PDA

View Full Version : ARod to opt out of contract

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 09:37 PM
FUCK!

A-Rod to opt out of contract

Agent Boras notifies Yankees of free-agent intentions
Posted: Sunday October 28, 2007 10:14PM; Updated: Sunday October 28, 2007 10:12PM
By Jon Heyman, SI.com

DENVER -- Alex Rodriguez notified the Yankees Sunday that he's opting out of his record $252 million contract, SI.com has learned.

Rodriguez's decision means he will become a free agent and be able to negotiate with all clubs. Rodriguez's bombshell move will shake up the entire winter for the Yankees -- who had hoped to retain him with a big extension -- as well as other big-market clubs that will now pursue him.

Rodriguez's agent Scott Boras said he sent word of the opt-out in writing Sunday and left phone and text messages for Yankees general manager Brian Cashman. The Yankees have said that once A-Rod opts out, they wil not pursue him, since they will lose the benefit of the Texas Rangers' $30-million subsidy.

"Alex made the decision today,'' Boras said. "I thought we should notify the club.''

The Yankees were preparing an extension to his current contract for either five or six years, believed to be for close to $30 million annually. However, team officials said Boras has politely declined to meet with them in recent days, and they never presented the offer.

Rodriguez technically had until 10 days after the World Series ended to exercise his opt-out rights, which were provided in his $252 million Texas deal. However, Boras said Rodriguez felt there was no way he could make a decision to stay in that short a period of time since several situations remain unsettled, including those of Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte.

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Can I change my name now please?

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 09:41 PM
I think we have our answer. I dont think ARod wants to be in NY. No amount of money could keep him here. Fuck him then. He finally got accepted and we finally started to place the blame where it belonged (Jeter recently, Torre, management, etc instead of ARod). But now, fuck this guy. He is dead to me. Offer him arbitration, get the two picks and sign someone new. Fuck him.

Coco's Disciples
10-28-2007, 09:42 PM
I think he'll sign with the Yankees, it'll just cost them a shitload more.

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 09:45 PM
If this report is accurate, it is pretty funny. Yankee fans just keep getting kicked in the Balls.

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 09:46 PM
can tonight get any worse?

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-28-2007, 09:47 PM
He is dead to me. Offer him arbitration, get the two picks and sign someone new. Fuck him.

agreed

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 09:48 PM
I think he'll sign with the Yankees, it'll just cost them a shitload more.
Cashman would look like an ass after drawing his line in the sand.

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Cashman would look like an ass after drawing his line in the sand.

I dont want the bastard back. Consider this.

He is the highest paid player in baseball history.
He had 3 yrs left on that deal.
He was offered 5 more yrs on top of that at 30 mil a season.

And he WOULDNT EVEN MEET WITH THEM TO HEAR THE FUCKING OFFER. FUCK HIM.

GTFO ARod, you were a fucking curse. I hope you go to Boston and infect them. Asshole.

Coco's Disciples
10-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Lol curse.

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 09:55 PM
I would rather rebuild than have this jerk back on the team. FUCK HIM!

Watch, he'll end up coming back and I will have to see his shit eating grin back in pinstripes. He finally started winning us over, and NOW he has lost all of that and more.

BoSox21
10-28-2007, 09:57 PM
could be a great night for Sox fans for another reason too now...

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 09:58 PM
you dont need him. Lowell has been everything you could have asked for and more. He reminds me of Brosius, except better.

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Hes a piece of garbage. He smiled at the cameras all season long saying how much he loved it here and how much he wanted to be here but in the end he flat out lied. Its one thing if you just leave because of the money etc but dont tell me you cant make a decision because the futures of Posada, Rivera and Pettitte are undecided. Thats just bullshit. Good luck to the next team that signs this phoney piece of shit.

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Boras confirmed it on ESPN. He said that he didnt want to lock himself in without knowing who the catcher, closer and #2 pitcher would be. Does he know that he was on the Yankees? You know, the team that pays its players? Not Seattle or Texas? What a fucking asshole. We all know he opted out because he hated NY. Fuck him. He should get a shower of debris the next time he comes to NY.

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Hes a piece of garbage. He smiled at the cameras all season long saying how much he loved it here and how much he wanted to be here but in the end he flat out lied. Its one thing if you just leave because of the money etc but dont tell me you cant make a decision because the futures of Posada, Rivera and Pettitte are undecided. Thats just bullshit. Good luck to the next team that signs this phoney piece of shit.

And it better not be us. 30 mil saved is 30 mil earned. Fuck, put it into the draft this yr.

Coco's Disciples
10-28-2007, 10:05 PM
you dont need him. Lowell has been everything you could have asked for and more. He reminds me of Brosius, except better.

Much better than Brosius.

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 10:07 PM
http://confessionalpoet.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/arodisawittlescaredgirl_1.jpg

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-28-2007, 10:08 PM
And it better not be us. 30 mil saved is 30 mil earned. Fuck, put it into the draft this yr.

Yea at this point its about dignity. I'll take the 2 draft picks now and move on. Add some more pieces to the farm. With A-Rod gone you have to wonder should we really lock ourselves into a 2 or 3 year deal with Rivera or a 4 year deal with Posada? These are questions to think about as the days go by.

Sam Malone
10-28-2007, 10:09 PM
It must really suck to be a Yankee fan tonight.:lol: Imagine if A-Rod in a Red Sox uniform next year?

Coco's Disciples
10-28-2007, 10:11 PM
If he does go elsewhere, we can all hate on him and post silly pictures like above in peace and harmony!

Gom
10-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, hopefully the money will be better spent.

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Yea at this point its about dignity. I'll take the 2 draft picks now and move on. Add some more pieces to the farm. With A-Rod gone you have to wonder should we really lock ourselves into a 2 or 3 year deal with Rivera or a 4 year deal with Posada? These are questions to think about as the days go by.Can you say "youth movement" and "third place." I think that is what you will be looking at. It will be even funnier if he takes less money than the Yankees were thinking of offering. He hated Ny, the fickle fans that booed him, the petty Captain, the Captain's bootlicking Manager, the steroid bloated first baseman that had the nerve to call him out after sweeping the Red Sox in 2006. Good for him. He stuck it right up their arrogant asses.

kyahbean
10-28-2007, 10:14 PM
I think he's smart to opt out. I'm guessing he is going to have one of that largest contracts in the history of baseball. The immediate future of the Yankees isn't too positive...I think in his shoes I'd see what else was out there. The guy wants a WS ring...and I don't think he's gonna get one in the next few years if the Yanks lose any more of their players that are free agents after this year.

I'm incredibly intrigued to see what's going to happen. Shit, I'd be stoked should the Sox sign him. No doubt. I don't think we really *need* him...but it'd be interesting to see how unstoppable the Sox would be in the next few years should that deal go down....

ARod2212
10-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Fuck him. I'm so pissed off it's ridiculous.

In Miguel Cabrera we trust.

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Yea at this point its about dignity. I'll take the 2 draft picks now and move on. Add some more pieces to the farm. With A-Rod gone you have to wonder should we really lock ourselves into a 2 or 3 year deal with Rivera or a 4 year deal with Posada? These are questions to think about as the days go by.

Now is the right time to rebuild. The Yankee team, even with the rookies, would rely a whole lot on its offense in 2008. Without ARod, we go from a great offense to a good offense. And a good offense wont be able to sustain the inconsistencies we will face in our rotation. No rookie has an unscathed first full season. Even a guy like Verlander hit some bumps in the road. The only way we could contribute next yr would have been to bash our way through the regular season and see how the kids develop towards the end. If Joba becomes the lights out ace by the end of the yr, then he starts the playoffs, etc. But there will be bad starts, injuries, fatigue, etc with 2-3 rookies in the rotation. Nothing is a given and there will be huge variance from start to start. Like I said, we would have had a chance in the postseason should one of them emerge as a reliable starter come the postseason, but we now dont have the luxury to wait for that with our offense leading the way. It should be official now. Close out all negotiations. Let them all go. Watch the kids develop, draft hugely and see how we fare. Then go balls out for Santana in negotiations, fill what needs to be filled and move on. This is a unique opportunity for us. We should take it.

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Fuck him. I'm so pissed off it's ridiculous.

In Miguel Cabrera we trust.You got nothing to get him with. Plus, he's a huge dog. he makes Manny seem like Charlie Hustle.

Gom
10-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Can you say "youth movement" and "third place." I think that is what you will be looking at. It will be even funnier if he takes less money than the Yankees were thinking of offering. He hated Ny, the fickle fans that booed him, the petty Captain, the Captain's bootlicking Manager, the steroid bloated first baseman that had the nerve to call him out after sweeping the Red Sox in 2006. Good for him. He stuck it right up their arrogant asses.
He signs with the Red Sox, fine. He signs with the Angels, fine. I hope he ends up in LA or SF, where he will most likely miss the playoffs more often than he makes it.

I can't fault him for his choices, but the chances that he gets a better chance at that ring has dropped a shitload.

Sam Malone
10-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Sign Lowell and A-Rod and trade Lugo and Crisp.

kyahbean
10-28-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm picturing this as the infield:

Lowell, Arod, Pedroia, Youk.

Woah.

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 10:17 PM
It should be official now. Close out all negotiations. Let them all go. Watch the kids develop, draft hugely and see how we fare. Then go balls out for Santana in negotiations, fill what needs to be filled and move on. This is a unique opportunity for us. We should take it.You got no choice. He's spit in your face. Your franchise just lost it's biggest star. You can open the new stadium with an aging SS with no range...and...and ... possibly bobby Abreu.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sam Malone
10-28-2007, 10:18 PM
He signs with the Red Sox, fine. He signs with the Angels, fine. I hope he ends up in LA or SF, where he will most likely miss the playoffs more often than he makes it.

I can't fault him for his choices, but the chances that he gets a better chance at that ring has dropped a shitload.

The Yankees have not won a ring since 2000 and it looks like the Red Sox will have two rings since 2004. With A-Rod and the young guys on this team, he would have a better shot at getting a ring in Boston than New York.

Coco's Disciples
I'm picturing this as the infield:

Lowell, Arod, Pedroia, Youk.

Woah.

I think Rod is a 3B for good, doubt he switches back.

AlexanderTheGreat13
Now is the right time to rebuild. The Yankee team, even with the rookies, would rely a whole lot on its offense in 2008. Without ARod, we go from a great offense to a good offense. And a good offense wont be able to sustain the inconsistencies we will face in our rotation. No rookie has an unscathed first full season. Even a guy like Verlander hit some bumps in the road. The only way we could contribute next yr would have been to bash our way through the regular season and see how the kids develop towards the end. If Joba becomes the lights out ace by the end of the yr, then he starts the playoffs, etc. But there will be bad starts, injuries, fatigue, etc with 2-3 rookies in the rotation. Nothing is a given and there will be huge variance from start to start. Like I said, we would have had a chance in the postseason should one of them emerge as a reliable starter come the postseason, but we now dont have the luxury to wait for that with our offense leading the way. It should be official now. Close out all negotiations. Let them all go. Watch the kids develop, draft hugely and see how we fare. Then go balls out for Santana in negotiations, fill what needs to be filled and move on. This is a unique opportunity for us. We should take it.
I gotta be honest I poo pooed your rebuilding thread but with A-Rod gone I cant argue with it right now.

Sam Malone
10-28-2007, 10:19 PM
You got no choice. He's spit in your face. Your franchise just lost it's biggest star. You can open the new stadium with an aging SS with no range...and...and ... possibly bobby Abreu.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't forget center fielder Johnny Damon, oops, I meant DH Johnny Damon.:lol:

a700hitter
The Yankees have not won a ring since 2000 and it looks like the Red Sox will have two rings since 2004. With A-Rod and the young guys on this team, he would have a better shot at getting a ring in Boston than New York.It would be payback for poaching Damon. Oh, I forgot, they did us a favor taking that broken down relic future DH.:lol: :lol:

jacksonianmarch

if he goes to Boston, I dont think that is the case. Boston was the perfect storm that Theo waited for. Pitching came into its own just as some key offensive pieces developed and now they are set for a few yrs (until Papi and Manny fade away). If ARod signs on with them, he may hit 60 homers a season with that fence and make the transition from Manny's here and there attitude to a team of sustained brilliance. Him going to Boston would be bad. Although, I think Boston treated him worse than anyone else, and if his feelings are that easily hurt, then my money is on the west coast somewhere.

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 10:20 PM
You got no choice. He's spit in your face. Your franchise just lost it's biggest star. You can open the new stadium with an aging SS with no range...and...and ... possibly bobby Abreu.:lol: :lol: :lol:

we havent officially re-upped Abreu. I'd think long and hard about declining that option and getting the picks.

kyahbean
10-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I think Rod is a 3B for good, doubt he switches back.

I dunno...he's said in many an interview he wants to be a shortstop. Replace Lugo!

jonnythan
10-28-2007, 10:22 PM
I'd be very, very surprised if Arod isn't playing SS next season.

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 10:22 PM
I dunno...he's said in many an interview he wants to be a shortstop. Replace Lugo!

I tend to agree with the other poster. ARod isnt a SS anymore. 4 yrs at 3rd with more weight on his frame and 4 more yrs toll on his body. I dont think you can rely on him at that position anymore.

kyahbean
10-28-2007, 10:25 PM
I tend to agree with the other poster. ARod isnt a SS anymore. 4 yrs at 3rd with more weight on his frame and 4 more yrs toll on his body. I dont think you can rely on him at that position anymore.

Personally, I think he's one of the best players the game has seen in a very very long time, and I wouldn't put anything out of his league.

Just my opinion, though. B)

ARod2212
Let that fucking cock sucks piece of shit go. He's the biggest fucking phony in the world. You just want to win a World Series? This is the reason you left Texas. Go fucking leech of some other owner and never win a big game. FUCK YOU.

a700hitter
if he goes to Boston, I dont think that is the case. Boston was the perfect storm that Theo waited for. Pitching came into its own just as some key offensive pieces developed and now they are set for a few yrs (until Papi and Manny fade away). If ARod signs on with them, he may hit 60 homers a season with that fence and make the transition from Manny's here and there attitude to a team of sustained brilliance. Him going to Boston would be bad. Although, I think Boston treated him worse than anyone else, and if his feelings are that easily hurt, then my money is on the west coast somewhere.He was treated badly in Boston when he donned the enemy uniform. NY treated him badly while wearing the home team colors.

jonnythan
10-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Let that fucking cock sucks piece of shit go. He's the biggest fucking phony in the world. You just want to win a World Series? This is the reason you left Texas. Go fucking leech of some other owner and never win a big game. FUCK YOU.
Dude... if he sucks so much, why did you adopt his name?

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Let that fucking cock sucks piece of shit go. He's the biggest fucking phony in the world. You just want to win a World Series? This is the reason you left Texas. Go fucking leech of some other owner and never win a big game. FUCK YOU.I guess you'll be changing your user name?

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Sometimes it is good to have selected a name of a type of seizure.

BSN07
10-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Jacko, we been trying to tell you all year he was going to do this, called it last off season and you wouldn't hear none of it,:D Sorry just had to rub it in a but because we got into some pretty good debates over it LOL.

I think he goes to a west coast team,
LAA
LAD
SF
CHC
BOS
NYY
and I'll say FL on the biggest dark horse.

Also maybe he sees what the Yanks do with there FA, maybe if they sign them he comes back and signs for the offer they gave him.

ARod2212
10-28-2007, 10:28 PM
I guess you'll be changing your user name?
Hahah, yeah. It just bothers me so much because I've defended him a lot the last 2 years among Yankee fans, and he turns around and proves to be this piece of shit again.

kyahbean
10-28-2007, 10:28 PM
I find it hilarious how quickly Yank fans begrudge him. He's all of the sudden a cocksucker. What happens if by some strange turn of events, the Yanks resign him? He's suddenly a hero again?

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Hahah, yeah. It just bothers me so much because I've defended him a lot the last 2 years among Yankee fans, and he turns around and proves to be this piece of shit again.I think he is a fine gentleman, the biggest star in the game, and a true clutch player.

jonnythan
10-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Hahah, yeah. It just bothers me so much because I've defended him a lot the last 2 years among Yankee fans, and he turns around and proves to be this piece of shit again.
How exactly does this decision make him a piece of shit?

Honestly.

Do you want him to have some deep loyalty to New York and stay with the organization despite a lot of obvious uncertainty about the future of the club?

He's not leaving *you*. He's not breaking off some personal relationship. He's changing jobs.

kyahbean
10-28-2007, 10:31 PM
I think he is a fine gentleman, the biggest star in the game, and a true clutch player.

Not so sure about the first one...but the second two aren't far off.

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 10:31 PM
How exactly does this decision make him a piece of shit?

Honestly.

Do you want him to have some deep loyalty to New York and stay with the organization despite a lot of obvious uncertainty about the future of the club?

He's not leaving *you*. He's not breaking off some personal relationship. He's changing jobs.Nah, I think he is spitting on Yankee tradition and on their fans in particular.;)

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 10:32 PM
I find it hilarious how quickly Yank fans begrudge him. He's all of the sudden a cocksucker. What happens if by some strange turn of events, the Yanks resign him? He's suddenly a hero again?

I happen to believe Cashman when he says he wont be pursuing ARod. And I happen to believe that ARod has no intention of coming back. I think he hates NY and just wanted a chance to stick it to us in a time of need. So fuck him. If he comes back and we do bend, I hope he gets a rousing chorus of boos every single day he steps to the plate. Fuck this guy. And on top of that, the sox are about to win the WS. WTF!

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 10:33 PM
the yankees sites are GRILLING him. WOW. I havent seen this much animosity for a player...well, ever.

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 10:33 PM
I happen to believe Cashman when he says he wont be pursuing ARod. And I happen to believe that ARod has no intention of coming back. I think he hates NY and just wanted a chance to stick it to us in a time of need. So fuck him. If he comes back and we do bend, I hope he gets a rousing chorus of boos every single day he steps to the plate. Fuck this guy. And on top of that, the sox are about to win the WS. WTF!Like Red Sox fans, i don't think ARod hate NY. I think he just hates the Yankees.

kyahbean
10-28-2007, 10:34 PM
I happen to believe Cashman when he says he wont be pursuing ARod. And I happen to believe that ARod has no intention of coming back. I think he hates NY and just wanted a chance to stick it to us in a time of need. So fuck him. If he comes back and we do bend, I hope he gets a rousing chorus of boos every single day he steps to the plate. Fuck this guy. And on top of that, the sox are about to win the WS. WTF!

...............sucks to be a Yankees fan? :dunno:

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 10:34 PM
It would be funny if he signed with the Mets.

kyahbean
10-28-2007, 10:36 PM
It would be funny if he signed with the Mets.

That would be pretty funny, actually. http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p32/kyahbean/Smilies/LOL.gif

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 10:37 PM
...............sucks to be a Yankees fan? :dunno:

today, yeah. No doubt.

But hope springs eternal every april. Except in 2008 that is. When we'll watch you guys battle Toronto for the division while we fight off the O's and hard charging rays for the coveted 3rd place trophy.

Time to rebuild.

jacksonianmarch
10-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Want to hear something ironic?

ARod's first yr in a Yankee uniform- Red Sox win a WS
ARod's last yr in a Yankee uniform- Red Sox win a WS

You guys should hope we resign him.

Gom
10-28-2007, 10:44 PM
I have no animosity towards Arod. He came to play every day, was the best player in baseball by far this year, and was the primary reason we made it to the playoffs every year he was here.

However, I think he made a bad business decision. The only way this pays off for him is in Anaheim or in Boston. That's what I meant. Any other team he signs with, he's not guaranteed to make the playoffs like he was in New York.

He'll get his money, because Boras is a great negotiator. However, there is a very big chance that his enormous salary may hurt the team he signs with in getting the pieces they need to compete. His salary will look horrible in a few years. Right now, Cashman gambled with Arod and lost.

That alone should cost him his job.

ARod2212
10-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Even if he comes back, my opinion on him won't change after this. He talked and talked about how he was willing to give money back to go to a winner. How he wanted to play in New Yankee Stadium. And it was all bullshit. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on it, and I was wrong. He's a phony who's only chasing money.

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 10:48 PM
He'll get his money, because Boras is a great negotiator. However, there is a very big chance that his enormous salary may hurt the team he signs with in getting the pieces they need to compete. His salary will look horrible in a few years. Right now, Cashman gambled with Arod and lost.

That alone should cost him his job.The first call for Cashman's head. Me likey.

Gom
10-28-2007, 10:50 PM
He needs to go. He had a chance to sign Mo, Posada, and Arod to extensions. He lost the big one. He gambled and lost. He needs to go.

ARod2212
10-28-2007, 10:56 PM
He also kept Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy, Cano, Wang, Melky despite being pressured to make a splash move. And Rivera and Posada are still probably coming back. And Girardi is probably becoming the manager.

He fucked up with A-Rod, but it looks a lot like he doesn't want to be here no matter what. There was no negotiation, he just opted out. If he was looking for the most money, he would have negotiated with the Yankees until the 11th hour of his opt out window. He wants to be a Cub, I put that on the media more than Cashman at this point. He got killed, didn't want to be here anymore. That's not the GM's fault. If there were negotiations and Rodriguez still opted out, then I'd put it on Cash. But this is not on him, IMO.

Gom
10-28-2007, 11:00 PM
He and Boras wanted to talk an extension in the spring. Cashman said no, then changed his mind when he saw the monster season he was having. Now he lost him for nothing. He gambled with Posada and Rivera, and they had great years, and the team will pay for that as well with inflated salaries to keep them.

His gamble cost the Yankees a chance at the post-season next year. Time to cut the strings with this bumbling front office and start anew with someone who has a clue.

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-28-2007, 11:11 PM
This was after the Yankees clinched a playoff spot this year.

“This feels like home. It’s hard to believe that I played for another two organizations. So much has happened to me here – adversity, some success – that I feel like anything but New York feels weird for me now.”-Alex Rodriguez

Thats all you need to know

kyahbean
10-28-2007, 11:14 PM
This was after the Yankees clinched a playoff spot this year.

“This feels like home. It’s hard to believe that I played for another two organizations. So much has happened to me here – adversity, some success – that I feel like anything but New York feels weird for me now.”-Alex Rodriguez

Thats all you need to know

Of course it will feel weird. He's spent the last bunch of years getting comfortable in the club. That quote isn't him promising to stay with NY. It's him saying that he's enjoyed his years there, and if he ends up going somewhere else, it will be weird and different. So what?

I think the fans care more about loyalty to a certain club than the players do. For them, at the end of the day, it's really just a job.

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Of course it will feel weird. He's spent the last bunch of years getting comfortable in the club. That quote isn't him promising to stay with NY. It's him saying that he's enjoyed his years there, and if he ends up going somewhere else, it will be weird and different. So what?

I think the fans care more about loyalty to a certain club than the players do. For them, at the end of the day, it's really just a job.
He never had any intention of coming back so why bother calling it home? Or saying how much he loves it here. I wish he would have asked to be traded after 2006. Im well aware its just a job (to these players) but dont smile at everyone and stab everyone in the back.

jonnythan
10-28-2007, 11:18 PM
You think he'd be going anywhere if the Yankees won the series and Torre was still the manager?

kyahbean
10-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Oh, shit. Mike Lowell just said he loves playing in Boston. So, if he doesn't resign with Boston, he's a cocksucking traitor!!! :rolleyes:

Gom
10-28-2007, 11:23 PM
You think he'd be going anywhere if the Yankees won the series and Torre was still the manager?
If the Yankees won the Series he'd be here...I think. He didn't like Torre. That had no effect, and you'd have to be an idiot to think differently.

schillingouttheks
10-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Hahahahahhahahaahha, fuck yeah is all I have to say.

And I love it. He gave all of New York a gigantic "fuck you" with this. I think this was a lot more driven by shoving it back in the fans' faces for when they booed him than some of you think.

Either way, I love the shitfest that's going on in New York tonight.

Taliesin
10-28-2007, 11:28 PM
If the Yankees won the Series he'd be here...I think. He didn't like Torre. That had no effect, and you'd have to be an idiot to think differently.

Well they didn't. You know who did? The Boston Red Sox. So your smarmy obnoxious self can sit down now. 33 years of bullshit from your ilk. These are the good old days.

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 11:35 PM
It's great. Jerry Remy calling the timing of the ARod announcement as disgusting. He said that it was timed to take away from the red Sox victory. he's livid about it. Me,... I liked it.

Optimist
10-28-2007, 11:35 PM
What bullshit...this guy, and his agent, are two fake, wastes of oxygen. Opting out because you're concerned about the future in NY? Bullshit. A-Rod, please stay in the AL. You need to come back to Yankee Stadium next season and get what you deserve.

I'm surprised you Sox fans aren't angry about this attention whore deciding to make the announcement public in the middle of the clinching game.

schillingouttheks
10-28-2007, 11:37 PM
What bullshit...this guy, and his agent, are two fake, wastes of oxygen. Opting out because you're concerned about the future in NY? Bullshit. A-Rod, please stay in the AL. You need to come back to Yankee Stadium next season and get what you deserve.

I'm surprised you Sox fans aren't angry about this attention whore deciding to make the announcement public in the middle of the clinching game.

I'm happy about it because 1) it's great news, and 2) Yankees fans are twitching right now. Not only does A-Rod opt out, but the Red Sox win the world series in the same night! Does it get any better?

If the Yankees had decided to announce their new manager, then that would have been ridiculous.

a700hitter
10-28-2007, 11:40 PM
What bullshit...this guy, and his agent, are two fake, wastes of oxygen. Opting out because you're concerned about the future in NY? Bullshit. A-Rod, please stay in the AL. You need to come back to Yankee Stadium next season and get what you deserve.He'll think it's 2006 again.

I'm surprised you Sox fans aren't angry about this attention whore deciding to make the announcement public in the middle of the clinching game.A Red Sox championship coupled with negative yankee news. It is soooo special. Especially since all you petty Yankee fans have been hunkered down in front of your TV's with Manny and Ortiz voo doo dolls praying for our boys to lose. Screw you all. We are on top of the world!!!!

schillingouttheks
10-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Screw you all.

Something that Red Sox fans and A-Rod can agree on. Touche.

Taliesin
10-29-2007, 12:12 AM
He'll think it's 2006 again.

A Red Sox championship coupled with negative yankee news. It is soooo special. Especially since all you petty Yankee fans have been hunkered down in front of your TV's with Manny and Ortiz voo doo dolls praying for our boys to lose. Screw you all. We are on top of the world!!!!

Yeah....exactly.

TheKilo
10-29-2007, 12:18 AM
I think we have our answer. I dont think ARod wants to be in NY. No amount of money could keep him here. Fuck him then. He finally got accepted and we finally started to place the blame where it belonged (Jeter recently, Torre, management, etc instead of ARod). But now, fuck this guy. He is dead to me. Offer him arbitration, get the two picks and sign someone new. Fuck him.

Bitch please when has anyone EVER criticized Jeter?

TheKilo
10-29-2007, 12:25 AM
Sweet, sweet sweet schadenfreude

See Red
10-29-2007, 12:30 AM
This is the greatest night of my life. I love that he did it during the game. It didn't take anything away from the Sox win and just added to the misery Yankees fans are feeling.

Did you Yankees fans ever think you got what you deserved? This guy was the best in the business in his time in New York and until this year, you treated him like absolute shit.

riverside sluggers
10-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Can I change my name now please?

Not sure but I know "26 to 6" will :D

Ray10
10-29-2007, 01:19 AM
I loved how the Sox fans were chanting "Don't sign A-Rod" once the Sox had won.

TheKilo
10-29-2007, 01:30 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/28/2007-10-28_hank_steinbrenner_says_goodbye_to_arod.html

arbitrary
10-29-2007, 02:18 AM
I started the "Yankees Suck!" chant in the red sox bar we were at when the news was heard. It was awesome!!!

So what/who are the Yankees' options at third now?

I honestly don't want him with the red sox and don't want to see lowell as a yankee...
Arod as a red sox would seriously piss me off, maybe even more-so than when Damon became a yankee. But after seeing damon become a yankee, I could "deal" with lowell being a skankee. I'm in the business of emotions, not emotionless business.

Gom
10-29-2007, 02:20 AM
This is the greatest night of my life. I love that he did it during the game. It didn't take anything away from the Sox win and just added to the misery Yankees fans are feeling.

Did you Yankees fans ever think you got what you deserved? This guy was the best in the business in his time in New York and until this year, you treated him like absolute shit.
Are you naive to think the fans had anything to do with this decision? I am surprised that he opted out. However, this is all about money, always was.

It would not surprise me if he ended up coming back to the Yankees. It would not surprise me if he signed with the Marlins. Nothing about Arod surprises me anymore.

See Red
10-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Are you naive to think the fans had anything to do with this decision? I am surprised that he opted out. However, this is all about money, always was.

It would not surprise me if he ended up coming back to the Yankees. It would not surprise me if he signed with the Marlins. Nothing about Arod surprises me anymore.

I never said it did. I said you got what you had coming to you...

But with that said, if it was all about the money wouldn't he have listened to the Yankees offer since that's where the most money probably was? I figure that he didn't fit in in that situation and the fans didn't help.

ORS
10-29-2007, 02:46 AM

I'm guessing you didn't read Hank's declaration yet. There's a lot of bridge rebuilding to do for him to be in NY next year.

Gom
10-29-2007, 03:47 AM
I'm guessing you didn't read Hank's declaration yet. There's a lot of bridge rebuilding to do for him to be in NY next year.
Nothing surprises me about this guy. If I could ever feel sad for someone who is so insanely rich, good-looking, and the best in the world at what he does, it's Arod.

In Seattle, he had a phenomenal team, and the love of the fans. The team started to decline, so he left...and signed the largest salary in sports history with a perennial last place team. Got tired of losing, and orchestrated a trade to the Yankees.

He ripped a player [Jeter] who was one of his best friends because he couldn't understand why an inferior player got so much more love than he did. He then orchestrated a trade to that team so he could win a championship, which he never did, and was in part, one of the main reasons for their initial success [in getting there] and one of the main reasons for their failure to win the championship [post-season numbers].

Finally wins over the city and the fans for having a career year and is instrumental in one of the best in-season turnarounds in baseball history, nearly single-handedly carrying the team to the playoffs.

Now...he was poised to make more money than any baseball player in history with the most famous team in baseball. His legacy would be completed with the most storied franchise in history. The Yankees and their rival Red Sox seemed poised, with their influx of young talent, to be atop of the heap for the next 3-5 years, and he had the ability to be the determining factor and add to the rivalry, and perhaps make great theater, regardless of the outcome.

So he leaves it all.

I can't really blame the Yankees, although I would like to, but it was ultimately his decision. I think in the long run, it's the best more for the Yankees for him to go. In the short run, it's devastating. However, I just don't get the guy. Unless he signs with the Red Sox, no team can offer the greatest chance of a ring than the Yankees over the length of his contract. No team can afford to pay him his salary and field a competitive team as well as the Yankees. No city will give him the marketing opportunities that New York gives him.

This is not bitterness or anger, just incomprehension. What did he want? A fan base, that would have embraced, had embraced him, because he came around after his struggles to shine. Money? Offered. A championship? The best attempt was put forward every year.

Thank you for two MVP's in 4 years. Thank you for trying your best.

Goodbye Arod. We liked you in New York. We tried to love you. We couldn't. Not because we didn't want to. We just didn't understand you.

You'll never really understand why Jeter, Papi, Manny, Tek, Gwynn, Ripken, etc. will always be loved more than you. That's what's sad. It's not just a job, take one look at the celebration the Red Sox celebrated tonight. Not many people get to celebrate at their jobs like you have the ability to do.

Good luck Arod..maybe your travels will one day bring you the championship you claim to desire. Even then, I'm not sure you'll ever be a part of the team that won it. Just the guy who got them there.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 05:15 AM
Yankees Senior Vice President Hank Steinbrenner reiterated the club's stance to the New York Daily News.

"We're not going to back down," Steinbrenner said. "It's goodbye."

The Yankees had been constructing what figured to be a lucrative contract extension in order to keep Rodriguez, who led the Major Leagues with 54 home runs, 156 RBIs and 143 runs scored this season, batting .314 while helping the team to the AL Wild Card.

According to the report, the Yankees were never able to present the offer. Through Boras, Rodriguez -- who had said numerous times during the course of the season that he "loves" New York and wants to stay -- turned down a request to meet with club officials.

"It's clear he didn't want to be a Yankee," Hank Steinbrenner told the Daily News. "He doesn't understand the privilege of being a Yankee on a team where the owners are willing to pay $200 million to put a winning product on the field.

"I don't want anybody on my team that doesn't want to be a Yankee."

jmcc
10-29-2007, 06:06 AM
What a joke, 'the privilege of being a Yankee on a team where the owners are willing to pay 200 million dollars to ........"

They are actually trying to use the payroll thing to their P.R advantage?

BS

rician blast
10-29-2007, 06:19 AM

as soon as it was announced I posted that the time was classless...and wreaked of "pay attention to me goddamit" syndrome.

Absolutely ridiculous.

ORS
10-29-2007, 06:45 AM
You know, it's possible there's another motive. The announcement came out after Kielty's HR, when it was 4-1 in the 8th and the outcome seemed more definite. If he really just wants out of NY, perhaps it wasn't an attention grab and was timed to serve as a big middle finger to NY on the way out.

BoSox21
10-29-2007, 07:06 AM
since A-Rod is no longer a Yankee, does this really belong in the Yankee forum?....

......*chuckle*

BudLight
10-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Probably the best player of modern times, surely destined for the HOF. To the stats geek, he is the best to ever play the game, to the "fan" of the game he's the biggest asshole to ever don a MLB uniform. He wants it all, money, a ring and the adoration of the fans. He had adoration in Seattle, money in Texas and money in NY. I doubt he will ever be embraced the way he was in Seattle and IMHO that is what is most important to him, regardless of what he says. He will never figure out that there are still some who want to see players with a passion for the game and a loyalty for their team. Arod was on the Yankees roster but he was never on their team. The same will be true for wherever he signs, his ego and his agent will never allow him to be part of a team.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 07:18 AM
What a joke, 'the privilege of being a Yankee on a team where the owners are willing to pay 200 million dollars to ........"

They are actually trying to use the payroll thing to their P.R advantage?

BS

It had nothing to do with a PR thing. It had everything to do with his reasoning. He said he was unsure of who would be where and blah blah blah. I think Hank was pointing out that this team pays its players and goes out to get the very best that money can buy. So his reasoning of who will be where doesnt really hold much water.

YAZMAN
10-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Pathetic, transparent fraud. Aren't there enough cheap, bleach blonde strippers in the Bronx?

I hope when the Mets sign him, it's for less money and it all blows up in his face.

das11209
10-29-2007, 08:34 AM
We discussed it sometime back - and I was trying to tell the Yankee fans that now way he will never be back with them. He hates the Yankess the way fans turned on to him and they are Jeter's team even though Jeter is aweful in the field. When all set and done - he will probably make less money( considering endorsements) that he would have if he stayed as a Yankee. And I think he will be OK with that as long as he gets the recognition as the best player of the team as he should.

I think the cubs are the best destination for him. Lou loves him and after Boston wins twice in 4 years - Cubs will really make a push for the world series. It will be good for A-ROd to get away from AL east pressure also. The Red Sox will be in a tough situation - because the Yankees will go after Lowell with all the money they can throw at him. Oh well - I am not worried about the sox today - just gonna enjoy as much as I can.

Mr Crunchy
10-29-2007, 08:41 AM
what a fucking jerk
he already has 200M in the bank and access to another 250M if he stays
this is what the yankees always were
the circus
problem now is its a circus without winning

hal steinbrenner eh??
good
he knows all about yankee traditions and what it takes to build a team,just ask him
the year arod finally earned top billing he opts out
the year the drooling fucking retard finally gives it up he gives it up to fredo corleone
go ahead
burn your bridges hal
54/150 doesnt come along all that often and it wont easily be replaced

das11209
10-29-2007, 08:43 AM
The way everyone is saying that it is classless and disrespectful to the Red Sox. Peter Gammons is sportscenter was so mad that he disrespected the Red Sox rookies and blah blah blah. I agree it is classless from A-Rod who certainly has serious ADD problems. I do think that Red Sox fan in general does not look it as an insult - it is an added bonus to them. Even though Red Sox do not get A-Rod - it will be a great addition by substraction for them in the years to come. I would hate to be near a Yankee fan today though.

He Hate Me
10-29-2007, 08:46 AM
I love the move. The big offense has gotten us nowhere the past few years. Let this be the start of a rebuilding or retooling, whatever you want to call it. I'm willing to bite the bullet for a couple of years if it means bigger payoff down the road. Hell any fan who went through the Mel Hall, Stump Merrill years wouldn't mind this. I been hungry before, hell I remember when Matt Nokes was our only all star rep, I can be hungry again.

And please, it wasn't about the fans. He got plenty of love in Texas and Seattle.

The guy is probably the greatest overall slugger in the game today. and I thank him for the two regular season MVP's. I wish ill luck on whatever team signs him to his $300M contract the same way I laughed and wished ill luck on the Rangers when they signed him to that $250M contract.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 08:47 AM
i think this is the harbinger of things to come for us and I am okay with it. We have seen that the all star mercenary mentality did nothing for us. Shrewd moves coupled with great pitching and a very good farms system made us damn near unbeatable in the late 90s. It wasnt about an All-Star at every position. It was about a team that could outpitch you, get the clutch hits and then shut you down at the end of a game. They had a method to the madness and that method died in 04 when we went for offense and let pitching go by the wayside. Signing ARod was the cherry on top of that shitdick cake. We have a chance to get back to our roots, and we should now take it. Let all the FAs go, outclass other teams in the draft like we have for 2 yrs running and then pay through the nose for top tier pitching. No big deals for back end starters. Get the real deal or develop it yourself.

He Hate Me
10-29-2007, 08:54 AM
i think this is the harbinger of things to come for us and I am okay with it. We have seen that the all star mercenary mentality did nothing for us. Shrewd moves coupled with great pitching and a very good farms system made us damn near unbeatable in the late 90s. It wasnt about an All-Star at every position. It was about a team that could outpitch you, get the clutch hits and then shut you down at the end of a game. They had a method to the madness and that method died in 04 when we went for offense and let pitching go by the wayside. Signing ARod was the cherry on top of that shitdick cake. We have a chance to get back to our roots, and we should now take it. Let all the FAs go, outclass other teams in the draft like we have for 2 yrs running and then pay through the nose for top tier pitching. No big deals for back end starters. Get the real deal or develop it yourself.

I agree, though I'd like to see Mo, Andy and Posada retire as Yankees.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 08:56 AM
I'd rather get the picks. Let em go, offer them arbitration and get the draft picks. If we are gonna do this thing the right way, we might as well let em all go. With them, we make the playoffs and fail early. Without them, we fail in the regular season but build a self sustaining farm system that will benefit us greatly in the future.

TheKilo
10-29-2007, 08:58 AM

mmmmmm Drink it in

TheKilo
10-29-2007, 08:59 AM
You guys really think Steinbrenner lite is gonna let you rebuild?

lol

He Hate Me
10-29-2007, 09:02 AM
You guys really think Steinbrenner lite is gonna let you rebuild?

lol

I predict a trade for Johan in the winter where we give up 2 or 3 top prospects and at least 1 young guy on the ML roster.

Mr Crunchy
10-29-2007, 09:07 AM
their could be a couple of huge pix with arods departure
maybe another brian taylor or drew henson could be had

He Hate Me
10-29-2007, 09:10 AM
their could be a couple of huge pix with arods departure
maybe another brian taylor or drew henson could be had

his name is briEn Taylor

Mr Crunchy
10-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the spelling correction
some bad memories there mr yank eh?

He Hate Me
10-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the spelling correction
some bad memories there mr yank eh?

Put it this way. You remember the scene at the end of episode 3 of STar Wars where Obi is screaming at Anakin while he's injured on the ground "You were supposed to be the savior!"...well I felt the same way, just imagine Taylor with his million dollar arm broken from a stupid bar fight just a year or two after sufferign through the humiliation of a 100 win loss season...ugh

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 09:32 AM
it isnt perfect, we know that. At the same time, scouting seems to have gotten a whole lot better. And in the current scheme, the yankees can flex their financial muscle in the draft, something they didnt do back in the old days. If we get 13 picks before round 3, you can bet a good amount of those guys turn out to be major leaguers. Just take a look at our drafts from the past few yrs...

2004-
1st- Hughes
1st-comp- Poterson
1st-comp- Marquez
2nd- Brett Smith
3rd- Christian Garcia

Poterson is out of the yankee system. Brett Smith struggled in A+ and AA ball and looks like he wont make the bigs. Garcia had TJ surgery but is still a top yankee prospect. Marquez pitched well in AA and should be in AAA next yr. Hughes is a major leaguer.

Other picks of note in 2004: Michael Dunn, pick #999- the only other guy on the list still considered a prospect (now a lefty starting pitcher)

Of those top 5 picks, 1 was a great pick, and 2 of them are still considered good picks.

2005-
1st round- CJ Henry
2nd Round- JB Cox
3rd Round- Brent Gardner

Henry was a bust, but it got us Bobby Abreu, so that is kinda moot. JB Cox would have been in our bullpen this yr had he not had TJ surgery. I expect him to be a major leaguer this upcoming yr. Brett Gardner is a small speedster who will start in AAA this yr. Of the top 3, 2 have a solid chance of making the majors this upcoming yr, with one (Cox) having the potential to be a reliable player.

Other notables- Austin Jackson (8th round), and Alan Horne (11th). Both of these guys are consider top prospects in their respective positions. Horne could be a Yankee in 08 and Jackson has the potential to be as well.

1st round- Ian Kennedy
1st round comp- Joba Chamberlain
3rd round- Zach McCallister

Kennedy and Chamberlain are in the bigs and McCallister is considered one of the best lower level pitching prospects in our system (even though he struggled with fatigue late).

Other notables: Betances, Kontos, Melancon, McCutchen, Patterson, Robertson.

Once again, of the top 3 picks, no strikeouts yet. And the depth of that draft was pretty astounding.

This isnt as much the crapshoot of old when the best players got taken in the order of their ability. Just look above for the examples. Betances was considered a top 10 pick, but fell to the 8th round due to salary demands. Melancon was considered 1st round talent, but fell due to injury concerns and salary demands. Robertson was a top 2 round pick but fell because he was a draft eligible sophomore with 2 yrs of college to bargain with.

Other guys like Kontos and McCutchen were nabbed by shrewd scouting.

elsrbueno
10-29-2007, 10:02 AM
My $0.02:

1. I'm not sure the Yankees receive draft picks in A-Rod's case. Did the Dodgers get a compensation pick when Drew opted out? Did they even get the CHANCE to offer him arbritration? I'm not as well versed in the rules as I could be, but for some reason I think this is different and the same rules don't necessarily apply.

2. I honestly don't think this is about money. Sure, Scott Boras is a smart man and he knows more about the industry than I do, but if what we've read is true, that the Yankees were going to extend him for 30-ish million per season for 5 seasons I just don't see him getting MORE somewhere else. I also don't buy the BS about A-Rod being in doubt about Mo/Posada/Pettite I think that's just a convenient excuse-- the Yankees will contend next year. I think this is a pride thing. A-Rod was pissed that he was the best player in New York but didn't get the same respect as Rivera, Jeter, and countless others. My guess is that he'd like to sign somewhere where he can get paid big bucks and play shortstop. Unfortunatley like some others I don't know if A-Rod can be an elite shortstop again after not having played there and bulked up a bit, but we all know front offices don't always think logically. Personally I think the Angels makes the most sense (they need another bat, Moreno likes to spend money and take away attention from the Dodgers). Cabrera's got 1 more season on his contract, so he could be traded if A-Rod insists on playing short.

3. I can't see the Yankees rebuilding. If Cashman called the shots I'd say yes, but Hank Steinbrenner's made way too many "my team" comments to believe he's going to let Cashman make too many decisions. I think that's why Torre's gone and why the Yankees will attempt to add veterans rather than go through a rebuilding stage.

4. I'm not sure the Yankees are out of it. If I'm right about #3, and the Yankees take a "win now" mentality, they will see that there are very simply no players on the free agent market that will replace A-Rod's production. In a lineup that has a lot of declining players (Damon, Abreu, Giambi, Matsui) they could really use A-Rod's pop. I know Hank's saying goodbye but until he signs elsewhere I don't think the Yankees are truly giving up.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Drew's clause specified that the Dodgers could not offer him arbitration, therefore not allowing the Dodgers to get a pick for him. That clause is NOT in ARod's contract.

Also, in terms of Hank, he listens to Cashman. Consider the Girardi potential hire. The only guy on the Girardi bandwagon was Cashman, now everyone is. Also, Cashman was the one who made the edict of dont opt out or else you are gone. Now Hank is adopting that too. I think Hank gets it. See, George made it pretty obvious that he wanted to win while he was still functioning and it hurt the club. Hank has a long ways before he gets to where George is.

Beckett95
10-29-2007, 10:14 AM

why not sign both? :D

I think A-Rod can still play SS for 2-3 more years in his career, then after that the sox could move him back to 3rd. crazy idea I know, but imagine that lineup next year...

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Arod
Ortiz
Manny
Lowell
Drew
Youk
Varitek

a700hitter
10-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Hell any fan who went through the Mel Hall, Stump Merrill years wouldn't mind this. I been hungry before, hell I remember when Matt Nokes was our only all star rep, I can be hungry again.
During those years, the Red Sox were in last place under Butch Hobson so0 you could tolerate it, but now the Red Sox are two time Champions and we will be beating you down while you are rebuilding. Yankee fans could never stand for that.

das11209
10-29-2007, 10:32 AM
why not sign both? :D

I think A-Rod can still play SS for 2-3 more years in his career, then after that the sox could move him back to 3rd. crazy idea I know, but imagine that lineup next year...

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Arod
Ortiz
Manny
Lowell
Drew
Youk
Varitek

I don't think that is financially doable - unless you trade Manny and Lowell takes a HUGE hometown discount - both are unlikely.

By the way - what would you do with Lugo?

a700hitter
10-29-2007, 10:33 AM
I predict a trade for Johan in the winter where we give up 2 or 3 top prospects and at least 1 young guy on the ML roster.Who Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy, and maybe Cano? That would not help you long term.

das11209
10-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Can anyone post our records against Santana - I do not think he exactly shuts us down.

Beckett95
10-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't think that is financially doable - unless you trade Manny and Lowell takes a HUGE hometown discount - both are unlikely.

By the way - what would you do with Lugo?

ya it wont happen mostly cause of the finnancial issues, but i would be nice.

could always deal Lugo for some pitching or prospects

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Who Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy, and maybe Cano? That would not help you long term.

I dont see that happening at all.

a700hitter
10-29-2007, 10:46 AM
I dont see that happening at all.Neither do I, but they are the only chips thatcould get you Santana.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Can anyone post our records against Santana - I do not think he exactly shuts us down.

Last yr he won allowing 1ER in 5IP.

The three yrs prior, he was 1-1 with a 2.63ERA and 23K in 24IP.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Neither do I, but they are the only chips thatcould get you Santana.

I call bullshit. I think it depends on what is available and what Minnesota wants to do. A few factors play into this....

A. Do the twins want to deal him? This is a valid point that someone pointed out earlier. If he stays, that rotation will be dirty and they could certainly be contenders in 08.

B. What is the market. I have already pointed out that 20 teams will be disqualified solely on expense alone. That leaves a few teams in the running, namely LA, LAA, SEA, CWS, DET, CHC, NYM, NYY, BOS. Thats about it. Then it depends on who is actually in the running. I'll tell you right now that LA, LAA and BOS have the prospects to get a deal done without significantly altering their team as is currently constituted. So if the Angels make an offer of Wood, Morales, and Weaver, we are in trouble. Same with the sox and if they offer Ellsbury, Buchholz and Lester.

That being said, I think we have a trump card in Cano that no other team can offer. At the same time, I'd rather not go there, but what can you do. We also have the flexibility to offer Wang, which will also be a trump card, although I'd rather keep him. That being said, if we are willing to deal either Wang or Cano, we'd have an opportunity to get Santana without offering one of the big 3 (Kennedy, Hughes, and Joba). That should be the goal.

a700hitter
10-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I'll tell you right now that LA, LAA and BOS have the prospects to get a deal done without significantly altering their team as is currently constituted. So if the Angels make an offer of Wood, Morales, and Weaver, we are in trouble. Same with the sox and if they offer Ellsbury, Buchholz and Lester.

That being said, I think we have a trump card in Cano that no other team can offer. At the same time, I'd rather not go there, but what can you do. We also have the flexibility to offer Wang, which will also be a trump card, although I'd rather keep him. That being said, if we are willing to deal either Wang or Cano, we'd have an opportunity to get Santana without offering one of the big 3 (Kennedy, Hughes, and Joba). That should be the goal.I agree that if they offer Cano or Wang, they'll have a really good chance of geting Santana, but that would significantly change the future of your team. I don't see the Yankees offering Cano or Wang in any trade. Without that, I don't see your organization as having anything they would be willing to offer to get Santana. You are not going to get him with a tractor trailer load of Yankee relics and collectibles from the old stadium.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 11:05 AM
If we offer Wang or Cano, we essentially spare the rest of the MLB roster, which includes Kennedy, Chamberlain, and Hughes.

I would assume a deal for Cano would require one more prospect, maybe Tabata

I would assume a deal for Wang would require two, maybe Horne and Tabata.

If we dont deal those guys, then one of our trio gets moved, and that one will be Kennedy. Hughes and Chamberlain are absolutely untouchable, trust me on that one. But a deal with Kennedy at the helm would have to include our best pitching prospect (Horne), one of our best offensive prospects (Tabata) and then a long range talented prospect (like Betances). To be honest with you, I'd rather deal Wang.

a700hitter
10-29-2007, 11:07 AM
To be honest with you, I'd rather deal Wang.But he has a devastating power sinker?

He Hate Me
10-29-2007, 11:10 AM
During those years, the Red Sox were in last place under Butch Hobson so0 you could tolerate it, but now the Red Sox are two time Champions and we will be beating you down while you are rebuilding. Yankee fans could never stand for that.

the years referred to are pre Showalter years. I believe Morgan was your manager at that time. And I cant speak for anyone else, but i had no clue about the Sox and didn't really care as I was more focused on the fact that my team sucked ass.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 11:10 AM
But he has a devastating power sinker?

He does and I think he will be a solid pitcher for a long time. But dealing Cano gets rid of a middle of the order bat and dealing Kennedy gets rid of a guy who i truly think will be very, very good. It is a tough pill to swallow, dealing away young talent. We'll see. I have waffled over this one for quite some time. The best thing would be for the twins to try and win it all, and then watch him become available after next yr as a FA. Keep all the guys and get Santana with money alone.

a700hitter
10-29-2007, 11:15 AM
the years referred to are pre Showalter years. I believe Morgan was your manager at that time. And I cant speak for anyone else, but i had no clue about the Sox and didn't really care as I was more focused on the fact that my team sucked ass.The Yankee rebuilding occurred during the Showalter years, not under Merrill. In 92-94 (the rebuilding years for the Yankees), the Red Sox were managed by Butch (crackhead) Hobson and the Yankees finished well ahead of those Sox teams.

a700hitter
10-29-2007, 11:17 AM
He does and I think he will be a solid pitcher for a long time. But dealing Cano gets rid of a middle of the order bat and dealing Kennedy gets rid of a guy who i truly think will be very, very good. It is a tough pill to swallow, dealing away young talent. We'll see. I have waffled over this one for quite some time. The best thing would be for the twins to try and win it all, and then watch him become available after next yr as a FA. Keep all the guys and get Santana with money alone.When you are the Champs these decisions are much less difficult, because you are on the top of the mountain. There is little fear of a bad deal in Red Sox Nation today.

He Hate Me
10-29-2007, 11:20 AM
The Yankee rebuilding occurred during the Showalter years, not under Merrill. In 92-94 (the rebuilding years for the Yankees), the Red Sox were managed by Butch (crackhead) Hobson and the Yankees finished well ahead of those Sox teams.

Exactly, the Merrill years were so bad that any rebuilding phase would be accepted by those who went through it, ergo my reference to those who lived through the Merrill years.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 11:28 AM
When you are the Champs these decisions are much less difficult, because you are on the top of the mountain. There is little fear of a bad deal in Red Sox Nation today.

we thought the same thing after 2000 when the culture of the team died and our team slowly went from expertly built to mercenary. We are champs!! Nothing can take me down now!!

Trust me, the only thing worse than losing is watching a dynasty die. During a dynasty, you enter the season knowing and believing that you will win, and it is a shock when you dont. This season, it wasnt much of a shock, and as much as I tried to fool myself, I knew this team was flawed. It is strange. The taste of the dynasty days is still there, but it fades and watching them play now is nothing like it. You guys have the potential to have a dynasty. You have the perfect storm. Young, dominant pitching in a division that will take a hit next yr with ARod gone. Your prime opponent looks to be in rebuilding and there isnt another team out there that really will challenge you for the best in the game. The perfect storm. If you dont win another one or two in the next few seasons, it would be a shame.

a700hitter
10-29-2007, 11:31 AM
You guys have the potential to have a dynasty. You have the perfect storm. Young, dominant pitching in a division that will take a hit next yr with ARod gone. Your prime opponent looks to be in rebuilding and there isnt another team out there that really will challenge you for the best in the game. The perfect storm. If you dont win another one or two in the next few seasons, it would be a shame.From your mouth to the baseball gods ears.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 11:34 AM
And I am not blowing smoke or anything. Your team is loaded. Beckett gives you a chance to win every time out. DiceK will not be an ace IMO, but he should still be solid. And Buchholz looks like he could be pretty good. Couple that with Papelbon in the back and you have a staff that can self-sustain. This isnt like the 03 Yankees here where the average age of the rotation was 37. Losing Schilling will hurt in the postseason department, but you have a real shot at running the table for a little while. You finally pre-empted us. But as you know, when we do things right, we do things VERY right. And I think this process we are going through will produce a whole lot of winning in the future. In the meantime, you get to enjoy the victory for now.

a700hitter
10-29-2007, 11:36 AM
And I am not blowing smoke or anything. Your team is loaded. Beckett gives you a chance to win every time out. DiceK will not be an ace IMO, but he should still be solid. And Buchholz looks like he could be pretty good. Couple that with Papelbon in the back and you have a staff that can self-sustain. This isnt like the 03 Yankees here where the average age of the rotation was 37. Losing Schilling will hurt in the postseason department, but you have a real shot at running the table for a little while. You finally pre-empted us. But as you know, when we do things right, we do things VERY right. And I think this process we are going through will produce a whole lot of winning in the future. In the meantime, you get to enjoy the victory for now.On Schilling's blog, he has stated that he only wants a one year deal, and he wants to stay with the Red Sox.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 11:41 AM
I meant that losing an effective Schilling would hurt. I have a feeling that Game 2 should be the last thing burned in a Red Sox fans memory. He is ready for a monumental decline next yr.

Gom
10-29-2007, 11:57 AM
The truth is, the Yankees will more than likely offer Wang, Cabrera, and a prospect [probably Horne or Tabata] for Santana. The deal makes a lot of sense for both teams. Cabrera is a cheap replacement for Hunter, and dollar for dollar, Wang is a much better buy than Santana [due to the fact that Wang makes $9.46 a season]. The prospect will just add to the deal.

The Yankees will then most likely acquire Alan Rowand to replace Cabrera. Considering the Yankees are now flush with cash, even for them, money shouldn't be an issue.

The Yankees would then be going into next season with Santana, Pettitte, Hughes, Chamberlain, and Kennedy, with Moose as the alternate. That should get them into the playoffs next year, if they bring back Mo and Posada.

The truth is that Arod's departure may be the best thing to happen for the Yankees. They will free up payroll that is better spent elsewhere. Their offense will be fine. They had the best offense in baseball to begin with, so now they'll have a good, not great offense. Which team won the World Series? The Red Sox. Why? The best pitching. The Yankees are better off letting Arod go and spending it on pitching.

This by no means is to be interpreted that I didn't want Arod. You just have to play the cards you've been dealt.

a700hitter
10-29-2007, 12:26 PM
The Yankees will then most likely acquire Alan Rowand to replace Cabrera. Considering the Yankees are now flush with cash, even for them, money shouldn't be an issue. The Yankees were only paying Alexander the Great $14 million/year. Santana is going to cost about $18+ million/year.

TheKilo
10-29-2007, 12:28 PM
ya it wont happen mostly cause of the finnancial issues, but i would be nice.

could always deal Lugo for some pitching or prospects

No, we can't.

ORS
10-29-2007, 12:30 PM
I see in the last dozen or so posts Buchholz, who could be "pretty good", now rates behind Kennedy, who our resident psuedo-scout thinks will be "very, very good". I just can't take you seriously anymore Jacko. Totally and completely full of shit.

TheKilo
10-29-2007, 12:32 PM
I meant that losing an effective Schilling would hurt. I have a feeling that Game 2 should be the last thing burned in a Red Sox fans memory. He is ready for a monumental decline next yr.

I think "monumental" is far too strong a word.

Wil he regress a bit? Probably. But I still think he can be a 4.20 ERA type pitcher in the ALE.

TheKilo
10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
I see in the last dozen or so posts Buchholz, who could be "pretty good", now rates behind Kennedy, who our resident psuedo-scout thinks will be "very, very good". I just can't take you seriously anymore Jacko. Totally and completely full of shit.

lol I noticed that too

He also flip flopped on the Santana thing

I call bullshit. I think it depends on what is available and what Minnesota wants to do. A few factors play into this....

A. Do the twins want to deal him? This is a valid point that someone pointed out earlier. If he stays, that rotation will be dirty and they could certainly be contenders in 08.

Gom
10-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Buchholz is better than Kennedy. Period. It's not even close. End of story.

BudLight
10-29-2007, 12:52 PM
And the NY Papers start the dirt digging process:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10292007/news/regionalnews/high_flier_a_rod_buys_mob_jet.htm

chacha
10-29-2007, 12:57 PM
u know what?

looks and sounds to me that the yankee's are fucked
in all my years, i have never witnessed the yankees so fucking messed up
what the hell is going on over there?

it seems to me that the whole organization -top to bottom couldnt find their ass with both hands

as a redsox fan i used to be envious of the yankees organization
every year they were in the playoffs
now?
wow- the whole organization needs an overhaul
they blame torre arod ect.
the owners and gm should look in the mirror

He Hate Me
10-29-2007, 01:10 PM
The Yankees were only paying Alexander the Great $14 million/year. Santana is going to cost about $18+ million/year.

actually I believe that they were paying ARod over $20M a year because most of the money the Rangerssent to the Yanks didn't kick in till this year or something along those lines.

ORS
10-29-2007, 01:11 PM
The truth is, the Yankees will more than likely offer Wang, Cabrera, and a prospect [probably Horne or Tabata] for Santana. The deal makes a lot of sense for both teams. Cabrera is a cheap replacement for Hunter, and dollar for dollar, Wang is a much better buy than Santana [due to the fact that Wang makes $9.46 a season]. The prospect will just add to the deal.
I'm sorry, but this deal is pennies on the dollar for the best pitcher in baseball. Wang's now done with the minimum. He's in his arb years, so his fiscal appeal is about to take a hit. Cabrera is an unremarkable ball player. Sure he can run a little, and he can hit a little, and he's got a good arm, but this isn't the kind of guy the best pitcher in baseball goes for. No, Minnesota's got a shot next year with Liriano returning and Garza/Baker with experience under their belts. I don't think the Yankees can make a deal without Cano and one of Wang, Chamberlain, or Hughes.

He Hate Me
10-29-2007, 01:11 PM
u know what?

looks and sounds to me that the yankee's are fucked
in all my years, i have never witnessed the yankees so fucking messed up
what the hell is going on over there?

it seems to me that the whole organization -top to bottom couldnt find their ass with both hands

I think we have a plan for 2008. As for the comment aobut our past history. the early 90's and late 80's were incredibly 10 times worse.

He Hate Me
10-29-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry, but this deal is pennies on the dollar for the best pitcher in baseball. Wang's now done with the minimum. He's in his arb years, so his fiscal appeal is about to take a hit. Cabrera is an unremarkable ball player. Sure he can run a little, and he can hit a little, and he's got a good arm, but this isn't the kind of guy the best pitcher in baseball goes for. No, Minnesota's got a shot next year with Liriano returning and Garza/Baker with experience under their belts. I don't think the Yankees can make a deal without Cano and one of Wang, Chamberlain, or Hughes.

what if they're out of it by the trade deadline, do you think they'd be open to dealing Santana for that package?

ORS
10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Possibly, but why would the Yankees give up starters if they are in contention?

Gom
10-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Then it aint happening, ORS. You aren't giving up a 19 game winner and one of the top three secondbaseman in baseball for anyone. If you lose Wang AND Cano, you don't make the playoffs even with Santana if you are the Yankees. What would be the point of that deal from the Yankees viewpoint? I think Wang, Cabrera, and a high level prospect is as good as they'll get.

I still believe that the best option for the Twinkies is to sign Santana. I'm with you, I'm not that big on Cabrera, but for the money, he's a good option to replace Hunter. I'm not that big on Hunter myself. You're not giving up two All-Stars, both in their mid to early 20's and a top tier prospect, for anyone.

a700hitter
10-29-2007, 01:54 PM
actually I believe that they were paying ARod over $20M a year because most of the money the Rangerssent to the Yanks didn't kick in till this year or something along those lines.I have never read that anywhere.

Gom
10-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Arod was only being paid 20 million from the yankees...the Rangers were subsidizing his salary by 7 million.

26 to 6
10-29-2007, 05:43 PM
You know what I dont understand? Anywhere I hear A-Rod being talked about; ESPN, talk radio, online, etc. he's always marketed as a third baseman. For instance "He'd be a good fit ________ as they could give him the money and have a nice hole at third base." Now that he's not playing with Jeter, I think his best bet is to move back to shortstop, but seemingly that isn't the case. I forget the anchor's name off the top of my head, but on ESPNEWS' The Hot List they had a poll asking where A-Rod should play next year, and when revealing the results he said "x percent of you want to see A-Rod manning th hot corner for the Cubbies." With Aramis there why wouldn't the CUbs play A-Rod at short and move Ronny Cedeno to second?

I have a feeling A-Rod will want to return to his position and reclaim his place as the best shortstop in the game.

TheKilo
10-29-2007, 06:12 PM
You know what I dont understand? Anywhere I hear A-Rod being talked about; ESPN, talk radio, online, etc. he's always marketed as a third baseman. For instance "He'd be a good fit ________ as they could give him the money and have a nice hole at third base." Now that he's not playing with Jeter, I think his best bet is to move back to shortstop, but seemingly that isn't the case. I forget the anchor's name off the top of my head, but on ESPNEWS' The Hot List they had a poll asking where A-Rod should play next year, and when revealing the results he said "x percent of you want to see A-Rod manning th hot corner for the Cubbies." With Aramis there why wouldn't the CUbs play A-Rod at short and move Ronny Cedeno to second?

I have a feeling A-Rod will want to return to his position and reclaim his place as the best shortstop in the game.

I can't recall an instance where a player played 3B for four years and moved back to SS with any kind of effectiveness.

So your hunch is a hunch, and there is no evidence supporting it.

SchillingIsTheNatural
10-29-2007, 06:15 PM
I think Wang, Cabrera, and a high level prospect is as good as they'll get.

Here is a big reason the Minnesota Twins will not make a trade involving Johan Santana....Francisco Liriano.

Once they have that two-headed monster rolling and healthy you are looking at an excellent rotation that (if) they can make the playoffs will create all sorts of problems. That is the key to the Minnesota Twins success.

Some other toughts...Wang and Santana are about the same age and Johan Santana is better.

So the Twins weaken there rotation but add Melky Cabrera who is not the caliber player of Torii Hunter.

Maybe the Twins can add Hughes or Chamberlain but the Twins would ruin the best thing they have going for themselves heading into 2008....Santana and Liriano

26 to 6
10-29-2007, 06:29 PM
I can't recall an instance where a player played 3B for four years and moved back to SS with any kind of effectiveness.

So your hunch is a hunch, and there is no evidence supporting it.
I understand your point, but it's not like we're talking about any player here, I mean it's Alex Rodriguez. He made a special exception so he could play for the Yankees, and now that he's not playing for the Yankees anymore I think if he wants to play SS he should be able to do so.

SchillingIsTheNatural
10-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Atlanta Braves have an open position at SS now that they traded Edgar Renteria. They aren't going to bring back Andruw Jones.

Perhaps they would be interested in Julio Lugo and Coco Crisp. The Red Sox can stick Alex Rodriguez at SS and resign Mike Lowell for 3B.

yankeessuck013
10-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Atlanta Braves have an open position at SS now that they traded Edgar Renteria. They aren't going to bring back Andruw Jones.

Perhaps they would be interested in Julio Lugo and Coco Crisp. The Red Sox can stick Alex Rodriguez at SS and resign Mike Lowell for 3B.

I would love that.

But, they have Yunel Escobar, which made Renteria expendable. Escobar hit .326 in 94 games last year with 5 HRs and 28 RBI. He's going to be a hell of a player. The Braves wanted to save money because they need SP so with Escobar trading Rents was the obvious choice. Also look for Torii Hunter/Mike Cameron to be the Braves CF next year with Cameron being the most logical choice.

jacksonianmarch
10-29-2007, 09:36 PM
The Braves wont just take 2 spare parts off your team for nothing.

Crisp will be easier to deal. His contract is manageable and his defense is superb. If he recovers his bat from Cleveland, he could be quite a steal. Lugo, OTOH, has really no useful attributes. His bat sucks. His glove sucks. Even his arm sucks. All he has is speed and a bear of a contract. I have a feeling Lugo is your starting SS next season and Crisp is suiting up elsewhere.

yankees228
10-29-2007, 11:07 PM

What about Santana for Wang, Kennedy, and Cabrera? I would still have to think about that from a Yankee's perspective, but it makes a lot more sense from a Twins perspective than some of the other ideas being thrown around here (trying to get Santana without giving up either Hughes, Chamberlain, or Kennedy).

jacksonianmarch
10-30-2007, 05:49 AM
I have said before that Wang or Cano going to Minnesota would enable us to keep our major league roster otherwise intact. There is no other team that could offer a two time 19 game winner or a .300+ hitting powerful 24 yr old second baseman. This is not pennies on the dollar. This is getting cheaper alternatives that can help on either the offensive or pitching side of things. Dealing both Wang and Kennedy and Cabrera is unnecessary.

TheKilo
10-30-2007, 07:14 AM
I have said before that Wang or Cano going to Minnesota would enable us to keep our major league roster otherwise intact. There is no other team that could offer a two time 19 game winner or a .300+ hitting powerful 24 yr old second baseman. This is not pennies on the dollar. This is getting cheaper alternatives that can help on either the offensive or pitching side of things. Dealing both Wang and Kennedy and Cabrera is unnecessary.

Offering both isn't. One is.

yankees228
10-30-2007, 03:20 PM

It might be. Because of their rotation the Twins realize that they have a shot to win this year, and the Yankees would have to make it worth there while to give that up.

SchillingIsTheNatural
10-30-2007, 05:30 PM
The Braves wont just take 2 spare parts off your team for nothing.

Yeah I would assume we would get something for them rather than the Braves giving us "nothing"

The Braves aren't going to spend big money on free agents and they need to replace Renteria and Jones. They may be able to do it within the organization but they might work out a trade. Since the Red Sox are great at paying for a majority of there players money...I'm sure the Braves would have interest since they can get major league players at a low cost (its a good deal no matter what you think about Lugo and Crisp)

LUGOforMVP
10-30-2007, 05:56 PM

I remember reading that A-Rod put on weight to become a better slugger and can't move like he used to. He doesn't want to go back to SS.

jacksonianmarch
10-30-2007, 07:23 PM
he lost that weight prior to this season and broke out.

mtbykr
11-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Not sure if this was posted already:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3091277

Before Alex Rodriguez opted out of his contract with the Yankees earlier this week, the team was told that it would not be able to meet with the third baseman unless it presented an offer of at least $350 million, sources say.

jacksonianmarch
11-03-2007, 08:05 AM
thats funny. A 350mil deal? Laughable. Fuck him.

ARod2212
11-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Regarding Rodriguez, who exactly is going to pay him? Every team has come out and said "well, it'd be nice, but it's a reach to expect us to land him." Teams see what happened to Texas when they invested in Rodriguez, and I think owners may not want to make that same mistake. I really hope Boras gets bit on this one.

I don't think the Twins would be interested in Wang. He's a sinkerballer who has terrible numbers on Astroturf. How does that make him a good fit in Minnesota?

Gom
11-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I think that both you guys and us hate Scott Boras.

You know what I hope for? The rumor is he has a deal in place with another team, which is why he opted out. I hope that this rumored team pulls it's offer off the table, leaving Boras high and dry. I hope that whichever team Arod ends up with offers him a lesser salary than what he would have made with the Yankees.

Finally, then, Boras would lose that superagent status.