PDA

View Full Version : Boras hints that A-rod is likely to opt-out

yankeessuck013
10-10-2007, 12:25 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvtxJLzqmuzr1qdndQ9002Y5nYcB?slug=ap-yankees-rodriguez&prov=ap&type=lgns

Alex Rodriguez's agent hints A-Rod likely to opt out of contract and become free agent
By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
October 9, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez is ready to cash in. Again.

Agent Scott Boras hinted Tuesday that A-Rod will opt out of the final three seasons of his contract with the New York Yankees and seek a new deal in the free-agent market that will lock him up through his pursuit of Barry Bonds' home-run record.

Boras negotiated Rodriguez's record $252 million, 10-year agreement with the Texas Rangers before the 2001 season, a contract the Yankees took over when they acquired A-Rod before the 2004 season. His next deal could last for more than a decade.

"Alex wants to be in one uniform for a long, long time, if not to the end of his career," Boras said of the 32-year-old, headed to his third AL MVP Award. "I think Alex could play very reasonably until he's 45. So you're talking about a situation where we want this guy to be identified with one franchise and one uniform for a very, very long time."

Rodriguez enters next year 17th on the career home-run list with 518 and is 242 behind Bonds, who also hopes to play next season. The expected chase will be factored into the negotiation.

"That team is going to be associated with having a player in its organization that has this history, this value," Boras said, "and they're going to be able to market that and go through the varying chases and levels of passing players in his home run pursuits."

In describing how Rodriguez would benefit from free agency, Boras cited the increase in baseball revenue from $3 billion in 2000 to nearly $6 billion this year.

"The marketplace for negotiating contracts has changed so dramatically from when we negotiated in 2000 to where we negotiate in 2007," Boras said.

New York likely will approach Boras with an extension offer in the next few weeks -- Rodriguez must make his decision whether to opt out by the 10th day after the World Series ends.

Rodriguez must weigh that offer against what he could get as a free agent, keeping in mind that the market for a player in the $30 million-a-year-range is limited.

"He could opt out tomorrow if he wanted to, but I haven't discussed that with him," Boras said. "All those decisions will be made when we sit down and talk."

The Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Angels are viewed as possible destinations, although their payrolls are dwarfed by that of the Yankees.

Rodriguez is guaranteed $24 million annually by New York in each of the next three seasons. But part of that would be offset by $21,304,500 the Rangers still owe New York as part of the trade. In addition, Rodriguez is due $3 million each year by the Rangers, money that is deferred a 2 percent annual interest rate and scheduled to be paid from 2016-25.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that if Rodriguez opts out -- and the Yankees lose that $21 million subsidy -- the team would cut off negotiations.

"That would be my position, yes, that would be my very strong recommendation," he said. "There is a date and if you can make a deal before that date, fine. After that date, it becomes a much different economic animal. It makes less sense."

When Rodriguez arrived at spring training, he was coy when asked about his contract.

"I understand I have an option, but I also understand that I want to be a New York Yankee," he said, going on to add: "My goal is to go in with Derek and Mo and open the new stadium."

Closer Mariano Rivera and catcher Jorge Posada can become free agents after the World Series. Pitcher Andy Pettitte has a $16 million player option.

Rodriguez had a regular season that likely will earn him a third AL MVP award, leading the major leagues with 54 homers and 156 RBIs. But he went 4-for-15 (.267) with one RBI against Cleveland and is in an 8-for-59 (.136) postseason funk dating to 2004. He is hitless in his past 18 playoff at-bats with runners in scoring position.

New York would have to replace A-Rod's regular-season offense if he leaves.

"A lot of it depends on whether he comes back here," said first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, A-Rod's former high school teammate and offseason workout partner. "That's like a domino effect. It's a big piece of the puzzle."

ARod2212
10-10-2007, 12:31 AM
He's creating as much leverage as possible against Cashman, but it's still going to come down to the decision to sign an extension or not. He's not doing anything until the Yankees offer him something.

TheKilo
10-10-2007, 08:39 AM
He's creating as much leverage as possible against Cashman, but it's still going to come down to the decision to sign an extension or not. He's not doing anything until the Yankees offer him something.

ARod made no commitment to the Yanks whatsoever after the game the other night. He could have made things a lot easier to clear up if he said "I want to be a Yankee" or "I still want to play here" and he didn't say anything of the kind.

I do think he ends up as a Yankee next year but I'm not as confident of that as I once was.

He Hate Me
10-10-2007, 08:57 AM
ARod made no commitment to the Yanks whatsoever after the game the other night. He could have made things a lot easier to clear up if he said "I want to be a Yankee" or "I still want to play here" and he didn't say anything of the kind.

I do think he ends up as a Yankee next year but I'm not as confident of that as I once was.

I don't want him if he opts out. If he opts out, we'd have to spend almost $60M just to sign three players (ARod, Jorgie, Mo), I think that's too much even for the Yanks. Not to mention that that $30M could be better spent in '09 when Johan becomes available

Mr Crunchy
10-10-2007, 09:03 AM
the market is limited
the arod to the sox thing has life
the yanks are also high on mike lowell who is also a free agent
perhaps they swap teams,then we can move youk to 3rd and get a 1b who can hit 35hrs

TheKilo
10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
You're gonna drop $30 million on a pitcher?

I love Johan but you're always one pitch away from the end of your career...

das11209
10-10-2007, 09:19 AM
I have expressed my feelings regarding this before.

A-Rod is the best player in baseball and he might get the best money from at least 5 teams(Yankees, Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Angels). Apart from the Dodgers - all other teams have a shot to the play-offs almost every year. All these teams are big market teams with good fan base so he will get the endoresement money. Why he would be in NY when he will have to play second fiddle to captain Jeter - when he knows he is much better ball player than Jeter and each and every aspect of the game. Why he would love to be in NY - where the spotlight is always on him - surely he would like some privacy when he takes a stripper out? Why he would be in a city where the fans constantly booed him till the first game of this season - where he hits meaningless 'homeruns' and chokes in clutch?

I do not see any single reason why A-Rod would prefer NY (unlike Mo, Petite, Posada - he could not care less if Torre goes or stays) - and it will be nice if Jackson and GOM can enlighten me. On the otherhand - Lowell is a product of Yankee system - much less baggage - and will fit in great in that clubhouse.

Mr Crunchy
10-10-2007, 09:22 AM
johan was 15-13 this year with a 3.33 era
go ahead and give him 120M for 4....
didnt randy johnson have similar #s in arizona with 2 less runs earned the year the yanks got him for a mere 35M??
the best thing the sox did this year was watch johnson leave ny
that cocksucker owned us while he couldnt beat anyone else.

das11209
10-10-2007, 09:26 AM

David Ortiz must have thrown a block party out to celebrate Randy leaving NY.

He Hate Me
10-10-2007, 09:59 AM
You're gonna drop $30 million on a pitcher?

I love Johan but you're always one pitch away from the end of your career...

I wouldn't drop $30M on him, maybe $25M. I wouldn't be shocked if we gave him $30M, I mean technically we gave Roger $28M, any decent agent will use that as leverage.

YAZMAN
10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Mr. Boras, Omar is on the phone for you...

BudLight
10-10-2007, 10:44 AM
When Rodriguez arrived at spring training, he was coy when asked about his contract.

"I understand I have an option, but I also understand that I want to be a New York Yankee," he said, going on to add: "My goal is to go in with Derek and Mo and open the new stadium."

If this statement were true, why would Boras basically state the opposite now regarding A-Rod. Oh yeah, Boras is an asshalf !! Boras controls what A-Rod does, not A-Rod. While he is without a doubt the best player in the game today, I do not believe he plays for the love of the game, he's purely about the $$$$ and he has the perfect agent for that mentality.

das11209
10-10-2007, 11:17 AM
At the end of the day - A-Rod is the best player in baseball and we should go after him if we can financially. Noone would argue that he is a class act given his history (snapping the ball from Arroyo's hand to this year's 'Ha' incident at Torronto). But I would still like to have him in my team because it gives us the best chance to win. I like all those 'love of the game' stuffs - but in Kevin Costner movies not in real life. In real life successful people quite often are assholes - that's just the way it is.

BudLight
10-10-2007, 11:41 AM
At the end of the day - A-Rod is the best player in baseball and we should go after him if we can financially. Noone would argue that he is a class act given his history (snapping the ball from Arroyo's hand to this year's 'Ha' incident at Torronto). But I would still like to have him in my team because it gives us the best chance to win. I like all those 'love of the game' stuffs - but in Kevin Costner movies not in real life. In real life successful people quite often are assholes - that's just the way it is.

When agents like Boras inflate salaries to ridiculous amounts though, the game suffers. Small market teams can't compete year after year. Attendance suffers in those markets. What is A-Rod's value - whatever someone will pay - that's great except only a handful of the teams in existence can afford it. Revenues from postseason play only make it into the pockets of a few teams. I understand baseball is a business, but there also has to be a line drawn somewhere when running that business starts to hinder the enjoyment of the sport for the fans.

das11209
10-10-2007, 11:57 AM
When agents like Boras inflate salaries to ridiculous amounts though, the game suffers. Small market teams can't compete year after year. Attendance suffers in those markets. What is A-Rod's value - whatever someone will pay - that's great except only a handful of the teams in existence can afford it. Revenues from postseason play only make it into the pockets of a few teams. I understand baseball is a business, but there also has to be a line drawn somewhere when running that business starts to hinder the enjoyment of the sport for the fans.

I am not sure I completely agree with you. Now this system is not going to change like NFL where you have salary cap and all teams have equal opportunity to win. Baseball will be the story of 'haves' and 'have nots'. In spite of that - there is parity in baseball. The Yankees do make playoff every year - but Cleveland, a team of half the payroll of Boston can knock them off. DBacks and Rockies play for division while a big market team like the Mets collapses. So there is opportunity for small market teams - even though they may not be able to land A-Rod.

redsoxrules
10-10-2007, 12:14 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/sports/baseball/10boras.html?_r=2&ref=sports&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

300 mil over 10 years? I cant see any teams paying that much money

He Hate Me
10-10-2007, 12:21 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/sports/baseball/10boras.html?_r=2&ref=sports&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

300 mil over 10 years? I cant see any teams paying that much money

I actually heard 400M over 10 years on the radio this morning. :eek:

BudLight
10-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Das

I understand your point of view, but the Indians have primarily built their team from within the organization and sprinkled in a few "low cost" veterans. They have been extremely successful in locking up their young talent to multi-year contracts and hometown discounts. They are now seeing the results of those efforts. The question is can they continue to be successful in the AL Central over the next few seasons as the contracts of their superstars start to expire and begin looking elsewhere for the $$$.

das11209
10-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I am really concerned that we might loose Lowell if we sign up for A-Rod sweepstake and loose. I am not sold on Youk at all as far as offence goes. What is our option if we can't get A-Rod or Lowell?

das11209
10-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Das

I understand your point of view, but the Indians have primarily built their team from within the organization and sprinkled in a few "low cost" veterans. They have been extremely successful in locking up their young talent to multi-year contracts and hometown discounts. They are now seeing the results of those efforts. The question is can they continue to be successful in the AL Central over the next few seasons as the contracts of their superstars start to expire and begin looking elsewhere for the $$$.

Good points. Like I said before I have watched the Cleveland team developed between 2004-2006 when I watched most of their games and I think Mark Shapiro is one of the outstanding GM's with a cheap owner that hardly get much mention in the national press. Yes - it is very likely that Sizemore, Martinez et all will cash out when their time comes. What you have to remember is that Cleveland has already gone through that process losing players like Manny and Thome and they have bounced back very well in an extremely competitve AL central. If I am a betting man - I will put my money that they will be able to do it again.

BudLight
10-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Good points. Like I said before I have watched the Cleveland team developed between 2004-2006 when I watched most of their games and I think Mark Shapiro is one of the outstanding GM's with a cheap owner that hardly get much mention in the national press. Yes - it is very likely that Sizemore, Martinez et all will cash out when their time comes. What you have to remember is that Cleveland has already gone through that process losing players like Manny and Thome and they have bounced back very well in an extremely competitve AL central. If I am a betting man - I will put my money that they will be able to do it again.

It also doesn't hurt that Carl Pohlad is the anti-Steinbrenner of baseball :D in that division

redsoxrules
10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
looking at Arods career stats , if he decides to play until he's 42,43 not only would he break bonds record but could also pass pete rose on the all time hit list .

BudLight
10-10-2007, 01:14 PM
This about sums it up for me:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7318254?MSNHPHMA

TheKilo
10-10-2007, 02:14 PM
I would love to see Alex Rodriguez on this team.

That being said, I hope they re-sign Lowell and spend the remainder elsewhere and try to make deals that make the team stronger overall.

redsoxrules
10-10-2007, 02:30 PM
fuck it, re sign lowell , and sign AROD , put Arod at SS at trade lugo

das11209
10-10-2007, 02:35 PM
fuck it, re sign lowell , and sign AROD , put Arod at SS at trade lugo

I doubt that's financially possible - we still will have Manny's contract for this year and if Lugo is traded we will have to eat a lot of that stupid deal as we did with Rentaria's contract.

If they would have signed A-Gon for a year or two - we would not have had that problem now. The drama at the short-stop position continues in Boston.

BudLight
10-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Okay - just to catch up on the last couple of years or so: ARod is a purse carrying, dick sucking, bitch slapping, purple lipped bitch who now would be welcomed with open arms in Boston. Am I close?

MANNYHOF24
10-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I would love to see Alex Rodriguez on this team.

That being said, I hope they re-sign Lowell and spend the remainder elsewhere and try to make deals that make the team stronger overall.

I pretty much agree with this, while it would be fantastic to watch AROD play here, I think it would make more sense to sign Lowell, and as you said make the overall team stronger. Another huge factor also is what to do with Manny. I say we might as well keep him next seeing how it is the last year of his deal which usual means monster years. Couple that with the fact that he had a down year this year and he might go out there next year with something to prove, Manny could have a HUGE season next year. Also Ortiz should be more healthy thus being able to hit 40+ hrs and drive in 130 like in previous years. Wouldn't it be fun though to see a 3-4-5 Of Ortiz, Rodriguez, Ramirez and Drew. We would seriously win 110 games with a lineup like that.

MANNYHOF24
10-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Okay - just to catch up on the last couple of years or so: ARod is a purse carrying, dick sucking, bitch slapping, purple lipped bitch who now would be welcomed with open arms in Boston. Am I close?

Yes, everything bad about AROD has always been blown out of proportion by us just because we are looking for reason to hate the Yankees. The fact is that he is a great player and we would benefit greatly from adding him to our roster.

TheKilo
10-10-2007, 03:54 PM

I root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

Coco's Disciples
10-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Seriously, hes the best player in baseball. And as MannyHOF hinted, the playoff struggles are blown way out of proportion. Jeter, Posada, Matsui, Wang and Clemens are the goats for the Yankees in the ALDS, not ARod. He wants to come here, I'll take him.

schillingouttheks
10-10-2007, 04:01 PM

What Kilo said. I've also just hated on him because he's easy to hate when he's wearing pinstripes. I don't have anything personal against the guy, and if he decided to come to Boston, I would absolutely love it.

jacksonianmarch
10-10-2007, 04:23 PM
johan was 15-13 this year with a 3.33 era
go ahead and give him 120M for 4....
didnt randy johnson have similar #s in arizona with 2 less runs earned the year the yanks got him for a mere 35M??

Johan is in the AL and has been a top tier pitcher for awhile now. Also, he is 27 right now. So it is a bit different than Randy.

TheKilo
10-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Johan is in the AL and has been a top tier pitcher for awhile now. Also, he is 27 right now. So it is a bit different than Randy.

I think Crunchy has my view on things...in that Johan is a hell of a pitcher (a 3.33 ERA should have better than a 15-13 mark) but $30 million is an awful lot to risk on a pitcher.

ARod2212
10-10-2007, 07:59 PM

Don't worry once he reups with the Yankees he'll be back to being a clutchless, useless performer, and not a True Dirtdog.

Again there is no way Boras opts out without getting an offer from the Yankees. And you bet your ass the Yanks will offer him a shit ton of money to stay. I sincerely doubt the negotiations get past the Bronx.

TheKilo
10-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Don't worry once he reups with the Yankees he'll be back to being a clutchless, useless performer, and not a True Dirtdog.

Anyone who uses the phrase Dirt Dog when describing a player should be shot.

Again there is no way Boras opts out without getting an offer from the Yankees. And you bet your ass the Yanks will offer him a shit ton of money to stay. I sincerely doubt the negotiations get past the Bronx.

You got a link, source, anything? Or is this just pure speculation?

das11209
10-10-2007, 08:32 PM

Did you read my argument why I think all money being equal - no way he goes to the Yankees?

Cashman will eat lot of crows when he pursues A-Rod after he opts out.

ARod2212
10-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Anyone who uses the phrase Dirt Dog when describing a player should be shot. I agree, just playing off the stupid True Yankee trademark.

You got a link, source, anything? Or is this just pure speculation?
It's speculation, but based upon what I've seen and read from Cashman and Steinbrenner's public proclamations it seems to make the most sense. They want him here, they have the most money, and that's what Boras wants. Rodriguez cares about his image, and wants to be known as the greatest player ever. That'll be a much easier title to ascertain as a Yankee. If he leaves, he'll always be seen as the player that couldn't handle New York in October, and I don't think he wants that on his reputation.

mtbykr
10-12-2007, 10:10 AM
WEEI reported that Boras said that if ARod chooses to opt out he will be asking for a 12 year contract

Gom
10-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Arod isn't stupid either. Why opt out if you plan to stay? The Yankees lose 7 million a year for the next three years, money that can be allocated to another player. Plus, if the Yankees publicly state that they are out of the race for Arod, it will hurt his chances since the biggest market team is not bidding. Boras's MO is to use one team against the other. When the biggest team is out of it, it can't help his chances.

I'm not saying he stays, I'm not saying he goes. I'm saying that if he stays, it makes no sense to opt out.

jacksonianmarch
10-12-2007, 11:12 AM
There was an article a couple days ago where an "insider" said that ARod instructed Boras to not use the opt out clause regardless. ARod is giving Boras free reign to bluff and banter all he wants, but if that article is correct, ARod aint goin nowhere.

CrespoBlows
10-12-2007, 11:31 AM
WEEI reported that Boras said that if ARod chooses to opt out he will be asking for a 12 year contract

12 years? Pass.

Gom
10-12-2007, 11:42 AM
There was an article a couple days ago where an "insider" said that ARod instructed Boras to not use the opt out clause regardless. ARod is giving Boras free reign to bluff and banter all he wants, but if that article is correct, ARod aint goin nowhere.
Link? Source? Fries with that?

TheKilo
10-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Arod isn't stupid either. Why opt out if you plan to stay? The Yankees lose 7 million a year for the next three years, money that can be allocated to another player. Plus, if the Yankees publicly state that they are out of the race for Arod, it will hurt his chances since the biggest market team is not bidding. Boras's MO is to use one team against the other. When the biggest team is out of it, it can't help his chances.

I'm not saying he stays, I'm not saying he goes. I'm saying that if he stays, it makes no sense to opt out.

If Mark Cuban buys the Cuns I can't think he'll have any qualms throwing lots of dollars at Arod.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Moreno do the same for LAAAAAAAAAAA.

If the Yankees don't want ARod, that's their prerogative. But I do think Boras will want ARod to opt out to at least see what the free agent market will give him.

Money is no option to the Yankees. If they have to spend an extra $7 million to keep him they will do so.

redsoxrules
10-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Yeah so that he can stay with the same team while he breaks the HR record and possibly the hits record , BUT who the hell is gona pay 360 million for 12 years

Coco's Disciples
10-12-2007, 02:25 PM
So he'd be signed until he's 44? Oh god.

mtbykr
10-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Boras just wants to get paid until arod's 44