Register now to remove this ad

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Sox to hire Alex Cora as manager

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Opening Day Payrolls as far back as ‘98 have the Yanks never below 2nd in top payroll. In fact, Yanks had a nice 15 year streak going at #1 from 1999-2013.

‘17 ‘16 ‘15 ‘14 ‘13 ‘12 ‘11 ‘10 ‘09 ‘08 ‘07 ‘06 ‘05 ‘04 ‘03 ‘02 ‘01 ‘00 ‘99 ‘98
    NYY: #2 #2 #2 #2 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 #2

Bos: #3 #3 #3 #4 #4 #3 #3 #2 #4 #4 #2 #2 #2 #2 #6 #2 #2 #7 #6 #7

Notable disparities between NYY-Bos payrolls: 2003 @ $52M, 2004 @ $57M, 2005 @ $85M, 2006 @ $74M, 2007 @ $46M, 2013 @ $78M...

Thanks. This was fun.
    If you have the highest payroll now, you're not bad for the game, you're good for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    If you have the highest payroll now, you're not bad for the game, you're good for the game.
    Top spender baby!!! Maybe the umps will realize this and we can get more favorable calls? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    HRam is going to get a long look before DFA'ing or trading is considered.

I guess I just don't get all the love for Travis.

He's been under .765 the last two years at a much lower level than HRam has been playing. He's got no HR power, and we need power from traditional power positions like 1B. He was at .462 in winter ball (37 PAs).

HRam has been at .811 over the last 2 years with 53 HRs. Even if you count his God-awful 2015 season, he still has 72 HRs in 3 years and a .785 OPS, which is still better than Travis' OPS on the farm over the past 2 seasons.

I still have hope for Travis, but he's not making the 25 man roster, unless someone gets hurt, and even then, I think Swihart gets more playing time- not ST.
    That's fair moon ...just like the player and think making the 25 jump starts him to another level .Talent wise he and Hanley are a push but Travis is cheap with upside .im kidding listen I'm tired of Holt .Hanley is one hell of a player when right ...I hope the kid gets his shot soon .I also hope Hanley Rakes we need him .
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 03-07-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    HRam is going to get a long look before DFA'ing or trading is considered.

I guess I just don't get all the love for Travis.

He's been under .765 the last two years at a much lower level than HRam has been playing. He's got no HR power, and we need power from traditional power positions like 1B. He was at .462 in winter ball (37 PAs).

HRam has been at .811 over the last 2 years with 53 HRs. Even if you count his God-awful 2015 season, he still has 72 HRs in 3 years and a .785 OPS, which is still better than Travis' OPS on the farm over the past 2 seasons.

I still have hope for Travis, but he's not making the 25 man roster, unless someone gets hurt, and even then, I think Swihart gets more playing time- not ST.
    With Travis, it seems to have been BP power which has not translated into games ... swing angle and whatnot. Is there a good OBP, 15-20 HR bat there? That is the more realistic question. But Swihart makes more sense for sure, especially if the Red Sox try him at more infield spots.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    With Travis, it seems to have been BP power which has not translated into games ... swing angle and whatnot. Is there a good OBP, 15-20 HR bat there? That is the more realistic question. But Swihart makes more sense for sure, especially if the Red Sox try him at more infield spots.
    He's leading the team in HR's this spring. We'll see if the power continues in PAW.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He's leading the team in HR's this spring. We'll see if the power continues in PAW.
    Hey - didn't you tell me about the unimportance of Spring Training stats in general? lol
    For the record, I am curious about what Ramirez will have to offer. If he has nothing, I would be very pleased to see a Sam Travis call up. I'm just as curious as to see what he could possibly give us if allowed to play for an extended period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Hey - didn't you tell me about the unimportance of Spring Training stats in general? lol
    For the record, I am curious about what Ramirez will have to offer. If he has nothing, I would be very pleased to see a Sam Travis call up. I'm just as curious as to see what he could possibly give us if allowed to play for an extended period of time.
    That doesn't sound like something I'd say!!!

Legend
    We are pretty much locked in for the 9 starters, assuming no injuries Cora is planning on Leon, Swihart and Moreland as the bench with one more spot available. Travis duplicates a position that we have covered, Lin is a Cora favorite but highly unlikely to make the 40 man so that leaves it between Marrero and Holt for the final position. Marrero is the better fielder at the short and third positions that might become a requirement unless Swihart can play 3rd. Nunez will be needed at 2nd until Pedey returns. (My guess for Pedey is sometime in June so there could be two months to get through before that.

Perhaps things will become clarified by then but someone will have to get off the 25 man either through injury or other means. Despite Marrero's light hitting I would prefer him at this time.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    That doesn't sound like something I'd say!!!
    Maybe I misremembered! Roger that

Legend
    The stats don't matter per se. But if there is a real thing which has changed, then it is a different animal. Is Travis executing changes in swing, getting more consistent lift? THAT is what matters.

The stats don't matter per se. But if there is a real thing which has changed, then it is a different animal. Is Travis executing changes in swing, getting more consistent lift? THAT is what matters.
    As PA said, launch angle. It's all the rave.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    As PA said, launch angle. It's all the rave.
    Believe it or not, baseball has followed in the footsteps of golf with a lot of these new measurements. In golf they started tracking swing speed, ball speed and launch angle maybe 5 years ago.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Believe it or not, baseball has followed in the footsteps of golf with a lot of these new measurements. In golf they started tracking swing speed, ball speed and launch angle maybe 5 years ago.
    Yup - kind of like what Ted was talking about so many years ago. When you were first taught to hit a baseball, did anyone tell you to hit down on the ball and hit it into the ground? Not me - no way - I wish that they had though. It would have worked for me. It is not a new theory just people trying to reinvent something by using language that needs a definition.

Legend
    Yup - kind of like what Ted was talking about so many years ago. When you were first taught to hit a baseball, did anyone tell you to hit down on the ball and hit it into the ground? Not me - no way - I wish that they had though. It would have worked for me. It is not a new theory just people trying to reinvent something by using language that needs a definition.
    not reinvent - perfect and measure. it helps to be able to identify degree of this stuff - both to convey to players and in terms of evaluation. i agree how it manifests itself is still age old, but it could make it easier to communicate.

Deity
    not reinvent - perfect and measure. it helps to be able to identify degree of this stuff - both to convey to players and in terms of evaluation. i agree how it manifests itself is still age old, but it could make it easier to communicate.
    No doubt. I agree.