Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Mookie Betts: Trade or Extend

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    so you would be OK with the Red Sox signing Mookie to a 12 year / $438MM contract?
    This is the problem. Eventually, you have to reset. Eventually, it isn't profitable. And while fans don't care about their team's profitability, it will show in the prices of their tickets. Mookie is gonna start at an Arenado contract.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

MAJOR LEAGUE <snip>! LOL

Bad move. Resetting after 2020 guarantees the Sox lose both Bradley and Betts. And Martinez will likely opt out for reasons unrelated to losing those two. The Sox will be left with Bogaerts, Devers, Benintendi and hope that Price, Sale, Eovaldi can all pitch. No help from below and obviously none coming in via free agency. Everyone always says "this one last title will be worth it," but no one means it. I didn't see anyone saying "But we still have 2013" as the Sox stumbled across the finish line in last place for the second consecutive season in 2015.
    I've already resigned myself to losing JDM and either JBJ or Betts - and maybe both. That's what a reset is. It saves us a ton of money to reset the team with, and yes, we may be finishing last for a year or two. Well.. not quite last as long as Baltimore is in the ALE. But far enough down to restock the farm through drafts.

And BTW, although I didn't verbalize it, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2014 & 2015 seasons, watching our two premier outfielders play together. I had no delusions about those teams making the playoffs, there was no angst when they lost, I was able to just sit back, munch popcorn, and enjoy the games.

Does that make me a "bad fan"?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I've already resigned myself to losing JDM and either JBJ or Betts - and maybe both. That's what a reset is. It saves us a ton of money to reset the team with, and yes, we may be finishing last for a year or two. Well.. not quite last as long as Baltimore is in the ALE. But far enough down to restock the farm through drafts.

And BTW, although I didn't verbalize it, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2014 & 2015 seasons, watching our two premier outfielders play together. I had no delusions about those teams making the playoffs, there was no angst when they lost, I was able to just sit back, munch popcorn, and enjoy the games.

Does that make me a "bad fan"?
    We didn't bounce back from those two straight dismal cellar finishes by restocking the farm . We bounced back by acquiring the top quality players that we needed .

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    We didn't bounce back from those two straight dismal cellar finishes by restocking the farm . We bounced back by acquiring the top quality players that we needed .
    Yes, by emptying the farm which had been restocked. So the restocking had to take place first.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yes, by emptying the farm which had been restocked. So the restocking had to take place first.
    As stated in my farm anology , the farm always has to be re- planted . But you don't want to go hungry for two years while waiting . Not when you are the richest farmer in the state .

As stated in my farm anology , the farm always has to be re- planted . But you don't want to go hungry for two years while waiting . Not when you are the richest farmer in the state .
    Our farm is absolutely barren right now, so the only way to get food is to buy it at hefty market prices.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

We do have a couple of guys ( Chavis , Hernandez , Hernandez , Dalbec and maybe Duran ) to fill our immediate needs . Developing pitching has been an ongoing problem . No doubt about that . The contracts for Price , Sale and Eovaldi could be a continuing problem .I am not advocating going big for a guy like Cole , just for keeping our top guys in the fold . To me , all this reset talk is nonsense . It is crazy to even think of losing Betts .

If you keep the band together and continue to try and win a title through the next 12-24 months, you wont win a title and you will essentially curse the next 5 years
    Hal sucks

Deity
    We do have a couple of guys ( Chavis , Hernandez , Hernandez , Dalbec and maybe Duran ) to fill our immediate needs . Developing pitching has been an ongoing problem . No doubt about that . The contracts for Price , Sale and Eovaldi could be a continuing problem .I am not advocating going big for a guy like Cole , just for keeping our top guys in the fold . To me , all this reset talk is nonsense . It is crazy to even think of losing Betts .
    Per Alex Speier, the Sox are thinking about trading Betts, solely for financial reasons.

The reset talk might seem like nonsense for a large market team, but I have to think Henry isn't all that wild about repeatedly paying ever-growing luxury tax payments that offer 0 chance of ROI. That he capped DD's spending this season does show even he has his limits...

Per Alex Speier, the Sox are thinking about trading Betts, solely for financial reasons.

The reset talk might seem like nonsense for a large market team, but I have to think Henry isn't all that wild about repeatedly paying ever-growing luxury tax payments that offer 0 chance of ROI. That he capped DD's spending this season does show even he has his limits...
    Who are the "thinking Sox?"

Henry?

We have no GM.

I'm hoping that if we do decide to trade Betts this winter, we make a push at signing him after 2020.

If we trade Betts, we might as well trade JBJ, and maybe even ERod, Workman and Barnes. Build up the farm. Keep a core of Bogey, Devers, Beni, Vaz and out of necessity, Sale, Price and E-o.

Maybe look to spend again for 2021, but only players that look to have long term impact, or waiting until 2022 might also make sense.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

It's crazy to think we won't have a reset.

We have some role players on the farm but nothing that will give us a boost.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Who are the "thinking Sox?"

Henry?

We have no GM.

I'm hoping that if we do decide to trade Betts this winter, we make a push at signing him after 2020.

If we trade Betts, we might as well trade JBJ, and maybe even ERod, Workman and Barnes. Build up the farm. Keep a core of Bogey, Devers, Beni, Vaz and out of necessity, Sale, Price and E-o.

Maybe look to spend again for 2021, but only players that look to have long term impact, or waiting until 2022 might also make sense.
    Well, the duties are being handled by Romero, Scott and O'Halloran. It's not like they didn't put interim people into the role.

The CBS Sports article repeatedly cited Speier and stated the Sox plan to reset within the next 2 seasons.

While it certainly doesn't mean Mookie defintely goes elsewhere, I would also think that option is not off the table...

Deity
    It does seem like the best options if a reset is imminent is either 1) reset this year while keeping Betts, and then try to re-sign him after the season, or 2) just trade Betts after this season, and hopefully whatever the Sox get back can help them stay competitive in 2020 and beyond...

Well, the duties are being handled by Romero, Scott and O'Halloran. It's not like they didn't put interim people into the role.

The CBS Sports article repeatedly cited Speier and stated the Sox plan to reset within the next 2 seasons.

While it certainly doesn't mean Mookie defintely goes elsewhere, I would also think that option is not off the table...
    I agree. I was just wondering who was doing the thinking.

Looks like my suggestion that we will reset after 2020 or 2021 is looking correct.

We got JBJ in the 2011 draft. He got limited playing time in 2013 and more time starting in 2014
    We got Mookie also in the 2011 draft. He started getting playing time in 2014.

While there were important additions made to the team prior to 2018 those two were instrumental in winning the WS in 2018 after coming through our farm system.
    To follow that track, if we were to finish last in 2021 any outstanding prospects we'd get in the 2022 draft could be ready for the bigs in 2025. Yes, we'd have to sign other probably high priced players for 2026 but we could have solid players on the team who've come through our farm system.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully