Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pur Ptching Teams

All-Star

Pur Ptching Teams

Tampa Bay started it, now we're chasing them! Last night our very own TEAMA gave up 3 hits and 1 run against the best team in baseball.

Cachin and Wber pitched 1 innings each, and 5 other guys nobody ever heard of, pitched one inning each, I can't wait to see Team B today.

I guess eRod will head up the elite Team C. (5 innings, then 2,2,1)

It seems as though the idea of the opener is catching on and will be here for a while. It does have its advantages, one being that it doesn't give the opposition time to figure out the pitchers.

To me, it doesn't seem like it would be something that would be sustainable throughout the season, due to the overuse of the pen, but the Rays have done it rather successfully for 2 years now.

If it does continue to catch on, I wonder what that will do to the state of the starting pitchers, particularly in terms of contracts.

FTR, I do not like the idea.

TB has been doing it using a starter as the second guy in. The theory behind it is sound. Teams usually have their best hitters batting 1-5. Having an opener go 1-2 innings then having a guy throw 5 innings allows the actual “starter” to avoid facing the better hitters three times

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    TB has been doing it using a starter as the second guy in. The theory behind it is sound. Teams usually have their best hitters batting 1-5. Having an opener go 1-2 innings then having a guy throw 5 innings allows the actual “starter” to avoid facing the better hitters three times
    I get the idea.

Instead of using your best reliever to face whoever is up in the bottom on the ninth, use him when you are guaranteed to see their best hitters...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It seems as though the idea of the opener is catching on and will be here for a while. It does have its advantages, one being that it doesn't give the opposition time to figure out the pitchers.

To me, it doesn't seem like it would be something that would be sustainable throughout the season, due to the overuse of the pen, but the Rays have done it rather successfully for 2 years now.

If it does continue to catch on, I wonder what that will do to the state of the starting pitchers, particularly in terms of contracts.

Think we'll ever see a team counter the opener strategy by using their worst hitters in the 1-2-3 spots?

What Cora did yesterday is NOT what TB does. It's not even what the Yanks had been doing. We have been using Cessa, Cortes, Hale, or Adams as the "bulk guy" with the intent that they'd go at least 3 and preferably 5 innings
    Hal sucks

Fair point. The Red Sox' approach was more of a bullpen game than an opener game. Either way, whether the 'starter' is the second guy in or the opener is followed by a slew of relievers, the trend seems to be catching on.

I get the rationale behind it. I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Think we'll ever see a team counter the opener strategy by using their worst hitters in the 1-2-3 spots?
    Oh geez...

I actually like the opener strategy if you’re bringing along a rookie or trying to use a starter that needs to develop a third pitch. They did it masterfully with Chirinos and Yarbrough. Chirinos really blossomed and graduated from needing an opener. Yarbrough the same way. My bet is they use that same strategy going forward with kids who are incomplete but capable of going through an order twice.

As a matter of fact, I think the Rays have shown the way to develop rookies. I hope we go about this for next year. We are likely to see Garcia and Schmidt provided good health at some point in 2020.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

I don't either, but it is what it is. 15 2-inning pitchers living together for 3 or 5 hours in a August Arizona bullpen. Banning the slider (just like they did the spit ball) would be a start. Then seam the balls as they did 25 years ago.

I actually like the opener strategy if you’re bringing along a rookie or trying to use a starter that needs to develop a third pitch. They did it masterfully with Chirinos and Yarbrough. Chirinos really blossomed and graduated from needing an opener. Yarbrough the same way. My bet is they use that same strategy going forward with kids who are incomplete but capable of going through an order twice.
    Sox should do it with D Hernandez.

All-Star
    When I see a pitcher start a game throwin 98 and then strijes out he side, Imy first hought is "how long is this guy going to last". It's usually 4 or 5 innings. Even ERod is hutting the 100 pitcg count by the 6th inning.

I'm almost sure that the 450 footer homers and the inability of pitchers to throw a complete game are tied together.

All-Star
    And the Rays are about to lead the Sox by t games

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    And the Rays are about to lead the Sox by t games
    We won't come close to passing even 1 team ahead of us.

Two was a pipe dream.
    Sox 4 Ever