Register now to remove this ad

Page 29 of 526 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking Bogey wants $250M and Devers $500M? If so, they are a further example of why Mookie went to the Dodgers. His WAR right now is +4.1. Devers is +4.2, 11th best. Bogey's is +3.7, 21st best. Juan Soto's is +4.1, and he just turned down $440M from the Nationals.
    Soto turning down $440 mill sends shudders all through me.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Leave catcher.

Extend Bogaerts, Devers.

Make a run at Ramon Laureano for CF. (BTV accepted Yorke and Duran, but would Forst?)

Rotation should be Sale, Paxton, Pivetta, Winckowski, and either Whitlock or Crawford. (I’m on the Crawford Train)

Bullpen starts with Houck, Whitlock/Crawford, Schreiber, German, and still has Barnes and Brasier. A couple arms to push Barnes and Brasier further down on the depth chart would be cool.
    I like it, and we still have plenty of cash to sign a big plus 2B/SS and SP'er.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    As I've said, Brasier has more lives than a cat. He'll probably be on the 2027 Red Sox.
    Amazingly, he still has an option left- not sure if he will in 2023, though.

I have several players on my DFA/trade list ahead of him, but if he goes, I won't be even mildly surprised.
    Sox 4 Ever

We have here a few ardent Bloom supporters who will continue to back him no matter what happens and no matter what anyone else says. I am sure they have their reasons. Everyone else is fair game to be ripped and tossed under the bus. But not Chaim Bloom. I do not think most of Red Sox Nation falls into that category. They just want to see results and some good baseball. They are not seeing that and they are not happy about it. Bloom is the man in charge . This is his third year. It is perfectly fair to hold him accountable.
    Old school is good school.

Soto turning down $440 mill sends shudders all through me.
    Let's see what he actually makes.

I'm not sure overpaying him will reset the whole top tier market.

Did Seager's massive overpay really create a big boost to other top players' contracts?
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Am I wrong in thinking Bogey wants $250M and Devers $500M? If so, they are a further example of why Mookie went to the Dodgers. His WAR right now is +4.1. Devers is +4.2, 11th best. Bogey's is +3.7, 21st best. Juan Soto's is +4.1, and he just turned down $440M from the Nationals.
    I’m sure both want that kind of cash. But both have agents telling them “ not happening, dude.”

Soto is 23 years old (24 in October) and despite this one year has already established himself among the best hitters in MLB despite being only one year older than the top overall pick in last year’s draft. By the time he is 27, he very well might make Mike Trout look like Tim Salmon.

Bogaerts is 30 and probably looking may a deal close to the 7 year $175 of Marcus Semien last year. I put Bogaerts at 6/$150, I might be light.

Devers was offered something similar to the deal Matt Olson got from Atlanta (8 yrs $168mill) and commented the Sox were “about $100 mill off.” Since I doubt he wanted $68mill, let’s put him at $270mill for 9 years.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    And if Bloom doesn’t fill in those blanks with some good players, they will have another season like this one. He might not fill some of those blanks at all.
    Let me say again that I have zero GM credentials.

Nevertheless, I must point out that "another season like this one" ignores all the injuries we have seen: Sale, Wacha, Eovaldi, Whitlock, Hill, Kike, Story, et al. Despite those injuries and the grim reality that this year's team ERA is 14th in the AL and worst in the John Henry era, the Sox are at .500 and 3.5 games out of a wild card. And don't forget that the AL East teams have 57 more wins than losses and the Sox play 19 x 4 = 76 games against the other four.

I am not saying this is a good season. Like everyone else, I'm appalled at the defense, baserunning, bullpen lapses, weak hitting with RISP, etc. In fact, I would definitely like to see some new faces.

Meanwhile, however, there is the dilemma of whether or not to retain Bogey and Devers, either of whom and definitely both of whom would be prohibitively expensive.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I like it, and we still have plenty of cash to sign a big plus 2B/SS and SP'er.
    If Bogaerts can’t/won’t be extended, Enmanuel Valdez is off to a hit start in Worcester pushing for 2b. The FA OF class is weak (and won’t containJudge, especially if he breaks Maris’ still-standing AL home run record), but there’s always some arb eligibles that teams want to move.

I mentioned Laureano already. Cody Bellinger is a non tender candidate. Bryan Reynolds is one that should grab lots of attention…

My opinion of Alex Cora is that he is a good manager . Not the best manager , but a good one. I think he is kind of caught in the middle of the rancor between Sox management and the players , fans and media. He is doing his best to keep things calm and try to win with what he has been given. I would not like to see him leave.

Let me say again that I have zero GM credentials.

Nevertheless, I must point out that "another season like this one" ignores all the injuries we have seen: Sale, Wacha, Eovaldi, Whitlock, Hill, Kike, Story, et al. Despite those injuries and the grim reality that this year's team ERA is 14th in the AL and worst in the John Henry era, the Sox are at .500 and 3.5 games out of a wild card. And don't forget that the AL East teams have 57 more wins than losses and the Sox play 19 x 4 = 76 games against the other four.

I am not saying this is a good season. Like everyone else, I'm appalled at the defense, baserunning, bullpen lapses, weak hitting with RISP, etc. In fact, I would definitely like to see some new faces.

Meanwhile, however, there is the dilemma of whether or not to retain Bogey and Devers, either of whom and definitely both of whom would be prohibitively expensive.
    If they are prohibitively expensive, how could any team other than the Yankees or Dodgers afford them? The Red Sox are not Kansas City or the Marlins or Tampa.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    We have here a few ardent Bloom supporters who will continue to back him no matter what happens and no matter what anyone else says. I am sure they have their reasons. Everyone else is fair game to be ripped and tossed under the bus. But not Chaim Bloom. I do not think most of Red Sox Nation falls into that category. They just want to see results and some good baseball. They are not seeing that and they are not happy about it. Bloom is the man in charge . This is his third year. It is perfectly fair to hold him accountable.
    Yes, he has a few supporters and an army of detractors. And for some reason you really like to go after the supporters. As if you want everyone to be the same.

Yes, he has a few supporters and an army of detractors. And for some reason you really like to go after the supporters. As if you want everyone to be the same.
    Well , That's how it is . I am one of the detractors. I can see no good reason to support him.

Well , That's how it is . I am one of the detractors. I can see no good reason to support him.
    Fine. I just don't get the constant need to attack the little pocket of supporters.

I don't see a single poster giving Bloom a free pass on everything or even almost everything. I do see posters trying to give context to why certain moves were made and why the moves might have been understandable, at the time they were made, just like I try to defend DD's Sale extension at the time it was made but how it sucks, now.

I also see a fw ardent Bloom bashers who will continue to bash him no matter what happens and no matter what anyone else says. I am sure they have their reasons. Every poster who attempts to soften the blows thrown at Bloom are fair game to be ripped and tossed under the bus. But not the team leaders and clubhouse wonders.

They never mention any of his many good moves, and make it sound like everything he touches turns to doo-doo. Many assume he is choosing to not spend big and wants to run the team like the Rays.

Personally, I think 2021 raised fans expectations beyond reason. The 2022 team and farm are vastly better than the one handed Bloom. The DD budget is going to be greatly reduced, this winter, and Bloom should be judged on the teams progression from the end of 2019 to now and the end of this winter's moves and decisions.

I'm fine with people holding Bloom accountable. I don't think it's a black and white as many seem to think it is, but that's the way of the world, these days. Little nuances and context is present.

Bloom should be held accountable for all his choices.

He's made plenty of bad choices. Some look god-awful right now, but some of those still have time to be righted or at least partially improved upon.

The Beni trade is already looking better than it did at first. His team control is over after this season. We replaced his salary with renfroe, last year, and that alone just about evened up the score. Now Wink is tilting the trade to a net plus, and we still have more to see from him and the other 3 far-away prospects.

The Pivetta-Seabold deal was golden.

The JBJ trade looks like a total bust, and it hurt the finances, but Binelas and hamilton do still show faint promise, so maybe we need another year or two to know just how bad the deal was.

Many of Bloom's mid-level signings ranged from meh to bad, but what is really expected of most $3M to $10M signings? 50-50 success rate?

Paxton
    Richards
    (Barnes extension)
    (Ottavino/German salary dump trade)
    (JBJ-Renfroe trade)
    Kike
    M Perez I and M Perez II
    Wacha
    Hill
    Diekman
    Strahm
    Renfroe
    Pillar
    Marwin
    Peraza
    Sawamura
    Moreland
    Andriese

One can easily argue these deals show less than 50% success, so bash away on these, but don't forget Whitlock, Winckowski, Schreiber, Refsnyder, Arroyo and a few other under-the-radar moves than probably balance those out or maybe even go plus side.

Are we better off now than the end of 2019 and start of 2020?

I'd say clearly much better on the 26, the 40, the farm and the finances. Call me a "prolific" poster who supports Bloom, but I am not one who never criticizes Bloom. It seems to me, there are more Bloom bashers who rarely mention the good than Bloom supporters who rarely mention the bad. That's my perception, anyway.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Let's see what he actually makes.

I'm not sure overpaying him will reset the whole top tier market.

Did Seager's massive overpay really create a big boost to other top players' contracts?
    I think it all adds to the inflationary trend.