Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cleveland Baseball Team

The Cleveland Baseball Team

*Indians are no more. It must have been embarrassing to find yourself less woke than Dan Snyder. But good for them, even though it's overdue.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    *Indians are no more. It must have been embarrassing to find yourself less woke than Dan Snyder. But good for them, even though it's overdue.
    Louis Sockalexis, a member of the Penobscot Indian tribe of Maine, played in only 94 major league games, but is remembered today as the first Native American, and first recognized minority, to perform in the National League. Sockalexis played for the Cleveland team then known as the Spiders. Purportedly the Indians were named in his honor, although that claim is dubious. Nevertheless, one would think that Sockalexis would get more recognition than he has. My freshman English professor spoke of Sockalexis often since he attended Holy Cross which was a collegiate baseball power at the beginning of the 20th century up until the early 50s

Deity
    Supposedly the Braves and Blackhawks are next.

Braves can go and I won’t care. But I think there is something to be said for teams named after indigenous tribes to the team’s geographic region. I wouldn’t know where many tribes were even from were it not for college football. There’s American history to be learned here sometimes...

As a Vice President of my local PETA organization, I strongly object to the use of various animal names being used in sports played by humans. I mean , it's bad enough that you put them in zoos , hunt , slaughter , wear and eat the animals ; but they have to be nicknames and mascots too ? Unfortunately, I don't have enough influence to get the various owners and those in charge of things to accede to my demands. Maybe someday. This public service announcement has been brought to you by people who take things way too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Supposedly the Braves and Blackhawks are next.

Braves can go and I won’t care. But I think there is something to be said for teams named after indigenous tribes to the team’s geographic region. I wouldn’t know where many tribes were even from were it not for college football. There’s American history to be learned here sometimes...
    The Blackhawks aren’t even named for a tribe; they were named because their founder served in the 86th Infantry Division, nicknamed the Blackhawk Division honoring Chief Black Hawk, who was a chief of the Sauk Tribe.

So basically they honor a person.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

As an Irishmen, I’m offended by Notre Dame and the Celtics. Not all of us look like leprechauns. Actually, no Irishman will ever be offended by this at all, ever, cause the name of a sports team has zero impact on our lives and we are a lot tougher than that!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    As an Irishmen, I’m offended by Notre Dame and the Celtics. Not all of us look like leprechauns. Actually, no Irishman will ever be offended by this at all, ever, cause the name of a sports team has zero impact on our lives and we are a lot tougher than that!
    I'm Scottish - Most of us don't care what you use as a mascot name. probably some sort of alcoholic beverage might serve us well though or maybe anything that offends the brits.

Deity

Irish, too.

Most Irish I know embrace the Notre Dame moniker and many even root for the team. This despite that the actual full name (Fighting’ Irish) actually plays directly into an Irish stereotype. And, like all Irish stereotypes, it is of course a very negative one. Why not just call the team the Notre Dame Heavy Drinkin’ Spouse Abusin’ Irish Deadbeat Dads?

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'm Scottish - Most of us don't care what you use as a mascot name. probably some sort of alcoholic beverage might serve us well though or maybe anything that offends the brits.
    I'm 75% Scottish/25% French. The other thing Scots are known for is being tightwads LOL
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

jacko is now Warwick Davis in my head cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Why not just call the team the Notre Dame Heavy Drinkin’ Spouse Abusin’ Irish Deadbeat Dads?
    That's what we do call ourselves- but only in private and after a binge.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    The Blackhawks aren’t even named for a tribe; they were named because their founder served in the 86th Infantry Division, nicknamed the Blackhawk Division honoring Chief Black Hawk, who was a chief of the Sauk Tribe.

And I am ok with that as a name. Basically any name that can be attributed to a historical honor is fine with me...

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    jacko is now Warwick Davis in my head cannon.
    A true icon of cinema.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

If Notre Dame was going to change their name it should be to Irish Curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post

In this respect, the name is named similarly to the Columbus Blue Jackets, who were not mentioned as a team needing a name change. With the Blackhawks, it probably is the logo that is the cause for the inclusion...