Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Prospect Mega Thread

They would be stupid to move him now. His stock is down. It's the typical conundrum. If the player is performing, you want to keep them. If they aren't performing, you don't want to deal them when their stock is low
    Hal sucks

Probably, but His price will never be low, everybody knows his upside, the problem is the health and that question mark will be there no matter what

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's kind of the same situation when someone suggests trading one of our players. Several times, we hear, "Why are you giving up on so-and-so?"

To me, if your suggested trade is for a good player, the suggested trade actually shows you value that player highly.

You have to give to receive. Theo knows that. DD knows that.
    Also a function of where a team is - the marginal value of a WAR basically. A 60 win team's decision in this sort of thing is much different than a 91 win one.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    They would be stupid to move him now. His stock is down. It's the typical conundrum. If the player is performing, you want to keep them. If they aren't performing, you don't want to deal them when their stock is low
    Well, JBJ's stock fell after last year, too.

JBJ at least has been healthy and has shown a unique ability to be a defensive standout. Yes, his value dipped, but Salazar’s dropped more
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    JBJ at least has been healthy and has shown a unique ability to be a defensive standout. Yes, his value dipped, but Salazar’s dropped more
    I don't really want to trade JBJ for Salazar, but if we get JD, it's a close call.

DH: JD
    CF: JBJ
    Bench: HRam or Moreland

vs
    LF: JD
    CF: Beni
    DH: HRam

HRam is probably a better hitter than JBJ, so we don't lose the full value of JBJ by trading him. Yes, we lose on D, but gaining in the rotation is major value added.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    That's exactly the way I see it, even if you have to give up some prospects you love. For example, if Trout is available I'd put everybody available for him including Sanchez, Severino and Judge (but not in the same package).

But there is a big difference between giving up a good prospect and giving up a good prospect for 2 months of a new player. Epstein also dealt similarly ranked Eloy Jimenez, whom he presumably loved, but in return got several years of extremely underpriced Jose Quintana

Deity
    Yes. For example, I'm a huge JBJ fan, but I have suggested trading him, if we sign JD. I'd like to keep him and JD, but there are advantages to trading him for someone like Salazar.

Now, if someone dislikes Salazar, I can understand how they feel like I am undervaluing JBJ, but I don't see it that way. I think Salazar is one hell of a pitcher. (The injury concerns are valid, however.)
    But would you trade 3 years of Bradley for one year of Salazar? How about two months of Salazar?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    That's exactly the way I see it, even if you have to give up some prospects you love. For example, if Trout is available I'd put everybody available for him including Sanchez, Severino and Judge (but not in the same package).
    And who would you move first and why?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But there is a big difference between giving up a good prospect and giving up a good prospect for 2 months of a new player. Epstein also dealt similarly ranked Eloy Jimenez, whom he presumably loved, but in return got several years of extremely underpriced Jose Quintana
    Word is that Epstein gave Cashman the oportunity to choose between Torres and Jimenez.

And who would you move first and why?
    There's no other player I can think right now, which will make me trade one of those three.

If Trout is available, this will be the order in my mind to start trade conversations:

1st Severino, he's great, but there are more pitchers in his level on the league
    2nd Judge, it's almost impossible for him to duplicate his rookie season, he might have the shorter career (unless he's moved to DH in a few years)
    3rd Sanchez, he plays a premium position, no matter what some people say I believe he will be a plus defender very soon.

But would you trade 3 years of Bradley for one year of Salazar? How about two months of Salazar?
    No and no.

Salazar makes $5M this year and has 2 arbs.

JBJ makes $6.1M and has 2 arb years left.

I don't make the trade without JD.

With JD, I'm on the fence.

I'd prefer something like JBJ, Johnson, Marrero & Hembree for Salazar and Meritt or Anderson.

From soxprospects.com

http://news.soxprospects.com/2018/01...stillo_29.html

Mexican Pacific League
    Hector Velazquez did not appear in a game this past week as his team, Mayos de Navajoa, dropped the championship series four games to three.

Roberto Clemente Professional Baseball League
    Ivan De Jesus Jr. wrapped up the regular season by going 0 for 3 with a walk in the finale. Rusney Castillo (pictured) finished strong, going 2 for 3 with a pair of doubles, an RBI, and a run.

In the playoffs, De Jesus Jr. appeared in all four games for Santurce, going 3 for 15 with two walks and a run scored. Castillo enjoyed a better postseason in the leadoff spot for Caguas, going 5 for 13 with a double and two RBI. Caguas won the series against Santurce three games to none.

@PeteAbe

#RedSox AAA catcher Jake Romanski was suspended for 100 games by MLB after testing positive for amphetamine. He is on the spring training roster.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rank...ted-prospects/

1. Judge
    2. Bellinger
    3. Hoskins
    4. Devers
    5. Albies
    6. Benintendi
    7. Moncada
    12. Margot

Is Devers ranked too low?!?!?!?!?