Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the chances of Porcello being offered a contract extension?

What are the chances of Porcello being offered a contract extension?

Unless I haven't heard something that has come up it's looking more and more like Porcello is gone after this season? He said he desperately wants to stay in Boston and it sounds like he would negotiate a decent contract, but from the sounds of it.... management doesn't overly want Porcello here as the discussions have completely stopped. I am a huge Porcello fan and always have been, but the guy is far from anything decent this season. Any thoughts on what might happen with Porcello in the off season?

Also.... sorry if a thread was created on this already, I was looking for one but couldn't find it. If there is..... mods can delete this and point me in the right direction

g-o-n-e
    other names i have posted under: none

All-Star
    0% would be my guess.

The problem with extensions is that some guys get them and some guys don't. Maybe not the best thing for morale .

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The problem with extensions is that some guys get them and some guys don't. Maybe not the best thing for morale .
    Maybe Porcello is secretly playing bad so he doesn't get extended.....

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Extensions are only part of the picture. There are huge discrepancies in what guys make anyway. Morale on just about every team should suck, based on pay inequity.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

can I go negative numbers on this poll?
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    can I go negative numbers on this poll?
    What if he takes a hometown discount and signs to 10 thousand a year? You never thought about that did you!!!!

Sure if he comes at a discount. 4/50M and end the season on high note. Dude pitches 33 starts every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Sure if he comes at a discount. 4/50M and end the season on high note. Dude pitches 33 starts every year.
    He said he really wants to stay in Boston, so it's not completely crazy that he might make a really good offer if it means he can stay. He was obviously excellent in his CY Young season, and very good last year..... I do think he turns it around at some point this season. At this point I'm just hoping he can make it longer than 3 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    It's hard to know how GMs would value Porcello. I think $50-60M/4 sounds about right, but look at Keuchel.

I'd probably offer him $13M x 4 with some incentives.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's hard to know how GMs would value Porcello. I think $50-60M/4 sounds about right, but look at Keuchel.

I'd probably offer him $13M x 4 with some incentives.
    His ERA needs to be better than 12 or whatever god awful thing it's at right now for any manager to take him half serious.

All-Star
    He apparently tried to work out a deal with the Red Sox in spring training, even expressing a willingness to take a "discount" (quotes due to his performance since then) in order to do so, but the team couldn't make it work financially.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/rob-bra...n-done-red-sox

With the Sale and Bogaerts extensions, and any future contract for Betts, taking priority, it sure seems like Porcello will be the odd man out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    He apparently tried to work out a deal with the Red Sox in spring training, even expressing a willingness to take a "discount" (quotes due to his performance since then) in order to do so, but the team couldn't make it work financially.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/rob-bra...n-done-red-sox

With the Sale and Bogaerts extensions, and any future contract for Betts, taking priority, it sure seems like Porcello will be the odd man out.
    Wow, didn't realize that...… Guess the negotiation he made was not good enough. Unfortunately when you are as inconsistent as Porcello is, it's risky signing someone like that to a big extension. He isn't showing anything this season either that he can break out of that funk.... Though he was pretty decent last year. Seems he has a good year followed by a terrible year.

Deity
    About the same as the odds of me flapping my arms and flying to the moon....