Register now to remove this ad

Page 139 of 200 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 2989

Thread: The Pen

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It might means he’s still not 100%.

Getting more IP out of Price might have worked out better, but are you really arguing that the performance of the bullpen was the problem last night/this morning?
    no. throw away the results of the bullpen. i am arguing that removing Price after 5 innings with only 73 pitches and 1 Earned Run was stupid.
    whatever happened after that isnt my point. the fact of actually removing a "Ace" starter after 5ip / 73 pitches 5 days after he only threw 49 pitches is....negligent.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Last night was the 15th game in 14 days, which has taxed the bullpen, especially when Price went 1.1 innings in 1 start and Johnson 3 in another. So my thinking is that Cora had tons of reasons to leave Price in last night, but didn't for what can only be good reasons.
    or because: WTF Cora?

Taking Price out after 73 pitches was a head scratcher for sure . Maybe there is something wrong . The offense was the reason for the loss . No question about that . Overall , the bullpen was good . However , they twice had the opportunity to close the game out , but failed to do so both times .

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Taking Price out after 73 pitches was a head scratcher for sure . Maybe there is something wrong . The offense was the reason for the loss . No question about that . Overall , the bullpen was good . However , they twice had the opportunity to close the game out , but failed to do so both times .
    Cora's explanation on pulling Price was his belief that 73 pitches and 5 innings was enough, given what happened last time out and that Price needs to "be taken care of."

Price himself, when asked, said "It was tough. I wanted to be able to give us more. It wasn't on Alex. It wasn't on him."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    or because: WTF Cora?
    Cora's explanation on pulling Price was his belief that 73 pitches and 5 innings was enough, given what happened last time out and that Price needs to "be taken care of."

Price himself, when asked, said "It was tough. I wanted to be able to give us more. It wasn't on Alex. It wasn't on him."

Deity
    no. throw away the results of the bullpen. i am arguing that removing Price after 5 innings with only 73 pitches and 1 Earned Run was stupid.
    whatever happened after that isnt my point. the fact of actually removing a "Ace" starter after 5ip / 73 pitches 5 days after he only threw 49 pitches is....negligent.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post

They did, but once was their best reliever this season and the other time was in the 13th inning with their 7th reliever of the game. I can’t fault the 7th relief pitcher used for not saving the game. If the Sox had Kimbrel or even Mariano Rivera in his prime, it’s not like they were going to save him for the 13th inning and use the rest of the bullpen in front of him.

The offense was the problem. They had plenty of opportunities to score and failed nearly every time...

You can say that again, Max.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post

the above statements make me think that prices labia must have been hurting and pulled himself from the game??
    the manager gets paid to make those tough decisions. this time it didnt work out. someone on this site likes to defend the manager at all costs but also says the manager should be judged solely on W & L's. those statements seem to contradict. especially this season.

Deity

Unless there is something wrong with Price, even if it’s a mild issue.

I’m hoping Cora isn’t going to put insanely low pitch counts on Price and Sale the rest of the way. I’m hoping he isn’t that stupid. Because if that’s the case, this bullpen will be completely spent before the All Star break...

If the Sox had Kimbrel or even Mariano Rivera in his prime, it’s not like they were going to save him for the 13th inning and use the rest of the bullpen in front of him.
    on the road...you might. never at home. but i wouldnt fault a manager for bringing in the closer in a tie game on the road in the 10th or 11th for sure.

Unless there is something wrong with Price, even if it’s a mild issue.

i am guessing this has to be it. otherwise it just doesnt make sense.

Deity
    on the road...you might. never at home. but i wouldnt fault a manager for bringing in the closer in a tie game on the road in the 10th or 11th for sure.
    So when do you use him at home?

Once you go to extra innings, he can’t get a save. Once you take the lead, the game is over...

So when do you use him at home?

Once you go to extra innings, he can’t get a save. Once you take the lead, the game is over...
    at home i definitely use him in the top of the 9th.

I’m hoping Cora isn’t going to put insanely low pitch counts on Price and Sale the rest of the way. I’m hoping he isn’t that stupid. Because if that’s the case, this bullpen will be completely spent before the All Star break...
    I'm surprised you would even think that's a possibility.

Sale has been around 100-105 pitches every time out...
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.