PDA

View Full Version : Abreu

Soxfan#1
08-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Are the Yanks gonna pick up his option next year? I haven't been following his stats, but its a $16 million option. If I were Theo I would be all over him if we could unload Drew. It would probably mean the end of Lowell.

Or the Sox could pick him up, move Youk to third, Move Papi to first and Manny or Abreu to the DH role.

Moving Papi to play every day would be a hard ordeal to put up with.

Gom
08-11-2007, 09:12 PM
No way the Yankees will pick up that option. No way the Sox pick him up either. Where do you put him? Ortiz is a DH period. Drew is stuck there, so is Crisp. Maybe left field, but I doubt it. He will sign somewhere for 7-9 mil a year.

yankees228
08-11-2007, 09:32 PM
No way the Yankees will pick up that option. No way the Sox pick him up either. Where do you put him? Ortiz is a DH period. Drew is stuck there, so is Crisp. Maybe left field, but I doubt it. He will sign somewhere for 7-9 mil a year.

With the money guys are making Bobby is definitely going to make 10+ a year. With that being said, I don't think the Yankees pick up his option, but I wouldn't mind him resigning here for three years or so.

Gom
08-11-2007, 10:14 PM
You are not going to pay an outfielder with a .796 OPS 10+ million a year. He is 33 years old, I would like to see him back for one more season, but there are plenty of free agents with a ton more upside than Abreu.

The Yankees are going to make a huge splash in the 08/09 offseason. Mussina, Giambi, Pettitte come off the books in two years. After this season, Clemens [although he was just an expensive rental] and Abreu come off. I figure [hope] that this money saved this offseason can be used to keep Arod. However, after next season, the Yankees will have approximately $50 million to spend on free agents. I love it.

yankees228
08-11-2007, 10:16 PM
You are not going to pay an outfielder with a .796 OPS 10+ million a year. He is 33 years old, I would like to see him back for one more season, but there are plenty of free agents with a ton more upside than Abreu.

The Yankees are going to make a huge splash in the 08/09 offseason. Mussina, Giambi, Pettitte come off the books in two years. After this season, Clemens [although he was just an expensive rental] and Abreu come off. I figure [hope] that this money saved this offseason can be used to keep Arod. However, after next season, the Yankees will have approximately $50 million to spend on free agents. I love it.

And hopefully that will be enough to sign one of the trio that is Bedard, Sabathia, and Santana.

Gom
08-11-2007, 10:19 PM
I would say at least one will be a Yankee. I'm hoping Santana, of course. Can you imagine a 2009 rotation of Santana, Hughes, Chamberlain, and Kennedy? Roger Clemens rounds out the five, of course. He will pitch until 2037 at least.

yankees228
08-11-2007, 10:22 PM
I would say at least one will be a Yankee. I'm hoping Santana, of course. Can you imagine a 2009 rotation of Santana, Hughes, Chamberlain, and Kennedy? Roger Clemens rounds out the five, of course. He will pitch until 2037 at least.

Or 2057 according to that video...

Santana is obviously the one you would want, but I don't think you could go wrong either way. If I had to rank them, it would be Santana...Bedard...Sabathia, but that could easily change in two years.

jacksonianmarch
08-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Gom, I have a feeling Abreu's option will be picked up and he'll be shopped similar to sheffield. Abreu is hot right now, and with 6 weeks remaining, his numbers are on a steep incline. By the end of the season, he may very well have a .300BA and a .850-.900OPS with 20+ steals which will make him worth that 16mil. And with no other solid option internally, we may just hang onto him. I have a feeling we will be shopping Damon this offseason.

Gom
08-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Gom, I have a feeling Abreu's option will be picked up and he'll be shopped similar to sheffield. Abreu is hot right now, and with 6 weeks remaining, his numbers are on a steep incline. By the end of the season, he may very well have a .300BA and a .850-.900OPS with 20+ steals which will make him worth that 16mil. And with no other solid option internally, we may just hang onto him. I have a feeling we will be shopping Damon this offseason.

Absolutely never. Jacko, please don't drink before you perform surgery.

There isn't a single team that would take Abreu at 16-17 million for a season. No one. This isn't a Manny, or and Arod, or an Ortiz. This is a complimentary player at best. You wouldn't be able to GIVE him away for free with that salary. The Yankees would have to eat some salary just to give him away.

Now, Sheffield, when healthy, is a prime time hitter. Abreu isn't. Taking a chance on Sheffield because he is injured makes sense. It doesn't with Abreu. What team out there would be willing to give up a bucket of balls for Abreu for one year at 16-17 million? Name the team.

jacksonianmarch
08-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Absolutely never. Jacko, please don't drink before you perform surgery.

There isn't a single team that would take Abreu at 16-17 million for a season. No one. This isn't a Manny, or and Arod, or an Ortiz. This is a complimentary player at best. You wouldn't be able to GIVE him away for free with that salary. The Yankees would have to eat some salary just to give him away.

Now, Sheffield, when healthy, is a prime time hitter. Abreu isn't. Taking a chance on Sheffield because he is injured makes sense. It doesn't with Abreu. What team out there would be willing to give up a bucket of balls for Abreu for one year at 16-17 million? Name the team.

we may need to eat 3 or 4 mil, but he is much better than Drew ever was and you saw that he got at nearly the same age.

ORS
08-12-2007, 10:17 AM
we may need to eat 3 or 4 mil, but he is much better than Drew ever was and you saw that he got at nearly the same age.
Ever was? Did you get a 'roid from pulling that one out of your ass? Better this year, sure, but ever was? There's just no case to support that statement.

EDIT: Let me expand. He's clearly been a more valuable player because he takes the field more consistently, but not "much better". The talent levels are about the same. BA's best RC year was 134, JD's was 128. For RC/27 it's 9.50 for Drew, 9.30 for BA. Again, the talent is the same, but the value is in BA's favor.

jacksonianmarch
08-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Ever was? Did you get a 'roid from pulling that one out of your ass? Better this year, sure, but ever was? There's just no case to support that statement.

I meant his track record. Abreu has been the much better player over a longer period of time.

Gom
08-12-2007, 11:09 AM
They both suck. End of story.

Why eat his salary to get a prospect or two? This isn't Sheffield. Also, what team A) needs an outfielder for a one year rental [in other words, a post-season team] B) is willing to pay him 13 million for one year c) Is willing to give up valuable or semi-valuable prospects?

I would say no one.

I expect the Yankees to offer him 8 million a year for two years. If not, he's gone, and replaced quite easily. Right now he makes 15.6 million. Next year, his option is for 16 million. What do you think 16 million a year would get you?

Here is a list of the free agent outfielders after this season, with their age and salary.

Left fielders
Adam Dunn (28) - $13MM club option for '08; becomes free agent after season if traded
Geoff Jenkins (33) - $9MM club option for '08
Luis Gonzalez (40)
Barry Bonds (43)
Brad Wilkerson (31)

Center fielders
Andruw Jones (31)
Torii Hunter (32)
Corey Patterson (28)
Milton Bradley (30)
Aaron Rowand (30)
Mike Cameron (35)
Kenny Lofton (41)

Right fielders
Jermaine Dye (34)
Kosuke Fukudome (31)
Bobby Abreu (34) - $16MM club option for '08
Milton Bradley (30)
Geoff Jenkins (33) - $9MM club option for '08
Trot Nixon (34)
Jose Guillen (32) - $9MM club option for '08
Shawn Green (35) - $10MM club option for '08
Eric Hinske (30)

Not a single one of them will get 16 million a year.

jacksonianmarch
08-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Dont look now, but Bobby Abreu is putting together another fine season

.288 15HR 87RBI .366OBP .816OPS 17 steals and 95 runs. Pick up that option.

example1
08-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Dont look now, but Bobby Abreu is putting together another fine season

.288 15HR 87RBI .366OBP .816OPS 17 steals and 95 runs. Pick up that option.

this is where I start reminding people who were jumping ship that it is ALWAYS beneficial to let a whole season play out before claiming that a certain player sucks or that a team sucks. Players with a proven track record come back to their proven averages more often than not.

Do not be shocked to see JD Drew do the same next year (perhaps minus some HR power).

He Hate Me
08-24-2007, 11:17 AM
I think Abreu's option will be picked up and that they'll try to ship off Johnny somewhere next season. However, I think the brass really needs to have a sitdown with Bobby because quite frankly I think the way he loafs it sometimes is having a bad effect on Cano and Cabrera.

TheKilo
08-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I think Abreu's option will be picked up and that they'll try to ship off Johnny somewhere next season. However, I think the brass really needs to have a sitdown with Bobby because quite frankly I think the way he loafs it sometimes is having a bad effect on Cano and Cabrera.

I agree. Bobby Abreu needs to have a talk with Trot Nixon about being a dirt dog.

yankees228
08-24-2007, 05:20 PM

Who exactly do you think is going to take Damon?

yankees228
08-24-2007, 05:21 PM
I agree. Bobby Abreu needs to have a talk with Trot Nixon about being a dirt dog.

The Yankees just aren't gritty enough. That's why they're in second place. They need more .250 hitters who are willing to run through walls for their team.

TheKilo
08-24-2007, 06:05 PM
The Yankees just aren't gritty enough. That's why they're in second place. They need more .250 hitters who are willing to run through walls for their team.

EXACTLY. Thank you, this is where I'm coming from.

You're in second because you don't have a pitcher who's so prepared he gets lit up to a tune of a 4.77 ERA in his last ten starts, or a catcher who is the best gamecaller ever but hasn't thrown a basestealer out in months and also couldn't make Kyle Snyder or Jason Johnson winners.

No dirt dogs. None.

yankees228
08-24-2007, 10:22 PM
EXACTLY. Thank you, this is where I'm coming from.

You're in second because you don't have a pitcher who's so prepared he gets lit up to a tune of a 4.77 ERA in his last ten starts, or a catcher who is the best gamecaller ever but hasn't thrown a basestealer out in months and also couldn't make Kyle Snyder or Jason Johnson winners.

No dirt dogs. None.

Glad to know we're speaking the same language. When you have guys like A-Rod that are simply unwilling to dive three rows deep in the stands changes need to be made.