PDA

View Full Version : They Answered My Question!

CrespoBlows
09-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Here it is:

Adam M. from Sarasota, Fla., asks:
Red Sox prospect Dustin Pedroia is ripping apart Single A pitching, continuing his success from Augusta, now to High A Sarasota. Is he the real deal? And if so when do you expect him to be in Boston? Also, where does that leave Hanley Ramirez? I know they both are shortstops.

Sickels Answer
He looks like the real deal to me. Pedroia was the first player the Sox picked in the draft this year, a second-rounder out of Arizona State. He is not considered blessed with tools being a short guy without tremendous physical attributes. But his baseball skills are very refined, and he made short work of professional pitching in his pro debut. He started in the Sally League, and went 20-for-50 in his first 12 games for Augusta, earning a promotion to Sarasota. There, in 30 games in the Florida State League, Pedroia hit .336 with a .417 OBP and a .523 SLG, drawing 13 walks with only four strikeouts in 107 at-bats. These numbers are very similar to what he did for the Sun Devils: high batting average, lots of walks, excellent OBP, and more power than you expect from a short guy. He has a quick swing, superb plate discipline, and plays the game with energy and enthusiasm. We'll do a full profile on him later this winter.

Pedrioa is very reliable at shortstop, and has yet to make an error in pro ball. Some scouts don't think he has the arm strength to play shortstop in the majors, projecting him to move over to second base eventually. Personally, I think he would be just fine at short, although the presence of Ramirez (who played much better this year than in 2003) could very well shift Pedroia to second in the long run. Either way, I think Dustin is going to be a very effective Major League hitter. We could see him in the Show as early as this time next year.

yeszir
09-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Wow, thats awesome that they would 1) pick your questions, congrats! and 2) talk about a single A pitching prospect for the sox.

Cool!

Zenny
09-19-2004, 02:27 PM
That's awesome, Adam. I would think that Sickels would like Pedroia; he's always been a performance-first guy.

CrespoBlows
09-19-2004, 04:07 PM
I sent two emails, one about Abe Alvarez, and one about Brandon Moss. I'll check if they get answered.

empirestrikesback26
09-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Typical ESPN, answer all questions about the sox and ignore all questions on yankees.

CrespoBlows
09-19-2004, 06:58 PM
since he's banned no point firing back, but this was the first question about the sox in a while. Plus the way I wrote my question domianted. :D

yankeessuck013
10-02-2004, 08:27 PM
u really think he might get some time in the major leagues next year? ;)

Zenny
10-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by yankeessuck013@Oct 2 2004, 09:27 PM
u really think he might get some time in the major leagues next year? ;)
Well, that all depends on how he performs. He should be Portland's starting SS, when Hanley gets the likely jump to Pawtucket to play SS. If he plays well there, he should get the bump to Pawtucket sometime in June or so to play 2B alongside Hanley.

The best comparison I could make with those two would be a Miguel Tejada - Mark Loretta double-play tandem. I love Orlando and Bellhorn, but these guys are studs.

Soxfan#1
06-17-2007, 11:01 AM
you guys aint GM's. just cuz you are from a hick ass fag town like boston doesnt mean you can be a gm. get spanked by the yankees assholes. thats all you dickheads are: the yankees punching bag. people felt sorry for you guys. not anymore. pussies

go get gay married by jon kerry
Excellent insult.
Now lets talk about LA Gangs!

Mirabellifan
06-17-2007, 12:06 PM
2 years ago i sent Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo a picture I drew of them and they showed it during a game.:D