PDA

View Full Version : what will happen to A-rod???

zackredsox
06-28-2007, 10:10 PM
By the begining of next season will A-rod be a Yankee???

Coco's Disciples
06-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Yes.

schillingouttheks
06-29-2007, 08:01 AM
No.

lasorda's speed dial
06-29-2007, 10:41 AM
He'll sign with the bums.

MarkTaylor
06-29-2007, 12:52 PM
no, why would he? he's on an aging team that isn't getting any better

ARod2212
06-29-2007, 10:39 PM
He's not going anywhere. He'll get a shit ton of money though.

Thumper
06-29-2007, 10:53 PM
He's not going anywhere. He'll get a shit ton of money though.

*In best Family Feud Announcer Voice*
SHOW ME MONEY!

[$$$]

Correct!

A-Rod isn't going anywhere. The Skankee payroll is too good to leave. That's all it is these days, money.

Sox fan in Tex
06-29-2007, 10:55 PM
He has SEVENTY-NINE RBI's and we are still something like 10 days away from the All-Star break. Surely the Yankees wouldn't let A-Rod go.

Mr Crunchy
06-29-2007, 11:29 PM
maybe 5 teams can afford him legit
2 in la 1 in chicago and 2 in the al east maybe even the mets if you will
what is he looking for?
quiet stardom with big city promos and no pressure?
west coast
adoration and a mighty challenge?
chitown
staying in the fire or crossing town or moving north??
in any case the heat will be on him like never before if he moves
if he stays he gets the luxury of being accountable for gary sheffield playing in detroit and a pitching staff that would struggle in pawtucket
a no win unless he wins it all situation
hes got 200+m in the bank getting juice up the ass
no alimony as of yet either so the cash is nothing but an ego thing at this stage
30m??
sure
but maybe he take 22 and go to the cubs for 10 years??
who knows whats on his mind,we need to consult his image people

BSN07
06-30-2007, 07:46 AM
I was reading an article either at foxsports.comor espn.com. Saying after the series in SF, theres a god chance he signs there. Just thought id throw that out there.

But in an answer to the thread, I say no, hes somewhere else next season. Signing for more moeny with the Yanks will only induce more pressure and critizm. And he doesn't want that.

zackredsox
07-05-2007, 04:05 PM
He has SEVENTY-NINE RBI's and we are still something like 10 days away from the All-Star break. Surely the Yankees wouldn't let A-Rod go.

i think the yankees like him but im not sure a-rod likes the yankees

a700hitter
07-05-2007, 07:24 PM
I think the Yankees have a huge economic advantage with the $30 million subsidy from Texas. The Yankees would be fools not to offer him a huge extension not to lose that subsidy. If he opts out, the Yankees will lose the subsidy and will not re-sign him.

TheKilo
07-05-2007, 08:15 PM
I think the Yankees have a huge economic advantage with the $30 million subsidy from Texas. The Yankees would be fools not to offer him a huge extension not to lose that subsidy. If he opts out, the Yankees will lose the subsidy and will not re-sign him.

If he opts out he'll get more money from whoever signs him.

schillingouttheks
07-05-2007, 08:18 PM
A-Rod will opt out no matter what IMO. I'm pretty sure he can re-sign with the Yankees if he wanted to, but you KNOW that his salary this year is the minimum salary he'll get. By opting out he ensures himself at least the same salary...and in all likelihood, even more.

a700hitter
07-05-2007, 08:20 PM
If he opts out he'll get more money from whoever signs him.How can you say that. The Yankees have more money than anyone plus they'll be playing with $30 million from the Rangers. if ARod stays with the Yanks, he'll get $25 million for the next 3 years and the Yankees can extend him for 4 years for $100 Million. ARod would be getting $175 million over the next 7 years and the Yankees would be paying only $145 million or less than $21 million/year.

example1
07-05-2007, 09:09 PM
How can you say that. The Yankees have more money than anyone plus they'll be playing with $30 million from the Rangers. if ARod stays with the Yanks, he'll get $25 million for the next 3 years and the Yankees can extend him for 4 years for $100 Million. ARod would be getting $175 million over the next 7 years and the Yankees would be paying only $145 million or less than $21 million/year.

He could get 50 HR, 140 RBI SHORTSTOP money.

He could also get the hell out of NY. It hasn't been a good fit from the beginning.

a700hitter
07-05-2007, 09:12 PM
He could get 50 HR, 140 RBI SHORTSTOP money. How much more would that be than $25 million/year for 7 years?
He could also get the hell out of NY. It hasn't been a good fit from the beginning.I agree that he just might want out of NY.

CrespoBlows
07-05-2007, 10:49 PM
No, if he signs a new contract, Texas is freed from their salary obligation.

ORS
07-06-2007, 06:03 AM
No, if he signs a new contract, Texas is freed from their salary obligation.
But it wouldn't be a new contract. It would be an extension of the current contract. Now, I don't know if Texas got some language into the agreement about extending the current contract constitutes a new contract, but short of that knowledge, their money would still be in play.

jacksonianmarch
07-06-2007, 08:50 AM
But it wouldn't be a new contract. It would be an extension of the current contract. Now, I don't know if Texas got some language into the agreement about extending the current contract constitutes a new contract, but short of that knowledge, their money would still be in play.

If the yankees add yrs to the contract, then it should be considered an extension and would have no bearing on the current contract that is in place. If the yankees add value to the next 3 yrs, then they could be in a sticky situation.

iSeenHippos
07-07-2007, 02:33 AM

LOL

Texas is on the hook throughout the remaining years of this contract, $12 mil this year, and I think that same value the following years. They didn't agree to pay $12 mil to the yankees throughout his entire career should he choose to keep playing under the same terms.

There isn't anywhere for him to play on the Mets, and maybe Boston would pay him 8 yrs/$200 mil(or more) he is looking for, but after that who else is willing to pay that? That's where the money the Rangers pay the next three years gets involved. Teams like the Dodgers, Giants, and Angels become interested if Rodriguez is willing to extend the current deal.

ORS
07-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Texas is on the hook throughout the remaining years of this contract, $12 mil this year, and I think that same value the following years. They didn't agree to pay $12 mil to the yankees throughout his entire career should he choose to keep playing under the same terms.
I'm glad you agree, because my response was to someone suggesting an extension would be a new contract and that Texas would no longer have to kick in. That post is just about the remaining Texas money, not extending it into perpetuity should he stay with the Yankees.

Now, as for your reading comprehension, I recommend the Princeton Review prep courses. I hear they are excellent.

iSeenHippos
07-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks, but I already graduated from an excellent university. Thanks for the tip on the Princeton Review though, lol.

"Now, I don't know if Texas got some language into the agreement about extending the current contract constitutes a new contract, but short of that knowledge, their money would still be in play."

Do you have to speak like a Texan when discussing Texas?

CrespoBlows wrote one sentence:

"No, if he signs a new contract, Texas is freed from their salary obligation."

CrespoBlows is correct. A-Rod can void his contract, and sign a new one, which frees Texas from their salary obligation. Extending his current contract will not free Texas from their salary obligations.

Did you go to school, or do you just like to say big words and act smart on the internet? A new contract, and an extension of his current contract are two different things.

ORS
07-07-2007, 04:45 PM
It's pretty clear he's responding to 700's comments about the leverage the Texas money gives the Yankees in negotiating an extension. Thus, we are talking about an extension.

You went to an excellent school? Translation: My parents spent a lot of money on a big name school. Too bad it looks like that jack was wasted.

iSeenHippos
07-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Yes, an extension. Extending the current contract is not a new contract. If you don't understand, it's okay.

I did go to an excellent school. I'm also going to another excellent school next year. Read into it whatever you want. I only brought it up because you mentioned Princeton Review prep courses. I'm guessing you'll need it more than me, but couldn't care less.

ORS
07-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Put two and two together, ye of the grand education. Is anyone questioning whether the Texas money is in play in a new contract? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

No, the only discussion of the Texas contribution was brought up by 700, and Crespo's one-liner looks like a response to that idea to me. So, he's either arbitrarily throwing that out there, or he erred in thinking an extension was a new contract. It's pretty simple to get that is where the discussion went if you read the thread with a critical eye, so my original post is correct in that context.

Of course you just couldn't hold back with our smartass "LOL" and jumped right in without checking for traffic.

Another big name school? I hope it takes better than the first.

CrespoBlows
07-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure, but I heard that if A-Rod opts out of his current deal, that would terminate whatever Texas has to pay to the Yankees. If he doesn't opt out, and picks up his player option, Texas is still on the hook.

From all indications, I hear Rodriguez is going to opt out, and then sign a new contract with the Yankees.

That would free Texas from the deal.

jacksonianmarch
07-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure, but I heard that if A-Rod opts out of his current deal, that would terminate whatever Texas has to pay to the Yankees. If he doesn't opt out, and picks up his player option, Texas is still on the hook.

From all indications, I hear Rodriguez is going to opt out, and then sign a new contract with the Yankees.

that wont happen. If he opts out, the yankees wont pay him dick. If he doesnt opt out but threatens to, the yankees can extend him and keep Texas' pay.

schillingouttheks
07-08-2007, 03:02 PM
The Yankees would be stupid to not attempt to keep him in pinstripes. No matter what he does.

jacksonianmarch
07-08-2007, 03:05 PM
The Yankees would be stupid to not attempt to keep him in pinstripes. No matter what he does.

ARod would be stupid to opt out without checking all avenues with NY. When 46 mil is coming your way via texas, you know the yankees have a leg up on anything you can get on the open market. If he opts out, he isnt returning.

CrespoBlows
07-08-2007, 05:10 PM
that wont happen. If he opts out, the yankees wont pay him dick. If he doesnt opt out but threatens to, the yankees can extend him and keep Texas' pay.

You don't think he's going to test the market?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to negotiate with other teams, don't you have to be a free agent?

a700hitter
07-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to negotiate with other teams, don't you have to be a free agent?If he opts out, the Yankees will not negotiate with him and that would take out one of the few teams that could afford him. I think the Yankees extend him and use the $30 million from Texas to help them do it.

ORS
07-08-2007, 06:29 PM

Absolutely, opting out of this contract removes Texas from the equation. I don't think anyone has questioned that, which is why I took your comment to apply to the extension discussion, because that is the only way Texas' money is involved. Apologies for the assumption, but I didn't think you were arbitrarily throwing that out there.

I think a700 has it right. The Texas money gives them a good amount of leverage and will enable them to go beyond the market in an extension. If it's only about money, he's staying in NY. If anything else is going to impact the decision, he's opting out, IMO.

jacksonianmarch
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to negotiate with other teams, don't you have to be a free agent?

The yankees and Boras will play a game of chicken.

CrespoBlows
07-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Wait.

If Alex Rodriguez signs an extension with the Yankees, say a five year deal, wouldn't that technically be a new contract, which would free Texas from any salary obligation?

I don't know the exact terms of the contract, but I assume it was for only this current deal.(the 10 year $250 million)

The Yankees couldn't just use Texas' money to give A-Rod a new contract. A contract extension is still a new contract.

jacksonianmarch
07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Wait.

If Alex Rodriguez signs an extension with the Yankees, say a five year deal, wouldn't that technically be a new contract, which would free Texas from any salary obligation?

I don't know the exact terms of the contract, but I assume it was for only this current deal.(the 10 year $250 million)

The Yankees couldn't just use Texas' money to give A-Rod a new contract. A contract extension is still a new contract.

an extension would NOT negate what Texas would throw the yankees way since the original contract is still in place for the next 3 yrs.

the point is that 46 mil or so is still being sent from Texas for the next 3 yrs. Lets assume ARod gets extended for 3 seasons, then he would make 27 mil a yr from 08 to 13 yet the 46 mil from Texas would be collected through 2010.

CrespoBlows
07-08-2007, 09:31 PM
an extension would NOT negate what Texas would throw the yankees way since the original contract is still in place for the next 3 yrs.

Is Texas paying a lump sum?

I was under the impression that it was yearly.

jacksonianmarch
07-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Is Texas paying a lump sum?

I was under the impression that it was yearly.

it is yearly. 46 mil over the next 3 seasons.

a700hitter
07-08-2007, 09:35 PM
The yankees and Boras will play a game of chicken.Boras has a very good idea of ARod's value on the open market, and he knows that the Yankees are one of the few teams that can afford him. With $36 million from Texas, the yankees will be able to put together a package that will meet Boras's expectations.

CrespoBlows
07-08-2007, 09:35 PM
it is yearly. 46 mil over the next 3 seasons.

Forgive me, but does Texas owe that money regardless, or just under the terms of the current contract?

I could see where Texas could take issue with Rodriguez signing an extension. They agreed to pay the money in the 10 year deal, but not the six year deal he would sign.

On the other hand, the Yankees could agree with Rodriguez to pick up the options, and then extend him after that. (Which is what I think you're talking about.)

CrespoBlows
07-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Rodriguez may void after 2008 or 2009 unless club increases 2009-10 salary by $5M/year

Rodriguez can get a bump to $32 million in 2008 and 2009.

I guess the deal would be:

2007 - $27 million
2008 - $32 million
2009 - $32 million
2010 - (whatever the extension the Yankees agree on)

He's going back to New York. The only team that's going to give him $32 million annually.

a700hitter
07-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Forgive me, but does Texas owe that money regardless, or just under the terms of the current contract?

I could see where Texas could take issue with Rodriguez signing an extension. They agreed to pay the money in the 10 year deal, but not the six year deal he would sign.

On the other hand, the Yankees could agree with Rodriguez to pick up the options, and then extend him after that. (Which is what I think you're talking about.)There is 3 years at $25 million/year on the current contract. That has to stay intact to get the $36 million from Texas. No teamwould come up with more than $25 million/year on the free market, so ARod has a pretty sweet deal through 2010. The Yankees would agree to a new contract extension beginning in 2011 for another 3 or 4 years at $30 million or so per year. The next 3 years would cost the Yankees only $39 million-- a bargain. The yankees would make up for this bargain by paying top dollar on the extended years.

jacksonianmarch
07-08-2007, 09:42 PM

On the other hand, the Yankees could agree with Rodriguez to pick up the options, and then extend him after that. (Which is what I think you're talking about.)

The only way the yankees get that money is if the contract that is in place stays in place. Texas agreed to pay a certain percentage per yr of the existing contract at the time of the trade. An extension keeps that existing contract in place, it just adds yrs to it. So the yankees can still get the money from texas. Once he opts out and that contract is moot, the money from texas is forfeit. Hence, the yankees have an upper hand on anything anyone can give him, because they already have 46 mil paid by another team. Assuming you consider the fact that you will have to give him a set amount over a large number of yrs. So assume the yankees extend him for 3 yrs at 27 mil per, which is what he will make for the final 3 yrs of the deal in NY. That is 162 mil over the next 6 seasons. 46 of that will be paid by Texas within the first 3 yrs. So looking at it from a "what do we have to pay" scenario, the yankees can get ARod services over the next 6 yrs for 116 mil, which would come out to 19.3 mil per yr average out. Therefore, the yankees can offer the most without actually having to pay the most. Hence, the yanks should be able to give him the best deal.

Now if he hates NY and wants out, he likely wont get that kind of deal nor would he have the yankees bidding since the only way he opts out is if the yankees dont make a pre-emptive strike and essentially pull themselves out of the running. Allowing ARod to opt out and then signing him again is a bad business move and a waste of 46 million dollars.

CrespoBlows
07-08-2007, 09:45 PM
There is 3 years at $25 million/year on the current contract. That has to stay intact to get the $36 million from Texas. No teamwould come up with more than $25 million/year on the free market, so ARod has a pretty sweet deal through 2010. The Yankees would agree to a new contract extension beginning in 2011 for another 3 or 4 years at $30 million or so per year. The next 3 years would cost the Yankees only $39 million-- a bargain. The yankees would make up for this bargain by paying top dollar on the extended years.

waived NTC 2/04, allowing trade to NY with 7 years/$183M remaining
Texas agreed to pay remaining $4M in signing bonus & $67M of remaining $179M in salary
New York agreed to pay $112 of the remaining $179M in salary

Texas is on the hook for about $9.5 million annually.

That would give the Yankees an additional $28.5 they could put toward Rodriguez. I think the Yankees would be paying a little bit more than $39 million, (probably closer to $50) but it's still a huge bargain. (For those three years, at least.)

CrespoBlows
07-08-2007, 09:48 PM
The only way the yankees get that money is if the contract that is in place stays in place. Texas agreed to pay a certain percentage per yr of the existing contract at the time of the trade. An extension keeps that existing contract in place, it just adds yrs to it. So the yankees can still get the money from texas. Once he opts out and that contract is moot, the money from texas is forfeit. Hence, the yankees have an upper hand on anything anyone can give him, because they already have 46 mil paid by another team. Assuming you consider the fact that you will have to give him a set amount over a large number of yrs. So assume the yankees extend him for 3 yrs at 27 mil per, which is what he will make for the final 3 yrs of the deal in NY. That is 162 mil over the next 6 seasons. 46 of that will be paid by Texas within the first 3 yrs. So looking at it from a "what do we have to pay" scenario, the yankees can get ARod services over the next 6 yrs for 116 mil, which would come out to 19.3 mil per yr average out. Therefore, the yankees can offer the most without actually having to pay the most. Hence, the yanks should be able to give him the best deal.

Now if he hates NY and wants out, he likely wont get that kind of deal nor would he have the yankees bidding since the only way he opts out is if the yankees dont make a pre-emptive strike and essentially pull themselves out of the running. Allowing ARod to opt out and then signing him again is a bad business move and a waste of 46 million dollars.

Thanks.

I didn't know that Rodriguez salary was due to get bumped over the next three years anyway. I don't see any team coming even remotely close to matching the Yankees offer.

jacksonianmarch
07-08-2007, 09:51 PM
once you take the NESPN spin out of the equation, it is petty easy to see where the money trail lies. The only way he leaves NY is if he wants no part of being a yankee for any kind of money.

a700hitter
07-08-2007, 10:01 PM
once you take the NESPN spin out of the equation, it is petty easy to see where the money trail lies. The only way he leaves NY is if he wants no part of being a yankee for any kind of money.Agreed. There is no other possible conclusion.

iSeenHippos
07-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Why not San Francisco? They're going to need someone to sell tickets next year with no HR record to chase, all-star game, or Zito signing. I could see them as an outside choice to get aRod if they decide to part ways with Bonds.