Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Johnson and Mark Buerhle dealt to Jays

Re: Josh Johnson and Mark Buerhle dealt to Jays

And before everyone freaks out, Toronto's team is built pretty similar to the Miami Marlins team of last season and how did that turn out in the NL East?

Jose and Mike wash each other out, Lawire- Ramirez isn't a massive leap in difference at 3B, Toronto's rotation is now JJ, Buerhle, Romero and ??, not exactly lights out. And they have the Speedy Reyes. He will probably be good for next couple seasons, by 2016-2017 22M a year is going to look absolutely awful.

This is a move for this season and next season. I think AA may be trying to save his job here.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BSN07 View Post
    I don't have the link because I don't use Twitter, but Mike Stanton wrote this last night, "Alright, I'm pissed off!!! Plain & Simple"

All I want for Xmas is a shiny new Mike Stanton in RF
    I saw this tweet, and immediately retweeted it haha. I don't think the Marlins are getting rid of him anytime soon but like I said, I want him. Dude is a beast.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

If they are making moves to put the team up for sale then he will be available. If they are retooling and reinvest in this years FA pool and aren't selling the team then they probably won't move him.

Quote Originally Posted by BSN07 View Post
    Toronto's rotation is now JJ, Buerhle, Romero and ??, not exactly lights out.
    Add that to Brandon Morrow, Haap, Drabeck, Alvarez and dustin McGowan and their pitching is pretty deep. Compare that to our pitching that has 4 starters -- Doubront is #4 and Lackey is coming off TJ surgery.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    I was against Josh Johnson at the deadline. I am against Jose Reyes, and Ross is better than Buck.

Johnson has made 30 starts twice in his career.
    Reyes makes wayyy too much money. That would be Crawford all over again.
    Buck sucks.

Buerhle is the only piece of the deal that I would have wanted. 200+ Innings, 12-14 Wins.
    What they got was Josh Johnson on a 1 yr deal and Buerhle locked up. If Johnson kicks ass, you could re-sign him or get a pick for him. If he's hurt, you still likely offer him the QO and see if he bites for another yr. His issue has always been health. If healthy, he's good. Reyes does make way too much money, but he plays a crucial position on the diamond, plays it well and hits well above the mean. Buck and Ross would be a defensive minded tandem with some pop.

I am surprised the sox didnt poke their head in and offer up Salty, Doubront, Iglesias, Brentz and maybe Owens
    Hal sucks

All those contracts are massively back-loaded.

Toronto got suckered so bad in that deal you'd think Gord Ash was still their GM.
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
    -John Belushi

Quote Originally Posted by MDF3530 View Post
    All those contracts are massively back-loaded.

Toronto got suckered so bad in that deal you'd think Gord Ash was still their GM.
    There's only 1 long term contract in there.

the only gamble is Reyes .

Johnson has 1 year and Mark B has 3 .
    And Mark B is consistent and always throws over 200 IP .

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    There's only 1 long term contract in there.

the only gamble is Reyes .

Johnson has 1 year and Mark B has 3 .
    And Mark B is consistent and always throws over 200 IP .
    Well, there are a couple of ways of looking at it.

You could argue that there is only 1 guarantee there.

Buerhle is solid, Johnson will most likely get hurt and Reyes has an awful contract that they are now stuck with.

Fast upgrades are damn expensive these days. The Jays had to part with some prospects and $150 million. It's a bold and risky move. But if I'm a Jays fan, I like it a lot, absolutely. They've been trying the cheap and patient approach for a long time now and it's yielded squat. Their golden days in 1992-93 came with Pat Gillick at the helm and a big budget, with splashy quick fixes like Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor, Jack Morris and Dave Cone.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Giancarlo and Bryce via twitter about the trade

Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

LMAO Loria blowing off reporters. This guy is a real piece of work. What a jerk.

If it wasn't the Marlins that did this, it wouldn't be as big of a story. It be a last place team casting off it's expensive contracts in order to rebuild.

But when you add all the other shit in there it's just awful for Marlins fan. Loria says he's not selling the team. I'm not buying that either. The only way I don't see him selling is if he goes back in a reinvests this year in FA. Who knows, maybe he plans on getting Arod to come to Miami and add Hamilton as well? Weirder shit has happened. Stanton/Hamilton/Arod would be an interesting start to a lineup.

Loria has no reason to sell. He makes a good buck off of baseball's revenue sharing. Keeping a scarce payroll only helps that bottom line.

BSN, Loria committed fraud, effectively. You have one of the worst hit states during the recession paying 80% of a half billion dollar stadium. He sells them the line of crap that they new revenue will allow for them to be a big market club. He goes out and signs big name players to huge deals with moderate money in yr 1. This was all planned. He lied through his teeth and used the taxpayers to increase the worth of the team. He should be investigated for fraud
    Hal sucks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    BSN, Loria committed fraud, effectively. You have one of the worst hit states during the recession paying 80% of a half billion dollar stadium. He sells them the line of crap that they new revenue will allow for them to be a big market club. He goes out and signs big name players to huge deals with moderate money in yr 1. This was all planned. He lied through his teeth and used the taxpayers to increase the worth of the team. He should be investigated for fraud
    Fraud? Give me a break.