Register now to remove this ad

Page 40 of 526 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    He's not a free agent this offseason, if they can sign him to an extension great, if they can't he's still on this team.
    If you signed Judge, and Bogey again there would not be much money left over.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I didn’t know Dave Forst gave you power of attorney.

I actually doubt Yorke’s status has taken as much of a hit. Scouts still love his advanced approach and overall hit tool, and one season won’t immediately change that, especially for a 20yo. Plenty of guys his age struggle as sophomores in college but go on to get drafted early…
    Play with BTV all you want, but my opinion is that it may be a fun toy, but still useless to me.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    He wasn’t mentioned in being resigned.
    Probably because he’s not a free agent yet. The post only appeared to discuss positions in question in 2023. And not even all of them (DH?)

Deity
    Probably because he’s not a free agent yet. The post only appeared to discuss positions in question in 2023. And not even all of them (DH?)
    So wait until 2024 to resign him? Raffy’s contract situation will have a big say in what happens in 2023.

If you signed Judge, and Bogey again there would not be much money left over.
    Well then you run Duran/Phem/Verdugo in your outfield, and that's a good awful outfield and I believe at some point the Sox need to be willing to go over the luxury tax for a few years and compete. That time is or at least SHOULD be on the horizon. That's also a problem for 2024, we have no idea how things play out and how much Bogaerts signs for.

Or maybe we can run Franchy out there, or Dalbec, or give Duran more of a chance. The lineup can use a boost, and we need an outfielder and we always complain about not having enough star power in the lineup, why wouldn't we want to go after Judge?

Or maybe we can run Franchy out there, or Dalbec, or give Duran more of a chance. The lineup can use a boost, and we need an outfielder and we always complain about not having enough star power in the lineup, why wouldn't we want to go after Judge?
    I would prioritize keeping Devers ahead of pursuing Judge.

Judge is having a phenomenal season but he's also over 30.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    So wait until 2024 to resign him? Raffy’s contract situation will have a big say in what happens in 2023.
    No idea.

To be honest, signing Bogaerts and Judge while extending Devers seems unlikely and prohibitive

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I would prioritize keeping Devers ahead of pursuing Judge.

Judge is having a phenomenal season but he's also over 30.
    And he’s rarely as healthy as he’s been this year…

Deity

I doubt the Sox even have a chance to pursue Judge. Especially if he sets the AL home run record this year…

Let's keep it "realistic."
    Sox 4 Ever

If extending Devers and and acquiring Judge means the SOX can't extend Bogey, sign me up. Of course, the odds of the SOX acquiring Judge are about 4 hundred million to one.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 08-09-2022 at 11:04 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    If extending Devers and and acquiring Judge means the SOX can't extend Bogey, sign me up. Of course, the odds of the SOX acquiring Judge are about 4 hundred million to one.
    If it came down to a choice between Judge and Bogaerts, Judge by virtue of being an outfielder makes more sense.

But it’s Bogie. I just like him better than that pinstriped Frankenstein monster…

Deity
    I doubt the Sox even have a chance to pursue Judge. Especially if he sets the AL home run record this year…
    I don’t care if Judge hits 70 this year. It looks good, but what are the changes that he has a year like this again let alone stay healthy as he gets older. To me not worth the money, or length of a contract he will get. Raffy to me is a lot better option, and safer bet.

We don’t want to sign Judge because he’s 30, yet Xander is 6 months younger. Judge has a track record and fills an immediate need.

Signing a big contract shouldn’t exclude the Sox from signing others. Despite various claims, the Sox are consistently one of the biggest spenders.

It’s even more justified to spend when you’re going for it. We’ve built the farm back up and reset the lux tax last year, if you plan on staying over you have a LOT of money to spend until you reach the next threshold.