PDA

View Full Version : International signing day: Yankees land DeLeon

jacksonianmarch
07-02-2007, 06:26 AM
http://yankees.scout.com/2/655923.html

The Yankees signed the prize of the 2007 international signing period once again in Kelvin DeLeon. DeLeon is an outfielder with plus plus power very similar to Montero's one yr ago.

The Yankees also signed Eduardo Sosa who has been compared to Johnny Damon but with a much better arm.

Other signings include
3B- Elio De la Rosa
OF- Henry Pena
RHP- Arodis Vizcaino
OF- Edwin Beard
RHP- Maicar Sousa
C- Jorge Liccien
C- Josue Rodriguez

Other signings are expected soon as some of the best arms are still unsigned.

lasorda's speed dial
07-02-2007, 11:28 AM
This message cannot be seen because the Yankees are done.
What?

schillingouttheks
07-02-2007, 12:15 PM
He won't take offense to it. He'll be the first person to tell you that the Yankees are toast.

Anyway, jacko, it seems like the Yankees land every prize of every signing period. What's up? Are you just being insanely optimistic or...?

lasorda's speed dial
07-02-2007, 12:52 PM
It's amazing to me that with so many pieces, offensively at least, they'd go into the season with such a weak pitching staff.

KeepTheFaith1229
07-02-2007, 01:11 PM
It's amazing to me that with so many pieces, offensively at least, they'd go into the season with such a weak pitching staff.

is anyone talking about the 2007 Yankees season here?

riverside sluggers
07-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Anyway, jacko, it seems like the Yankees land every prize of every signing period. What's up? Are you just being insanely optimistic or...?

Didnt the Sox sign 2 16 year olds from the Dominican last year with tremendous upside? Angel Beltre and Moises Tejeda. I didnt realize the yankees bested them last year

Rdsxmbnt
07-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Didnt the Sox sign 2 16 year olds from the Dominican last year with tremendous upside? Angel Beltre and Moises Tejeda. I didnt realize the yankees bested them last year

The Yankees signed Montero last year who was widely regarded as the best of international draft class. Tejeda and Beltre were both top 5 international draft class talents last year (both playing for the GCL Sox this year.) This year I haven't seen any lists but I'd put SP Julio Tehran at the top.

jacksonianmarch
07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Teheran is considered the best pitcher and may be on his way to ATL. DeLeon is the biggest power projection guy in the draft. Two yrs in a row, the yankees have nabbed the big power hitter.

BSN07
07-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Teheran is considered the best pitcher and may be on his way to ATL. DeLeon is the biggest power projection guy in the draft. Two yrs in a row, the yankees have nabbed the big power hitter.

Ya and I'm sure when they got WMP, he was the biggest Power guy, looked how they F'd that up.

jacksonianmarch
07-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Ya and I'm sure when they got WMP, he was the biggest Power guy, looked how they F'd that up.

well, that was actually a good move if you think about it. 80-90% of these DSL signees flame out before they ever reach the majors. WMP has had 2 20 homer seasons, so he isnt a total bust. The contract is the only thing that sucked in that negotiation.

jacksonianmarch
07-03-2007, 08:45 AM
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=574174&s=bei&type=story

Apparently this Arodys Vizcaino kid we signed throws 94 miles an hour as a 16 yr old. I could only assume he has no command, but that kind of velocity doesnt grow on trees.

scaffolds
07-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Jackson that isn't a correct statement, The prospect with the highest power projection is Michael Almanzar.

NateGrey
07-03-2007, 11:57 AM

.. Stop lying dude .. lol ..

.. Anyways ..

.. Braves signed Julio Tehran ..

> http://braves.scout.com/2/656167.html

castigs850
07-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Jackson that isn't a correct statement, The prospect with the highest power projection is Michael Almanzar.

michael almanzar... the one you just reported signed for the redsox in the other INTL signings thread?

jacksonianmarch
07-04-2007, 05:22 AM

depends on who you ask. But I can defer to your knowledge base on this one. Just wanted to dispute the comparison to Melky seeing as Melky was never considered a power potential guy and this kid has power projection written all over him.

jacksonianmarch
07-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Apparently, we also signed Jose Mojica, a shortstop who BA seemed high on, but did state that he was having "age issues". He is said to be 18, not 16.

jacksonianmarch
07-05-2007, 10:25 AM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=303&p=2&c=656591

Carlos Rios loves this class saying that this one is the deepest class of INTL FA's he has seen in a long time. And that is saying something after the splashes we made the past 2 yrs in the INTL FA signing period.

Here is a rundown...

Kelvin De Leon- LF/RF- 5 tool player, huge power projection, runs well, but not well enough to man CF. NOT Melky-like in the least. Biggest ticket signing

Eduardo Sosa- CF-Johnny Damon type with an average to above average arm. A hittability guy with big speed (6.6 60yd dash). Not much power.

Jose Mojica- SS- above average hands, arm, speed. Solid hittability, power projection. Second most exciting player in the class according to Rios.

Arodis Vizcaino- RHP- likes him better than Jairo Heredia, the yankees biggest pitcher signing last yr who is dominating in short season. Throws up to 93mph as a 16 yr old. Has a projectable body. Location is good for a 16 yr old. Projects to have 3 plus pitches.

Elio De la Rosa- 3b- great hitting mechanics for his age. COmpares him to a young Beltre. He doesnt have the power yet, but his hitting mechanics and solid contact ability at 16 makes him "special". The rest of his game sounds average to below average though (arm, fielding, speed).

Henry Pena- OF- left sided hittability. Average power projection. Average arm, speed. Now that I read it more closely, he really sounds like Melky.

Edwin Beard- LF/RF- similar power projection (one step below maybe) to DeLeon. The rest of his game is not advanced though.

Jorge Liccien-C- converted infielder. Sounds like a defensive guy with hittability potential. I dont get very excited about this kid.

Josue Rodriguez- C- see above

Maicar Sousa- RHP- brazilian pitcher who has a plus curveball already. Very raw in mechanics though. This is the biggest gamble of the bunch. They figured, hell, the kid has a big league curveball, lets develop the rest of him. They dont talk about his velocity.

jacksonianmarch
08-24-2008, 10:09 PM
So, now one yr later, how does it look?

Well, three guys really stand out...

For starters, the only guy who made it out of the Dominican was Arodys Vizcaino. Once people actually saw him, they knew he couldnt remain in the DSL. He's a more powerful Jairo Heredia. His fastball sits 93-94 and he's only 17. His numbers in the GCL this yr are solid too. 48K in 44IP with a near 4:1 K/BB ratio and a BAA of .225. This looks like a very, very good pick.

The other two guys who stand our are Eduardo Sosa and Kelvin De Leon. De Leon was the big ticket, 70-80 power guy who should have started the yr in the GCL. But a log jam of previous DSL signees prevented him from making his american debut. That being said, he hasnt disappointed. In 63 games, he's racked up a .399OBP and a .489SLG. One thing that is a bit scary is the fact that he's stuck out a bit less than 1 every 3 ABs.

The other signee who is just lights out is Eduardo Sosa. He was a Johnny Damon comp. who also stayed in the Dominican based upon a numbers game. He's also 17 yrs old and has just killed the DSL. .315/.405/.472 with 30 steals is nothing to laugh at.

Jose Mojica, the guy who the yankees signed late and was considered to be a top 10 talent, blew out his knee in spring training and missed the yr with ACL reconstruction. He'll be back in 09, likely in the GCL or NYP league.

Jorghe Liccien is apparently a damn good defensive catcher, but isnt hitting well.

Maicar Sousa now goes by the name Maicar Alves and he's pitching well in limited duty, but he is a non-prospect since he cannot break 85mph.

De La Rosa and Henry Pena, two big budget signees were flat out awful this yr.