Register now to remove this ad

Page 42 of 307 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox 2012/2013 Offseason Thread

Deity

Re: Red Sox 2012/2013 Offseason Thread

Not a bad way ta' go...not really expensive....real gambles in that rotation though. If it pans out that would be great. However Lackey, Masterson and Lester could one or all not pan out. I think Lester will come around. I like Masterson to at least not be a complete bust even worst case. Lackey may be fine especially the way AL hitters are helping pitchers these days. The way AL hitters are hitting if you can hit your spots and control two and especially three pitches as a pitcher, you stand a chance of getting through the order at least twice if not more. I did not like Lackey coming over to the AL East a few years ago. They way hitters have gone in the AL particularly he could end up being lights out IF he regains his control coming off of TJ....very difficult for a guy with multiple pitches.

Apparently it's just going be one of those days where the "Red Sox are interested in player X".

As for all the before mentioned moves. Yes it's a good plan. But that is an absolute ton to pull off in one off season when your going after some of the most sought after players. 4-5 of the top 25 free agents + a significant trade(s) will take time, which is not on the teams side. Because once guys like Grienke and Hamilton sign, all hell is gonna break lose and players could be gone fast. Bidding wars pop up. A lot would have to go the Sox way for all this to happen. Fundamentally though, it would be a competitive team IMO.

Tori Hunter for two years at a reasonable amount could replace Ross in RF. He is good in the club house and has always hit well in Fenway. If the Sox are waiting for their kids to be ready Hunter could bridge the time. I have heard a lot in regards to Justin Upton, who I like as a player, but I think the asking price is going to be to high.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    Tori Hunter for two years at a reasonable amount could replace Ross in RF. He is good in the club house and has always hit well in Fenway. If the Sox are waiting for their kids to be ready Hunter could bridge the time. I have heard a lot in regards to Justin Upton, who I like as a player, but I think the asking price is going to be to high.
    Hunter + prospects > Upton -prospects.

If they sign any OF this offseason it should be Hunter. I like Upton too, but the cost has got me leaning towards pass.

Why would Hunter come here when he's openly complained about racial taunting at Fenway?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Juiced View Post
    But that knowledge may keep Cleveland's asking price down somewhat. I like Choo as a one-year player, giving guys like Jacobs, Bradley Jr., and Brentz more time to develop.
    I was thinking about this earlier, and I started to wonder if the Red Sox really screwed up by not offering Ross a qualifying offer. They have a good number of quality outfield prospects between Bradley, Brentz, Kalish and Jacobs who are only a year or two away.

Worst case scenario, you get a 20 home run guy for 13 million. A little expensive, but I don't think there is a better one-year contract available this offseason.

If he rejects the offer, his value goes down significantly and he either comes back for cheaper AAV, or the Red Sox get yet another protected draft pick.

The Providence Journal had an interesting article up today. It had one key point -- There won't be many suitors for Adam Laroche. The Red Sox really don't have anyone in the pipeline, so filling the position for 3 years won't really block anyone.

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/s...ther-team.html

Deity

I don't mind the idea of Laroche, but I think fans would be pretty underwhelmed by him fairly quickly if he's a major acquisition.

Sadly this is going to take awhile. I like the Choo and Masterson idea. I wonder if they would try to turn Masterson back into a dominant force out of the bullpen rather than starting. Choo is a good OBP guy with the potential to put up a mid-800s OPS. He's a pretty dangerous offensive piece when he's on. If the cost weren't too high they should strongly consider both of these guys.

Torii Hunter hates Boston and its fans. Its not a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by example1 View Post
    I don't mind the idea of Laroche, but I think fans would be pretty underwhelmed by him fairly quickly if he's a major acquisition.

Sadly this is going to take awhile. I like the Choo and Masterson idea. I wonder if they would try to turn Masterson back into a dominant force out of the bullpen rather than starting. Choo is a good OBP guy with the potential to put up a mid-800s OPS. He's a pretty dangerous offensive piece when he's on. If the cost weren't too high they should strongly consider both of these guys.
    Double post, sorry...

I don't mind the signing of Laroche...but only if its short money and years (which it probably wont be). It wouldn't be a bad platoon with a player like Gomez, who I think will be given a shot to make the team.

I said before as well, Youkilis....on short money and a 1 year contract is still very good value.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Sox looking at Tino Martinez as hitting coach. Now that would be a strange sight
    Miami Marlins hired him.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/t...es-hero-110812

Hunter already stated he would play in Boston, Especially now that big Papi is back. I'm sure Hunter is smart enough to know ignorance is not only found in Boston. And he's smart enough to not base a whole city on a few morons who have had too much to drink at a game and yell something ignorant. It's something your going to take the chance of no matter where you play. If he didn't come to Boston because he made an assumption on the whole fan base/city because of a couple people, well then he isn't any better then the knuckleheads in the stands. Which he doesn't seem to be, he seems like a smart guy.

Laroche is an ok option. I'd rather see a younger guy get a chance, Sands, Gomez or X(from trade, could be prospect?).

Ross at 1/13M wouldn't have been bad. I think it would have been worth the risk to offer it. Ross is probably happy they didn't because it might have really hurt his value. But I'm not overly hung up on the team not offering it.

ex1, I'm on the fence if it's going to be a long process or not. With the teams payroll flexability they should put together a competitive team on 1 and 2 year contracts while they wait for the next waive of prospects. If they are going the complete rebuild path(3+ years before contention, what I would consider a "long" process) then they should have let Papi walk, collect the pick and make pretty much anyone on the ML Roster available.

The fact they signed him makes me think they are going to try and fill the team with short term contracts to stay competitive for the next season or two. Then see who's developed to the point of taking over for those short term deals.

My GF emailed me this morning saying she read somewhere that the Sox are in talks with Swisher for around 4/40M? That seemed odd to me, anyone else see anything about this?

They signed Papi for PR first and foremost. I don't think it was entirely a baseball decision. This ownership group cares more about NESN ratings than the product on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They signed Papi for PR first and foremost. I don't think it was entirely a baseball decision. This ownership group cares more about NESN ratings than the product on the field.
    Well, I guess it's a good thing that NESN ratings are heavily influenced by the quality of the product on the field.

Deity

Swisher at 4/$40 well OK I guess if you want a guy that performed at the plate in the regular season and then was totally overmatched when he saw better pitching game after game.