Register now to remove this ad

Page 24 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I find him disappointing since his arm strength does not match his name...
    Family Dollar version of Dustin Pedroia
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It will never be imporant...
    WOOSox legend

Hart threw 6 no hit innings today! Congrats to him, ps: he did walk four today though!

The Red Sox farm system is loaded with future stars. Dombrowski left the farm system in much better shape than given credit for. Casas and Duran are two of the top guys but don't sleep on Jimenez, and keep your eye on Rosario, an under-the-radar player that Bloom brought in.

It is obviously early but Downs has been a disappointment so far. And things haven't worked out for the pitchers, either injuries--Houck, Seabold, and Mata--or lousy performance: Groome. Groome really needs to get his act together this year, he is running out of time.

Due to the injuries to Houck, Seabold, and Mata, I can understand why the Red Sox need to stretch out Whitlock, he is next in line to enter the starting rotation.

There are two pitchers to watch at Portland who have been impressive so far: Winckowski (acquired in the Benentendi trade) and our old friend Durbin Felton--remember how high we were on him as our future closer when Dombrowski drafted him? Let's hope Felton has finally figured it out and if Winckowski can develop a secondary pitch into a plus offering he will be on the fast track.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 05-15-2021 at 11:34 AM.

I’m not sure we can call then “stars” just yet, and I for one, was almost always careful to say DD nearly stripped the farm not totally.

Houck and Dalbec have shown signs of being very helpful and may become stars someday, but how many players on the Sox are DD era prospects and stars right now? He was GM long enough and the timing is right for there to be several.

Duran and Casa may be years from stardom.

I’m pretty sure a couple of DDs prospects or prospects in the system when DD arrived will end up real good- maybe more, but we are feeling the effects of having a bad farm for 3+ years as we speak.

I’ve said this several times, I never expected Bloom to be able to rebuild our farm and 40 man roster so quickly, especially in an era when rich and winning teams have the cards stacked against them.

Trading away stars and losing badly helped, some, of course, and not many saw all that coming.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 05-15-2021 at 12:05 PM.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Santana and downs with their first taters of the season tonight for Worcester.

Reed and marrero with taters tonight for Greenville, reed is up to three on the year this far.

The fact that so much has gone wrong with the top Red Sox pitching prospects is a reminder to me that I want a position player in the upcoming draft at 4. These pitchers are so fragile; spend early draft capital on less risky position prospects.

6 innings, 12 ks, and no walks for Felton. Keep it up, baby!

That makes sense.

Our strategy of acquiring good pitchers by trade and free agency has not always worked out well, but each of our 4 rings involved a major acquisition or two or more to our pitching staff.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    The fact that so much has gone wrong with the top Red Sox pitching prospects is a reminder to me that I want a position player in the upcoming draft at 4. These pitchers are so fragile; spend early draft capital on less risky position prospects.

6 innings, 12 ks, and no walks for Felton. Keep it up, baby!
    Any minor league pitcher is risky. But they are also a major need for this organization and harder to acquire via trade...

Duran, Santana, Arauz and Gettys with HRs, tonight. (Duran, Downs & Araus with 2 hits, including a 2B by Arauz. Santana with 3 hits (one 2B).

Rosario with 3 hits for Portland. Winckowski with the win (5 IP 2 ER, 4H, 2BB, 5K).

Duran has 5 dingers in 13 games.

Plus an OBP of .390, with 9 walks.

Couldn't ask for a much more impressive start by the kid.
    Last edited by Bellhorn04; 05-19-2021 at 07:24 AM.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Duran has 5 dingers in 13 games.

Plus an OBP of .390, with 9 walks.

Couldn't ask for a much more impressive start by the kid.
    Haven't seen any reports about his D.

If he played LF, he'd probably already be on the big club.

Throwing an unready defender in CF can not only be bad for the club, but it could be bad for Jarren, too.

I trust the Sox brass will know when he's ready, and I hope it's real soon.

There may be one other thing keeping Duran in AAA:

Danny Santana

His opt out was extended into May. I'm not sure anyone knows the exact date.

Santana is off to a red hot start:
    .467 OBP
    .846 Slg%
    1.313 OPS
    3 HRs in 26 ABs

If he's ready, he's the next call up, and he can play OF, including CF, SS, 1B, 2B and 3B.

People point to 2019 as an outlier, and it does look like one with 28 HRs in 474 ABs (.857 OPS) and 21 SBs, but he did have a decent rookie year back in 2014 with an .824 OPS and 20 SBs in 24 attempts. He has a career plus UZR/150 at 2B, 3B and LF, but is minus at CF, RF and 1B.

He deserves a first look. When he's deemed ready, I see a Santana- Cordero swap of roles.

When Duran is ready, I'd DFA Brice and call him up.

According to Alex Speier, Santana will be called up as early as this weekend.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.