PDA

View Full Version : Now might be the perfect time to rebuild

jacksonianmarch
10-10-2007, 09:18 PM
You know what Yankee fans, it might be time to do something none of us ever wanted to see (except me about 3 yrs ago, but who is counting). It might be time to....REBUILD.

And we have the absolutely perfect opportunity. Looking at our rotation, we have the potential to have 3 rookies in our rotation next season. If we dont do something to change that (like resign Pettitte and then deal for Santana) then we are likely to go through a rough patch as all rookies have their inconsistencies. But overall, a rotation with Wang, Hughes, Joba, and Kennedy looks like it could really be something in a year or two. Hell, it might even be great now, but lets stay in reality here.

Our offense has 2 guys in it who look like they could be awesome players for yrs to come in Melky and Cano. But the rest of the offense is over 32 or unproven (Betemit and Duncan) and the help in the lower levels is at least 2 yrs away.

The bullpen was unproven all yr and only got more unproven with Proctor being dealt. And while some of the pitchers out there have fantastic arms, it may take awhile for them to gel and become the pitchers that they could become.

All of this is happening while the free agent market is just god awful. There is one closer worth throwing money at who is not named Mariano (Cordero). The lefty options begin and end with a 41 yr old soft tosser named Rheal. The rotation options look worse and the offensive options have 2 CFers, one who is coming off his worst season and the other who has trouble staying healthy and isnt young either. The rest of the options suck. So if we are going to "improve" it will be through the trade route and would thin out our minor league stock. All the while knowing that status quo just isnt working.

So, with the veterans trying to hold management hostage for the return of our braindead manager, why not just let these guys walk?

Mariano, Pettitte, ARod, Abreu, Posada. All arb eligible if they walk and all type A free agents. Throw in Vizcaino, who would be a type B, and you have what could amount to 5 first round picks (depending on who signs them) and 6 sandwich rounders. This doesnt include our own pick at #28. Throw in the fact that this draft is supposedly deep in prep pitching and college hitting (weak as shit in college pitching though) and we could take our pitching deep farm system and load up on long range prospects and take our relatively thin short term offensive farm and infuse some closer range talent. Plus, we would considerably decrease the average age of the team which could make this team healthier in the long run.

Now I know the yankees fans wouldnt appreciate that, but I sure as hell would. I remember the days of Guetterman, Tartabull, Pagliarulo and the rest and I dont want to slip into those days anymore. No more 1 and done playoff visits. No more AARP members. No more bullshit. Lets relive the mid 90s when the farm started pumping out HOFers and All stars and were the building blocks of trades that put us over the top. And it would drop the bandwagoners off the bus and restore the foundation of the club for yrs to come. And to those who want to stop the sox at all costs, well, I hear your point, but if we stop the sox then promptly exit with nothing but a participation banner, then fuck it. This is the best way to win it all, and if the inch deep fans dont want anything to do with it, then let em go.

Coco's Disciples
10-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Even if its a good idea, wouldn't happen.

jacksonianmarch
10-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Even if its a good idea, wouldn't happen.

I know it wouldnt happen all at once. I have a feeling half of those guys come back at least with the possibility that all of them do. I am just saying, right now might be a nice time since our projected rotation will go through some growing pains next yr.

Gom
10-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Thank you God that Jacko is in NO POSITION to affect the Yankees front office.

Dude, are you nuts? The Yankees do not rebuild under the current structure. They retool. The same goes for the Sox.

The Yankees will have up and down years, but with the new decree of building up the farm system, they won't ever have to rebuild. They brought up Hughes, Chamberlain, and Kennedy this year. The last two years, they have brought up Cano, Cabrera, and Wang. They have Sanchez, Horne, and Tabata in the wings. This year they drafted Brackman.

Now, the majority of the players won't be stars. However, I expect to see an impact player ever year for the foreseeable future. Coupled with what they have, and what they can afford, this is a 90 win team for a long, long time. Even if they lose Arod. Even when Posada and Rivera leave/retire. Even when Jeter starts sucking big time, and the post-season choke by him becomes the norm.

Why on earth do you want us to become the Pirates. Teams with big budgets fix on the fly because they CAN. Right now, we hope that Pettitte comes back. But in two years, you could be looking at a rotation that will consist of five of the following pitchers: Wang, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy, Sanchez, Horne and possibly Brackman. You will have an outfield that has Tabata and Cabrera. What is this retooling bullshit you are spewing?

You think because we have a first round pick it means something? Holy shit, the majority of first round picks don't make the majors. The entire draft isn't worth an Arod. Get real. Seriously, why support the Yankees if you are about a farm system, Jacko? You have this belief that because we got lucky with Bernie, Mariano, Jeter, etc., that it can be replicated with ease again. It's a numbers game, the more money you throw into the draft, the better your odds.

The Yankees are worth close to 3 billion dollars, when you count YES. You want them to rebuild? Why, so the owners can put more money in their pockets? What planet are you from? You are willing to let their players go for DRAFT PICKS???????

What the last few seasons have convinced me is that the "aura" of the post-season is just luck. As you add in more teams, you increase the luck factor. Simple mathematics. The Yankees were not the dominant team that they are perceived to be in the late 90's. They just had an inordinate amount of luck. That's why they won 4 of 5. It's bad luck why they lost the last seven. Looking at the big picture, they have won four WS in the thirteen years of the wild card format. So basically, 25% of the time. You know how many teams make the post-season? 8. What's that percentage? 12.5%. So they are above the curve.

They blew it. Fine. The goal is to make the post-season. After that, there is a lot of luck involved. Jeffery Maier. Flying ants. Steve Barman, etc, etc.

A team wins 94 games. They [considering none of their free agents leave] will lose a 45 year old pitcher as their only "impact" player, and have three potential replacements. Their hitters are in the prime of their careers. Seriously, do you even get it Jacko?

I'm a NEW YORK Yankee fan, not Scranton-Wilkes Barre Yankee fan. You have been spewing this shit about rebuilding and a farm system since I've been here, and you're lost. The idea of ANY FARM SYSTEM is to support the major league club. Not the other way around. You think the Twins or A's WANT to give up their stars and get draft picks? They have no choice by their edict sent from management. You think if Steinbrenner owned the Twins, that Santana would be going anywhere, or if he owned the A's that Giambi, Damon, Hudson, Mulder, or Zito would have gone anywhere? Wake up. Stop self-medicating.

What you are stating has convinced me to never get sick if you will be my doctor. Seriously.

jacksonianmarch
10-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Gom, they are old guys who could fall off the map at any point. The only guy who would be leaving who I'd really want back (ARod) may be leaving anyway.

Also, I do know the percentage. About half of all first rounders make it to the majors. BUT, with the current draft structure, who says we need to take guys who are the 16th best with the 16th pick. Remember, we have been drafting guys who are much, much better than their draft positions for 3 yrs now since we have invested more money than anyone in the draft. If you increase the picks but continually pluck the expensive, top tier players, you arent just getting first round talent, you are getting superstar talent later in the draft. This wouldnt be drafting a tweener late in the first round. This would be drafting a guy who should be going top 3 but fell 15 spots due to salary demands.

ARod2212
10-10-2007, 11:05 PM
I admire your outside the box thinking, but I can't sign off on it. There's too much talent and a chance to win next year for me to start planning for 3 years from now, and saying 'fuck it' to next season. While I think it would be awesome to build another dynastic team through the draft, it'd be tough to pass on all those guaranteed stars the next 3 seasons that we'll have.

And what are the odds on drafting somebody of Rodriguez' caliber, even if you have every pick in the 1st round?

jacksonianmarch
10-11-2007, 05:13 AM
Like I said about Rodriguez, he ultimately decides if he wants to stay, and with the recent comments by Boras and that eery look that ARod had prior to leaving the field (have you seen the pic), I dont think he is coming back. He was the last to leave the dugout as he essentially just looked around the field, at the fans, all over. I think that was his goodbye.

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Yankees dont need to rebuild. They still have Jeter, Matsui, Damon, Giambi(God I hope they can dump him) Mussina all under contract. Retool is what they do and is what they will do.

BudLight
10-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Doc, I have to disagree. A team that leads MLB in runs, Hits, OBP, SLG, AVG and RBI, that is 4th overall and 1st in the AL in HRs does not need to rebuild. Slowly infusing the young talent like they did this year with Duncan and last year with Cabrera is the way to go. These guys get some major league experience and will be ready to take over when the vets depart. The problem with the Yankees is PITCHING!!! They rely on washed up vets and have no one to properly manage the growth of their young talent. Guidry is not up to the task and although I appreciate all Joe has done, he cannot manage a pitching staff or bullpen. While I personally do not care for LaRussa, I also cannot deny the job he and Duncan have done with young pitchers in St. Louis (except Ankiel). They may be the best answer for the Yankees going forward.

Mr Crunchy
10-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Yankees dont need to rebuild. They still have Jeter, Matsui, Damon, Giambi(God I hope they can dump him) Mussina all under contract. Retool is what they do and is what they will do.

the above guys are all done my man
damon is a catalyst who cant do it every day anymore
jetsey is a 325 banjo hitter with limited range at short
mussina is a middle reliever albeit expensive and giambi and matsui are just plain finished
they should tank for a year..

the sox used to religously lead baseball in runs scored
i bet in the 86 years they failed they led baseball in scoring more than any other team
the rangers took over that mantle a few years back and they accomplished nothing either

its still pitching,always will be
softball teams never win and we here in boston know this better than most
christ
we had butch hobson hit 30hrs in the 9 hole 1 summer and didnt make the playoffs

jacksonianmarch
10-11-2007, 08:31 AM
BL, what happens if the above players who are FA's demand that Torre return or they'll go elsewhere? If they do that, then I'd shake their hand, wish them luck and take the picks.

Mr Crunchy
10-11-2007, 08:44 AM
BL, what happens if the above players who are FA's demand that Torre return or they'll go elsewhere? If they do that, then I'd shake their hand, wish them luck and take the picks.

count on some people moving on if joe leaves
some of it is just posturing but some is sincere
who is bluffing?
this is the issue

jacksonianmarch
10-11-2007, 08:47 AM
count on some people moving on if joe leaves
some of it is just posturing but some is sincere
who is bluffing?
this is the issue

I think this will be the true test of Cashman's ability. If he lets the players determine who is best for the leader of the franchise, then he is just as bad as George. Cash has been good at leaving emotions out of the picture, he needs to continue this.

BudLight
10-11-2007, 09:16 AM

Players should not and cannot dictate to a GM and owner who they want for a manager. Players play for whoever ownership deems to be the appropriate manager for their organization. Joe has had a great run in NY, he is a super person who has handled the pressure of working for the Yankees with seasoned aplomb. I respect what he has been able to accomplish despite George Steinbrenner and the Tampa mob. The team chemistry is changing, the influx of youth is paramount to the teams future success. We have been trying for 10 years now to achieve success by overpaying for mostly washed up talent. It's time for the youth movement, to grow our own. With that movement comes the reality that you need a manager who can manage the younger players. IMHO, Joe Torre is not that manager. He is very good with veterans but not with the youngsters. Again, thanks Joe for all you have done for the Yankee organization, but it's now time to move on.

YAZMAN
10-11-2007, 10:03 AM

I thought "retool" was what happened to the board when bbdoc signed up again with a different username?

YAZMAN
10-11-2007, 10:04 AM
BTW, what's up, BB?

BudLight
10-11-2007, 10:17 AM
BTW, what's up, BB?

Not much going on here Yaz. Just waiting for St. Louis to get a football team in the dome. On that note:

(From St. Louis, MO) - A seven-year old boy was at the center of a St.
Louis County courtroom drama this morning, when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.
> > > > > > >* >
> > The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat
> > him
more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him. After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.
> > > > > > > >
> > After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the
> > child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the St.
Louis Rams, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

rician blast
10-11-2007, 01:04 PM
(have you seen the pic), I dont think he is coming back. He was the last to leave the dugout as he essentially just looked around the field, at the fans, all over.

Could just be that he knew or assumed that the camera was on him...he's pretty dramatic, you know, and could have had a fine career as an actor, perhaps playing a preening, prime-time, self-absorbed, self-important athlete, who, during the playoffs, fails to come through in the clutch.

Oh wait...that's real life.

jacksonianmarch
10-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Could just be that he knew or assumed that the camera was on him...he's pretty dramatic, you know, and could have had a fine career as an actor, perhaps playing a preening, prime-time, self-absorbed, self-important athlete, who, during the playoffs, fails to come through in the clutch.

Oh wait...that's real life.

or they could have thrown a wig on him and done a lifetime special of the shemale who is never appreciated as much as heshe thinks heshe should be.

rician blast
10-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Either way, Jacks, he'd pull it off cuz "the camera loves him".

Gom
10-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Gom, they are old guys who could fall off the map at any point. The only guy who would be leaving who I'd really want back (ARod) may be leaving anyway.

Also, I do know the percentage. About half of all first rounders make it to the majors. BUT, with the current draft structure, who says we need to take guys who are the 16th best with the 16th pick. Remember, we have been drafting guys who are much, much better than their draft positions for 3 yrs now since we have invested more money than anyone in the draft. If you increase the picks but continually pluck the expensive, top tier players, you arent just getting first round talent, you are getting superstar talent later in the draft. This wouldnt be drafting a tweener late in the first round. This would be drafting a guy who should be going top 3 but fell 15 spots due to salary demands.
You don't give up talent at the major league level, ALL-STAR TALENT, for a draft pick. EVER. End of discussion.

jacksonianmarch
10-11-2007, 02:23 PM
It is 2 draft picks and it is all star talent at the end of their careers. You cannot sit there and tell me that these guys are going to be all star talent next yr. This worries me. If this was Mo at 30, then hell yeah I resign him. But this is Mo at 38, this is Posada at 37. Father time will catch up with both of them eventually and sooner rather than later.

Gom
10-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Stop smoking crack Jacko. These are All-Star players. For the 1 millionth time, we are not the Kansas City Royals.

jacksonianmarch
10-12-2007, 10:13 PM
You are right. The KC royals continually pick in the top 5 but draft late round talent for signability purposes. Then they dont sign outside talent and continually fail with the farm system that a team like the yankees should have, ie a team that choose late in rounds every yr. We dont have to go the Royals route. If you cherry pick the best players out of one draft, sign them all above slot, then you will develop a bunch of major league players and who knows, maybe an all star here and there. I just dont like the idea of locking in long term on a deal with a 37 yr old catcher and a closer who will be in his 40s when the deal he wants would finish. Take the picks, build from within and cherry pick the FAs available when needed. Hell, I'll give up the yankees #28 pick for F. Cordero (who is 6 yrs younger than Mo) lose Mo via FA and gain a mid 1st round pick and a sandwich pick.

Mr Crunchy
10-12-2007, 10:33 PM
some will stay some will go
and ny will compete next year with the young uns and a better mussina
kei igawa may produce better too

jacksonianmarch
10-12-2007, 10:36 PM
some will stay some will go
and ny will compete next year with the young uns and a better mussina
kei igawa may produce better too

I have a feeling Igawa gets converted to relief. He was very good in his first inning of work and always seemed to start strong, then get figured out later in the game. I'd put him and Rasner in the long slots and then fill the rest of the pen accordingly. Part of what killed us was having nobody slated to go a few innings out of the pen. Torre always went his set route regardless of the score and it burned out our pen.

Mr Crunchy
10-12-2007, 10:42 PM
its hardly hopeless over there
this fucking drama is the problem

jacksonianmarch
10-13-2007, 08:09 AM
The drama needs to end. I just want to know, is he or isnt he coming back. People always seem to try and blame it on the players and whathaveyou. But his teams the past few seasons have crossed the finish line absolutely exhausted and it mostly has to do with his bullpen management.

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-13-2007, 09:05 AM
the above guys are all done my man
damon is a catalyst who cant do it every day anymore
jetsey is a 325 banjo hitter with limited range at short
mussina is a middle reliever albeit expensive and giambi and matsui are just plain finished
they should tank for a year..

the sox used to religously lead baseball in runs scored
i bet in the 86 years they failed they led baseball in scoring more than any other team
the rangers took over that mantle a few years back and they accomplished nothing either

its still pitching,always will be
softball teams never win and we here in boston know this better than most
christ
we had butch hobson hit 30hrs in the 9 hole 1 summer and didnt make the playoffs
Well Jeter isn't done, Matsui hit 25 hr's this year and Damon was better the last 2 months when he was healthy. Both Giambi and Mussina are done. The problem even if they are done or not is getting rid of those contracts and they wont be able to do it. I think going foward the Yankees have Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy. I like the future of that staff.

jacksonianmarch
10-13-2007, 09:55 AM
writing Matsui off is premature at best. The guy hit 25 homers in 3/4 of a season and played the last 2 months with a knee he could barely walk on. If that knee is fixable, he will come back strong. If it isnt (like arthritis), then yeah, he is done.

ORS
10-13-2007, 10:11 AM
The drama needs to end. I just want to know, is he or isnt he coming back. People always seem to try and blame it on the players and whathaveyou. But his teams the past few seasons have crossed the finish line absolutely exhausted and it mostly has to do with his bullpen management.
What's he supposed to do? For the last 4 years he's been saddled with a rotation incapable of going deep into games consistently while still being expected to win the division and win it all.

Any you know what, next year's guy will have it no different, regardless of who it is. Hughes and Chamberlain are good for what, 150-160 IP next year, and Kennedy about 180. Good luck new guy, you'll lose your job at the end of the season too.

jacksonianmarch
10-13-2007, 12:27 PM
What's he supposed to do? For the last 4 years he's been saddled with a rotation incapable of going deep into games consistently while still being expected to win the division and win it all.

Any you know what, next year's guy will have it no different, regardless of who it is. Hughes and Chamberlain are good for what, 150-160 IP next year, and Kennedy about 180. Good luck new guy, you'll lose your job at the end of the season too.

I want a manager who is sensitive to the needs of the kids. Who wont overwork them. Who will schedule in skipped starts. This isnt Torre. Torre has a knack for "seeing what he has" early on and then going for broke until the regular season ends. That isnt the way you break in new kids. I am fine with bringing in a new manager who will be receptive to that. And if it holds us back from having another one and out in the postseason, then go ahead. The postseason isnt the goal IMO anymore. Having a renewable source of prospects and having a chance for sustained success without having to rely on aging stars is what I want. And if that takes a yr or two, then so be it.

ORS
10-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Torre has managed like the owner said, "Win it all or you're out." Coincindentally, the owner has done that. If he's given a new set of rules and relieved expectations, I have little doubt he'll do as expected.

riverside sluggers
10-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Im guessing Jacko wouldnt like this

rotoworld

Yanks To Pursue Rowand?
A source of mine with Yankee connections had some good info for me today. Much was discussed yesterday in Tampa.

For starters, the Yanks are expected to make "eye-popping" offers to retain Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera before the World Series ends. The team does not want the pair to file for free agency.

Additionally, the Yankees may make a big play for Aaron Rowand. They believe a package of Melky Cabrera, Chien-Ming Wang, and Ian Kennedy would entice the Twins for Johan Santana. That's a huge price, but doesn't seem out of line to me for the best pitcher in baseball.

example1
10-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Go ahead and deal Cabrera, Wang and Kennedy for Santana. Good luck with that one. Santana is good but that sounds like trading Soriano for A-Rod. Nice to get the best pitcher in baseball, but at the expense of a high-upside young (cheap) pitcher in Kennedy, a solid CF in Cabrera and the team's current ace, Wang.

jacksonianmarch
10-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Melky shouldnt be a deal breaker, although I think he is a fine CFer and will only get better with age and experience.

Kennedy shouldnt be a deal breaker either. I like the kid's poise and his command, but he isnt on the level of a Santana and doesnt have the stuff to ever be on that level.

That being said, Wang IS a dealbreaker. Did he suck in the postseason, absolutely. But he has won 38 games in 2 seasons while keeping his ERA below 4. He is an innings eating groundball machine. And we saw what happens when you dont have innings eaters. Dealing Wang for Santana helps us only for October, and to be honest with you, I am worried about making the playoffs first. If we can align Santana and Wang atop the rotation, we'll hang with anybody.

Paradisecity
10-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I want a manager who is sensitive to the needs of the kids. Who wont overwork them. Who will schedule in skipped starts. This isnt Torre. Torre has a knack for "seeing what he has" early on and then going for broke until the regular season ends. That isnt the way you break in new kids. I am fine with bringing in a new manager who will be receptive to that. And if it holds us back from having another one and out in the postseason, then go ahead. The postseason isnt the goal IMO anymore. Having a renewable source of prospects and having a chance for sustained success without having to rely on aging stars is what I want. And if that takes a yr or two, then so be it.

MJ this might be the most intelligent thing I've ever read in the 4,000,000 posts i've read from you.

TheKilo
10-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Melky shouldnt be a deal breaker, although I think he is a fine CFer and will only get better with age and experience.

Kennedy shouldnt be a deal breaker either. I like the kid's poise and his command, but he isnt on the level of a Santana and doesnt have the stuff to ever be on that level.

That being said, Wang IS a dealbreaker. Did he suck in the postseason, absolutely. But he has won 38 games in 2 seasons while keeping his ERA below 4. He is an innings eating groundball machine. And we saw what happens when you dont have innings eaters. Dealing Wang for Santana helps us only for October, and to be honest with you, I am worried about making the playoffs first. If we can align Santana and Wang atop the rotation, we'll hang with anybody.

Good luck getting Santana w/o CMW, unless of course you part with JOBA

jacksonianmarch
10-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Good luck getting Santana w/o CMW, unless of course you part with JOBA

I was thinking more of Cano. Joba doesnt go. Joba has better raw stuff than anyone in the game. You just dont deal that, period.

jacksonianmarch
10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I'd be alright with a deal centered around Cano, but they should expect another MLBer if they get him. Maybe Tabata and Horne.

26 to 6
10-23-2007, 11:16 AM

That is NOT a deal I would want to make.

Yes, Santana is the best pitcher in baseball right now, but considering the money he would be paid in addition to trading three young players making nothing who could play solid roles in this team. Wang and Melky already have, we've yet to see with Kennedy, but based on his starts this year I would rather hang on to him.

I'd say to Terry Ryan, "Thanks, but no thanks."

jacksonianmarch
10-23-2007, 11:20 AM
But you have to deal something of value. They have already made their choice of which guy they are gonna shoot for retaining (rumor has it, the Twins and Hunter are very close). Santana is as good as gone. And I have a feeling they will deal him this offseason. That being said, there are only a few teams who will be in on the bidding. You figure Santana will warrant a 20mil per contract. So that in and of itself eliminates 20 teams. My worry is that we lowball the twins and then the sox trump us. I'd offer something they cannot trump without seriously hurting their team.

Cano + 2 minor leaguers (Horne and Tabata).

Ellsbury and Buchholz just dont have the resume of Cano and Cano is being billed as a potential .330 30HR guy. This is what the twins need. The only way the sox trump that is to completely wipe out their prospect bank (Buchholz, Lester, Ellsbury, +) or going to DPed or Paps which they wont move. My worry is that we offer Horne, Tabata, and another prospect and watch the sox toss Buchholz and Ellsbury and watch him, Beckett, and DMats lead the way to 4 or 5 WS championships.

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Trading Cano would be a mistake IMO. Having Cano at 2nd base gives us an advantage over alot of teams. I know Santana is an ace but to part with Cano would be a mistake ESP if A-Rod departs.

jacksonianmarch
10-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Cano gives us an advantage over Santana? Without Cano, we depart in the ALDS this season. With Santana, we win the ALDS. Its that simple.

schillingouttheks
10-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Cano gives us an advantage over Santana? Without Cano, we depart in the ALDS this season. With Santana, we win the ALDS. Its that simple.

Huh? How can you do both if you're advocating the same situation for both outcomes?

jacksonianmarch
10-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Hmm, yeah, that was a goof.

ORS
10-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Santana puts you in the ALCS this year? I disagree. The Tribe had some success against him this year. He went 0-5 in 6 starts, with a 4.38 ERA. You can't tell me that undoubtedly turns the series in your favor.

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-24-2007, 07:20 AM
No its quite simple how he gives us an advantage. We get great production of a position not many other teams get. Maybe if you replace CMW (0-2 19.06 ERA) with Santana in the playoffs we might get passed the the ALDS. I wonder if Santana could play SS? Maybe instead of grounding into those double plays Santana would just strike out.

TheKilo
10-23-2008, 01:29 PM
They blew it. Fine. The goal is to make the post-season. After that, there is a lot of luck involved. Jeffery Maier. Flying ants. Steve Barman, etc, etc.

Good thing Johan Santana was a sure bet to get the Sox into the World Series...

jacksonianmarch
10-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Even if we had Johan, I dont think we make it to the ALDS. And even if we did, this team wouldnt have done enough to win the WS. Nobody cares if you get a participation banner. Only the rings matter

TheKilo
10-23-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't have time to go look, but I hope you didn't use the "Well at least we didn't miss the playoffs in 2006" argument the last few years...

jacksonianmarch
10-23-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't have time to go look, but I hope you didn't use the "Well at least we didn't miss the playoffs in 2006" argument the last few years...

I probably did. But we know what the bottom line is.