Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What Really Grinds My Gears 2.0

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Little League parents that ruin it for everyone else.
    So... most Little League parents...

I missed my son's last playoff game this week because my vertigo fucked me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

The way people are treating the hostesses at my work. I don’t know what the deal is but since COVID, customers have been absolutely awful. I work with a lot of my friends younger siblings and they abuse they’ve been receiving as hostesses is ridiculous. We’ve had customers throw the pagers are them, yell at them, and I nearly got into a physical alteration when some guy called my friends little sister whose 16 a “lazy cunt” and accused her of lying about wait times. I don’t get why people can’t understand that we don’t choose the mask rules, the social distancing rules, how much capacity we have and that the hostesses, who are all high school girls have nothing to do with anything that happens there. Some people really shouldn’t be allowed out in public. The craziest part is some of these people are there with their families, and they have kids. I wonder how they’d feel if someone acted this way to their kids...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    The way people are treating the hostesses at my work. I don’t know what the deal is but since COVID, customers have been absolutely awful. I work with a lot of my friends younger siblings and they abuse they’ve been receiving as hostesses is ridiculous. We’ve had customers throw the pagers are them, yell at them, and I nearly got into a physical alteration when some guy called my friends little sister whose 16 a “lazy cunt” and accused her of lying about wait times. I don’t get why people can’t understand that we don’t choose the mask rules, the social distancing rules, how much capacity we have and that the hostesses, who are all high school girls have nothing to do with anything that happens there. Some people really shouldn’t be allowed out in public. The craziest part is some of these people are there with their families, and they have kids. I wonder how they’d feel if someone acted this way to their kids...
    Wow, that is brutal.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

You'd like to think that in cases like that, the manager would come out and tell people like that to leave. But they probably can't because they don't want to lose any more customers, and probably don't want to get punched in the head, either.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You'd like to think that in cases like that, the manager would come out and tell people like that to leave. But they probably can't because they don't want to lose any more customers, and probably don't want to get punched in the head, either.
    We’ve had managers step in to kick out/ban so many people in the last year and even Called police multiple times. I just don’t get how people think that’s an appropriate way to to talk to anyone, especially a minor who is working and they know can’t do anything about it.

Another thing that grinds my gears, I just turned 27 and my feet/legs are apparently just dying. I suffered a lot of injuries in middle/high school sports, specifically to my legs/feet. Broken legs 3 times, broken foot, etc. I had to work extra hours last few weeks due to no staff/people being trained and now am dealing with shin splints, planter fasciitis, and who knows what else. Literally can’t work shifts anymore without brace/specific shoes and have to ice myself after every shift. I feel like an old man

Deity
    I've never seen anything like that, thankfully, but what grinds my gears when I go to pick up food (as we almost never actually go out) is the Door Dash drivers who seem to think they have priority and always cut up in front to go talk to the hostess despite that there is a lengthy line of people already in front of them...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I've never seen anything like that, thankfully, but what grinds my gears when I go to pick up food (as we almost never actually go out) is the Door Dash drivers who seem to think they have priority and always cut up in front to go talk to the hostess despite that there is a lengthy line of people already in front of them...
    Yeah we had to go out of our way to not do doordash/uber eats or any of that stuff. The companies really screw restaurants, the drivers think theyre the priority and we're really busy and already struggle dealing with to go orders (our restaurant is not meant to be a takeout place, and it backs up kitchen badly when we get a lot of them).

I feel for you guys, and my grinded gear seems rather lame, but due to COVID, the box office at Minute Maid Park is not open, so I had to buy Sox tickets online and pay an extra $8 in service fees plus the famed $2 convenience fee per ticket!
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

People are assholes. My tipping has gone way up since the pandemic. My empathy for servers has skyrocketed.

People are assholes. My tipping has gone way up since the pandemic. My empathy for servers has skyrocketed.
    I've always given about 20%- now I give close to 25%.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    I find myself tipping on orders I pick up.

But to me the real heroes were the pizza delivery folks. It's one thing to give a waitress 15-20% for taking food from the kitchen to my table. But then how much appreciation should I give to a person who takes it from the kitchen all the way to my house? (This does not apply to Door Dash/GrubHub/Uber Eats drivers. JBay is right in how badly those apps screw restaurants.)

Another thing that grinds my gears, I just turned 27 and my feet/legs are apparently just dying. I suffered a lot of injuries in middle/high school sports, specifically to my legs/feet. Broken legs 3 times, broken foot, etc. I had to work extra hours last few weeks due to no staff/people being trained and now am dealing with shin splints, planter fasciitis, and who knows what else. Literally can’t work shifts anymore without brace/specific shoes and have to ice myself after every shift. I feel like an old man
    I was in the restaurant business for many years as a young man, so I feel for you!!! I have always tipped off the scales, assuming they are really good. Ok gets their 20%, but we frequent those places that keep excellent servers. They are generally what makes the evening special.

I have zero tolerance for rudeness to any restaurant staff, and I enjoy embarrassing anyone out of line.

Having said that, if you are hurting this badly, it might be time to open up your options. At one point putting myself through college, I considered residential irrigation as a permanent occupation. I loved it, and my buddies were going off on their own. Good thing I finished school! My body was already showing signs of fading at 22... You just never know when it's going to tell you enough is enough.
    So many servers make it look easy, but it is brutal non-stop physical work. Not to mention that you must always be up & on with your personality. Tough work, and you guys deserve every penny you get.

God bless!!
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

1. Target is no longer going to carry baseball cards because of assholes who line up on Friday AM to buy up all the stock, hassle the employees and then flip the cards on Ebay.

2. Even though the gas shortage wasn't supposed to affect SoFL, a bunch of assholes fell for the hysteria and started stockpiling gas. 90% of the gas stations are out around here now.

3. Vertigo is just the worst.