Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlins outright two players off their 40 man roster

Deity

Marlins outright two players off their 40 man roster

This is important to the Sox as they clearly plan to select Josh Ockimey in the Rule 5 draft...

They clearly plan to select someone. Your paranoia makes that someone Ockimey.

it might well happen, but you're overselling your point
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Drafting a guy in the Rule 5 draft requires keeping the guy on the major league roster for all of his first year.

Is Ockimey good enough to hold a spot on the Marlins roster even though they are likely to be a last place type
    of team again? Perhaps they may think that they could use a roster spot to hide him for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by radatz17 View Post
    Drafting a guy in the Rule 5 draft requires keeping the guy on the major league roster for all of his first year.

Is Ockimey good enough to hold a spot on the Marlins roster even though they are likely to be a last place type
    of team again? Perhaps they may think that they could use a roster spot to hide him for next season.
    There are better Rule 5 picks out there than a guy who sucked in the AFL, has crazy splits, wears down every year and doesn't have a good glove at 1b.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by radatz17 View Post

There are ways around that requirement. The selecting team and team losing the player can and often do work out a trade or cash settlement, which then allows the player to be demoted.

But the Marlins non-tendered all their first basemen (Bour, Dietrich) and haven’t exactly been actively pursuing replacements. As Ockimey was in AAA last year, he’s close to MLB and one of the more prominent 1b candidates left unprotected.

And he checks all the right boxes the Marlins require - meaning he plays for minimum wage...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    This is important to the Sox as they clearly plan to select Josh Ockimey in the Rule 5 draft...
    Yeah, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Yeah, no.
    5 merit points for you.
    5 demerits for notin.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    5 merit points for you.
    5 demerits for notin.
    Which means I'm the forum leader, right?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Which means I'm the forum leader, right?
    In demerits, yes.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    In demerits, yes.

Record holder?

Legend
    I think they were hoping the Marlins would take him, so make it easier to move Chavis to 1st. 3rd base is a log jam. This a huge Minor League season for Ockimey. Still think he is part of a Trade.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 12-14-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    I think they were hoping the Marlins would take him, so make it easier to move Chavis to 1st. 3rd base is a log jam. This a huge Minor League season for Ockimey. Still think he is part of a Trade.
    Agreed. I think several teams would want him- just not on their 25 man roster.

I'm wonder what the best we can get for Swihart & Ockimey.

Or, try to upgrade Johnson or Velazquez by trading one of them with Swihart and Ockimey.

Or, upgrade Hembree by trading him with Swihart & Ockimey.

Maybe try to cut some budget by trading Moraland or Nunez with the same two players for a cheaper option.

Honestly all you're going to get from either Ock or Swihart right now is something in the PTBNL range.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Honestly all you're going to get from either Ock or Swihart right now is something in the PTBNL range.
    True with the former. I would not be surprised if Swihart and another guy could get close if the Sox were serious about Cervelli. The Pirates would have a direct replacement with a job opening and lot of control left - which is the sort of thing they probably want where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Could be.

I'd like to try and get Drew Steckennder from the Marlins, but he's pre-arb and pretty good. They'd probably want Casas, Mata or Flores.

I doubt this gets it done:

Houck
    Johnson
    Swihart
    Ockimey