PDA

View Full Version : TheKilo's Bands No One Will Listen To Thread

TheKilo
09-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Mods, if you want to combine my other band threads into this one feel free.

I figured I'd make a thread giving some recommendations of my personal tastes, maybe a band a week or something, just to try to gauge the musical tastes on this board.

We'll start this off with a band I have only recently gotten into, but have seriously fallen in love with.

Kaddisfly (http://www.myspace.com/kaddisfly)

From their Wiki:

Kaddisfly is an American band from Eugene, Oregon whose style has been dubbed progressive, post-hardcore, experimental and alternative[citation needed]. The band is currently signed to Hopeless Records. They formed in 2000, taking their name from a small moth-like insect, the Caddisfly. Their lyrics are mostly about natural settings and the power of the human spirit, an unusual trait among bands on the modern rock scene. Kaddisfly is a very active band when it comes to touring, and has been doing so almost non-stop for the past few years. They have embarked on multiple nation wide tours. They recently finished the 2007 Take Action! Tour with Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and Emery, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, and A Static Lullaby. Take Action! is a nationwide tour with intentions of raising suicide awareness and prevention. This year they will be performing on the Smart Punk Stage as part of the 2007 Vans Warped Tour.

Set Sail the Prarie is awesome, but I love their first album, "Buy Our Intention, We'll Buy You a Unicorn."

rician blast
09-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Kaddisfly? Funny your first band "no one will listen to" is one I've hear a little of. Dude, I didn't realize how good these guys are, now I love this band. Some tunes remind me of Incubus, one of my favorite bands. A little bit experimental...or my preferred description is "intelligent alternative" rock.

Good call.
I like "Silk Road" off the new CD.

This is a good thread idea...maybe some rules should apply, like if someone throws a band name out there, they should try and include a link to some samples or the bands website. And we should only do 1 band at a time, otherwise it becomes a "here's my list of favorite bands" and no one gets exposed to anything. And also, don't post until you've given the other posters suggestions a listen to, and give your feedback where possible. Just thoughts, not stepping on Kilo' toes or anything.

There's a band called Greenwheel who's 2005 CD Soma Holiday is really good. Not sure what this band has been up to, but here are some links to their site and to some 30 second samples:

www.greenwheel.net

http://www.amazon.com/Soma-Holiday-Greenwheel/dp/B000066S32/ref=pd_krex_fa_t/002-3394229-7631265

TheKilo
09-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Kaddisfly? Funny your first band "no one will listen to" is one I've hear a little of. Dude, I didn't realize how good these guys are, now I love this band. Some tunes remind me of Incubus, one of my favorite bands. A little bit experimental...or my preferred description is "intelligent alternative" rock.

Good call.
I like "Silk Road" off the new CD.

This is a good thread idea...maybe some rules should apply, like if someone throws a band name out there, they should try and include a link to some samples or the bands website. And we should only do 1 band at a time, otherwise it becomes a "here's my list of favorite bands" and no one gets exposed to anything. And also, don't post until you've given the other posters suggestions a listen to, and give your feedback where possible. Just thoughts, not stepping on Kilo' toes or anything.

There's a band called Greenwheel who's 2005 CD Soma Holiday is really good. Not sure what this band has been up to, but here are some links to their site and to some 30 second samples:

www.greenwheel.net

http://www.amazon.com/Soma-Holiday-Greenwheel/dp/B000066S32/ref=pd_krex_fa_t/002-3394229-7631265

Haha, I only made the reference of "no one will listen to them" because no one ever posts in my band threads.

I like those groundrules you've set up. I think the big part is getting the feedback, in order for these suggestions to work we need to have people telling us what they like and don't like.

Good to hear you like Kaddisfly, anyway.

arbitrary
09-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Check out the latest Cave In album.

rician blast
09-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Check out the latest Cave In album.

OK, here's a link to their myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/cavein

Decent..but personally I'm not into the screaming aspect of some of their tunes.

arbitrary
09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
OK, here's a link to their myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/cavein

Decent..but personally I'm not into the screaming aspect of some of their tunes.

Vey understandable. Their latest album, Perfect Pitch Black, did a pretty good job of mixing it up between the two. I'm pretty sure they have a lot of older stuff on their myspace. A lot of those bands on the Hydra Head Label (Boston) are just fantastic.

rician blast
09-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Vey understandable. Their latest album, Perfect Pitch Black, did a pretty good job of mixing it up between the two. I'm pretty sure they have a lot of older stuff on their myspace. A lot of those bands on the Hydra Head Label (Boston) are just fantastic.

I as with my family in Boston a couple years back. We went to the Hard Rock for lunch and our waiter was a kid from a band called Hypersolid. Anyone ever hear of them?

http://www.myspace.com/hypersolid

arbitrary
09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
I as with my family in Boston a couple years back. We went to the Hard Rock for lunch and our waiter was a kid from a band called Hypersolid. Anyone ever hear of them?

http://www.myspace.com/hypersolid

Actually, yeah. The band I was in back in Boston used to play with them quite frequently.

rician blast
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Arb: I went to their myspace site and they list the band members. There used to be 2 brothers (Martin) and now only one is listed. Any clue what happened there? The one who played guitar isn't listed anymore.

Musically I like their stuff...same with Cave In, just the screaming vocals I am not into. But I understand that's a genre and I think both bands are pretty good at what they do.

TheKilo
09-18-2007, 01:29 PM
RB - Listened to Greenwheel, they were OK but not anything I'd listen to with any consistency, the vocals kind of bored me.

rician blast
09-18-2007, 01:33 PM
RB - Listened to Greenwheel, they were OK but not anything I'd listen to with any consistency, the vocals kind of bored me.

I can grasp that. They're kind of Toad-ish. The Toad "Dulcinea" album was excellent, but after listening a bunch of times, they kind of get dull. I own nothing of Greenwheel, just have 1 or 2 on my MP3 player. They're a band that would need to find a hook or edge of some sort to grab some notoriety.

TheKilo
09-18-2007, 10:49 PM
The next band I hope gains some exposure...

Mute Math (http://www.myspace.com/mutemath)

b13rc6DY74A

This video was shot in reverse, and according to their Wiki, they sometimes play it in reverse during their live shows.

Mute Math is a New Orleans rock band formed in 2003. They combine diverse elements like rock, new wave, electro, psychedelia, and jazz with ambient vocals. The group consists of Paul Meany on Rhodes piano, bass, keytar, keyboards, samples, vocals, and more recently, guitar, Darren King on drums, samples, and programming, Greg Hill on guitars and vocals, and Roy Mitchell-Cárdenas on bass guitar, upright bass, and bass drum.

rician blast
09-19-2007, 05:49 AM
I've hear that song before, I like it. My 15 yr old who plays guitar in a band with friends thinks its pretty decent as well...kind of pop, so I'll have to check out some other tunes by them...its too early in their career, IMO, to be "too" pop.

See Red
09-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Where would I have heard that song before? Because I have and I tend to listen either to my iPod, country stations, or sports talk radio, so I'm not sure where. Is it in a commercial or anything?

TheKilo
09-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Where would I have heard that song before? Because I have and I tend to listen either to my iPod, country stations, or sports talk radio, so I'm not sure where. Is it in a commercial or anything?

It's on the radio.

BTW, they covered the Transformers theme.

rician blast
09-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Saosin. Another emo-type band...I like this band a lot, they've written some great tunes..my only issue is that their sound has become very common. Links and bio below:

http://www.saosin.com/news.aspx

http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/saosin/albums.jhtml?albumId=1344073

California-based Saosin burst onto the post-hardcore scene in March 2003 with their explosive screamo-tinged debut EP, Translating the Name, on Death Do Us Part. For the recording, the band was comprised of vocalist Anthony Green, former Slayer guitar tech and drummer Pat McGrath, guitarist/vocalist Justin Shekoski (ex-As Hope Dies), and former Open Hand members bassist Zach Kennedy and guitarist/vocalist Beau Burchell. The band's name comes from a Chinese proverb that means "small heart," as in love cautiously. Shortly after the EP's completion, Kennedy exited (going on to join Ashlee Simpson's band) to be replaced by Chris Sorenson, and since McGrath had been enlisted solely to play drums on the album, Saosin weren't solidified until that July with the addition of permanent drummer Alex Rodriguez (also formerly of Open Hand).

Even though Translating had been out since March, the band didn't make its on-stage debut until June. Their powerful live performance and heavy Internet presence were coupled with high praise for their EP (comparing them to the emotional catharsis of Glassjaw), cultivating an impressive underground following. The guys hit the road nationwide that summer with Boys Night Out and Anatomy of a Ghost. Green parted ways with the band in February 2004 for personal reasons, later going on to front the emo/post-hardcore outfit Circa Survive. The other bandmembers pressed on without him, however, and though they had yet to find a permanent replacement, stayed true to their Warped Tour obligation with Story of the Year's Phil Sneed taking the mike. By the summer's end, Cove Reber had become the band's new singer. Saosin spent time on winter's Taste of Chaos tour before hooking up with Capitol Records in March 2005. After numerous compilation appearances, a self-titled EP of demos and live cuts appeared that August; summer was spent on co-headlining dates with Anberlin. Saosin continued work on their eponymous full-length debut with Howard Benson, finally releasing the long-awaited disc in September 2006. Plenty of touring followed well into the next year, including dates with bands like Senses Fail, Bleeding Through, A Static Lullaby, and Poison the Well. ~ Corey Apar, All Music Guide

TheKilo
09-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Saosin. Another emo-type band...I like this band a lot, they've written some great tunes..my only issue is that their sound has become very common. Links and bio below:

http://www.saosin.com/news.aspx

http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/saosin/albums.jhtml?albumId=1344073

California-based Saosin burst onto the post-hardcore scene in March 2003 with their explosive screamo-tinged debut EP, Translating the Name, on Death Do Us Part. For the recording, the band was comprised of vocalist Anthony Green, former Slayer guitar tech and drummer Pat McGrath, guitarist/vocalist Justin Shekoski (ex-As Hope Dies), and former Open Hand members bassist Zach Kennedy and guitarist/vocalist Beau Burchell. The band's name comes from a Chinese proverb that means "small heart," as in love cautiously. Shortly after the EP's completion, Kennedy exited (going on to join Ashlee Simpson's band) to be replaced by Chris Sorenson, and since McGrath had been enlisted solely to play drums on the album, Saosin weren't solidified until that July with the addition of permanent drummer Alex Rodriguez (also formerly of Open Hand).

Even though Translating had been out since March, the band didn't make its on-stage debut until June. Their powerful live performance and heavy Internet presence were coupled with high praise for their EP (comparing them to the emotional catharsis of Glassjaw), cultivating an impressive underground following. The guys hit the road nationwide that summer with Boys Night Out and Anatomy of a Ghost. Green parted ways with the band in February 2004 for personal reasons, later going on to front the emo/post-hardcore outfit Circa Survive. The other bandmembers pressed on without him, however, and though they had yet to find a permanent replacement, stayed true to their Warped Tour obligation with Story of the Year's Phil Sneed taking the mike. By the summer's end, Cove Reber had become the band's new singer. Saosin spent time on winter's Taste of Chaos tour before hooking up with Capitol Records in March 2005. After numerous compilation appearances, a self-titled EP of demos and live cuts appeared that August; summer was spent on co-headlining dates with Anberlin. Saosin continued work on their eponymous full-length debut with Howard Benson, finally releasing the long-awaited disc in September 2006. Plenty of touring followed well into the next year, including dates with bands like Senses Fail, Bleeding Through, A Static Lullaby, and Poison the Well. ~ Corey Apar, All Music Guide

Saosin is pretty good, although the Translating the Name EP is much better than the self-titled disc.

It's mentioned in that article, but check out Circa Survive. They're fantastic.

rician blast
09-26-2007, 09:10 PM
I like Circa Survive too. One thing you can do is go to something like Amazon and when yoy sample the tunes from one band it shows "what others bought"..not that I really care what others bought, but it's good in that it'll give you samples of other similar bands (genre wise).

TheKilo
09-26-2007, 09:54 PM
YhLm4JgXd5Q

rician blast
09-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Kilo, what was that video of in your last post? At work we can't get into youtube.

TheKilo
09-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Kilo, what was that video of in your last post? At work we can't get into youtube.

Circa Survive's last single, "The Difference between Medicine and Poison is in the Dose".

I pretty much love anything Anthony Green does. He's supremely talented.

rician blast
09-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Kilo, one band I sort of like is OURS. Their "Distorted Lullabies" CD is very good. I think they are better live. I mention them because they are opening for Circa Survive on Oct. 10th at the Palladium in Worcester.

http://www.ours.net/

samples:
http://www.amazon.com/Distorted-Lullabies-Ours/dp/B00005J71U/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3394229-7631265?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1190989510&sr=8-1

Ours is Coldplay-ish, a bit more eccentric, though. Their lead singer is an extremely talented writer and performer, and is a bit "out there" I think. Feedback from friends though is that they're a kinda melancholy.

TheKilo
10-04-2007, 10:56 PM
First entry of October....is a band some of you may have heard of.

Every Time I Die (http://www.myspace.com/everytimeidie)

Just a warning, there is screaming, however I love Keith Buckley's voice, and I think it works out really well.

Every Time I Die is a five-piece metalcore/hardcore/metal band from Buffalo, New York, founded in the winter of 1998. Their sound also contains strong elements of southern rock. The band is currently signed to Ferret Music and their latest album, The Big Dirty, was released on September 4, 2007.

fjSFAHwhrqY

rician blast
10-05-2007, 08:34 AM
This band is on my son's IPOD along with Atreyu and similar bands.

Musically I like them, when I'm at the gym I can lift to this music, although it's a bit screamy for me, I haven't grown into that style yet.

TheKilo
10-05-2007, 09:19 AM
This band is on my son's IPOD along with Atreyu and similar bands.

Musically I like them, when I'm at the gym I can lift to this music, although it's a bit screamy for me, I haven't grown into that style yet.

They're good if you don't take them seriously, and they allegedly have an excellent live show.

rician blast
10-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Band of Horses

http://www.myspace.com/bandofhorses

Interesting band, my buddy has their latest CD. Elements of country, some very good vocal harmonies on a few tracks blended with what I'd call an alt-pop style.

Bio:Band of Horses, known early in its life as simply Horses, is an American indie rock band formed in Seattle by Ben Bridwell, Mat Brooke, Creighton Barrett and Rob Hampton, who were joined in February 2006 by Joe Arnone. They are currently signed to Sub Pop Records. The band often draws comparisons to the indie rock band My Morning Jacket largely due to the vocal similarities between Bridwell and My Morning Jacket lead singer Jim James. Bridwell's vocals have also been compared to Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction, early Neil Young, and Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips by All Music Guide.[1]

Band of Horses was formed by Ben Bridwell (guitar, vocals) and Mat Brooke (guitar) in 2004 after the break-up of their previous band, Carissa's Wierd. The group initially got attention from Sub Pop records after opening for Iron & Wine in Seattle area shows. In 2005, the band released their debut EP, Band of Horses Tour EP, which was sold exclusively at shows and on Sub Pop's website. Their debut full-length, Everything All the Time was recorded in 2005 with producer Phil Ek and released on March 21, 2006 to generally good reviews.[2]

On July 13, 2006, Band of Horses appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman sans Brooke. As of July 25, 2006, Mat Brooke left Band of Horses [3] to focus more on his other band, Grand Archives, who had also signed to Sub Pop.[4]

The band's second album, Cease to Begin, was released on October 9, 2007.

TheKilo
10-16-2007, 06:09 PM
One of my all time favorites, but I find they are definitely an acquired taste...

http://musicmedia.ign.com/music/image/article/701/701237/coheed-and-cambria-20060411050219035.jpg

Coheed and Cambria is a progressive rock band[1][2] from Nyack, New York. Coheed and Cambria have released three studio albums, two live albums, and various special-edition re-releases. Their albums are concept albums, revealing the plot of an overarching storyline, The Amory Wars. The band plans to release a total of five albums describing the saga The Amory Wars. To date, three studio albums have been released: The Second Stage Turbine Blade (2002), In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 (2003), and Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness (2005). These albums make up the second, third, and half of the fourth part of the four-part saga of Coheed and Cambria, respectively. The albums are being released out of sequence; the second part was released first, and the first part will be released last. The last chapter of the Coheed and Cambria story, Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow, will be released October 23, 2007.[3]

Yes, they base their albums around a sci-fi story. If you can look past that and into their music, you'll see complexity and great songwriting and musicianship. If you are just starting out with them, I suggest their albums in this order:

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3
Second Stage Turbine Blade
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star V: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

OxowWo_XV_c

dO_s48xF7Jc

0bFzBOZ9piM

http://myspace.com/coheedandcambria

I'm not a huge fan of the newer stuff, but it's still pretty good.

schillingouttheks
10-17-2007, 11:43 AM
I LOVE COHEED AND CAMBRIA. Dude. Awesome.

I like their newer stuff. A Favor House Atlantic, Blood Red Summer, and The Suffering are all up there for me.

TheKilo
10-17-2007, 12:24 PM
AFHA is the song that got me into them, but the one that made me a fan is the title track off of IKS.

I got serious chills the first time I heard that song.

GA1 is a decent album, but it really pales in comparison to the first two. Second Stage Turbine Blade is near perfection.

rician blast
10-18-2007, 11:08 AM
I really Like C&C...never would have thought of mentioning them here because I felt like they were too well known. With that in mind, one of my favorite bands the 2-3 years is:

30 Seconds to Mars
http://www.myspace.com/thirtysecondstomars

The Kill and From Yesterday are two of their best known tunes right now, but I think the Beautiful Lie CD is very deep. These guys are very good, great vocals, excellent song writing and musically they're very good. The actor Jared Leto is their founder and vocalist. They were actually formed in 1998 so they're far from a "new band".

TheKilo
10-18-2007, 01:05 PM
I really Like C&C...never would have thought of mentioning them here because I felt like they were too well known. With that in mind, one of my favorite bands the 2-3 years is:

30 Seconds to Mars
http://www.myspace.com/thirtysecondstomars

The Kill and From Yesterday are two of their best known tunes right now, but I think the Beautiful Lie CD is very deep. These guys are very good, great vocals, excellent song writing and musically they're very good. The actor Jared Leto is their founder and vocalist. They were actually formed in 1998 so they're far from a "new band".

Good find, good find.

I mostly plugged Coheed because they have a new CD coming out.

rician blast
10-18-2007, 01:19 PM
I'll hjave to be looking for the new C&C, the samples I listened to on Amazon sound great.

TheKilo
10-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I'll hjave to be looking for the new C&C, the samples I listened to on Amazon sound great.

Comes out on the 23rd.

TheKilo
10-18-2007, 11:36 PM
6KWKlq6MwkU

DE2e2Gf8NAk

TheKilo
10-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Mother Superior is one of the best tracks they've ever done.

Even if he forgot the words in the second verse.

rician blast
10-23-2007, 07:43 AM
OK, this entry doesn't technically fall into the "find" category, this band has a pretty strong following, but I'm plugging them anyway...

ALTER BRIDGE

http://www.alterbridge.com/

[Samples: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VKJ6VS/ref=s9_asin_image_3/002-3169835-5177610?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1M7AFB7Z9AZAJ6Y35G4T&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846

The new CD is pretty damn good...might be a little too mainstream for some with more eclectic tastes...I almost wonder if I'd get bored of it quickly because the hooks are apparent and the fact that it is polished...but from the samples I listened to it sounded very well put together.

Mark Tremonti (of Creed fame) is their guitarist and he sounds great in this band. It's also nice not having to listen to Stapp.

HeadOfSoxNation
10-23-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm too lazy to go back and check it out...

...but are you guys familiar with Pandora.com?

TheKilo
10-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm too lazy to go back and check it out...

...but are you guys familiar with Pandora.com?

Pandora.com is a pretty cool website.

rician blast
10-23-2007, 04:05 PM
wow, never heard of Pandora.com till mentioned here. Very cool.

I type in Ours, a band I like. I hear a tune by them then something by The Rasmus..never heard of 'em but the song was excellent...then they did a Live tune, then Interpol, lots of good shit.

See Red
10-23-2007, 04:33 PM
I love Pandora.com. It's a very cool website and I listen to it whenever I don't have my iPod handy.

TheKilo
11-15-2007, 02:27 AM
Haven't updated in a while. Next band is more on the poppy side, but I find them to be very good at what they do. Before making any rash judgments, I'd ask to give them a chance.

Cartel

Cartel is a five-member American pop-punk band from Conyers, Georgia that formed in 2003. All members have been friends since high school. Their debut full length album, Chroma put them on Alternative Press's 2005 list of "Bands You Need to Know". In March 2006, they were also named Yahoo! Music's winner in the "Who's Next" competition and a Breaker artist by AOL music.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C6yDU0o47Gk&feature=related

http://myspace.com/cartel

Listen to "Wasted". Fantastic song.

rician blast
11-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Pretty decent band is Cartel. I like the tunes Wasted and Honestly. Good catch with these guys, I'd put some of their stuff on the MP3 player.

Thumper
11-15-2007, 01:17 PM
May I suggest this shit?

ujjb5ii4tiU

I honestly cannot stand this song, or these two, whatever they are.

TheKilo
12-12-2007, 12:47 AM
I've been remiss in updating this thread. No worries though....this band is a good'un.

Anberlin

Anberlin is an American alternative rock band from Winter Haven, Florida that formed in 2002. The band consists of Stephen Christian (lead vocals), Deon Rexroat (bass guitar), Joseph Milligan (guitar), Nathan Young (drums), and Christian McAlhaney (guitar). Through constant touring and promotion via the internet, Anberlin has received much attention and press along with a large fan base. The band has released four albums and an EP in their six-year run and have sold over 350,000 albums.

http://myspace.com/anberlin

2exE-td4F3k

SkEeHWpMWdM

GgQvEedTw4c

ugozf3bsqgA

HeadOfSoxNation
12-12-2007, 01:20 AM
I've gotta be honest...I fail to see the fascination with Coheed and Cambria. Never have seen it, and I don't think I ever will. Listening to them (him?) is a chore for me.

I know I'm going to open myself up to a lot of abuse here, but that's fine...anyone heard the new Blake Lewis CD? He's the beat-boxer from American Idol this past season. The guy is extraordinarily talented...the CD isn't as good as watching him live (just like any other beat-boxer), but it's still really enjoyable because it's not overdone. He actually has musical talent besides the beats...it's like a Justin Timberlake/Jason Mraz/Rahzel kind of a thing. Worth a listen if you like any of those three. Try "Know My Name (Feat Lupe Fiasco)" or "How Many Words" first.

On another American Idol note, I was at work the other day and Chris freaking Daughtry came up to me and asked for an iPod. Sure, he's not Springsteen, but we don't get many celebs at all coming through Syracuse, NY. He was a really nice guy and stopped to talk to people for a good 20 or 30 minutes. Pretty awesome.

TheKilo
12-12-2007, 01:22 AM
I've gotta be honest...I fail to see the fascination with Coheed and Cambria. Never have seen it, and I don't think I ever will. Listening to them (him?) is a chore for me.

Fair enough. They are a band, as much as their recent promotions would have you believe Claudio is the lone member.

If you don't mind me asking, is it the voice? The lyrics? The concept?

HeadOfSoxNation
12-12-2007, 01:37 AM
Fair enough. They are a band, as much as their recent promotions would have you believe Claudio is the lone member.

If you don't mind me asking, is it the voice? The lyrics? The concept?

I actually think the concept is pretty cool...I'm not too familiar with it because I don't like the music, but some kind of trilogy album thing or something? I think that that's pretty cool.

Mainly it's the voice...I can't get past the voice to even begin to listen to the lyrics. It just sounds like a high-pitched form of torture. I've yet to hear a hook that has grabbed me in anything I've heard out of them. Nothing sticks in my head at all. I couldn't sing a lyric back to you if you offered me $1,000,000.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there must be something I'm missing because they've got such a strong following...I'm just saying, for me, it doesn't even close to do it.

TheKilo
12-12-2007, 01:40 AM
I actually think the concept is pretty cool...I'm not too familiar with it because I don't like the music, but some kind of trilogy album thing or something? I think that that's pretty cool.

Mainly it's the voice...I can't get past the voice to even begin to listen to the lyrics. It just sounds like a high-pitched form of torture. I've yet to hear a hook that has grabbed me in anything I've heard out of them. Nothing sticks in my head at all. I couldn't sing a lyric back to you if you offered me $1,000,000.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there must be something I'm missing because they've got such a strong following...I'm just saying, for me, it doesn't even close to do it.

Absolutely fair. Their concept is a five-part sci fi story, but the albums are released in the order (relating to the story) of:

2, 3, 4, 5, 1

So their last album, the fourth, concluded the story, and their next will be the introduction.

If you're looking for a place to start with them, I suggest the songs "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3", "The Crowing", "Everything Evil", and "Junesong Provision".

What do you think of Anberlin?

HeadOfSoxNation
12-12-2007, 01:48 AM
What do you think of Anberlin?

I'm not in love with them, but I like their sound. It seems like something I could really get with if I gave it some time...you know, one of those albums that you think is decent when you first get it, and then love after a couple of times through it.

TheKilo
12-12-2007, 01:58 AM
I'm not in love with them, but I like their sound. It seems like something I could really get with if I gave it some time...you know, one of those albums that you think is decent when you first get it, and then love after a couple of times through it.

Pretty much summed up my experience with them. I love the singer's vocal style, and the range they can go from (ex. Godspeed to UWCC).

TheKilo
02-07-2009, 12:21 AM
I may lose whatever internet credibility I have left, but I really like Fall Out Boy's new album.

TbxkW6xsLuo

I still find Pete Wentz really annoying.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
02-07-2009, 07:39 AM
WTF FALL OUT BOY???

Dipre
02-07-2009, 08:38 AM
You just lost whatever internet credibility you had left.....

Fall Out Boy......seriously?

TheKilo
02-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Yup. Don't take your musical tastes so seriously. I'm allowed a guilty pleasure or two.

Besides it's not ridiculous if you read the other band I've posted in this thread.

Soxfan#1
02-07-2009, 04:20 PM
He's right. Fall Out Boy holds some guilty pleasure songs in me too.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
02-07-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm allowed a guilty pleasure or two.

Coheed & Cambria and Cartel used them both up.

BigPapiEnFuego
02-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Fall Out Boy isin't a guilty pleasure band. It's a disgrace,

BoSox21
02-07-2009, 05:29 PM
ah, who gives a shit. whatever sounds good sounds good

See Red
02-07-2009, 06:26 PM
While I'm not going to say that somebody has zero taste because they like a shitty band, I will say that I find Fallout Boy and Panic at the Disco (I can't tell the two apart) to be insanely annoying. I can't find any pleasure in listening to their music. It's just not good. At all.

a-roid
02-07-2009, 06:27 PM
http://www.cafepress.com/eighthandbutler

Check out these shirts about a-rod, very funny

See Red
02-07-2009, 06:29 PM

I think you're using the word "funny" a bit loosely.

TheKilo
02-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Coheed & Cambria and Cartel used them both up.

SLAYR ROOLZ

Jacoby_Ellsbury
02-08-2009, 12:47 AM

k

SLAYR ROOLZ

They do. Grow a set and go listen to Reign In Blood.

TheKilo
02-08-2009, 12:55 AM
I don't like Slayer but I'm not going to sit here and disparage them. They're obviously good at what they do.

Coheed's been a favorite of mine for years and Cartel is pop-punk that I can tolerate. The new Fall Out Boy has some really good tracks on it, what can I say?

Jacoby_Ellsbury
02-25-2009, 08:15 AM
If you haven't listened to them already, I recommend Sixx: A.M. for you, sir Kilo.

Some samples (a lot of people have probably already heard the first song here):

Jzm5vcoXSHI

This one is a real gem IMO (takes about 10 seconds for the music to start):

t4-DyBOT0P0

And my personal favorite:

cvHuRqcElO0

TheKilo
02-25-2009, 11:04 AM
lol

Jacoby_Ellsbury
02-25-2009, 11:56 AM
What?

Let me guess - you listed this band back earlier in the thread and I missed it.

TheKilo
02-25-2009, 01:57 PM
no I'll listen later

TheKilo
09-17-2009, 09:55 PM
So, since my last recommendation went so swimmingly, let me make another recommendation.

Brand New

Brand New is an American alternative rock band from Levittown, New York. Formed in 2000, the band currently consists of lead vocalist and guitarist Jesse Lacey, guitarist Vincent Accardi, guitarist and keyboardist Derrick Sherman, bassist Garrett Tierney and drummer Brian Lane.

In the late 1990s, Jesse Lacey, Garrett Tierney, Brian Lane were all members of the band The Rookie Lot. They eventually split off from the other members of the group, and in 2000 formed Brand New in Merrick, New York. The band signed to Triple Crown Records and in 2001 released their debut studio album, Your Favorite Weapon, a pop punk record. Their second album, Deja Entendu, was released in 2003 and marked a stylistic change for the band. The album's first two singles, "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows" and "Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades", both received airplay on MTV2 and Fuse TV, entering the top 40 on the United Kingdom Singles Chart. Deja Entendu was eventually certified gold in the United States.

Brand New moved to Interscope Records and released The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me in 2006. "Jesus Christ" became their highest charting single in the US, peaking at number 30 on the Alternative Songs chart. In March 2008, the band started their own record label, named Procrastinate! Music Traitors. Their fourth album will be titled Daisy and is set to be released on September 22, 2009.

aMJIc9USE2U

gfsZJ33fK4A

(Note, this is not an official video, it is a compliation by someone else)

cKDc2lkt_mE

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Ick. I despise Cartel but they blow Brand New out of the water.

TheKilo
09-17-2009, 10:32 PM
^Hilarious

What turned them off for you, the fact that you can understand what they are saying?

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Not really, I can hear what Slayer and Megadeth and the like are saying pretty clearly.

I hate those bands because for the most part those are your textbook angsty, emo-riffic, unoriginal chickie bands you'll find in almost any 14 year old girl's 'music' section on her myspace.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-17-2009, 11:06 PM
I hate those bands because for the most part those are your textbook angsty, emo-riffic, unoriginal chickie bands you'll find in almost any 14 year old girl's 'music' section on her myspace.

Exactly I was gonna say similar. Nothing but teenage girl music.

Keeper
09-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Field Music is kind of an obscure band. I like them.

TheKilo
09-18-2009, 10:57 AM
It's a shame our resident metalheads are too close_minded and elitist. I also love how everything gets dismissed as .emo. or the like. Brand New is not close to emo.

There really is nothing worse during a music discussion than elitist metalheads. Sixx AM? Really?

Coco's Disciples
09-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I feel like I've heard Brand New before but I'm not sure. I'll check them out.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-18-2009, 12:31 PM
It's a shame our resident metalheads are too close_minded and elitist. I also love how everything gets dismissed as .emo. or the like. Brand New is not close to emo.

There really is nothing worse during a music discussion than elitist metalheads. Sixx AM? Really?

Nice job on making an incorrect generalization. I could do the same for you, you know. Maybe I could sit here and call you a tight pants, eyeliner wearing emo, but hey I don't know what you fully listen to, so I can't do that right? You don't know what I listen to 100% of the time. I may actually listen to music considered emo.

We said some shit about Brand New, not you, so chill out. No reason to get all defensive and make generalizations about someone you don't even know.

Nothing worse than having a music discussion with someone who gets all pissy when you insult a band, not even them. I've done that shit before, It makes you look like an idiot.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Did you really just call Sixx AM metal?

Paradisecity
09-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Brand New sounds like Blink 182 dumped their lead singer and picked up a low-talker.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Brand New sounds like Blink 182 dumped their lead singer and picked up a low-talker.
BUT THATS WHAT MAKES THEM ORIGINAL AND FUN

BigPapiEnFuego
09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
all the girls love a low talker

Keeper
09-18-2009, 01:55 PM

Nice Seinfeld reference.

Paradisecity
09-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Its funny to me to hear metalheads considered elitist. In my experience, the people I know who like metal are true lovers of good music who end up liking metal later and are elitist only about the type of metal they like. Even in that regard, it is a biker mentality towards other metal listeners (its not what you thrash to, its that you thrash).

On my iPod I have lots of:
Ratatat
RJD2
Chopin
NIN
Muse
Explosions in the Sky
Johnny Cash
Outkast
Frank Sinatra
Live
Guster
Barry White
Tribe Called Quest
Little Feat
Santana (live at the fillmore)
Paul Van Dyk
Charlie Parker
Stereophonics
Iron and Wine
Hot Chip
etc etc etc

Good music is good music. Music that energizes exists in all genres. But a band that sounds exactly the same as what my friends liked 10 years ago with a different type of frontman isn't that, for me, personally.

But I'm not much for vocals anyway. To be honest, how could I be considering the awfulness that comes from the mouths of most metal bands?

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-18-2009, 02:09 PM
The softest thing I have is DMB. Then Motley Crue, Sixx AM, Papa Roach, The Offspring, The Bravery, and the rest is metal.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Its funny to me to hear metalheads considered elitist. In my experience, the people I know who like metal are true lovers of good music who end up liking metal later and are elitist only about the type of metal they like. Even in that regard, it is a biker mentality towards other metal listeners (its not what you thrash to, its that you thrash).

On my iPod I have lots of:
Ratatat
RJD2
Chopin
NIN
Muse
Explosions in the Sky
Johnny Cash
Outkast
Frank Sinatra
Live
Guster
Barry White
Tribe Called Quest
Little Feat
Santana (live at the fillmore)
Paul Van Dyk
Charlie Parker
Stereophonics
Iron and Wine
Hot Chip
etc etc etc

Good music is good music. Music that energizes exists in all genres. But a band that sounds exactly the same as what my friends liked 10 years ago with a different type of frontman isn't that, for me, personally.

But I'm not much for vocals anyway. To be honest, how could I be considering the awfulness that comes from the mouths of most metal bands?

Very good post.

And If I am an Elitist metalhead I guess I shouldn't be listening to things like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Mars Volta, At The Drive In, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Jimi Hendrix, Aussitot Mort(which is screamo, or emo :o) , Explosions In The Sky, Mono, Steely Dan, Howlin Wolf, Cream, Ray Charles, A Silver Mount Zion, Sigur Ros, Earthless, Pink Floyd,
and anything else I listened to.

Paradisecity
09-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Rodrigo and Gabriela TEAR, dude.

Never thought I would see a television commerical for a CD and actually love the music on it.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-18-2009, 02:21 PM
I never knew they had a tv commercial, lol. I found about them through their cover of Metallica's Orion. Everything they have done is awesome

Emmz
09-18-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm a metalhead, and nothing close to elitist. I listen to some things people consider "emo" or whatever. Who cares, it's just a genre anyways, it's not even necessarily an insult, and it surely isn't an insult on you yourself. I listen to a good mix of MOSTLY metal, then lots of rap and other assorted rock, old, new, whatever. I even listen to old blues and country (New country sucks balls, however)

I'm not really an elitist, I tend to like most music that isn't overly mainstream. Mainstream pop music sucks more than anything, particularly the modern pop stuff. I can atleast respect 80s, 70s, 60s pop

Paradisecity
09-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah I didn't even know about their covers until I had them downloaded. I saw the commercial and I was like....really? Started sampling them on iTunes and I was floored.

Their version of Orion is very, very good.

Paradisecity
09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
I can atleast respect 80s, 70s, 60s pop

I hear you. Thats because pop wasn't really its own genre back then- it was music that fell into a specific genre that happened to also be very popular. Now there is a template for it.

Its a shame really.

Emmz
09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
True, true. Yeah most pop music now is just like. What? How do people listen to this crap?

Dipre
09-18-2009, 03:05 PM
True, true. Yeah most pop music now is just like. What? How do people listen to this crap?

Lady CaCa.Ugh.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-18-2009, 03:55 PM
So I was recently blasting some good ol' Exodus on surround sound. I came out of my room to come up down here and visit you pricks, and found that someone scribbled on the white board next to my door, in nice huge letters: 'TURN YOUR MUSIC DOWN!!!'.

I laughed. I'm probably going to blast it even louder next time.

TheKilo
09-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Nice job on making an incorrect generalization. I could do the same for you, you know. Maybe I could sit here and call you a tight pants, eyeliner wearing emo, but hey I don't know what you fully listen to, so I can't do that right? You don't know what I listen to 100% of the time. I may actually listen to music considered emo.

We said some shit about Brand New, not you, so chill out. No reason to get all defensive and make generalizations about someone you don't even know.

Exactly I was gonna say similar. Nothing but teenage girl music.

Nothing worse than having a music discussion with someone who gets all pissy when you insult a band, not even them. I've done that shit before, It makes you look like an idiot.

See above.

Maybe one day I'll grow a set like Jacoby mentions earlier and listen to Slayer. :dunno:

TheKilo
09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
And like I've said before, everyone's musical tastes are different and I can recognize the talent of a lot of the bands mentioned in this thread (I'm a huge fan of Sigur Ros).

Didn't appreciate the comments upthread and responded in kind. The purpose of this thread was to get some good music suggestions out there, anyway.

yeszir
09-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Oh did you guys ask if there were any awesome French bands that sing funny awesome songs in public? Ask and ye shall receive:

33ovVKiV6e0

RqzR-KwjlrI

Bk7B0hsk_R0

ORS
09-18-2009, 08:56 PM
I don't know, I'm creeping up in age, at least in terms of what's popular amongst young adults. This stuff is never on the radio, but they may be popular without being pop or played or whatever. Anyway, I skimmed the thread and didn't see them mentioned, but may have missed them, but if you like jam session music, like Phish, I've been listening to a bit of Widespread Panic lately. Very good.

Coco's Disciples
09-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Oh did you guys ask if there were any awesome French bands that sing funny awesome songs in public? Ask and ye shall receive:

I did ask that question, but I should have mentioned that I don't speak French. Only a minor detail to interfere with my enjoyment of those videos.

mvp 78
09-19-2009, 12:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBST71OOyrU&feature=related

msubulldogs21
09-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Kilo, (or anyone else) are you familiar with The Gaslight Anthem? They've got one of the most unique sounds I've ever heard. One of my new favorite bands.

TheKilo
09-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Never heard of them, will check them out.

Coco's Disciples
09-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Kilo do you listen to any Elephant 6 bands (I remember you dislike NMH, but there are a bunch of other good ones.)

TheKilo
09-21-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't think so.

Recommend some.

yeszir
09-21-2009, 06:54 PM
I really only like Beulah and some Neutral Milk Hotel songs

Coco's Disciples
09-21-2009, 07:03 PM
of Montreal, The Apples in Stereo, Beulah, Nana Grizol, Olivia Tremor Control, Pipes You See Pipes You Don't

Those are probably my favorites.

msubulldogs21
09-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Kilo do you listen to any Elephant 6 bands (I remember you dislike NMH, but there are a bunch of other good ones.)

What exactly is Elephant 6?

Coco's Disciples
09-21-2009, 07:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elephant_6_Recording_Company

TheKilo
09-21-2009, 07:11 PM
I hear of Montreal is really good.

Could you give me like each band's best album?

yeszir
09-21-2009, 07:14 PM

They're waaaaaay too weird for me. You might know them, they sold out and sang that "Let''s Go Outback Tonight" song for the Outback Steakhouse.

msubulldogs21
09-21-2009, 07:15 PM
They're waaaaaay too weird for me.

How so?

I've heard good things about them too, just never got around to listening to them.

yeszir
09-21-2009, 07:17 PM
How so?

I've heard good things about them too, just never got around to listening to them.

Listen to samples on Amazon

Coco's Disciples
09-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Sure thing.

of Montreal: Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
The Apples in Stereo: New Magnetic Wonder
Beulah: Handsome Western States
Nana Grizol: Love It Love It
Olivia Tremor Control: Presents: Singles and Beyond
PYSPYD: Individualized Shirts

You probably won't like all of them, but we have similar tastes so I figured I'd offer these up.

yeszir
09-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Has anyone mentioned the Avett Brothers?

Coco's Disciples
09-21-2009, 07:18 PM
They're waaaaaay too weird for me. You might know them, they sold out and sang that "Let''s Go Outback Tonight" song for the Outback Steakhouse.

Haha yeah they're really weird. And yes, they did a commercial.

msubulldogs21
09-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Never heard of them, will check them out.

These will help you out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1lq40tR72Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_bQiIZXC9I&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olwVCye_6Do&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv25hbTWM9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Leo9HSaGQ&feature=related