Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has Gerrit Cole been cheating?

Cole's spin rates were more in line with his 2020-21 averages yesterday, but still slightly down. I don't know much about this stuff but I'm guessing slight variations between starts is normal, same as how velocity can vary game to game.

Sox 4 Ever

What should be the takeaway from this article? To me the change in the baseball is probably the single biggest reason that the offensive numbers have plunged leaguewide. I'm sure pitchers using foreign substances is contributing as well, but it's not like this is the first year that pitchers started using it. They were using them in 2019 when the league wide HR record was shattered. Getting a better grip on the ball can only help you so much, but making the ball heavier and making the seams more pitcher-friendly seem to coincide with what is happening this season.

The ball was actually made a little lighter which is accounting for the higher spin rates. I agree that the sticky stuff has been going on for years. This isn’t new. But a lighter ball will seem like it’s rising compared to the heavier one and should be able to be thrown harder

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The ball was actually made a little lighter which is accounting for the higher spin rates. I agree that the sticky stuff has been going on for years. This isn’t new. But a lighter ball will seem like it’s rising compared to the heavier one and should be able to be thrown harder
    If it's only the new ball causing the higher spin rates, Manfred is even more of an idiot than I thought.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Now Jacob deGrom is under scrutiny.

This is another huge mess. And the fact that idiot Manfred decided to switch the baseballs this year is only adding confusion over what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    If it's only the new ball causing the higher spin rates, Manfred is even more of an idiot than I thought.
    This spider tack shit isn’t new for 2021. It’s been around for years. These pitchers have been using agents for grip for decades, heck, ever since the game was invented. Manfred decided to try and take the homers down by doctoring the ball, but he ended up adding velocity and spin to the pitchers which has taken the offense out of the game entirely. Manfred is a total stooge who has artificially destroyed a great game

Now Jacob deGrom is under scrutiny.

This is another huge mess. And the fact that idiot Manfred decided to switch the baseballs this year is only adding confusion over what's going on.
    And I bet he and every other pitcher is using the same shit. It’s truly an equal playing field here

Pete Alonso came out and pointed the finger at MLB for changing the baseballs.

This could really get interesting.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    And I bet he and every other pitcher is using the same shit. It’s truly an equal playing field here
    Translation: “They caught a Yankee!”

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Translation: “They caught a Yankee!”
    ... who was never great until he joined Houston -- and man, have you seen how many feet those Astros' pitches break.

That last comment was unintended, until I proofread; now it's punintended.

I have to side with Jax on this one. I think this is a widespread issue.

Deity
    I have to side with Jax on this one. I think this is a widespread issue.
    It is and has been since 1934 when Hall of Famer Burleigh Grimes retired, as he was the last player legally allowed to doctor the baseball. Yes, he actually had his own rules.

But, much like this, cheating across MLB is usually not limited to one or two teams. The Astros’ scandal took the headlines because they won, and the Sox Apple Watch scandal/Yankee bullpen phone scandal. But other teams were also accused with a lot less noise, like the Blue Jays “Man in White” sign stealing scandal.

Not everything we hear is true, of course. But the winners and bigger names grab more headlines...

Will Middlebrooks checks in on the controversy!

https://nypost.com/2021/06/10/will-m...alonso-theory/

Liam Hendricks stated today that MLB should crack down, but need to provide a universal grip substance and do a better job at maintaining baseballs.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")