Register now to remove this ad

Page 482 of 509 FirstFirst ... 382432472480481482483484492 ... LastLast
Results 7,216 to 7,230 of 7627

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Deity
    What’s the deal with eovaldi? Was she shut down again? I am sick of pitching a crappy starter every 5th day.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

Some might say JD Drew, Dempster, Jenks ($6M), and some even called the Price signing a disaster.
    Are you really going to get me started on Ryan Dempster again?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Not really. The team has won 4 titles in 15 years and high priced free agents have played major roles in all them. (A lot of dead money has resulted too, no one can deny that.)

The team owners have been raking it in in spite of that dead money.

Championships + profits + market appreciation. I don't see how you can argue with the results.
    Those results also include 3 last place finishes in a 4 year stretch. I don’t care how profitable the team is; I just want them to be competitive as often as possible. The easiest way to avoid stretches of non-competitive Red Sox is not have the team bogged down for several years by a lot of dead money...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Those results also include 3 last place finishes in a 4 year stretch. I don’t care how profitable the team is; I just want them to be competitive as often as possible. The easiest way to avoid stretches of non-competitive Red Sox is not have the team bogged down for several years by a lot of dead money...
    No elite high priced free after agent players were added in those seasons.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

You are correct, but we still spent a lot.

Our 2012 budget broke our previous record by over $7M and was $12M more than 2011. Yes, we dipped into the mid $250's in 2013 and 2014, but even those numbers dwarfed 2007 ($143M) and 2004 ($127M). Amazingly, we were at $99.9M in 2003.

2015 broke the 2012 record by $9M when we spent $184.3M. That's almost double our 2003 budget and $40M higher than 2007 and $57M more than 2004. Yes, salaries inflated those years, but not by that much.

This does not refute your claim, however. We did spend more but not on "elite," big-priced free agents, but rather several mid-ranged ones. One coudl argue we bombed out on most of those, too. Even the Victorino and Napoli deal only looked good for 1 year.

A look back at the signings those years:

before 2012: Cody Ross, Aaron Cook (Traded for Melancon, Bailey & Mortenson)

before 2013: Kojo Uehara, S Victorino, Mike Napoli & Jonny Gomes (Cash for M Carp)

before 2014: Pierzynski, Mujica, Napoli (again) & Sizemore

before 2015: Pablo & HRam (not elite- but close to elite contracts) Traded Cespedes for Porcello and signed Masterson, too.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

The easiest way to have stretches of mediocrity is by not taking the chances on the big name FA's. Every FA signing is a gamble and as in some gambles you win some and you lose some. Fortunately for us fans it's not our money and JH is willing to take his lumps with the bad signings in order to get the god ones.

In MLB's effort to enforce mediocrity he game is becoming more and more "rigged" against the big spending teams. Their goal is for every team to be competitive every year. MLB doesn't refer to it as the "Competitive Balance Tax" for nothing, ya know.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

What about the 4 championships? It's kind of odd that you don't address that little fact at all.

Also, re those last place finishes, I don't think any of them can be specifically attributed to long-term dead money contracts.
    Last edited by Bellhorn04; 06-15-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity

So the Sox didn’t add HRam and Sandoval in2015?

Good thing, because they might still be feeling one of those deals today...

Legend

Actually they are with Sandoval. And now compounded with Pedroia. With that money we might have signed a second baseman and a closer. It is a crap shoot to hire FA's for long and expensive contracts. The guys who get it right more often than not will put their teams in a winning position.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Actually they are with Sandoval. And now compounded with Pedroia. With that money we might have signed a second baseman and a closer. It is a crap shoot to hire FA's for long and expensive contracts. The guys who get it right more often than not will put their teams in a winning position.
    And the Red Sox are indeed the big winners this century.

So what happened subsequent to those obviously bad signings?

2015 - last
    2016 - won division
    2017 - won division
    2018 - won division and World Series

Not exactly powerful evidence for the sustained damaging effects of the bad signings.

While there are many things to complain about, Red Sox ownership and how they spend their money isn't one of them. I recently saw a survey which rated John Henry as currently the best owner in MLB ( and possibly in all of professional sports, just look what he has done for Liverpool in the Premier League) Besides winning four championships Henry and his partners literally saved Fenway Park. Their stewardship of the red sox has also directly and or indirectly led to the revitalization of professional baseball through New England. I may complain about some of their individual decisions and some of their hires but overall one has to salute what Henry and Co have accomplished since they assumed control of the Red Sox.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post

Exactly. And if they spent that money on a 2b and 1b, at some point those players are likely to become deadweight contracts as well. Pedroia, for example, was a very productive 2b on his contract for a long time...

Deity

Let’s see if I have this right. The Sox go 86 years without a WS win despite spending a fair amount on good players. Then John Henry takes over, the Sox are very profitable, do spend a lot on players, and win 4 WS in 15 years. And this pisses you off?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Let’s see if I have this right. The Sox go 86 years without a WS win despite spending a fair amount on good players. Then John Henry takes over, the Sox are very profitable, do spend a lot on players, and win 4 WS in 15 years. And this pisses you off?

No, long term free agent deals to players 30 and over piss me off. Is that difficult to grasp?

How many players like that were on the 2004 team?