Register now to remove this ad

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox have fired GM Dave Dombrowski

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    I don't understand the "move everyone except Devers" hysteria. You have players who are having excellent years and earning every nickel of their salaries: Boggaerts, Vasquez, Holt, Martinez. Mookie is also doing fine, just not MVP level. So is Benintendi. Why would you get rid of them? hoping, say, the depleted farm magically produces young players like ... say: Boggaerts, Vasquez, Mookie, Benintendi, Holt etc. ... and that the salaries of Sale, Price, and Castillo just as magically disappear, as of course will that of Pedroia, who will be happy not to have the millions in his guaranteed contract).
    Thank you. The team is actually quite good, and could easily contend next year with good health and a few additions. Also, it is possible to rebuild the farm while staying in contention. It just won't be done overnight.

There is crazy talk talking place on this forum right now.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    I hope the Sox promote the Woman as permanent GM, and not Romero. I'm serious about this. I can only go by my wife, she is Great, she save's me money, and always get the most bang for our buck.
    This is exactly what the Sox need.
    Believe me as Male I don't have this quality, just too impatient, don't mind spending and being stupid.
    I love this post. Not because it's about a woman GM, but because you talk about getting the most bang for your buck. That has always been my motto when it comes to signing free agents.

Legend
    It is confirmed that Cora will be back next year and he probably will have learned from what worked and what didn't this year. One wonders if there will be changes in any of the coaches though. Is it all on the players or are the coaches also held accountable when the results in their area of expertise are subpar? Thats up to the insiders on the team to answer as I doubt fans really have access to enough information to make an informed judgment.

Whoever the new GM is, I hope he has the strength of will to get rid of those who underperform whether they be players, coaches or even the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I sincerely doubt that no one in baseball understands the reasoning behind this move.
    I don't. I think it is dumb. DD made a terrible decision not building a BP this year, but as has been pointed out, the starting pitchers (a strength of 2018) fell well short on production. Also, they victimized themselves with the ill-advised "let's pretend the season starts May 1st" strategy. I think the dismissal was very premature.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    I don't. I think it is dumb. DD made a terrible decision not building a BP this year, but as has been pointed out, the starting pitchers (a strength of 2018) fell well short on production. Also, they victimized themselves with the ill-advised "let's pretend the season starts May 1st" strategy. I think the dismissal was very premature.

But the starters not only fell short on production, but were also VERY expensive in the process. In this year and the next 3 seasons, Sale, Price, and Eovaldi will be paid over $300 million combined. At that price, you can’t afford so many non-performers...

Deity
    What did Nathan Eovaldi ever do in his baseball life to justify a 4 year $68mill contract? Moves like that are on Dombrowski...

What did Nathan Eovaldi ever do in his baseball life to justify a 4 year $68mill contract? Moves like that are on Dombrowski...
    That one extra inning game that we lost, but it caused the team to come together.

So much for "clubhouse chemistry."
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That one extra inning game that we lost, but it caused the team to come together.

So much for "clubhouse chemistry."
    Nate's 7 innings of glory in an otherwise entirely unspectacular career.

So they were that far into a WS championship...something like 180 games in and were not as yet "together"?

They were doing what...basking in the warm afterglow of Nate's seven innings? Geezuz, give me tough athletes over pampered talent any day if that is the case.

How "together" have they looked this year?

Virtually an entire team contributes something to a successful WS effort. The post season is in fact the only time any longer that teams play even remotely like teams. Until then their "team" is something called the MLBPA.

Pay all of them then. Sign every member of the 2018 championship run to overblown contracts. Heck it appears that if DD could have, HE WOULD HAVE. Makes you wonder what Kimbrel and Kelly did wrong.
    Last edited by jung; 09-11-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    John Bolton is now available.
    ...and there you go again. I see what you are doing.

Deity
    Great. The Sox can go to war with the United Nations...
    heading down the wrong path I'm afraid.

Deity
    I understand why people disagree with many of the decisions that DD made. I don't necessarily disagree with many of his decisions at all but i think i get it. he doesn't do things the way some of you want to see them done.
    I'm much more concerned with the overall performance of the existing team than I am with any of DD's decisions. They have not gotten the job done and on many occasions they have looked disinterested. This has nothing to do with DD. i could live with a .500 team if I felt that they left what they had on the field game in and game out. I don't think that they do. It is on the players and the coaches working with them. At some point in time, you just have to accept that it isn't the ownership nor is it the GM who does the job on the field. if you give the players and coaches a free pass, good for you. i don't. they have screwed up my summer. And oh yes, I would sign Chris Sale over and over again. he was paid far less than he deserved for way to long. You can criticize his performance all you want, at least when he is out there, he owns it and really seems to care.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post

So they were that far into a WS championship...something like 180 games in and were not as yet "together"?

They were doing what...basking in the warm afterglow of Nate's seven innings? Geezuz, give me tough athletes over pampered talent any day if that is the case.

How "together" have they looked this year?

Virtually an entire team contributes something to a successful WS effort. The post season is in fact the only time any longer that teams play even remotely like teams. Until then their "team" is something called the MLBPA.

Pay all of them then. Sign every member of the 2018 championship run to overblown contracts. Heck it appears that if DD could have, HE WOULD HAVE. Makes you wonder what Kimbrel and Kelly did wrong.

So let me get this - you are implying that Dombrowski is responsible for a group of highly plaid talented athletes not playing as a team? what role do you think that Cora and his coaching staff plays in all of this?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    So let me get this - you are implying that Dombrowski is responsible for a group of highly plaid talented athletes not playing as a team? what role do you think that Cora and his coaching staff plays in all of this?
    You guys have got to stop trying to psychoanalyze my posts. None of you are good at psychoanalyzing anything. I post what I mean and I mean what I post.

A direct comment on signing Nate to 4/68 based on God only knows what...I guess "his seven innings of glory"

That one and is a direct shot at DD signing his two late 2018 season and WS binkies. One being Nate to an overblown contract. The other being Pearce who should not have been signed AT ALL, Both obvious the day of their signings and made more so as the season progressed. In Pearce's case made obvious as soon as he showed for ST. Pearce by the way WAS NOT the WS MVP.

The two lines of my post that I have bolded are the only two that are directly aimed at DD.

As for the Sale signing....PREMATURE based on where Sale was physically if nothing else...His late season swoons had become legendary at that point and the Sox should have taken the time to see how 2019 panned out. How did 2019 pan out?

As for Sale being underpaid for a career....NOT THE SOX PROBLEM TO SOLVE.

Triple A
    Even a better question what did Rick Porcello ever do in baseball to justify his 4 year $82.5 mil dollar contract? That's just plain stupidity on the Red Sox part you can't throw mil dollar contracts on mediocre players or pitchers.

Legend
    We didn't put our best team on the field last night. Cora chose to rest a couple of players. Owings is not ml caliber, makes you wonder why the Sox got him. We are going to be a well rested team in October sitting on the couch and watching the playoffs.

I do believe it is on the Mgr., coaches and players. I see little fire with maybe the exception of Mookie of late. A few young players who are out to make a splash would pick up this teams energy level if not talent. Our inability to score against so so pitching is equally hurting us.

Our new GM has got to be a bit of a hard ass to get things stirred up a bit and players seeing the game as more than a pay check.