PDA

View Full Version : Proctor for Betemit Done

Coco's Disciples
07-31-2007, 11:01 AM
According to Buster Olney, who literallly is on the phone right now on ESPN2. He says the deal is done pending physicals.

yankees228
07-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Well, Betemit has struggled so far this year in the batting average department, but his on - base percentage and slugging percentage are both good. He should benefit from more consistent time with the Yankees then he was getting with the Dodgers. He should be a solid upgrade to the bench, and he should be a solution for more then just this year.

Proctor might hurt a bit, but he has been struggling mightly, and Joba Chamberlain (I understand he is a question mark out of the pen) should fill in as an adequate replacement.

Gom
07-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Another example of Cashman being clueless. Andy Phillips is a better player right now than Betemit, and the Yankees primary concern is bullpen, so he trades the most durable reliever he has. How clueless is this guy? Is he trying to get fired?

The only way this deal even remotely makes any sense at all is if they have a deal in place for Gagne, and from what I hear they don't.

I'm disgusted.

CrespoBlows
07-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Another example of Cashman being clueless. Andy Phillips is a better player right now than Betemit, and the Yankees primary concern is bullpen, so he trades the most durable reliever he has. How clueless is this guy? Is he trying to get fired?

The only way this deal even remotely makes any sense at all is if they have a deal in place for Gagne, and from what I hear they don't.

I'm disgusted.

Andy Phillips is having a decent season, but he's not better than Wilson Betemit. Phillips currently sports a .304 average, which is bound to burst. His BABIP is .356, which is .61 points above his career norm. He doesn't do a lot in terms of hitting for power, or walking. His OPS is .770, which is below average for a 1B. I don't know how good Betemit is with the glove at 1B, but he's going to produce a lot more runs with his bat, than Phillips would have.

BoSox21
07-31-2007, 12:20 PM
yup, cause the offense is what the Yankees need to upgrade at the deadline....

CrespoBlows
07-31-2007, 12:27 PM
yup, cause the offense is what the Yankees need to upgrade at the deadline....

True, but I guess they believe that Chamberlin is going to be a better option in the 7th/8th than Proctor was.

Proctor wasn't having a great year, his WHIP is over 1.51. Add that with his chronic overuse, and you have concerns for a collapse in the August, and September.

redsoxrules
07-31-2007, 12:29 PM
proctor and his 1.51WHIP is garbage, this is actually a good deal for the yanks . also the yanks bulpen isnt all that bad their 11 in the major league in ERA

ORS
07-31-2007, 12:32 PM
The new look Yankees?

http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drd200/d219/d219114ot0b.jpg

lasorda's speed dial
07-31-2007, 01:14 PM
I think both teams are satisfied with this less than exciting move.

CrespoBlows
07-31-2007, 02:30 PM
From Keith Law:

Scott Proctor was Joe Torre's go-to guy in 2006, a dubious distinction because it carries with it a very high workload -- 83 games and over 100 innings of work. He already showed signs of fatigue down the stretch last year; his fastball was still solid at 93-97 mph, but it went from having little movement to having no movement, and he couldn't keep his front shoulder closed through his delivery.

Those issues haven't resolved themselves this year, and Proctor's peripherals have all gotten worse, including a near-doubling of his walk rate and a big spike in his home run rate. The switch in leagues should help him, but Dodger Stadium is a good home run park, which might cancel the former out. This does open up a small hole in the Yankees' bullpen, although Joba Chamberlain could come up to fill those missing innings if the Yankees don't fill the hole via trade.

Betemit was once one of the top prospects in the minors, but inconsistent playing time and a long swing have held him back. He may not hit for much average due to his trouble making contact, but he has good power for a third baseman, good hands, and a well above-average arm. His work ethic has also been a question mark, and his on-field effort level is inconsistent.

For the Yanks, he slots in as a solid backup infielder in case there's an injury, but his playing time will be very limited given who he's behind. He's not exactly a good insurance policy if Alex Rodriguez opts out of his contract, but he's a capable reserve. For the Dodgers, this needs to be followed by the recall of Andy LaRoche, the best third base option in their organization. LaRoche is unathletic and just an average glove, but he can rake and gives them an on-base threat in a lineup that already has a number of them. If LaRoche gets the full-time job and plays to his potential, the Dodgers will have by far the best offense in their division.

riverside sluggers
07-31-2007, 04:10 PM
I can almost hear Proctor yelling out "freedom" on his flight to LA :lol:

Optimist
07-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Best of luck to Proctor; he was always someone I liked and it was good to see him have some success these past two seasons.

jacksonianmarch
07-31-2007, 11:29 PM
I chimed in on a yankee board, but why not here after my shift and on my way to bed.

In terms of value, we win out on this one. Betemit had a solid IsoPower and IsoPatience this season and as a part time player, he might improve with PT. That he is a switch hitter also helps. He is kinda like WMP with less power but more patience. If we can get him going right, he could really be something. If we dont, then whatever. And with Proctor, we gave up a declining reliever who will likely be flamed out due to workload by next season.

But my biggest criticism of this move is that it leaves no room for contingency. You have Farnsworth calling out ARod, Torre, Steinbrenner, Billy Crystal, Babe Ruth, etc. The guy wants out in the worst way and has played like a guy destined for Trenton rather than respectability. And then you take away the most trusted reliever on the team and replace him with nothing. So instead of a kinda crappy pen with guys who could at least be average, we create 2 holes by having an unhappy POS and then a deal that takes away the other. You fill one with a rookie and then nothing? No deals, no moves, nothing to fill our biggest weakness, except we make a deal that digs the hole deeper? It makes no sense. If we bring up Joba, here is what will happen. Torre will leave him on the bench for a week, then use him, see that he is okay and then use him till he is hurt. This is Torre's mantra and he wont change. Knowing this and THEN weakening Torre's BP arsenal is nothing short of assinine for this season.

Now I dont blame Cashman for not getting Gagne because I think that Horne or Kennedy is too steep a price, but we couldnt beat Kyle Davies for Dotel? We couldnt get Reyes from TB? Nothing? I dont like this contingency and I dont like our pen in front of Mo. And with how short winded our rotation is, I dont like the idea of running into a playoff chase having 2 inning per game (at least) determined by a rookie and a bunch of shitbums.

So for the future, this could be a very solid deal. For now, i dont like it and it may have hindered us significantly in our chase to win the WC or the East.

Gom
08-01-2007, 04:53 AM
The deal sucks. Anyway you look at it. Trading an arm, any arm, OUT of Torre's hand to get a below average firstbaseman in any way shape or farm sucks.

Jacko, I rarely agree with you, mainly because I believe you think like a fan of a small market team, but I am surprised you like this move. Is the overall difference between Phillips and Betemit [Phillips is a much better defensive first baseman than Betemit] worth giving up those innings? Where the Sox gave up nothing to get Gagne, we got Betemit. For our workhorse out of the pen. True, he wasn't the best pitcher on our team, but he could take the ball three nights in a row, he could pitch more than one inning, and we replaced him with NOTHING. A below average firstbaseman, when we had one.

jacksonianmarch
08-01-2007, 06:15 AM
The deal sucks. Anyway you look at it. Trading an arm, any arm, OUT of Torre's hand to get a below average firstbaseman in any way shape or farm sucks.

Jacko, I rarely agree with you, mainly because I believe you think like a fan of a small market team, but I am surprised you like this move. Is the overall difference between Phillips and Betemit [Phillips is a much better defensive first baseman than Betemit] worth giving up those innings? Where the Sox gave up nothing to get Gagne, we got Betemit. For our workhorse out of the pen. True, he wasn't the best pitcher on our team, but he could take the ball three nights in a row, he could pitch more than one inning, and we replaced him with NOTHING. A below average firstbaseman, when we had one.

In terms of value, Betemit is a switch hitting power guy who can play 1b and 3b. Not sure where you heard he was below average defensively, because the guy is a converted SS who is noted for being good defensively. And with his IsoPo and IsoPa trending upwards, he some serious offensive potential if he gets regular playing time. He becomes the best internal option if ARod decides to fly the coop.

In terms of Proctor, his trends show serious decline and he may be primed for a serious letdown. But as I said, I hate this deal for this season since we have no contingency plans other than a rookie and the Farns.

jacksonianmarch
08-01-2007, 06:25 AM
And I am thinking more like a small market team these days because the high level pricy FA's dont come around all that often as they all sign extensions now that revenue sharing has increased the pockets of all teams. If there was a Carlos Zambrano available every offseason, then I wouldnt give two craps about the minors.

He Hate Me
08-01-2007, 09:02 AM
My reaction to the trade:

Whelmed

He Hate Me

Mr Crunchy
08-01-2007, 12:15 PM
the yanks dumped their biggest inning eater out of the pen.
is this a sign of surrendering despite being only 7 out of 1st and even closer to a wildcard?

ive seen betemit quite a bit this year
hes a good ball player but the yanks dont seem starved for offense.

did mrs farnsworth demand they move proctor so he can get the ball in meaningful situations??

proctor,despite his obvious mediocrity,did serve a valued purpose for joe torre and now he will have to trust someone else to come in after clemens and mussina fail to reach the 6th

26 to 6
08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
I dont mind this move too much. I don't see why there is all this uproar. This isn't intended to be a impact move or anything, just an addittion at the trade deadline. Bottom line is Proctor can't buy a strike lately, and Betemit is a young, versatile, switch-hitting infielder (who I suppose can play in the OF if need be). He may have some trouble finding regular ABs, but i'm sure Joe will be able to get him in there here and there. Plus, this guy is loaded with potential, and answers our 3B need if A-Rod bounces after this season. It's just a move to offer to stability and reassurance for now and beyond. Also, with Karstens and Hughes on their way back, something needed to be done to make room on the pitching staff. I don't see how this hurts at all. I just wish we could have found a way to unload Kyle Farnsworth.

I hope Proctor gets things back in order in LA. He did a very servicable job in his time here. He was durable and reliable, and unfortunately it is just time to part ways.

jacksonianmarch
08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
the yanks dumped their biggest inning eater out of the pen.
is this a sign of surrendering despite being only 7 out of 1st and even closer to a wildcard?

ive seen betemit quite a bit this year
hes a good ball player but the yanks dont seem starved for offense.

did mrs farnsworth demand they move proctor so he can get the ball in meaningful situations??

proctor,despite his obvious mediocrity,did serve a valued purpose for joe torre and now he will have to trust someone else to come in after clemens and mussina fail to reach the 6th

this isnt a sign of surrender and doesnt kill us, but it does leave one scratching their head. I dont like the idea of taking away our biggest innings eater out of the pen while another relief arm has been sucking and sulking and then not replacing them with anything but rookies. Now if our manager were any different, I wouldnt react this way. I think we have some nice minor league options who could be very effective if given a chance, but Torre refuses to use them and then sets them up to fail. It doesnt make much sense.

Now if they told Torre that he had a quota for innings to give to guys like Edwar, Ohlendorf, or Joba and that he couldnt go under or over that quota, then maybe, just maybe, our pen could improve. But if Cash just activates Joba and lets Torre do his thing, Joba will either end up hurt or sucking.

iSeenHippos
08-02-2007, 12:10 AM
The new look Yankees?

http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drd200/d219/d219114ot0b.jpg

You are an idiot when it comes to baseball, it's no surprise the same holds true with your musical taste.

ORS
08-02-2007, 06:15 AM
You are an idiot when it comes to baseball, it's no surprise the same holds true with your musical taste.
And you are just a plain old idiot when it comes to everything, so it's no surprise that went over your head.

lasorda's speed dial
08-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Proctor threw one pitch last night.

He Hate Me
08-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Proctor threw one pitch last night.

probably went back to the bullpen and threw 30 more pitches out of habit.

lasorda's speed dial
08-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Meat HR in his first AB. Fucker.

jacksonianmarch
08-04-2007, 02:52 PM
2 hits today as well.

YAZMAN
08-04-2007, 03:55 PM
The new look Yankees?

Does Chynna pitch? I'd hit that.

yankees228
08-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Proctor has been very good so far with the Dodgers. 7.2 innings, 3 hits, 1 earned run. He also got the win yesterday.

For the record, I'm not trying to make any point here, just saying he's done well so far. I always liked Proctor, so I'm happy for him.