PDA

View Full Version : Yanks Acquire C Jose Molina...

example1
07-21-2007, 10:23 PM
For minor league P Jeff Kennard. Just saw it on the ESPN crawler.

Hmmmm. He's really fast, for a catcher, isn't he? :D

EDIT: also, http://www.centredaily.com/sports/baseball/story/158797.html

example1
07-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Not a bad acquisition. He's servicable in a shared role with Posada.

CrespoBlows
07-21-2007, 10:30 PM
I think Mike Mussina committed suicide.

ARod2212
07-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Good defensive catcher. Mussina will have to learn to work with him, or learn to play in AAA with Nieves when Karstens and Hughes are healthy. Enough of this 7 runs an outing if your ball boy isn't there.

riverside sluggers
07-22-2007, 01:22 AM
For minor league P Jeff Kennard. Just saw it on the ESPN crawler.

Hmmmm. He's really fast, for a catcher, isn't he? :D

EDIT: also, http://www.centredaily.com/sports/baseball/story/158797.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AnSWhz6.W1zhTlTonHEX10qFCLcF?gid=270 510103
Strangely enough, one of his 2 stolen bases this season was taking home plate while the Indians' Jeremy Sowers mustve been dozing off

Youk Of The Nation
07-22-2007, 01:58 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AnSWhz6.W1zhTlTonHEX10qFCLcF?gid=270 510103
Strangely enough, one of his 2 stolen bases this season was taking home plate while the Indians' Jeremy Sowers mustve been dozing off

It was a double steal. I dont think Jose Molina could straight steal home if the pitcher was unconcious.

jacksonianmarch
07-22-2007, 06:20 AM
Well, Jeff Kennard was a solid MR prospect who threw hard. I thought he would be a guy who'd get a shot with this team this yr, but unfortunately, the yankees never moved him up from AA even though he dominated. He was an older prospect as well, and was on the 40 man roster, so I could see why they dangled him. But if anyone can turn him into a lights out reliever, it is the Angels. This is a good deal for us for the short term but with Molina being a FA, this could come back to bite us in the future.

Gom
07-22-2007, 01:49 PM
I think this is a fantastic move for the Yankees. Nieves was useless, not a good defensive catcher, not a good game caller, not a good hitter. Nieves was hitting .138, and Molina can and will throw out runners. This will allow the Yankees not to have a downgrade both hitting AND fielding AND game calling if they pinch run, et al., for Posada.

It's not going to put them over the top, but I really think that this addition will account to at least one more win over the course of the rest of the season than having Nieves at catcher.

Jacks, can you please stop falling in love with EVERY player we have in the minors? Seriously, buddy, not every one is going to be a good player in the majors. The Angels were dumping him off because he was critical of management.

jacksonianmarch
07-22-2007, 07:57 PM
I think this is a fantastic move for the Yankees. Nieves was useless, not a good defensive catcher, not a good game caller, not a good hitter. Nieves was hitting .138, and Molina can and will throw out runners. This will allow the Yankees not to have a downgrade both hitting AND fielding AND game calling if they pinch run, et al., for Posada.

It's not going to put them over the top, but I really think that this addition will account to at least one more win over the course of the rest of the season than having Nieves at catcher.

Jacks, can you please stop falling in love with EVERY player we have in the minors? Seriously, buddy, not every one is going to be a good player in the majors. The Angels were dumping him off because he was critical of management.

Like I said Gom, I think this is a good move short term. I am just very leery of dealing a power armed prospect to an organization that turns rough-edged power arms into dominant forces. Kennard is capable of hitting 97-98 mph and has a plus breaking pitch. He just has poor control. Sounds a little like Jenks, and all he needed was a change of scenery and philosophy.

Sox Fan In Indy
07-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Anyone else see the pattern? First they call up Chris Duncan's brother, now they trade for Yadier Molina's brother. Apparently they're hoping to emulate St. Louis's success from last year.

Gom
07-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Like I said Gom, I think this is a good move short term. I am just very leery of dealing a power armed prospect to an organization that turns rough-edged power arms into dominant forces. Kennard is capable of hitting 97-98 mph and has a plus breaking pitch. He just has poor control. Sounds a little like Jenks, and all he needed was a change of scenery and philosophy.

Jacko, Kennard is a 26 year old pitcher in Double A with a 1.25 WHIP. Do you really think that this guy would even make the major leagues? It's a less than 50/50 shot that this guy even makes it to spring training.

I don't see how this could be a bad move long or short term. Now, if Kennard was 21, I would understand. My point is that not everyone in the minors is a major league prospect.

lasorda's speed dial
07-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Shit for crap.

Gom
07-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Shit for crap.

To me, the biggest thing a backup catcher can have is defense. I could care less about the offense from the back up catcher. Molina is one of the better defensive catchers in baseball. The fact that Jacko could probably hit better than either him or Nieves is inconsequential.

jacksonianmarch
07-23-2007, 06:45 PM
To me, the biggest thing a backup catcher can have is defense. I could care less about the offense from the back up catcher. Molina is one of the better defensive catchers in baseball. The fact that Jacko could probably hit better than either him or Nieves is inconsequential.

LOL, not anymore. I went to the cages and after all this slow pitch softball, my bat is SLOOOOOW. The 85 mph cage was giving me all I could handle, lol.