Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Swihart requests a trade

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Blake Swihart is entirely justified in seeking a trade for an opportunity to succeed or fail as an MLB player. I have little confidence in Swihart but I hope he proves me wrong.

In terms of Swihart's trade value, I posted this recently:

Blake Swihart is a year older now than Jarrod Saltalmacchia was in June 2010 when the Texas Rangers traded the switch-hitting catcher to the Red Sox for Chris McGuiness, Roman Mendez, Michael Thomas and cash. SoxProspects has never ranked the three prospects among the Top 20 in the organization. McGuiness and Thomas apparently are out of organized baseball while Mendez is a 27-year-old toiling at Double A.

Saltalamacchia peaked at No. 18 on Baseball America's Top 100 prospect list while Swihart peaked at No. 17.

At the time of the 2010 trade Saltalamacchia was back down at Triple A, much as Swihart had spent much of his age 25 season at Triple A after being a starter at the MLB level.

With Saltalamacchia as his optimistic ceiling, Swihart has limited trade value.

https://www.talksox.com/forum/thread...78#post1140378
    I'm sort of surprised no one has estimated his trade value as a bag of balls yet...

Another Highly Rated prospect manhandled by the current Minor League Developmental system. The Minor League Operations and Scouting Department need a complete overhaul. All Management has done is move the pieces around by re-assigning or promoting different scouts to other positions. Its a complete disaster from top to bottom especially the Pitching Development....

Quote Originally Posted by MADSTORK View Post
    Another Highly Rated prospect manhandled by the current Minor League Developmental system. The Minor League Operations and Scouting Department need a complete overhaul. All Management has done is move the pieces around by re-assigning or promoting different scouts to other positions. Its a complete disaster from top to bottom especially the Pitching Development....
    When was our Pitching Development good, Stork?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by MADSTORK View Post
    The Sox had a good stretch of some elite prospect development. Look at their starting lineup. When Pedroia returns, only JD will remain as the sole starter who wasn't scouted, drafted/signed and developed within the Sox minor leagues.

But even highly ranked prospects fail, and that isn't the fault of the system. It happens to every team. 30% of all first round picks never make the majors. And about 30% of all BA Top 100 prospects never make the majors for more than a brief call up or a September roster expansion. It's just part of the attrition of the game, and a complete overhaul won't change it...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    When was our Pitching Development good, Stork?
    Hurst, Tudor & Ojeda?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He’s a guy with potential, but hasn’t really lived up to expectations. Is he any different than the Cechinnis or Lavarnways of the world?
    Yes he seems to be different. He has demonstrated ability to hit MLB pitching. He hit about .280 in about a half a season in 2015, I think.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He looked okay when rushed into duty a few years back, but he really has not done anything in the minors to show he deserves another long look. Apparently, his defense does not look good to Sox management, so he really needed to show a big plus bat over the last couple years. He did not.
    Of course being injured for 1.5 years had absolutely nothing to do with that.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    The pinch running was a management mistake, not an issue with roster size.
    Right I forgot about that. However if it were me, I would always use an everyday player if I had him available and I would simply work with the guys I had in the lineup to make it happen. I would only use a pitcher to pinch run under extreme duress.

The Angels will be in trouble with their pitcher/DH before this season is over if they aren't already. Makes little to no sense.

If I had a pitcher with real base running skills that might be a different story.
    Last edited by jung; 05-16-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Right I forgot about that. However if it were me, I would always use an everyday player if I had him available and I would simply work with the guys I had in the lineup to make it happen. I would only use a pitcher to pinch run under extreme duress.

NL managers do it all the time...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Yes he seems to be different. He has demonstrated ability to hit MLB pitching. He hit about .280 in about a half a season in 2015, I think.
    To be precise, in 2015 Blake Swihart hit .274 with a BABIP of .359 in 309 plate appearances:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...176&position=C

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post

The Angels will be in trouble with their pitcher/DH before this season is over if they aren't already. Makes little to no sense.

If I had a pitcher with real base running skills that might be a different story.
    They were sort of down to duress. The bench players that afternoon were Bryce Brentz, Aaron Hill, Sandy Leon, David Ortiz and Hanley Ramirez

It all happened in the 6th:

Hill hit for Brock Holt and doubled. Later in the inning, Brentz was announced for David Price. The Dodgers changed pitchers and David Ortiz hit for Brentz, drawing a walk. Betts singled Ortiz to 2nd (he was the tying run). At that point, Farrell wanted to run for Ortiz to try and tie the game up, so he used Wright with the bad result we all know.

So at that point, it was leave Ortiz on, use your other catcher or send Hanley in to run and lose his bat for later (and the pitchers spot was due up one more time)

The screw up was not using a pitcher for the role, but in using a guy who never runs the bases. Pomeranz, having just come over form the NL, was far more experienced in that regard, and had, as someone pointed out, pinch run a couple time earlier that year with the Padres plus run the bases as a hitter. I can't remember if Kelly was on the roster at that point, but he would have been a possible choice as well.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

When I first saw this story break, I was happy. Get him out of here.
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    They were sort of down to duress. The bench players that afternoon were Bryce Brentz, Aaron Hill, Sandy Leon, David Ortiz and Hanley Ramirez

It all happened in the 6th:

Hill hit for Brock Holt and doubled. Later in the inning, Brentz was announced for David Price. The Dodgers changed pitchers and David Ortiz hit for Brentz, drawing a walk. Betts singled Ortiz to 2nd (he was the tying run). At that point, Farrell wanted to run for Ortiz to try and tie the game up, so he used Wright with the bad result we all know.

So at that point, it was leave Ortiz on, use your other catcher or send Hanley in to run and lose his bat for later (and the pitchers spot was due up one more time)

The screw up was not using a pitcher for the role, but in using a guy who never runs the bases. Pomeranz, having just come over form the NL, was far more experienced in that regard, and had, as someone pointed out, pinch run a couple time earlier that year with the Padres plus run the bases as a hitter. I can't remember if Kelly was on the roster at that point, but he would have been a possible choice as well.
    Yea I eventually went looking for the info on the game itself and saw that. Not convinced that the NL circumstance mentioned in the thread is an equivalent though. Their pitchers are batting just about every game they pitch. So they are at least prepared to run the bases. American league pitchers, not so much.Interleague probably helps that a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Hurst, Tudor & Ojeda?
    I'm assuming you left the Texas Con Man off on purpose.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    I'm assuming you left the Texas Con Man off on purpose.
    Yes. He is also a child molester.