Starting Pitching

Price $31.0M
    Porcello $20.6M
    Eovaldi $17.0M
    Sale $15.0M
    E Rod $4.3M
    total $87.9M

Bullpen <$8.0M

I expect lot more from starting pitching. Betts makes $20M by himself.

Yeah, our bullpen sucks. But you do understand that our team was built around starting pitching and our magnificent offense, right?
    Yes, and our SP'ing has way under performed.
    Sox 4 Ever

It's the bullpen, stupid.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    It's the bullpen, stupid.
    It's obvious, but that doesn't take away from the fact that our expensive and highly regarded starters have under performed, so far.

I expect the starters will be fine going forward, even without Eovaldi joining the rotation.

Our pen needs the most help, and Eovaldi is not going to be enough, even if he does great.
    Sox 4 Ever

I think it’s hysterical that our FO announces this while the dude is still on the 60 day IL with no set return time. The FO is treating the fans like we are simpleton idiot crazy retards.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    I think it’s hysterical that our FO announces this while the dude is still on the 60 day IL with no set return time. The FO is treating the fans like we are simpleton idiot crazy retards.
    I'll build on that. They think we're all Chris.

Crazy
    Halfwit
    Retarded
    Idiot
    Simpleton

(Apologies to anyone on the forum whose actual name is Chris. It's a fine name.)
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'll build on that. They think we're all Chris.

Crazy
    Halfwit
    Retarded
    Idiot
    Simpleton

(Apologies to anyone on the forum whose actual name is Chris. It's a fine name.)
    But what if your name is Chris and you are a crazy, half-witted, retarded, idiotic simpleton?

There has to be at least one out there somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But what if your name is Chris and you are a crazy, half-witted, retarded, idiotic simpleton?

There has to be at least one out there somewhere...
    I'd suggest Chris Davis, but of course, it was Peter Angelos and Dan Duquette who, by signing him to that $161 million contract, were Crazy et cetera.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'd suggest Chris Davis, but of course, it was Peter Angelos and Dan Duquette who, by signing him to that $161 million contract, were Crazy et cetera.
    It’s probably some Chris on a Yankee board.

Davis would have only qualified if he refused that offer...

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    That is what I find the most insulting....... I know this feeling all too well with being a Colts fan. 2 seasons ago Irsay kept saying Luck will return just to draw tickets and keep fans in the seats.... Luck obviously did not return that season and the fanbase knew it by the half way point. Organizations in sports can be sketchy as all hell.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's obvious, but that doesn't take away from the fact that our expensive and highly regarded starters have under performed, so far.

I expect the starters will be fine going forward, even without Eovaldi joining the rotation.

Our pen needs the most help, and Eovaldi is not going to be enough, even if he does great.
    Why on earth would you "expect the starters to be fine"? There is no evidence that any of them not named Price will perform well this year. I think that is wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Why on earth would you "expect the starters to be fine"? There is no evidence that any of them not named Price will perform well this year. I think that is wishful thinking.
    1. Although I often post most recent numbers to show possible trends, I've never believed future performance is locked into what a player has done over his last 3-5 games or even a half season.
    2. There is ample evidence our starters are among the best in the league, unless you only look at 2019 or their last 3-5 starts. Even Porcello had a 3.50 ERA for 12 starts before this tiny sample size meltdown of late.
    3. I have confidence that 3 of the big 4 will do fine the rest of the way. I'm hopeful we can get a decent 5th starter without emptying the farm and we will have home field for the WC game.

Because they’re fucking professionals and nobody is more upset about their performances than they are. E-Rod has really performed well his last couple starts. Yes I wish we could get another inning or 2 out of him but 5 against the Yanks with just 1 run is a damn good start considering their offense. Price has been rock solid. It’s more less Sale and Porcello that need to rebound. And I trust they will

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    1. Although I often post most recent numbers to show possible trends, I've never believed future performance is locked into what a player has done over his last 3-5 games or even a half season.
    2. There is ample evidence our starters are among the best in the league, unless you only look at 2019 or their last 3-5 starts. Even Porcello had a 3.50 ERA for 12 starts before this tiny sample size meltdown of late.
    3. I have confidence that 3 of the big 4 will do fine the rest of the way. I'm hopeful we can get a decent 5th starter without emptying the farm and we will have home field for the WC game.
    I will believe that they will be fine when I see evidence over a sustained period that they no longer suck. Sorry....in the absence of empirical evidence to the contrary I will believe that what they do in the second half will be similar to what they did in the first half. I hope I am wrong.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Because they’re fucking professionals and nobody is more upset about their performances than they are. E-Rod has really performed well his last couple starts. Yes I wish we could get another inning or 2 out of him but 5 against the Yanks with just 1 run is a damn good start considering their offense. Price has been rock solid. It’s more less Sale and Porcello that need to rebound. And I trust they will
    Erod has also sucked. ERA: 4.65, WHIP: 1.344. Can't make it out of the sixth inning as a rule. He has been no better than the rest of the guys. Yes, they are professionals and I am sure they are upset at their performances. I think they should stop being upset and start doing their jobs. Frankly, I don't see that happening any time soon, not with the caliber of the competition over the next several weeks.

Erod has also sucked. ERA: 4.65, WHIP: 1.344. Can't make it out of the sixth inning as a rule. He has been no better than the rest of the guys. Yes, they are professionals and I am sure they are upset at their performances. I think they should stop being upset and start doing their jobs. Frankly, I don't see that happening any time soon, not with the caliber of the competition over the next several weeks.
    Disagreed. This caliber of competition will make them bring their A game. Yes I would like to see E-Rod go 6 or more but going 5 and giving up just 1 run against the Yanks is a good performance (especially with how they were hitting on the weekend) but I have never been a fan of E-Rod and I don't think he is that good. So when I see him go 5 innings or 6 and give up 2 runs or less in my eyes that is decent.... Price has been good..... It's Sale and Porcello who need to get it together. Porcello pitched extremely well against Minnesota, I trust we will see that Porcello again. Sale....... Well lets just hope this break gave him a chance to find his game. He had a horrible start to the season but rebounded very nice and had a nice stretch of games..... But his last handful of starts have been more than ugly. I think he finds his game, he is just too good not to. Same with Verlander for Houston. His last 4 starts he has given up something like 15 runs. Guys like Verlander and Sale rebound eventually.