Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Sale to IL with elbow injury

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Pablo was a better idea of a signing than Sale
    Sandoval was a misguided signing from Day One....

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    He's too busy building up the Jays farm system.
    It's sort of weird so many think Cherington is relegated to do-nothing jobs around MLB, or out of MLB altogether. We rooted for a team that had a former GM as the first base coach just two years ago. Cherington is doing a far more responsible position than that...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It's sort of weird so many think Cherington is relegated to do-nothing jobs around MLB, or out of MLB altogether. We rooted for a team that had a former GM as the first base coach just two years ago. Cherington is doing a far more responsible position than that...
    Gotta admit, Cherries seems to have done a decent job with the Jays farm. We need a guy like Cherries and a guy like DD to have a head on collision and have the docs put together a Pres of Baseball Ops out of the remaining usable limbs and various body parts. THATS OUR GUY!!!!

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's never going to be easy being head of baseball ops of the Boston Red Sox.

Theo is gone.
    Ben is gone.
    DD will soon be gone.

Combined they won 4 titles, the most of any team this century. And yet they're all goners...
    Given all the dead money attached to this team, the next GM will be a goner too, unless he can build a winner with a 110 mill worth of salaries.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Given all the dead money attached to this team, the next GM will be a goner too, unless he can build a winner with a 110 mill worth of salaries.
    Paging Andrew Friedman...

Of course he is. That Cashman tried to hire him as soon as he left the Red Sox speaks volumes.

i think JH was counting on mounds of $$ from the panda hat sales.
    other names i have posted under: none

I don't agree.

He should have at least held down the fort in a position where no Sox GM had a clue how to just have a reasonable human stand in that position.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

I don't agree.

He should have at least held down the fort in a position where no Sox GM had a clue how to just have a reasonable human stand in that position.
    Then he ate everything in sight
    In our yellow submarine

Legend
    To be fair, as the de facto leader of the Fire Dombrowski Movement, he isn't gone and we really don't know if he actually will be...
    I don't see how DD can be blamed for our SPers sucking this year. Yes, he should probably have obtained another RP, but if our SP did their job we would still be in the playoffs. DD assembled a competitive team....which didn't do their job.

Deity
    I don't agree.

He was overpaid and screamed "decline." While he was worth 7.7 fWAR the 3 previous seasson, the late Luis Valbuena was worth 6.0 fWAR those same years while playing about 60 fewer games.

Sandoval received a 5 year $85mill contract that the Sox are still paying despite releasing him 3 years ago. Valbuena signed a 2 year $10mill contract, played it out, and moved on. For the Sox, Sandoval was worth (-1.4) fWAR before being released. Valbuena provided Houston with 3.7 fWAR in that same timeframe.

Sandoval looked like just chasing the bigger name and getting burned by it...
    Last edited by notin; 08-20-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Seriously, you kill me man. Too funny!
    In our yellow submarine

All-Star
    Paging Andrew Friedman...
    Pry him loose with a 10 year contract... as long as it's not part of any salary cap, I'm with it.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I don't see how DD can be blamed for our SPers sucking this year. Yes, he should probably have obtained another RP, but if our SP did their job we would still be in the playoffs. DD assembled a competitive team....which didn't do their job.
    Well, he held over a successful team from last year and has done nothing to improve it. Cherington built a Wolrd Series Champion in 2013 and did nothing as well in 2014, and the team was not successful. Was that on the team or Cherington? Because Ben was stripped of some of his responsibilities the next season...

He was overpaid and screamed "decline." While he was worth 7.7 fWAR the 3 previous seasson, the late Luis Valbuena was worth 6.0 fWAR those same years while playing about 60 fewer games.

Sandoval received a 5 year $85mill contract that the Sox are still paying despite releasing him 3 years ago. Valbuena signed a 2 year $10mill contract, played it out, and moved on. For the Sox, Sandoval was worth (-1.4) fWAR before being released. Valbuena provided Houston with 3.7 fWAR in that same timeframe.

Sandoval looked like just chasing the bigger name and getting burned by it...
    Well, even at the time it wasn't a brilliant signing. But we had to do something about third.WE HAD TO DO SOMETHING!

And yes, it turned out to be the worst possible. No one could have predicted it would turn out SO SO bad.

If things went right, we would have plunked his ass down and he would have covered third for his contract, and we wouldn't have had to worry much about it.
    In our yellow submarine