Register now to remove this ad

Page 256 of 401 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,840 of 6006

Thread: A Realistic View at 2021: Part I

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It would be shocking if Bloom does nothing before the season but make minor moves like we've seen so far.
    Well he is clearly invovled in this whole Benintedi scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I can't shake the feeling that Chaim Bloom won't stop until he strips this roster of most of the 2018 world champions.

I just sense he's on a mission to prove that he can build a winner of his own; it's why I predict JBJ, Beni, Vaz and Eovaldi will all be gone this year. It's why they didn't welcome Holt back when he was cut by Milwaukee or why they won't resign Moreland or Porcello. I also think if the Sox suck again and anyone even sniffs that Bogaerts is unhappy, he'll also be dealt off.

Devers could be, too, especially if he doesn't get his act together at third. No Red Sox could fetch more prospects than Rafie, and you'd better believe Bloom is well aware of that.

I have no proof nor evidence of any of this post -- it's just speculation that we're all forced to type while waiting for any real moves to happen.
    Agree, sadly, with every word. (As you say, not based on evidence--it's based on what we know of human nature.)
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Agree, sadly, with every word. (As you say, not based on evidence--it's based on what we know of human nature.)
    I disagree.

My personal spending habits would certainly change if my budget increased significantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Well he is clearly invovled in this whole Benintedi scenario.
    Right. But trading Beni for a prospect wouldn't even be an upgrade for this year's team-actually a downgrade in all probability.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Right. But trading Beni for a prospect wouldn't even be an upgrade for this year's team-actually a downgrade in all probability.
    Unless they used the open roster spot to sign a decent LF like Ozuna.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Decent > descent! I think we'd all rather be talking, "Now, we're talking..."

Deity
    While true, we don't exactly know what the return will be, if there even is any...

Deity
    Also Rosario.

Since August 19, 2019, Benintedi is slashing .136/.267/.189 for an extremely unimpressive .456 OPS. Granted, this only covers 161 plate appearances, and is maybe about a quarter of a season's worth of games. And Hunter Renfroe, the current in-house replacement, was not much better last year (.156/.252/.393) in 139 PA's.

Maybe the Sox get a lefty platoon guy like Joc Pederson?

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. I'm not a big fan of Ozuna, mostly because of his defense, and we already have a DH for the next 2 years (JD), but with Fenway's LF the way it is, a guy like Ozuna might fit best in Boston. He could also transition to DH after 2022, assuming he signs for 3+ years.

If we trade Beni for a non LF'er, signing Ozuna or Rosario could end up being a nice upgrade of both the ML team and the farm or whatever position we get back for Beni.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Also Rosario.

Since August 19, 2019, Benintedi is slashing .136/.267/.189 for an extremely unimpressive .456 OPS. Granted, this only covers 161 plate appearances, and is maybe about a quarter of a season's worth of games. And Hunter Renfroe, the current in-house replacement, was not much better last year (.156/.252/.393) in 139 PA's.

Maybe the Sox get a lefty platoon guy like Joc Pederson?
    I wouldn't hate a Joc/Renfroe platoon. It's been in the back of my mind.

Deity
    I can't say I'm looking forward to a trade. I'd rather keep him than dump him at his lowest value.
    I still actually see Benintendi as somewhat of a prospect. If he is physically fit, I think that his potential is much greater than we have seen thus far. If he is traded for prospects that we hope might be good eventually, I would see that as a big loss for us. Seen too many "prospects" never develop. If good return cannot be acquired in a trade for him, then yup it will look to me as though someone has given up on him and simply wants him gone.

I wouldn't hate a Joc/Renfroe platoon. It's been in the back of my mind.
    I'm afraid Pederson will cost too much for a platoon.

I'd rather just keep Beni.

Find a cheaper platoon for Renfroe in LF, or count Renfroe as the 4th OF'er by adding 2 OF'er (Ozuna & Marisnik?).
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    I'm afraid Pederson will cost too much for a platoon.

I'd rather just keep Beni.

Find a cheaper platoon for Renfroe in LF, or count Renfroe as the 4th OF'er by adding 2 OF'er (Ozuna & Marisnik?).
    I was thinking that is crazy, but probably not true.

In a market where Kyle Schwarber can get 1 yr/$10mil, Pederson should be get a deal with a similar AAV. Both are coming off bad years at the plate. Schwarber is younger (albeit not much) but Pederson is the better overall player.

But the good news for the Sox is Benintendi is younger and cheaper than both of them, which does help his trade value in the face of his awful performances lately...

I disagree.

My personal spending habits would certainly change if my budget increased significantly.
    Hmm. Interesting. Looking over my life, times when I had nothing, and times when I realized I would never spend the money I had: Maybe the $$ amount I spend changes, but I would not say my spending habits change at all. If the lettuce is 10cents more expensive than I think it should be, I don't buy it; if the car or house is listed at what seems a reasonable price and I have the funds, I throw the cash down without even the pretense of bargaining. (This is why I never went into business for myself!)
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Legend
    Trading Beni for pitching prospects strengthens our minors and also reduced our payroll by $6.6Mil per year. We lose an average defensive player with little pop and an awful performance since Aug 2019. Will he return to a better than average hitter? Maybe but I wouldn't count on it. Taking his salary and using it with a few Mil more we ought to be able to get a replacement LF with equal defense, more pop and less doubts. To me it is about making improvements with each move we make.