Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 126 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Prospects

https://www.eagletribune.com/sports/...a55a8902d.html

“I believe I’m ready,” Valdez said through a translator. “Whether it’s up the middle or in the outfield, regardless of where it is I want to impact the game and pay off for the organization.”

Originally signed by the Houston Astros as an international free agent in 2016, Valdez broke out following the pandemic as one of the most formidable hitters in the Astros organization. He’s posted back-to-back seasons with more than 26 home runs, 90 RBI and an .860 OPS in the minors, and last year he set career highs with 28 homers, 107 RBI and a .918 OPS while spending two thirds of the season at Triple-A.

“Last year in the short stint in Worcester we saw a guy who can play a bunch of different positions, drive the ball to all fields, really exciting bat speed, power, a guy who can impact the baseball and impact the game,” said Red Sox director of player development Brian Abraham. “Someone who is an exciting player that can do a bunch of different things throughout the game.”

The knock on Valdez is that he doesn’t really have a defensive position. He was originally signed as a second baseman but has been used all over the field as the Astros and Red Sox have tried to find his best long-term home. He also hits righties much better than lefties, which could limit him to a platoon role if that doesn’t improve.

“Consistency at the plate, putting the bat on the ball, putting the ball in play, because when he impacts the baseball he hits the ball hard,” Abraham said. “Being able to do that on an every day basis, that’s what big leaguers do. When he’s able to get to that point I know he’ll be ready for that call, but still some work to do but I know he’s excited for it.”

Valdez will likely start the season at Triple-A, but given Christian Arroyo and Mondesi’s extensive injury histories there is a good bet he’ll get an opportunity at some point. Knowing that, Valdez says he’s spent the offseason working on the holes in his game so that when the time comes he’ll be ready to take full advantage of his shot.

“I want to be a complete player. Whether it’s on defense, running the bases, whatever ways I can help impact the game,” Valdez said. “Hopefully, god willing, the fruits of my hard work will pay off when I reach Fenway next year.”
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://www.eagletribune.com/sports/...a55a8902d.html

“I believe I’m ready,” Valdez said through a translator. “Whether it’s up the middle or in the outfield, regardless of where it is I want to impact the game and pay off for the organization.”

Originally signed by the Houston Astros as an international free agent in 2016, Valdez broke out following the pandemic as one of the most formidable hitters in the Astros organization. He’s posted back-to-back seasons with more than 26 home runs, 90 RBI and an .860 OPS in the minors, and last year he set career highs with 28 homers, 107 RBI and a .918 OPS while spending two thirds of the season at Triple-A.

“Last year in the short stint in Worcester we saw a guy who can play a bunch of different positions, drive the ball to all fields, really exciting bat speed, power, a guy who can impact the baseball and impact the game,” said Red Sox director of player development Brian Abraham. “Someone who is an exciting player that can do a bunch of different things throughout the game.”

The knock on Valdez is that he doesn’t really have a defensive position. He was originally signed as a second baseman but has been used all over the field as the Astros and Red Sox have tried to find his best long-term home. He also hits righties much better than lefties, which could limit him to a platoon role if that doesn’t improve.

“Consistency at the plate, putting the bat on the ball, putting the ball in play, because when he impacts the baseball he hits the ball hard,” Abraham said. “Being able to do that on an every day basis, that’s what big leaguers do. When he’s able to get to that point I know he’ll be ready for that call, but still some work to do but I know he’s excited for it.”

Valdez will likely start the season at Triple-A, but given Christian Arroyo and Mondesi’s extensive injury histories there is a good bet he’ll get an opportunity at some point. Knowing that, Valdez says he’s spent the offseason working on the holes in his game so that when the time comes he’ll be ready to take full advantage of his shot.

“I want to be a complete player. Whether it’s on defense, running the bases, whatever ways I can help impact the game,” Valdez said. “Hopefully, god willing, the fruits of my hard work will pay off when I reach Fenway next year.”
    Many feel Abreu was the better of the two in the Vaz return, but this kid can hit!
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

https://www.milb.com/player/skylar-arias-670404

The Red Sox signed left-hander Skylar Arias to a minor-league contract for the 2023 season, per the club’s transaction’s log. He will be assigned to Double-A Portland and he awaits his spring training date assignment.

Arias comes to organization drawing comparisons to another big time left-hander in Chris Sale. While playing at Tallahassee Community College, his coaches compared his delivery to that of Sale’s.

“I think it’s pretty cool. To be compared to someone who’s had success at the highest level for such a long time,” said Arias.

“That’s kind of been my comparison for awhile now. I don’t see it but maybe the arm slot and we both throw weird.”

The new Red Sox minor leaguer offers a three pitches in his repertoire, a low-90s fastball, low 80s slider and low-to-mid 80s changeup according to Baseball America.

“He has an unusual four-seam fastball that’s heavy with side spin, but lacks hop, moving almost like a sinker from a flat vertical approach angle. This allows the pitch to play above his below-average velocity.

“His slider is far and away his go-to swing-and-miss offering, with a whiff rate above 50 percent despite accounting for a quarter of his usage. From a shape perspective his changeup may be his most intriguing pitch. It sits 82 mph with average velocity separation from his fastball. He does an excellent job of killing the lift on the pitch, which gives it plenty of tumble. It also has hellacious run,” wrote Baseball America back in December 2021.

Arias comes to his third organization after spending parts of seven seasons in Cleveland and the White Sox system. The Florida native is excited about his new opportunity with the Red Sox organization and is prepping for spring training.

“Right now I’m still waiting on a report date to spring training. The offseason has been going very well and I’m ready to get going with an awesome organization,” said Arias. “This game can be very challenging and you have to learn to enjoy the ups and downs and learn from it. I’m very excited to meet my new teammates and coaching staff.”

https://www.milb.com/player/skylar-arias-670404

The Red Sox signed left-hander Skylar Arias to a minor-league contract for the 2023 season, per the club’s transaction’s log. He will be assigned to Double-A Portland and he awaits his spring training date assignment.

Arias comes to organization drawing comparisons to another big time left-hander in Chris Sale. While playing at Tallahassee Community College, his coaches compared his delivery to that of Sale’s.

“I think it’s pretty cool. To be compared to someone who’s had success at the highest level for such a long time,” said Arias.

“That’s kind of been my comparison for awhile now. I don’t see it but maybe the arm slot and we both throw weird.”
    Even me with my defective skills can read between these foul lines.

Bleis makes the MLB Top 100 Prospects at #93. He's one of only four 18 year-olds on the list. The only outfielder his age ahead of him is Chourio of Milwaukee (signed as a shortstop).

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Even me with my defective skills can read between these foul lines.
    I'm sure I will have completely forgotten about Arias in a few weeks.

Deity
    I'm sure I will have completely forgotten about Arias in a few weeks.
    Who?

Ceddanne Rafaela came out of nowhere to land in the MLB top 100 list. He features Gold Glove defense in the outfield and the infield, but was also leading the minors in extra-base hits last summer... and not just because of his sprinting speed; he lined balls to the walls with hand-eye quickness.

Players make major jumps every year. Gunnar Henderson went from #64 overall to #1 in one season. Mayer is already at #9 preseason...

... can a guy like Miguel Bleis have a monster year and blast past him? No prospect has a higher raw power rating in the system than Bleis, including Anthony, Jordan, Hickey, Brannon, Kavadas, Binelas, Valdez, Scott. And at 170 pounds, there is still room to grow...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Ceddanne Rafaela came out of nowhere to land in the MLB top 100 list. He features Gold Glove defense in the outfield and the infield, but was also leading the minors in extra-base hits last summer... and not just because of his sprinting speed; he lined balls to the walls with hand-eye quickness.

Players make major jumps every year. Gunnar Henderson went from #64 overall to #1 in one season. Mayer is already at #9 preseason...

... can a guy like Miguel Bleis have a monster year and blast past him? No prospect has a higher raw power rating in the system than Bleis, including Anthony, Jordan, Hickey, Brannon, Kavadas, Binelas, Valdez, Scott. And at 170 pounds, there is still room to grow...
    I think our farm is loaded with players who are poised to make a big step up in 2023. Of course, some won't.

We even have guys like Yorke, who maybe took a step down, last year, but who could rebound strongly and get into the top 100 by mid season of this time, next year.

We also just graduated Bello.

I think our farm is loaded with players who are poised to make a big step up in 2023. Of course, some won't.

We even have guys like Yorke, who maybe took a step down, last year, but who could rebound strongly and get into the top 100 by mid season of this time, next year.

We also just graduated Bello.
    I wonder how much Yorke’s wrist injury played into his down year.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I wonder how much Yorke’s wrist injury played into his down year.
    We may get an answer to that in '23.

We may get an answer to that in '23.
    So you do not put much stock in his arizona league performance?

Not really, but I do expect him to do well in '23.

Legend
    https://theathletic.com/4132943/2023...023-keith-law/

The Athletic rolling out Law's prospect material - from the top 100

11. Marcelo Mayer

Mayer had a tough full-season debut in 2022, as he missed a month with a sprained wrist in the first half and struggled to drive the ball for four or five weeks after he returned, and then fought through some back tightness in July that may also have hurt his power. (I saw him twice, once when he first tried to come back from the wrist sprain and wasn’t ready, and the other in the game when his back tightened up on him. Perhaps I should never try to see him again.) The good news is despite the injury troubles, he still showed an extremely advanced approach at the plate, even when he wasn’t at full strength, and finished strongly in Low A and after an early August promotion to High A, hitting .287/.435/.492 from July 1 through the end of the season. Mayer has a smooth left-handed swing that should get him to plus power when he fills out, with loft in his finish and evident hand strength already. I haven’t seen great bat speed from him, bearing in mind I am putting a rare Sicilian curse on him any time I’m in the ballpark, and he might be a high-OBP, 25+ homer guy who doesn’t hit for high averages if that’s the case. He’s a no-doubt shortstop with great actions and quick hands — at least, when I haven’t graced him with my presence and caused his vestigial organs to turn necrotic mid-play — and a plus arm. I know I haven’t seen his best, and I take responsibility for my actions. I still think he’s going to be a star.
    37. Ceddane Rafaela

Rafaela is one of the smallest players on this ranking, listed at 5-8, 152 pounds, and that’s not that far off from reality, but he was the big breakout guy in Boston’s system this year after he started driving the ball a lot more often and emerged as a potential 70 or 80 defender in center. Rafaela, who was born in Curaçao, swings first and asks questions later, with a very fast bat and excellent bat control that helps him make contact even on pitches out of the zone, although it also leads to a lot of weaker contact on those same pitches. He doesn’t miss fastballs and actually hangs in there (pun intended) well on curveballs, but given how high he starts his hands, he doesn’t always have time to adjust on other pitches, and he’s going to have to start to pick them up sooner out of pitchers’ hands. His defense is elite and he’s a 70 runner as well, so he doesn’t have to hit that much to be a solid big leaguer, and he could be an above-average regular as a low-OBP, 20+ homer guy. The hope is that he improves the choices he’s making as a hitter and that he recognizes pitch types sooner with experience and reduces some of that chase to give himself a chance to be a high-average hitter and potential star on both sides of the ball.
    40. Triston Casas

Casas is a boring prospect, but not in a bad way; he projects as an above-average or better regular at first base and he’s ready to take over in Fenway right now, but he doesn’t have a huge tool, no 80 power or elite defense and definitely not big speed. He’s patient, disciplined, and has very good feel to hit, with hard contact that so far has produced a ton of doubles although there’s no real reason to think he can’t put more of those balls over the fence. Casas is big and very strong; his swing makes excellent use of his upper and lower half as he rotates his hips to get more power from his legs. Boston tried him at third base but let’s just pretend that never happened. He’s a first baseman who rakes, and should be the traditional slugger for that position, hitting for some average with a ton of walks and either 40-odd doubles or 25-plus homers.
    72. Miguel Bleis

Bleis is still growing into his frame, but shows exceptional ability to handle the bat, with the potential for huge power and lots of hard contact, and has a chance for every tool to end up above-average. He’s an outstanding athlete who could stay in center depending on how he fills out and whether he stays an above-average runner. Right now he’ll show big raw power, less in games, but it’s clearly coming once he gets stronger and perhaps if he cuts down on some of the extra hand movement he has before he gets the barrel moving towards the zone. He needs to be more selective at the plate, with a little more swing and miss and a little less ball/strike recognition than you’d like, but it also comes with the enormous upside. He actually would be a perfect guy for short-season ball this year if that still existed, and I won’t be shocked or too dismayed if he struggles early in Low A as an inexperienced 19-year-old. The high-average/25 homer upside is still there.

Legend
    AFL success is nice - but not worth overthinking. These dudes have played a whole season and are often exhausted.