Register now to remove this ad

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Spring Training Thread - Everything Sox ST

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    The problem with starting Kendrick to start the season is if we send him down we will lose him. We signed him as a minor league free agent, have to put him on the 40 man roster if we option him back to the minors he becomes a free agent.
    Valid point. But Kendrick also has an opt out in June. We might lose him either way.

All-Star
    True, but if we only need him for a start or two shouldn't risk losing our depth that early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    True, but if we only need him for a start or two shouldn't risk losing our depth that early in the season.
    Fair enough. I can agree with that.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That's actually a better argument for him starting the season in Pawtucket and playing every day.

Personally I've always thought he was a better overall player than the vastly overrated Brock Holt, but I would keep Holt and Rutledge over him in Boston for bench roles. However if the Sox need someone to start in the infield, I'd prefer calling up Hernandez and keeping Holt and Rutledge on the bench. ..
    Actually I agree with most of what you have said. The but is that it still sucks for a kid who is good enough to start right now and quite possibly for us. I understand all about paying your dues as well. I would still keep this kid on the major league roster even if it meant playing 3 or 4 days a week which I think would be quite doable. I also don't expect it to happen.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Personally I've always thought he was a better overall player than the vastly overrated Brock Holt, but I would keep Holt and Rutledge over him in Boston for bench roles. However if the Sox need someone to start in the infield, I'd prefer calling up Hernandez and keeping Holt and Rutledge on the bench.

Pretty much sums it up correctly.
    I think that it sums it up appropriately but there really is nothing correct about it.

My take away from today's - Monday's - game:

Pablo Sandoval should never ever be allowed anywhere near the RH hitter's batters box. When the Sox are using the 3rd base dugout he should be instructed to take a wide berth around the RH box if only to prevent him from being tempted to do something stupid. He has a big (and I mean BIG) hole in his swing on outside pitches and he ties himself up with his elbows on inside pitches.

OTOH, IIRC he hit two doubles today from the left side.

Also, Kendrick had a decent outing giving up 2 runs in 5 innings.

You can say what you want about ST numbers not meaning anything but at this point I'll take Kendrick and his ERA <2.00 as our 7th starter over any of the other contenders for that spot. After all, who's he battling? Noe Ramirez and someone else??

That is all...
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

From the moment we signed Pablo, I viewed him as a platoon player.

From the moment the Sox signed Pablow I viewed him as a mistake.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    From the moment the Sox signed Pablow I viewed him as a mistake.
    Me too, as well as HanRam, but Pablo much more so.

I wonder how signing just hanRam to play 3B would have worked out.

My reaction the day we signed both HanRam and Pablo was something like this: 'It's nice to pick up a couple of big bats...it's nice to see JH so willing to shell out to make the team better...but something about this doesn't feel quite right.'

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    My reaction the day we signed both HanRam and Pablo was something like this: 'It's nice to pick up a couple of big bats...it's nice to see JH so willing to shell out to make the team better...but something about this doesn't feel quite right.'
    I saw the logic in going for offense that year and thinking the pitchers available in the following year's FA market were much better, but I still think our biggest need was SP'ing. I know Scherzer cost a ton, but he was a better option that HanRam & Pablo combined.... maybe Scherzer & Valbuena would have worked better.

Signing both was a clear mistake at the outset. HanRam seemed like a good contract based on projections. Pablo was just plain gross overpay for a declining talent. I'm not sure we could have afforded Scherzer and HanRam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    At the time, a lot of smart posters wondered why they'd sign two 3b's. They thought they could move Hanley to LF and it didn't work out. If Hanley was put at 1b from jump street, maybe fans wouldn't be so annoyed by the signings.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I saw the logic in going for offense that year and thinking the pitchers available in the following year's FA market were much better, but I still think our biggest need was SP'ing. I know Scherzer cost a ton, but he was a better option that HanRam & Pablo combined.... maybe Scherzer & Valbuena would have worked better.

Signing both was a clear mistake at the outset. HanRam seemed like a good contract based on projections. Pablo was just plain gross overpay for a declining talent. I'm not sure we could have afforded Scherzer and HanRam.
    They didn't want to re-sign Lester so they sure as shit weren't going to sign Scherzer. They should have signed a cheaper guy like Ervin Santana though.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

DD is saying that Price will probably not be ready before May. Good news for Slasher.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

This is why you make signings like Kendrick. Catch lightning in a bottle, hope you can get a nice run for a short time then discard.