my post above. Keowen sounds like a potential diamond in the rough from the link.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
I see. Are you just googling?

ORS
06-08-2007, 11:29 AM
I see. Are you just googling?
Pretty much. I'm not dishing out the $300+ Prospects Plus wants while my BA subscription is still good. I might do it next year.

ORS
06-08-2007, 11:32 AM
264. Adam Mills RHP UNC Charlotte 6'0" 190lbs

no video, no idea. Will get back to this.

14-2 1.01ERA 141K in 142IP 27BB .188BAA wow.
A-10 competition, so, you know, grain of salt and all.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Pretty much. I'm not dishing out the $300+ Prospects Plus wants while my BA subscription is still good. I might do it next year.

Keowen looks like a find for you guys btw. You cannot pass up on a kid with that kind of projection.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 11:36 AM
A-10 competition, so, you know, grain of salt and all.

still DI baseball at a pretty high level. That is filthy. I;d like to know what his stuff is though. Sometimes, fringe guys can get away with being much smarter in college, then go to the pros and find out that the hitters are just as smart as they are.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Hmmm. Mills sits high 80s apparently with control of only 2 pitches, according to your link.

ORS
06-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Hmmm. Mills sits high 80s apparently with control of only 2 pitches, according to your link.
Yeah, from the sound of the interview he's not threatening any panes of glass, but it does sound like he comes with immediate polish. If he makes it, he wouldn't be the first.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Watch the video of this Portice Kid

12th round pick- Eammon Portice, High point U. RHP

Kid has a Kevin Brown whirlybird motion and can sit low 90s. Interesting.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 11:54 AM
13th round pick: Justin Grimm

Position: Starting Pitcher
School: Virginia High School, Bristol, Va.
Birthdate: 08/06/88
Weight: 175 lbs.
Report Date(s): 04/21/07
Game(s): Marion HS
Scouting Video:

Focus Area Comments
Fastball: Grimm has a big arm and can throw his fastball in the 89-93 mph range.
Fastball movement: He has fringy average life on his fastball.
Curve: Grimm's curve spins in at 73-77 mph. It's slightly below-average right now but projects to be an average pitch.
Changeup: Grimm throws a changeup at 81-83 mph and it, too, projects to be an average offering.
Control: Grimm's command projects to be average in the future.
Poise: He's got average pitchability and above-average mound presence.
Physical Description: Grimm is a projectable right-hander with a Ken Hill-body type.
Medical Update: Grimm missed his junior season with a broken arm, and he had a pin inserted near his elbow. It has since been removed and he has appeared healthy this year.
Strengths: Big arm with chance to have above-average fastball. He also has the chance to have two average secondary pitches.
Weaknesses: There might be some concern over the arm injury, and he's not a very advanced pitcher at this point.
Summary: Grimm has jumped on the map by maintaining a low-90s fastball for much of his senior season, particularly surprising after he missed his junior year with a broken arm. His other pitches are behind the heater, but have a chance to be Major League average. With his size, frame and fastball, he fits the mold of an interesting projectable high school right-hander with the potential to be a No. 4 starter in the future.

ORS
06-08-2007, 12:00 PM
I think we are going to see the over-slot grabs in the next few rounds now. Grimm looks like the first.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Kentrail Davis fell that low? He was expect to go in the top 5 rounds. Wow.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 12:02 PM
No Cole St. Clair and no Chris Carpenter yet.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Grimm was a solid pick BTW.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 12:05 PM
This Cowan kid's video was impressive. Sits at 89-90, but has a loopy curve, a sharp slider and a shitty change. Nice arsenal for a HS kid.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Tanner Robles fell THAT low? Holy shit.

ORS
06-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Austin Bailey might be another over-slot guy.

ORS
06-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Interesting project coming in with the #804.

Deshaun Brooks, a 6-4 240 monster from the US Virgin Islands, was drafted out of Benedict College. That's his list weight, but he's down to 230 now, and is still losing weight after ballooning up to 260 when he dislocated a knee in JuCo. He lead NCAA DII with 18 homers and 80 RBI as a 3B. I don't know how well he plays it, or what position the scouts project him at, so take that with a grain of salt.

BlackAthlete.net (http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_02871.shtml)

CrespoBlows
06-08-2007, 02:36 PM
BlackAthlete.com (http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_02871.shtml)

:lol:

ORS
06-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Hey, it's the "Soul of Sports".

Nice over-slot pick at #834. Grandal. Open the wallet and sign that fucker.

CrespoBlows
06-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Hey, it's the "Soul of Sports".

Nice over-slot pick at #834. Grandal. Open the wallet and sign that fucker.

Scouting report?

ORS
06-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Hitting Ability: There is a question to how much he'll hit at the next level. He guesses a lot and gives away the outer half of the plate. Right now, he's got a non-professional swing. He hit only left-handed in this game, though he took swings right-handed during batting practice.
Power: Grandal does have some power potential, moreso from the left side of the plate, though his swing is longer from that side. His stroke from the right side is quicker, but doesn't produce as much power.
Running Speed: He's a catcher and running isn't a part of his game.
Arm Strength: Graded on pure strength, Grandal wouldn't get a plus mark. But he's got a good arm and a very quick release, making the entire "arm strength" package a plus.
Arm Accuracy: Grandal is extremely accurate with his throws. That, combined with his quick release, make him very difficult to run on.
Fielding: Grandal has excellent catching skills. He has good hands and centers the ball well.
Range: He has very quick feet and moves very well behind the plate.
Physical Description: Grandal is a strong, athletic backstop.
Strengths: A tremendous defensive package. He's a leader behind the plate, moves his feet well, has good hands, throws well. You name it, he can do it behind the plate.
Weaknesses: His bat is behind his glove. If he can make adjustments, there is some potential there, but there are definite holes in his swing.
Summary: Grandal is one of the, if not the, best defensive catcher in the draft class. He does everything well behind the plate, from throwing to handling pitchers. Unfortunately, his bat is behind his glove. The switch-hitter has some skills, but also has some holes. How much teams think they can fix that could help determine Grandal's ultimate draft status.

Maybe I overstated it due to his need for work with the bat.

ORS
06-08-2007, 02:47 PM
BA

42. Yasmani Grandal, c
School: Miami Springs (Fla.) HS. Class: Sr.
B-T: B-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 205. Birthdate: 11/8/88.
Scouting Report: Grandal was born in Cuba and moved to Miami when he was 11, and he started catching when he was 13 at the encouragement of his stepfather. He emerged as the country's top prep catching prospect last summer when he played in the Aflac Classic and committed to Miami. He has since been surpassed by Devin Mesaraco for top high school catching honors, and his all-around game is solid but not exceptional. He has soft hands and receives fine, and he has an above-average arm that produces quick throws with carry and accuracy. His ability to make contact from both sides of the plate enhances his value, but his bat speed is fringe-average. He makes sharper contact and drives the ball much more consistently from the left side. Grandal has good makeup and instincts, and should be taken no later than the second round.

ORS
06-08-2007, 02:58 PM
They've got some signability picks there to make some hay with.

From the 11th round on, they picked Grimm, Bailey, Presley, Grandal, and Tepesch, who all projected to go much higher based on talent. Be interesting to see who gets signed and who goes on to school.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Grandal is a solid pick for a team that really has a dearth of catching talent.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 03:39 PM
If both teams can sign their picks, we may be 1 and 2 again in the draft, even though none of our teams picked before the 30th pick.

CrespoBlows
06-08-2007, 06:58 PM
If both teams can sign their picks, we may be 1 and 2 again in the draft, even though none of our teams picked before the 30th pick.

How many of these guys are in the top 200?

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 07:06 PM
How many of these guys are in the top 200?

not sure, give me a minute. I have to use a member from another board to get access to BA.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 07:13 PM
BA

42. Yasmani Grandal, c
School: Miami Springs (Fla.) HS. Class: Sr.
B-T: B-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 205. Birthdate: 11/8/88.
Scouting Report: Grandal was born in Cuba and moved to Miami when he was 11, and he started catching when he was 13 at the encouragement of his stepfather. He emerged as the country's top prep catching prospect last summer when he played in the Aflac Classic and committed to Miami. He has since been surpassed by Devin Mesaraco for top high school catching honors, and his all-around game is solid but not exceptional. He has soft hands and receives fine, and he has an above-average arm that produces quick throws with carry and accuracy. His ability to make contact from both sides of the plate enhances his value, but his bat speed is fringe-average. He makes sharper contact and drives the ball much more consistently from the left side. Grandal has good makeup and instincts, and should be taken no later than the second round.

You have a prep kid who is THAT advanced defensively, you must make it work. He's 18, if you get the negotiations over with early, he'd essentially have 6 yrs to hone his hitting skills. And even if he never hits, a solid defensive catcher always has a chance as a backup. Sounds like a mediocre ceiling offensively, but his overall ceiling is well within reach. He's a safe prospect who you got in the late rounds. He'll be in your system for a very long time if signed.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 07:15 PM
sox have 13 of the top 200.

CrespoBlows
06-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Good stuff, thanks.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Keith Law loves your first pick and the Middlebrooks pick. Granted, it is Keith Law, but he has a point. I thought the Middlebrooks pick was a great one, provided the sox sign him.

example1
06-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I love the impact baseball article about The Mailman (love the nickname too!)

"One of the things I love about The Mailman is when he steps up to the plate, it strikes fear in opposing coaches and players. The guy is unbelievable. You just think something good is going to happen every time he steps up to the plate. He is a huge offensive threat to opposing teams."

Not a neutral assessment by any stretch. This guy sounds dangerous.

riverside sluggers
06-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I am happy about this draft, pending on who they are able to sign. Theyve got themselves a group of mostly project players. If done right, well then hooray for the Sox! Middlebrooks was a great pickup, I mean you have a guy that could be a great hitter or a pitcher with potential and can throw in the mid to high 90s!

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 08:00 PM
he throws in the low 90s right now. With potential he could, but adding 4-5 mph isnt something that typically happens to everyone.

BTW, it really sounds like this kid is more of a thrower on the mound. His bat is what will bring home the paychecks IMO. He'll be a good 3b in your system.

riverside sluggers
06-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Mustve been thinking about different scouting report on someone else. But his fastball sits in the low 90s, topping out at 94/95. Agreed his swing is one to take awe in. But hey maybe someday in the majors and his team is in a blowout (or extra innings), at least they know who to turn to if no one is left to pitch ;)

ORS
06-08-2007, 08:36 PM
I think Keowen is going to be interesting to follow.

jacksonianmarch
06-08-2007, 09:09 PM
I think Keowen is going to be interesting to follow.

I agree. His size is a great asset. If the sox org can make his swing more compact, you could be looking at an Adam Dunn kind of player.

Beckett95
06-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Anyone know what the Sox plan on doing with Middlebrooks? If they sign him, are they going to use him at 3B or do they want him as a pitcher?

jacksonianmarch
06-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Anyone know what the Sox plan on doing with Middlebrooks? If they sign him, are they going to use him at 3B or do they want him as a pitcher?

BA loves his offensive possibilities. I think the sox should explore those.

Cityofchampions33
06-10-2007, 05:00 PM
BA loves his offensive possibilities. I think the sox should explore those.

Do you know which way they are leaning, or which he is better at? Is it possilbe to start him as a 3b, and if he doesn't succeed use him as a pitcher? kind of like Edgar Martinez?

jacksonianmarch
06-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Do you know which way they are leaning, or which he is better at? Is it possilbe to start him as a 3b, and if he doesn't succeed use him as a pitcher? kind of like Edgar Martinez?

The report is that he has a low to mid 90s heater, but that he is not polished at all as a pitcher. It sounds like he would be a major project pitching wise. More of a thrower right now. He is much more advanced as a hitter. And his projection as a hitter (all-star type talent) is much higher than his pitching projection, which is very hard to see right now because he really has nothing other than the heat as a pitcher. I would think the sox would stick with him as an offensive player.

riverside sluggers
06-14-2007, 05:42 AM
soxprospects.com

Sox sign six draftees

According to various media sources, the Red Sox have signed C Daniel Milano (rd. 20, #624), SS Aaron Reza (rd. 21, #654), LHP William Lattimer (rd. 22, #684) 3B Deshaun Brooks (rd. 26. #804) and C Peter Gilardo (rd. 45, #1340). Additionally, The Flower Mound Leader is reporting that 11th round pick (#354 overall) RHP Ryan Pressly is expected to sign on Thursday.

jacksonianmarch
06-14-2007, 10:38 AM
that is Thomas Pressly. Bagging a big framed HS kid is pretty nice I'd say.

phillysoxfan115
06-14-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm very confused, can someone clear up the Pressley situation. I know they drafted a pitcher named Pressley in the 11th round and an outfielder named Presley in the 24th round. Any info to help me decipher between the two would be great. I know the outfielder was considered the best prospect in Colorado and his name is Matt, but this Ryan vs. Thomas business is very confusing. Thanks for any possible info.

riverside sluggers
06-15-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm very confused, can someone clear up the Pressley situation. I know they drafted a pitcher named Pressley in the 11th round and an outfielder named Presley in the 24th round. Any info to help me decipher between the two would be great. I know the outfielder was considered the best prospect in Colorado and his name is Matt, but this Ryan vs. Thomas business is very confusing. Thanks for any possible info.

Here's Ryan Pressly's profile on soxprospects.com

EDIT: source, soxprospects.com

Sox sign Buller

The Fresno Bee is reporting that the Red Sox have signed draftee LHP Daniel Buller (rd. 31, #954). The website of the Lowell Spinners (SS) is listing RHP Adam Mills, RHP Chris Province, RHP Eammon Portice, OF David Marks and OF Kade Keowen as on their 2007 roster (as of June 14), indicating that they have signed.

riverside sluggers
08-15-2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/08/draft_signings.html

The Sox have finally come to terms with shortstop Ryan Dent, but 3rd round pick Hunter Morris will not be signing with the Red Sox

Rdsxmbnt
08-15-2007, 03:54 PM
It appears they will sign Middlebrooks which would be awesome, stay tuned.

scaffolds
08-15-2007, 06:43 PM
The Red Sox have released that they have signed their 6th round pick first baseman Anthony Rizzo. Rizzo who just turned 18 yrs a week ago is 6-3 220 L/L is a power hitting first baseman. After having watched Lars Anderson play in different tournaments last year and having follow Rizzo for the last three years honestly can say that Rizzo is as good as a hitter coming out of H.S. as Anderson was and is a better fielder, with better mobility. Rizzo should be among the top 30 Red Sox prospects this off season. I believe that Rizzo's bonus was for$ 325 000.

There are a lot or rumors going on about which draft pick the Red Sox may sign before tonight midnight, but one who isn't a rumor is after talking with Yasmany Grandal a couple of days ago its very unlikely that he will sign.

Rdsxmbnt
08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
And 1B David Mailman, a 7th round pick has been signed for $550,000.

And all reports indicate Middlebrooks will sign, stay tuned.

scaffolds
08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
According to unofficial reports Will Middlebrook and David Mailman have signed with the Red Sox. Middlebrook is a 6-2 215 SS/3b/RHP from Texas H.S. and the Sox fifth round pick, Mailman is a 6-2 180 L/L from North Carolina and the Sox's seventh round pick.

Rdsxmbnt
08-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Middlebrooks has indeed signed, no word on amount yet

AZBlue
08-15-2007, 11:07 PM
The Red Sox have released that they have signed their 6th round pick first baseman Anthony Rizzo. Rizzo who just turned 18 yrs a week ago is 6-3 220 L/L is a power hitting first baseman. After having watched Lars Anderson play in different tournaments last year and having follow Rizzo for the last three years honestly can say that Rizzo is as good as a hitter coming out of H.S. as Anderson was and is a better fielder, with better mobility. Rizzo should be among the top 30 Red Sox prospects this off season. I believe that Rizzo's bonus was for$ 325 000.

If he is as good a prospect as Lars Anderson, he is a heck of a good player. Thanks for this evaluation, Scaf.

Rdsxmbnt
08-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Middlebrooks/Britton/Bailey have all reportedly signed now also

riverside sluggers
08-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Cant wait to see these kids in action

ORS
08-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Mailman needs to pan out just for the fun we can have with his name.

scaffolds
08-16-2007, 08:16 AM
AZBlue you welcome, In my opinion the difference between Anderson and Rizzo is that Anderson is more mature and a year older at the same stage, that's why he went directly to Greenville, on the other hand Rizzo more than likely will start in the GCL in 2008. In addition Anderson has been hyped by BA and Jim Callis, don't get me wrong I am not saying that Anderson isn't a very good prospect, because he is, but that Rizzo is too.

scaffolds
08-16-2007, 08:36 AM
The Red Sox signed Austin Bailey, Jaren Mattews and John "Brake" Britton. Bailey is a RHP and the Sox 16th round pick from Alabama 6-0 190 a physically mature former third baseman who hasn't been pitching for very long, but has a fastball at 92-93 that he can maintain deep into games. Perhaps he is the top pitching prospect signed out of this draft.

Mattews is a 6-1 180 L/L 1B/OF out of New Jersey and the Sox 17th round draft pick, like with Mailman he projects as an outfielder, but its a better athlete, however his bat isn't as polish as Mailman.

Britton is a 6-2 200 LHP out of Texas and the Sox 23th round draft pick. Britton's fastball is about 88-90, but was inconsistent in 2007 and even dipped into the mid 80's, his best pitch is a mid 70's C/B.

scaffolds
08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
In general the Red Sox did a good job (not great) in signing the draft picks, however its dissapointing to only been able to sign 1 (Middlebrook) out of the top 3 prospects that they drafted. Nick Tepesch was without a doubt the top pitcher that the Sox drafted and Yosmany Grandal may had been the top catching prospect on the draft. I understand that both players had a very high price tag on them, but when the Sox spend $ 700,000 to sing Brake Britton (which by the way i am lukewarm on him) they could had spend a bit more and had signed Tespech or Grandal. Like i said before they did a good job in signing the draft picks and when you add International signs like Michael Almanzar and Che-Hsuang lin they had done a very good job of adding talent to the system this Summer.

scaffolds
08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
A few more notes about the Sox signing of 2007 draft picks. Scouts who have scouted David Mailman compare him to Sox prospect Josh Reddick, both of them with a very smooth lefthanded swing and power projected, in Reddick's case he is showing his power in the South Atlantic league.

According to reports both Michael Almanzar and Will Middlebrook will come to Spring training in 2008 and to Extended Spring training as a short stop, a decision of whom will move to Tthird base will be done sometimes in Extended. In Ryan Dent's case he could open Spring training as a short stop, but a decision to second base should be soon after.

The Sox decision in signing hitters from the 2007 draft its based that the 2008 draft will be heavy pitching oriented and has a shortage of hitters (at least for now)

There was some talk before last night dead line about the Sox signing their 15th round pick Scott Green and according to some reports he was in Boston taking a physical on Tuesday. Green who is about 6-7 240 and has a fast ball in the range 92-93 and had a good season in the Cape over priced himself and there was talk that he wantedat least a million to sign. I believe that the Sox made the right decision of letting him to return to kentucky university where he has been inconsistent and there's health questions about him.

The list of Red Sox prospect won't come out for about a month, but this a preview of how the 2007 drafted and signed prospects may look like.

Will Middlebrook SS/3B ( top 12 prospect)
Nick Hagadone LHP (top 20 prospect)
Anthony Rizzo 1B (top 30 prospect)
Ryan Dent 2B (top 35 prospect)
David Mailman OF (top 45 prospect)
Austin Bailey RHP (top 50- 60 prospect)
Jaren Mattews OF (top 60 prospect)
Brake Britton LHP (top 75 prospect)

AZBlue
08-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Scaf, thanks very much for this inside information which is not available anywhere else. You are a great asset for this board.

scaffolds
08-16-2007, 06:13 PM
AZBlue, you welcome, my pleasure.

KeepTheFaith1229
08-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Mailman needs to pan out just for the fun we can have with his name.

"...and the Mailman delivers again!"

Rdsxmbnt
08-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Scaff I know those were just rough projections but you can't be serious with some of those rankings, Britton just making the top 75??

ORS
08-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Scaf, thanks very much for this inside information which is not available anywhere else. You are a great asset for this board.
Seconded.

I may inquire about basis for evaluations, but I really do appreciate Scaff's contributions.

scaffolds
08-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Seconded.

I may inquire about basis for evaluations, but I really do appreciate Scaff's contributions.

Thank You.

The player ranking list is based on tools, projection, ceiling and production Isn't based on the level where the player may be playingat the time.

scaffolds
08-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Scaff I know those were just rough projections but you can't be serious with some of those rankings, Britton just making the top 75??

I am not sure that i understood your question/remark, what I said its That Britton will be among the top 75 prospect Red Sox prospect in my list when it come out in a few weeks. i saw Britton pitch on different occasion in the 2006 Summer and wasn't impressed by his stuff.

jacksonianmarch
08-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I am going on my third trip to the moon and will bring home some aliens to cook for dinner. Also, my junk weighs 92 pounds and glows in the dark.

yeszir
08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Also, my junk weighs 92 pounds and glows in the dark.

Probably from fucking all the aliens.

example1
08-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I thought this was a discussion about the Sox 2007 Draft?