PDA

View Full Version : The stating RHP pitchers in the Red Sox system

scaffolds
07-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Its very well known that Clay Buchholz and Mike Bowden are the top staring RHP in the Red Sox system, but what's after them?

Coming into the 2007 minor league season the Red Sox brass expected someone from the group of Daniel Bard, Justin Masterson, Jorge Rodriguez, Devern Hansack or Caleb Clay to jump out, well Bard really struggle in lancaster and while he has pitched a lot better in Greenville he has been less than dominating, Clay couldn't make a full season squad out of Springtraining and has pitched well in Lowell, but again he hasn't been overpowering, Rodriguez was able to make the Greenville roster out of Spring training, but has pitched as a middle reliever and not very well, Hansack has pitched well in Pawtucket, but not like a top propect and who knows how old he is, which leads of to Masterson. Any baseball person will tell you that Masterson future is a set up reliever, however he has pitched as a starter the whole season first at lancaster where we all lnow that the park isn't healthy to pitcher and while it took a while he was able to get a grip of the California league to the point where he earned a promotion to AA.

The next group of prospects which includes Jimmy James, Emilis Guerrero and Pedro Perez while talented, the jury still out on them and there's some questions. The more mature group of Chris Jones, David Pauley, Chris Smith and Matt Goodson are less talented and have taken a step back in 2007.

This lead to the future, and the Sox drafted a large group of Talented RHP and have signed pitchers like Brock Huntzinger, Thomas Pressly and Hunter Strickland plus more who may be on the way and the addition of Anthony Alvarado with also the DSL prospects like Solmy Pimentel, Anataner Batista, Javier Jimenez, Charlie Rosario and Yeiper Castillo the fure isn't bleak.

jacksonianmarch
07-09-2007, 08:37 PM
the sox have a serious dropoff from Buch and Bowden. Their low levels remind me of the yankees 2 yrs ago.

scaffolds
07-09-2007, 08:44 PM
the sox have a serious dropoff from Buch and Bowden. Their low levels remind me of the yankees 2 yrs ago.

Yes they do, but the lower level pitchers are very talented.

jacksonianmarch
07-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Yes they do, but the lower level pitchers are very talented.

hence why they remind me of the yankees from 2 yrs back. Out of the talented bunch of dominican kids, Angel Reyes made it to long season and out of the draft, Clippard, Wright, DeSalvo, and White have all made it to AAA or the majors.

example1
07-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Its very well known that Clay Buchholz and Mike Bowden are the top staring RHP in the Red Sox system, but what's after them?

Coming into the 2007 minor league season the Red Sox brass expected someone from the group of Daniel Bard, Justin Masterson, Jorge Rodriguez, Devern Hansack or Caleb Clay to jump out, well Bard really struggle in lancaster and while he has pitched a lot better in Greenville he has been less than dominating, Clay couldn't make a full season squad out of Springtraining and has pitched well in Lowell, but again he hasn't been overpowering, Rodriguez was able to make the Greenville roster out of Spring training, but has pitched as a middle reliever and not very well, Hansack has pitched well in Pawtucket, but not like a top propect and who knows how old he is, which leads of to Masterson. Any baseball person will tell you that Masterson future is a set up reliever, however he has pitched as a starter the whole season first at lancaster where we all lnow that the park isn't healthy to pitcher and while it took a while he was able to get a grip of the California league to the point where he earned a promotion to AA.

The next group of prospects which includes Jimmy James, Emilis Guerrero and Pedro Perez while talented, the jury still out on them and there's some questions. The more mature group of Chris Jones, David Pauley, Chris Smith and Matt Goodson are less talented and have taken a step back in 2007.

This lead to the future, and the Sox drafted a large group of Talented RHP and have signed pitchers like Brock Huntzinger, Thomas Pressly and Hunter Strickland plus more who may be on the way and the addition of Anthony Alvarado with also the DSL prospects like Solmy Pimentel, Anataner Batista, Javier Jimenez, Charlie Rosario and Yeiper Castillo the fure isn't bleak.

Great status report Scaffolds. Do you think their lack of top-tier RHP prospects besides Buchholz and Bowden is a reflection on a weakness of the system, or of how good Bowden and Buchholz could be?

How does this compare with other teams, in terms of overall talent?

My sense is that Buchholz is about as good as any pitcher in minor league baseball right now. He seems to have separated himself. So at the very top the Sox have to be up with any other team in terms of just pure RHP talent. My guess is that there are a number of teams who believe they have a pitcher like Michael Bowden near the top of their prospect list, and that Bowden hasn't separated himself nearly as well as Buchholz has.

jacksonianmarch
07-09-2007, 10:41 PM
On pure stuff, Buchholz isnt necessarily the best. In polish and command, he makes his great stuff even more superb. He is a lot like Hughes. Sits low 90s with the occasional mid 90s heat and solid control of plus off speed stuff. One could make an argument that stuff-wise, Joba is better. But Buch has the control on him at least for now.

Rdsxmbnt
07-09-2007, 10:52 PM
On pure stuff, Buchholz isnt necessarily the best. In polish and command, he makes his great stuff even more superb. He is a lot like Hughes. Sits low 90s with the occasional mid 90s heat and solid control of plus off speed stuff. One could make an argument that stuff-wise, Joba is better. But Buch has the control on him at least for now.

I guess theres no real way to argue stuff but I don't really see another prospect in the minors with as good an arsenal as Buchholz. The results are undoubtedly there and Buchholz's curveball and change-up are now being touted as plus-plus pitches mixed in with a good slider and pretty good velocity on his fastball. Joba's fastball is definetly better but his offspeed pitches aren't on the same level.

jacksonianmarch
07-10-2007, 06:41 AM
I guess theres no real way to argue stuff but I don't really see another prospect in the minors with as good an arsenal as Buchholz. The results are undoubtedly there and Buchholz's curveball and change-up are now being touted as plus-plus pitches mixed in with a good slider and pretty good velocity on his fastball. Joba's fastball is definetly better but his offspeed pitches aren't on the same level.

Joba's slider is most certainly on level with anyone's off-speed stuff. HIs slider is just wrong. It shouldnt be allowed. But Buch has nearly mastered something very basic to being a top line SP. Buch has fastball command all through the zone. Joba's command has improved to a point of being very effective, but he doesnt have the FB command of Buchholz and that is what separates the two. At the same time, Buch is one yr older as well and has one more yr of professional experience under his belt.

scaffolds
07-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Great status report Scaffolds. Do you think their lack of top-tier RHP prospects besides Buchholz and Bowden is a reflection on a weakness of the system, or of how good Bowden and Buchholz could be?

How does this compare with other teams, in terms of overall talent?

My sense is that Buchholz is about as good as any pitcher in minor league baseball right now. He seems to have separated himself. So at the very top the Sox have to be up with any other team in terms of just pure RHP talent. My guess is that there are a number of teams who believe they have a pitcher like Michael Bowden near the top of their prospect list, and that Bowden hasn't separated himself nearly as well as Buchholz has.

Thank You, Isn't a reflection of the system, but a weakness at the position, As a whole package Buchholz is one of the best pitching prospect if not the best. Other pitching prospects may throw harder consistently but not one has the whole package like Buchholz does.