PDA

View Full Version : Sox INTL signings

jacksonianmarch
07-02-2007, 08:38 AM
I dont have any, but I figured scaffolds does. Go get em.

scaffolds
07-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Jackson, I did post about this briefly in the DSL thread, the International prospect signing for 16 yrs starts today July second, it may take a day or two to find out who has signed, there quite a few top prospects whose name are attached to both the yankees and the Red Sox. The Sox signed in June perhaps the top prospect in Taiwan in 18 yrs outfielder Che-Hauang Lin and is playing in the GCL.

scaffolds
07-02-2007, 09:11 AM
According to yankee sources the Yankees have signed top Dominican outfielders Kelvin de leon and Henry Perez among of a group of nine prospects signed Monday morning from The Dominican, Venezuela and Brasil.

jacksonianmarch
07-02-2007, 09:39 AM
DeLeon sounds like a masher. I like it.

scaffolds
07-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Well, according to what i have heard De Leon is very similar to the Yankees Melky Cabrera, perhaps not as fast, but with a better arm.

Rdsxmbnt
07-02-2007, 04:32 PM
The Red Sox were in on Dominican shortstop/third baseman Michael Almanzar all spring and are reportedly set to sign the 16-year-old offensive-minded third baseman, who projects to hit for plus power. The Sox declined comment Sunday regarding Almanzar, though according to several sources the deal is done for $1.5 million.

Would be a very nice signing, 1.5 mil would be the largest international bonus the sox have given.

ORS
07-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Wait, so the Yankees could end up having two Melky Cabrera's? Oh noes, they will be invincible.

scaffolds
07-02-2007, 06:28 PM
According to people in the industry De leon was asking for 1.8 million to sign.

NateGrey
07-02-2007, 07:46 PM
.. Any word on Julio Teheran? ..

Rdsxmbnt
07-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Atlanta is said to be the primary suitor but not much else

scaffolds
07-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Teheran might be the prospect with the highest ceiling in this group, in addition he's from the same camp that the Sox signed Colombian RHP Randy Consuegra last fall.

jacksonianmarch
07-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Well, according to what i have heard De Leon is very similar to the Yankees Melky Cabrera, perhaps not as fast, but with a better arm.

that was quite possibly the worst comparison I could have ever seen. They said that he had the body type of Melky and the power projectability of an all star. But DeLeon is 6'3" and ripped, while Melky is 6 feet in heels. Pat Teale at pinstripes plus took a picture of the kid signing his contract and then one with his family. The kid is big. The Melky comparisons are way off.

BSN07
07-03-2007, 07:33 AM
I don't kno whats worse, being compared to Melky physically or being compared to his skill sets. Can't be good either way.

jacksonianmarch
07-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Thing is, he wasnt compared to him in skill sets. BA said his body type was that of Melky. But I have seen pictures of the guy and the guys at PP actually watched his workouts. He's tall and relatively thin/ripped. Melkman is short and stocky. I think the BA people are a bit confused.

BSN07
07-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Melkman is more like his name implies, short and doughy.

jacksonianmarch
07-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Melkman is more like his name implies, short and doughy.

hence why I was perplexed by the comparison and when I saw the pics of the guy. They have ZERO similarities.

Rdsxmbnt
07-03-2007, 10:06 AM
And the Braves have signed Teheran

scaffolds
07-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Jackson; I haven't seen De leon play, but my sources aren't BA and they also compare De Leon to Melky Cabrera and have questions about his bat.

scaffolds
07-03-2007, 10:10 AM
According to Braves sources the Atlanta Braves has signed Colombian RHP Julio Teheran.

NateGrey
07-03-2007, 11:59 AM
.. Braves signed Julio Tehran(Official) ..

>http://braves.scout.com/2/656167.html

NateGrey
07-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Jackson; I haven't seen De leon play, but my sources aren't BA and they also compare De Leon to Melky Cabrera and have questions about his bat.

.. Get him Scaff !! .. :lol: ..

scaffolds
07-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Signing 16 yrs pitchers is very risky because of the injury factor and signing them at a high price is a very bad business that's why those big bonus at this time are for position players.

scaffolds
07-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Its official the Red Sox signed Dominican shortstop Michael Almanzar Monday night the first day that 16 yrs International prospects could sign a pro contract. Almanza signed for 1.5 million bonus in addition another 1.5 million would be pro rated. Almanzar who is listed as 6'5" projects as a third baseman and would stay at the Sox Dominican academy in El Toro until intructional league opens in September, will come to spring traning in February and will play in the GCL in 2008.

jacksonianmarch
07-04-2007, 05:31 AM

The questions most people have with the bat is that he is a total projection sign. He is a big boy at 16 and has shown flashes of the power in the workouts, but is very far from his ceiling, making its reachability come into question. Hence why I say that his power projection is very high. His likelihood of reaching it may not be.

scaffolds
07-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Michael Almanzar is the son of RHP Carlos Almanzar whom the Sox signed in April and has been in rehab from TJ surgery at the Sox minor league camp in FT Myers.

A few more names that BA haven't talk about but that will be signed in this International signing period. All of them are Dominicans

Daury De la Cruz RHP 6-2 170 FB at 89
Miguel Ferrer RHP 6-2 175 FB at 90
Edward Salcedo SS 6-3 190 R/R 6.8/ speed
Carlos Mercedes OF 6-2 180 R/R Average runner

riverside sluggers
07-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Related news... the Sox have announced they have formed a strategic alliance with the Chiba Lotte Marines of Japan, that is also managed by Bobby Valentine

scaffolds
07-04-2007, 01:18 PM
More than likely Almanzar will be among the top 10 Red Sox minor league prospects at the end of the season with a chance to be even in the top 5.

phillysoxfan115
07-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I trust your judgement scaff, but how on earth can you say that a 16 year old boy will be in the top 10 of a vastly improved (probably top 10 in the league) farm system? I too love his power potential, but I just can't imagine a 16 year old at the top of a solid farm system. I know Angel Villalona went to the very top of the Giants farm system when he signed, but that is one of the worst systems in the league.

scaffolds
07-04-2007, 03:08 PM
I do agree that the Sox system has been much improved over the last couple years and deeper, however a prospect list isn't a list of players who may be closer to the Ml, but talent, tools and projection. If you look at the Sox system after Ellsbury, Buchholz, Bowden and Anderson there's a big drop off, there's not one in the system with Almanzar tools, which includes his power projection, like i said earlier he projects as a third baseman and the tool harder for a scout to find is a power right hander hitter who plays a corner position.

AZBlue
07-04-2007, 07:06 PM
If you look at the Sox system after Ellsbury, Buchholz, Bowden and Anderson there's a big drop off, there's not one in the system with Almanzar tools

I have never seen Almanzar, but I completely agree that there is a "Big Four" and a step down to the next group of prospects.

jacksonianmarch
07-05-2007, 08:54 AM
scaff, just read the interview with yankee scout and player development guy Carlos Rios. He was asked the question about the comparison between Melky and DeLeon and he laughed, said the "unnamed AL scout" mustnt have ever seen Melky or DeLeon play and proceeded to rip apart that "unnamed scout." He said that DeLeon wont have Melky's speed, hence is more of a corner OF guy. But projects him as a young Jermaine Dye with huge power capability and good hittability as well.

We did sign Sosa who is a "Johnny Damon type with a better arm" that could fit into the "Melky Cabrera with better speed" category. Maybe they were confused.

AZBlue
07-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Link to interview with Yankee scout?

jacksonianmarch
07-05-2007, 09:45 AM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=303&p=2&c=656591

you need a scout.com membership

scaffolds
07-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Jackson, Like i said before i haven't seen De leon play, but have seen Almanzar play and the tools are, baseball people who have seen both claim that Almanzar is the better project, as far as the Yankees the talk in the industry is that Cashman isn't too happy with his new International scouting director.

I haven't been able to verify this, but there's talk from different sources that the Sox have signed Dominican outfielder Jose Jose. Jose who not only is similar to Sox bonus baby Engel Beltre in his style of playing also looks very similar and spend some in the Red Sox Spring camp in March.

scaffolds
07-05-2007, 08:27 PM
The Boston Glove is reportig that the Sox have signed the following latin players .

From Venezuela SS Joantoni Garcia, OF Javier Gutierrez and C Jesus Rojas.

From Dominican SS Rafael Espinosa and RHP Roman Mendez.

The Glove is also reporting that the Sox have signed Outfielder Che- Husuang Lin but he has been playing in the GCL and Australian RHP Justin Eramus but this signing took place in the Spring.

AZBlue
07-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Scaf, what do you know about the Latin kids on the list?

riverside sluggers
07-05-2007, 10:21 PM
boston herald

Sox hook on to big catch
By Rob Bradford
Thursday, July 5, 2007 - Updated: 12:19 PM EST

The Red Sox might not have had a first-round pick in this year’s draft, but that evidently hasn’t prevented them from securing first-round talent. According to multiple major league sources, the Sox are close to signing one of the biggest prizes in this season’s international free agent class: 16-year-old shortstop/third baseman Michael Almanzar of the Dominican Republic.

The Web site soxprospects.com reports the deal’s signing bonus is for approximately $1.5 million. The figure is equivilant to money usually alloted to amateurs taken in the middle of the first round. It would be the highest signing bonus ever given by the Red Sox to an international free agent. An announcement regarding all of the team’s international signees is expected within the next few days. The international signing period, when players 16 years old and up can sign, began Monday.

Almanzar is the son of pitcher Carlos Almanzar, who has been working out in the Red Sox organization at extended spring training. The 33-year-old Almanzar last pitched in the majors in 2005 with Texas, after which he underwent Tommy John surgery. He has not pitched since being suspended for 10 days for violating Major League Baseball’s drug policy.

Michael Almanzar, a 6-foot-5 right-handed hitter, is primarily an offensive player with tremendous power potential and bat speed. He projects to eventually find a home at third base, although he has primarily played shortstop to date.

AZBlue
07-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I have a thought about the conflicting reports about the amount of Michael Almanzar's bonus. He may be receiving a $1.5 million bonus paid over, say, five years. The writer for the newspaper in the Dominican who reported the $3 million bonus may have misunderstood the numbers and thought it was $1.5 million plus the annual payments when, in reality, it was "only" a total of $1.5 million paid over time.

scaffolds
07-06-2007, 12:58 PM
AZblue, I assume that your asking other than Almanzar, I have heard about Garcia before but i am trying to get more info on him, the rest of the Latin group is second tier.

AZBlue
07-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks, Scaf.

scaffolds
07-06-2007, 07:52 PM
AZBlue, You welcome, with the recent signing, this how the red Sox minor league prospect comes from.

Dominican Republic- 44
Venezuela 32
Australia 5
Taiwan 4
Puerto Rico 3
Colombia 2
Cuba 1
Canada 1
Honduras 1
Nicaragua 1
Panama 1
Curacao 1
Mexico 0 (But 1 Mexican decent)

AZBlue
07-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Scaf, I have read on a couple of sites that the Red Sox have signed Jose Jose. What do you know about him?

scaffolds
07-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Scaf, I have read on a couple of sites that the Red Sox have signed Jose Jose. What do you know about him?

I have heard about the talk about the sox signing Jose Jose, but haven't been able to talk to someone that knows for sure if he signed or not. Jose Jose is a carbon copy of Sox dominican outfieder Engel Beltre, both of them are around 6-1 170 left handed throwers and hitters, very athletics, even their hitting swing are very similar with a slight upper cut.

jacksonianmarch
07-09-2007, 04:46 PM
I have heard about the talk about the sox signing Jose Jose, but haven't been able to talk to someone that knows for sure if he signed or not. Jose Jose is a carbon copy of Sox dominican outfieder Engel Beltre, both of them are around 6-1 170 left handed throwers and hitters, very athletics, even their hitting swing are very similar with a slight upper cut.

I had heard that many scouts who saw him after he was hyped left very unimpressed. I know the yankees and sox were considered to be big players for him but after the "unnamed AL scouts" said that about him, the yankee speculation died down. Who knows, those may be the same scouts who said DeLeon looked like Melky. IE, they're dumb.

scaffolds
07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Jackson, I saw Jose Jose take batting practice at the end of March and he showed a very quick bat with good pop.

NateGrey
07-09-2007, 05:32 PM
.. What's the word on Carlos Flores? ..

scaffolds
07-09-2007, 07:12 PM
.. What's the word on Carlos Flores? ..

I don't know if he has signed, but Seatle was very interested on him.

By the way all of the Latin players who signed recently with the Red Sox have signed 2008 contract, which means that they can practice with the team, but can't play in any organized games until 2008.

scaffolds
07-10-2007, 04:33 PM
According to BA Red Sox's Craig Shipley is the hardest International scouting director to deal with for a media outlet.

scaffolds
07-11-2007, 01:30 PM
The early phase of International signing finishes at the end of August.

example1
07-12-2007, 01:26 AM
How excited should Sox fans be with the acquisition of Michael Almanzar scaffolds? Seems like the dude could be a monster.

jacksonianmarch
07-12-2007, 06:17 AM
How excited should Sox fans be with the acquisition of Michael Almanzar scaffolds? Seems like the dude could be a monster.

I think Almanzar is a big acquisition, but just like with Montero last yr, it is a huge waiting game. You wont see him until next yr at the earliest, and that is assuming they send him right to the GCL or to low A ball instead of the DSL.

scaffolds
07-12-2007, 05:51 PM

Anytime an organization sign a 16 yrs there's risks, but the 6-5 185 right hander hitter is the top hitter for this signing period.

Jackson, Almanzar signed a 2008 contract and he should start his carreer in the GCL.

example1
07-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Anytime an organization sign a 16 yrs there's risks, but the 6-5 185 right hander hitter is the top hitter for this signing period.

Jackson, Almanzar signed a 2008 contract and he should start his carreer in the GCL.

It seems pretty rare to pay 1.5 m or 2m for a 16 year old.

With Tejada and Beltre they have a number of very long term projects who the Sox may be happy to have in a few years.

scaffolds
07-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Well, the word is that the Sox paid 3M to Almanzar.

scaffolds
07-13-2007, 12:52 PM
For those who are interested in the Sox signing of International prospects, its nice to see the Sox signing some of those Latin prospects, but it won't much if the Sox don't sign some coaches who can comunicate with them and help them to develop.

scaffolds
08-16-2007, 05:12 PM
There's only 15 days left on the early phase of the International signing. According to the Boston Glove the Red Sox signed the first European player in years when they signed German RHP Jennel Hudson. Hudson who is 6-5 and its 17 yrs has been playing in the ML European baseball Academy in Italy.

The Puerto Rico Winter league has cancel its 2007-2008 season because bad economic issues on the island.

sox junky
08-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Scaff:

Earlier you mentioned that you were going to look for more information about Joantoni Garcia the SS Boston signed out of Venezuela. What have you found out?

My big question is: Is this the same person as Olivar Garcia who Baseball America and Chris Kline specifically linked to Boston before the international signing period opened up.

Also, what's going on with Jose Jose?

Are you hearing about any other international free agent signings?

Thanks

scaffolds
08-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Scaff:

Earlier you mentioned that you were going to look for more information about Joantoni Garcia the SS Boston signed out of Venezuela. What have you found out?

My big question is: Is this the same person as Olivar Garcia who Baseball America and Chris Kline specifically linked to Boston before the international signing period opened up.

Also, what's going on with Jose Jose?

Are you hearing about any other international free agent signings?

Thanks

I haven't been able to confirm any other Sox signing lately, with the early phase of International signing coming to an end in a couple weeks might be able to do it.

scaffolds
08-28-2007, 02:21 PM
I got some International signing news to pass along. First of all Dominican Jose Jose who spend a few days in Spring training with the Red Sox hasn't signed with a ML organization, the same can be said about Venezuelan SS Oliver Garcia. The Sox signed a Venezuelan short stop by the name of Joantoni Garcia, but they aren't the same player.

The Red Sox have signed recently LHP Israel Perez and middle infielder Luis Uruella (I believe that's how his last name is spelled) they are both Dominicans. Perez who i saw pitch in the 2006's Fall is 6-3 170 Is long with a loose arm, smooth and very fluid mechanics, he throws a heavy fastball and a solid CB with good depth. Besides Almanzar he may be the top prospect signed by the Red Sox in the early phase of the International signig. I don't have a scouting report on Uruella for now.

Rdsxmbnt
08-28-2007, 02:54 PM
regarding Jose Jose and Oliver Garcia, they haven't signed with the Red Sox, but do they remain possible candidates?

scaffolds
08-28-2007, 03:31 PM
regarding Jose Jose and Oliver Garcia, they haven't signed with the Red Sox, but do they remain possible candidates?

I don't believe that they will sign with the Red Sox.

UC9904
08-29-2007, 08:42 AM
The Red Sox have signed LHP Israel Perez and infielder Lewis Urena, both of whom are from the Dominican Republic.

Scouting reports to come.

scaffolds
10-11-2007, 05:12 PM
As long as Craig Shipley stay away from scouting Latin America the Red Sox will do well in scouting and signing in Latin America, but the Sox needs another source of talent to replace Venezuela as this country with Castro wants to be Chavez at the Head its getting harder and harder to find talent. Other organizations has begin to scout Brazil harder but the Red Sox don't even have a scout in that Country. Colombia might the country who some what could replace Venezuela, but in Colombia baseball gets played in the Coast only. The Red Sox hired a new scout to scout Colombia (Santiago Prada) a couple years ago and it begin to pay dividends last Fall when they signed Prospect Randy Consuegra (RHP) earlier this week Prada and Latin America scouting director John Dipuglia went back to Colombia and held a tryout looking for more talent. Mexico could be a source and the Red Sox signed a new scout (Jose Prada) two years ago, but the Red Sox haven't signed a player out of Mexico in more than 5 years, there's also a new scout in Panama (Jaime Pringle) but the Sox haven't signed a player out of Panama since they signed Joseph Guerra (RHP) November of 2003. Nicaragua also has been a source of talent, but also has a DICTATOR and the Sox haven't signed an amateur player from this country since they signed Mario Pena (LHP) in 2002, in 2007 the Red Sox didn't have a scout in Nicaragua, Finally the Red Sox haven't signed a prospect out of Curacao in about 10 years, in 2006 the Sox hired a new scout (Antonio Simon) for this area and it also pay dividends when they signed Prospect Dennis Neuman (RHP) In conclusion the Sox needs to spend more time in this areas as well as in Brazil and even in Honduras if they want to stay at the top of International scouting.

jacksonianmarch
10-11-2007, 07:44 PM
the yankees just signed their first guy out of Brazil this past July.

scaffolds
11-02-2007, 09:21 PM
The White Sox have signed 17 yrs catcher Jaime Andres Del Valle and 19 yrs first baseman Hector Acuna out of Colombia.

scaffolds
12-03-2007, 12:57 PM
For those who follow International scouting the Red Sox have signed Dominican outfielder Chris De la Rosa.

AZBlue
12-04-2007, 09:48 PM
What do you know about de la Rosa?

scaffolds
12-05-2007, 05:41 PM
According to what i have heard, De La Rosa has some tools, but its raw.

scaffolds
12-12-2007, 08:19 PM
The Red Sox hold a tryout recently for Cuban prospect Alexei Ramirez. Ramirez a 26 yrs scaped the communist island earlier in the year and recently was given the clearence to sign with a ML organization. Ramirez who had been one of Cuban top HR hitters doesn't project like a middle infielder like he played in Cuba but as a CF. The Red Sox who might loose Coco Crisp or Jacoby Ellsbury in a trade this off season might be interested in signing Ramirez as their back up CF.

scaffolds
12-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Short Stop Rafael Espinosa has opened eyes this fall at Red Sox Baseball academy in the Dominican. Espinosa who the Sox gave him a $250,000 bonus to sign as a 16 yrs in July has been compare to a young Alfredo Griffin. Espinosa who's 5-10 160 and like fellow Dominican Short stop Oscar Tejeda is a top prospect, but unlike Tejeda his game is speed and quickness, with plus plus quick hands. There's a chance that Espinosa may skip the DSL and stat his profesional carreer in the GCL in 2008.