Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Martinez vs Hosmer vs Santana

Deity

Martinez vs Hosmer vs Santana

I will say this much. JD Martinez is the most likely to be successful in Fenway.

Martinez is largely a pull hitter (39%) with flyball tendecies (38%) who hits the ball hard (39%) very frequently when he makes contact.

Santana is more of a pull hitter (51%) who hits about as many flyballs (39%), but fewer hard hit balls (33%). Fenway might be tough on him when hitting lefty.

Hosmer is a ground ball machine (53%) who rarely hits the ball in the air (22%), and doesn't always hit the ball hard (33%). He might develop power, as he is about as old as Martinez was when JD did start hitting for power. and Hosmer has been surpressed by his home park, where his 119 OPS+ the past 3 yesr is still impressive and a sign he is developing somewhat as a hitter.

I'm not wild about JD Martinez' age, but if anyone thinks the Sox should have signed Encarnacio last yer, his baseball age is 4 years older. If you would have signed him 4 years ago, JD is a decent comparison.

The one big disadvantage is position. JD has never played anywhere but OF, where the Sox have 3 excellent players. Sure they could move him to first, but he might not want to go and might not be any good. And if he doesn't want to go to 1st, the Sox would have to break up a terrific defensive OF, likely by moving Bradley. They would still also need a 1B. Bradley to SF for Brandon Belt makes sense talent-wise, but Belt has a longer pricier contract and a very recent and alarming history of concussions.

Stanton would trump all these guys, but he won't be as easy to get. And I think a very unlikely acquisition at this point.

All of these are career numbers for these players, and certainly all could have developed somewhat in the past 3 years. But that is more math than I want to do right now...

The positional thing with JDM is definitely an issue.

JD Martinez can DH, and HRam can play 1B. JD can play the OF when OF'ers need a rest or are injured. He would play the OF in NL parks.

You don't really get into the pluses and minuses to Hosmer and Santana, which is what I expected with the title.

Also, I remember all the numbers posted about AGon before we acquired him. I remember projecting 50+ HRs, since he did so well "going to LF".

I'd love to see us get JD, and the age comp with EE is an important point.

I think Santana makes the most sense as we need a 1Bman and could use as much spending space as possible going forwards.

I'm dead set on Hosmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The positional thing with JDM is definitely an issue.
    I realize $25M+ for a DH and 4th OF'er seems absurd, but we have a clear spot for him at DH.

HRam is supposed to be able to play 1B next year. I doubt it would hurt to get JD to play some 1B- maybe just in NL parks.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I realize $25M+ for a DH and 4th OF'er seems absurd, but we have a clear spot for him at DH.

HRam is supposed to be able to play 1B next year. I doubt it would hurt to get JD to play some 1B- maybe just in NL parks.
    I'd also like to upgrade over Hanley at 1B defensively, for a couple of reasons. 1) It's not too difficult to do, and 2) Hanley isn't getting any healthier.

The Sox didn't think he could handle the position so easily last year. I'm not sure why they think he can this year...

All-Star
    Hanley was supposed to be able to play first (at least part-time) this year, too. I realize he's now had the surgery which will hopefully be a fix, but I'd hate to go into spring training counting on him to be the regular first baseman and then be left scrambling because he is unable to do so...

Legend
    JD Martinez can DH, and HRam can play 1B. JD can play the OF when OF'ers need a rest or are injured. He would play the OF in NL parks.

You don't really get into the pluses and minuses to Hosmer and Santana, which is what I expected with the title.

Also, I remember all the numbers posted about AGon before we acquired him. I remember projecting 50+ HRs, since he did so well "going to LF".

I think Santana makes the most sense as we need a 1Bman and could use as much spending space as possible going forwards.

I'm dead set on Hosmer.
    Pass on Hosmer. He isn't enough of an offensive upgrade-I think his career OPS+ is just 111 or so, vs JD's 130. JD can DH; HanRam can either play 1B or be traded for a can or two of beans and sign Santana as well.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Pass on Hosmer. He isn't enough of an offensive upgrade-I think his career OPS+ is just 111 or so, vs JD's 130. JD can DH; HanRam can either play 1B or be traded for a can or two of beans and sign Santana as well.
    Trading Hanley is easier said than done.and any deal would definitely include enough cash that signing Santana is not likely. ..

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I'd also like to upgrade over Hanley at 1B defensively, for a couple of reasons. 1) It's not too difficult to do, and 2) Hanley isn't getting any healthier.

The Sox didn't think he could handle the position so easily last year. I'm not sure why they think he can this year...
    I would too, but $22M says HRam will play 1B or DH for us next year.

There is talk we contacted Duda, so maybe my suggestion will come true. (More or less platoon HRam to keep him from getting 497 PAs and vesting his option.)

Trading Hanley is easier said than done.and any deal would definitely include enough cash that signing Santana is not likely. ..
    Exactly. It's like adding $12-15M to Santana's contract (for 1-2 years anyways).

We can sign Santana and not JB and just DH HRam FT.

Legend

I'm dead set on Hosmer.
    We were close last year and need improvements but not necessarily of the mega type (which also includes mega risk). For that reason I would take Sanatana over the others. I believe you meant to say were were dead set against Hosmer and I agree with that position.

Legend
    I would too, but $22M says HRam will play 1B or DH for us next year.

There is talk we contacted Duda, so maybe my suggestion will come true. (More or less platoon HRam to keep him from getting 497 PAs and vesting his option.)
    Playing Hanley at first base would probably mean his contract would vest for 2019. I certainly hope we can avoid being tied down for another $22 million for an ageing player of average skills.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Playing Hanley at first base would probably mean his contract would vest for 2019. I certainly hope we can avoid being tied down for another $22 million for an ageing player of average skills.
    I was thinking the exact opposite. Playing Hanley at first might increase the likelihood of him incurring an injury and not vesting.

Of course I don't think Hanley's option is the deathnail many others believe it to be...

I was thinking the exact opposite. Playing Hanley at first might increase the likelihood of him incurring an injury and not vesting.

Of course I don't think Hanley's option is the deathnail many others believe it to be...
    It's not a "deathnail", but when counting the luxury tax, it's enough to prevent us from signing a very significant player or holding off an extension for a year.

We could just wait until he gets to 450 PAs and put him back in LF.

(Just kidding.)