Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stros get Cole

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I like the Astros more and more everyday. If I weren't a Red Sox fan, I would jump on the Stros bandwagon.
    I live in Sugar Land, Texas- just Southwest of Houston. They are a fun team to watch, and they are managed very well.

The Cole trade was a steal. I'm very surprised nobody could top that offer, even a team like the Sox with a depleted farm. Word is, the two prospects the Pirates got were "throw-in" types.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I live in Sugar Land, Texas- just Southwest of Houston. They are a fun team to watch, and they are managed very well.

The Cole trade was a steal. I'm very surprised nobody could top that offer, even a team like the Sox with a depleted farm. Word is, the two prospects the Pirates got were "throw-in" types.
    We may be lucky the Yanks didn't get him for a similar steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We may be lucky the Yanks didn't get him for a similar steal.
    True, but we need a 5th starter. Cole is a decent 3 starter. I'm wondering why we didn't make a try. (Maybe we did.)

Deity
    True, but we need a 5th starter. Cole is a decent 3 starter. I'm wondering why we didn't make a try. (Maybe we did.)
    With what?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    With what?
    It's not like they got much from the 'Stros.

How about sending them ERod, Marrero and Hembree?

Deity
    It's not like they got much from the 'Stros.

How about sending them ERod, Marrero and Hembree?
    Well, for starters because that package is vastly inferior.

Musgrove (1.7 fWAR in 171 IP) to date has been less effective than ERod (5.0 fWAR in 366 IP), but has an extra year of control. Feliz has outperformed Hembree, albeit marginally. Both have similar control left.

But that leaves Deven Marrero as a the counter-offering to both Colin Moran and Jerry Martin, who were both ranked in the top 13 of a better Astros system. The Pirates wouldn't take that offer if you held held Neal Huntington's kids for ransom.

And Marrero has the added bonus of being out of options. He actually might be a good add over Jordy Mercer at SS, but players as good as Marrero will be available on the market for very cheap deals.

If you replaced Marrero with Chavis and add a player like Cole Brannen or Bobby Dalbec, you're at least almost there...

Well, for starters because that package is vastly inferior.

Musgrove (1.7 fWAR in 171 IP) to date has been less effective than ERod (5.0 fWAR in 366 IP), but has an extra year of control. Feliz has outperformed Hembree, albeit marginally. Both have similar control left.

But that leaves Deven Marrero as a the counter-offering to both Colin Moran and Jerry Martin, who were both ranked in the top 13 of a better Astros system. The Pirates wouldn't take that offer if you held held Neal Huntington's kids for ransom.

And Marrero has the added bonus of being out of options. He actually might be a good add over Jordy Mercer at SS, but players as good as Marrero will be available on the market for very cheap deals.

If you replaced Marrero with Chavis and add a player like Cole Brannen or Bobby Dalbec, you're at least almost there...
    I'd take ERod over Musgrove, despite the year less of control. I agree on Feliz > Hembree. I do not think it would take Chavis & Dalbec to improve on Moran & Martin.

Maybe....

ERod, Hembree, Marrero or Lin plus 1 or two from Ockimey, Shawaryn, Beeks & Dalbec.

Deity
    I'd take ERod over Musgrove, despite the year less of control. I agree on Feliz > Hembree. I do not think it would take Chavis & Dalbec to improve on Moran & Martin.

Maybe....

ERod, Hembree, Marrero or Lin plus 1 or two from Ockimey, Shawaryn, Beeks & Dalbec.

MLB-readiness is the new thing. Teams are apparently sick of getting burned by high upside A-ball guys who flame out before AA.

I don't think Marrero or Lin really have anything in terms of trade value. Every team in MLB has good glove/no bat infielders rapidly running out of options.

Really, there is nothing in that offer that looks more appealing than Colin Moran, and the best chance the Sox would have had would be to include Chavis. Even then, maybe Pittsburgh doesn't like him. But it's a safe bet no matter how they feel about him, they like him better than they like Marrero or Lin...

MLB-readiness is the new thing. Teams are apparently sick of getting burned by high upside A-ball guys who flame out before AA.

I don't think Marrero or Lin really have anything in terms of trade value. Every team in MLB has good glove/no bat infielders rapidly running out of options.

Really, there is nothing in that offer that looks more appealing than Colin Moran, and the best chance the Sox would have had would be to include Chavis. Even then, maybe Pittsburgh doesn't like him. But it's a safe bet no matter how they feel about him, they like him better than they like Marrero or Lin...
    If all this is true, I would have given ERod, Hembree, Chavis and Beeks for Cole. (If they wanted Marrero, he could go, too.)

Deity
    If all this is true, I would have given ERod, Hembree, Chavis and Beeks for Cole. (If they wanted Marrero, he could go, too.)
    Is that really any better than Musgrove, Feliz, Martin and Moran?

Bear in mind, they reportedly liked Martin to some extent.

I really doubt Deven Marrero would make a difference in any trade either way. (Yet I would keep him on the 25-man roster ahead of Holt.)