Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Cora and Closers

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Exactly. And that is why I don't like judging managerial and general managerial decisions based on results.

I thought the Hanley Ramierez contract was a good decision for multiple reasons. But it didn't work out. I also thought the Sandoval contract was stupid from the first minute, although my proposed alternatives on BDC were really a cheaper version of the same ineffectiveness...
    I rarely, probably never second guess GM decisions simply because I know so little about what's out there.

As for managers, I believe in having a lucky manager.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I have said repeatedly that yes, Kimbrel was to a degree horrible in the 9th which led to those 2 runs. He also reduced the margin in game 1 to 1 run when he gave up the dinger (on a knuckle curve) to Judge. But then he struck the next 3 guys for the save.

Where you and I part company is that you would have had 2 or 3 guys warming up when Kimbrel took the mound--which would of course have told him you don't trust him and actually expect him to fail, which is a little weird for your ASG closer and completely different from the way Cora had managed the game up to that point. No one was warming up when Porcello came out to pitch the 5th, nor Barnes in the 6th, nor Brasier in the 7th, nor Sale in the 8th. But come the 9th, it's time to castrate your actual closer even though he goes out there with a 3 run lead. Would you seriously have done that?

You also never made it clear when exactly you would have pulled Kimbrel, nor who you would have sent in. In fact, it reads as though you might have sent all 2 or 3 relievers out to the mound together--you know strength in numbers.

As I have tried to point out, when to pull Kimbrel--if ever--was bound to be tricky because he is the closer and he had that 3 run lead. Would you have pulled him after the first two got on base? If so, you are forgetting Kimbrel struck the next guy out. So, based on what actually happened, we know pulling Kimbrel then would have been wrong. How about after the next guy walked to load the bases?

Now you are getting into a really high pressure situation. The Yankees fans were going nuts, absolutely nuts, and doing everything they could to bother Kimbrel. Since you never named who you would actually send in, I'm going to guess that you have no clue who you could be sure could get 2 outs with the bases loaded. And guess what? I don't have a clue either.

That's why I'm happy they pay Cora to make those decisions. And may I add that throughout the 9th inning he looked to me to be calm, confident, and, best of all, decisive because he--unlike you and me--was confident he already had the best man on the mound.

I am more than happy to admit that Kimbrel in fact hit the next Yankee, bringing home a run (score now 4-2) and leaving the bases loaded. Not good. But then he got the next two guys out to get the save and clinch the ALDS. Right guy in the right place at the right time despite the horrible start to the inning.
    Kimbrel was very lucky to get out of the jam that he put himself into. It took a great play by both Nunez and Pearce to let us escape that one. Yup he was lucky. The way he was throwing it pretty much looked like a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Kimbrel was very lucky to get out of the jam that he put himself into. It took a great play by both Nunez and Pearce to let us escape that one. Yup he was lucky. The way he was throwing it pretty much looked like a recipe for disaster.
    As I said that night, Kimbrel started a fire and then threw gasoline on it. He was lucky 1) That Severino's ball didn't make it to the wall (we're talking about millimeters on the bat) and he was lucky Nunez and Pearce had the ability to make very nice plays to put out the fire. Not all infielders make those plays.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by s5dewey View Post
    as i said that night, kimbrel started a fire and then threw gasoline on it. He was lucky 1) that sanchez's ball didn't make it to the wall (we're talking about millimeters on the bat) and he was lucky nunez and pearce had the ability to make very nice plays to put out the fire. Not all infielders make those plays.
    ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    ftfy
    Ya.. those "S" names confuse me. Thanks.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    As I said that night, Kimbrel started a fire and then threw gasoline on it. He was lucky 1) That Severino's ball didn't make it to the wall (we're talking about millimeters on the bat) and he was lucky Nunez and Pearce had the ability to make very nice plays to put out the fire. Not all infielders make those plays.
    Come on. You know better than that. The Yankees did set the MLB record for dingers, but for any given at bat the odds still greatly favor the pitcher not giving up one. Sanchez had 2 dingers in 18 at bats in the ALDS. Terrific. But even he had 9 to 1 odds. Plus the fact that the Yankees got zero dingers in the Bronx. And the fieldable grounder by Torres was what Kombrel wanted. It just turned out to be so weak it was a tough but by no means impossible play. Nunez did not have to barehand it. Had Torres been safe, the score would still have been 4-3.

You want lucky? How about Vazquez opposite field dinger in the 4th? Sabathia would tell you the Sox got really lucky with that home plate umpire. Oh, don’t forget the Yankees hitting no dingers the final two games. Given how Sale struggled in September, he was incredibly lucky to go 5.2 innings in game 1.

But Kimbrel getting a save with a 3 run lead? The odds had to be very much in his favor. It’s a sad truth we are all going to have to live with—Cora was not an idiot for leaving Kinsler in there.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Come on. You know better than that. The Yankees did set the MLB record for dingers, but for any given at bat the odds still greatly favor the pitcher not giving up one. Sanchez had 2 dingers in 18 at bats in the ALDS. Terrific. But even he had 9 to 1 odds. Plus the fact that the Yankees got zero dingers in the Bronx. And the fieldable grounder by Torres was what Kombrel wanted. It just turned out to be so weak it was a tough but by no means impossible play. Nunez did not have to barehand it. Had Torres been safe, the score would still have been 4-3.

You want lucky? How about Vazquez opposite field dinger in the 4th? Sabathia would tell you the Sox got really lucky with that home plate umpire. Oh, don’t forget the Yankees hitting no dingers the final two games. Given how Sale struggled in September, he was incredibly lucky to go 5.2 innings in game 1.

But Kimbrel getting a save with a 3 run lead? The odds had to be very much in his favor. It’s a sad truth we are all going to have to live with—Cora was not an idiot for leaving Kinsler in there.
    Ok Max - so how about this - the Yankees got so so lucky to get within one run of the Sox and it is a good thing that Nunez and Pearce did what they did.
    Vazquez little fly ball to right does not mean much to me with respect to how much game time he should get moving forward. I'm happy that he hit the ball and am particularly happy that he was in Yankee stadium when he hit it.

One big reason the Yanks broke the team HR record is their short RF. The fact that Vaz hit one there is just payback.... not luck.

All-Star
    The only thing I know about Kimbrel's inning is that it was a failure. And, given the context of this specific game, plus that from the 5th inning on we were supposed to hold our breath till the Savior arrived in the 9th, this was not only an absolutely nerve-racking failure, but a very major disappointment.

To me this huge win felt a hell of a lot like a loss. I'm sorry, throwing wild balls when you have a 3 run (max for a save) lead in your biggest save opportunity of this season, is downright infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    The only thing I know about Kimbrel's inning is that it was a failure. And, given the context of this specific game, plus that from the 5th inning on we were supposed to hold our breath till the Savior arrived in the 9th, this was not only an absolutely nerve-racking failure, but a very major disappointment.

To me this huge win felt a hell of a lot like a loss. I'm sorry, throwing wild balls when you have a 3 run (max for a save) lead in your biggest save opportunity of this season, is downright infuriating.
    Scoreboard.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Scoreboard.
    I'll get over it... maybe tonight with K aboard in the 9th with a 4-3 lead. He comes through. He's redeemed and hey we not only just beat the Astros but, in my mind, the Yankees too (now I enjoy it).

You have to admit, it's hard to hug a scoreboard.

Legend

Nothing like beating the Yankees four times in a row in playoff games in the Bronx to deliver a feeling of failure.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Nothing like beating the Yankees four times in a row in playoff games in the Bronx to deliver a feeling of failure.
    Great point.

Deity

Time to move on and get over it. Kimbrell is going to have bad games. Sometimes it costs the Sox a win, sometimes it doesn’t. The funny thing is, the same thing can be said about his good games.

Let it go. I can promise you Kimbrell already has....

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    One big reason the Yanks broke the team HR record is their short RF. The fact that Vaz hit one there is just payback.... not luck.
    This.^^

It was exactly what I was thinking when he hit it.
    -Vin Scully