Register now to remove this ad

Page 58 of 88 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloom move your asssssss

I'm thinking it's almost a certainty we find a way to reset.

We could trade JBJ and eat $25M of Price's $31M and be under- not that we'd have to pay that much, but it's not as hard as people think.

Trading Betts alone, gets us way under.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm thinking it's almost a certainty we find a way to reset.

We could trade JBJ and eat $25M of Price's $31M and be under- not that we'd have to pay that much, but it's not as hard as people think.

Trading Betts alone, gets us way under.
    That does pose the question of who replaces Price and Bradley. They won’t be free...

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    See this is what I am hoping for as a Yankee fan. Sox stay above the lux tax and watch him walk at the end of the year. Therefore the Sox don’t get the farm system shot in the arm of a trade and since they’re over the LT, get a pick in the 4th instead of after the first as compensation. Double whammy
    Not a great plan.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That does pose the question of who replaces Price and Bradley. They won’t be free...
    Unless they're infernal-- I mean, internal.

1) We could trade Price for Pollock or Bradley for Marisnik.

2) We could probably get someone to pay Prrice $12-16M, which coupled with saving $11M on JBJ would put us $8-12M under the tax line. With that money, we could sign a SP'er, CF'er and maybe even a 1Bman. I'm not talking great replacements, but it's not like replacing Price and JBJ needs to be great.

3) We could, for one year, move Beni to CF and try Travis (Chavis?) in LF or play Lin (Duran?) in CF- yikes! We could try to make DHern a starter of pray Johnson or Velazquez qet their act together, but if we go with this option, we might as well just commit to a rebuild and sell off other players with just 1 year remaining- maybe even 2 years left.

Deity
    1) We could trade Price for Pollock or Bradley for Marisnik.

2) We could probably get someone to pay Prrice $12-16M, which coupled with saving $11M on JBJ would put us $8-12M under the tax line. With that money, we could sign a SP'er, CF'er and maybe even a 1Bman. I'm not talking great replacements, but it's not like replacing Price and JBJ needs to be great.

3) We could, for one year, move Beni to CF and try Travis (Chavis?) in LF or play Lin (Duran?) in CF- yikes! We could try to make DHern a starter of pray Johnson or Velazquez qet their act together, but if we go with this option, we might as well just commit to a rebuild and sell off other players with just 1 year remaining- maybe even 2 years left.
    Here’s the thing. If you trade Price/Bradley and go $8-12mill under the tax line, then you replace Price (2.4 fWAR). Tanner Roark (2.0 fWAR) costs $12mill, and I expect any other 2.0 fWAR pitcher to cost similarly, which now potentially puts you back over. Or means the team is probably worse, which turns into “Why keep Betts?” And that’s assuming someone take Price with only $12mill paid.

It’s going to take an interesting deal to make trading Price worthwhile.

Also Marisnick cannot be traded until mid-June (?). But Bradley might be replaced cheaply enough with a defensive non-hitter like Cesar Puello...

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    See this is what I am hoping for as a Yankee fan. Sox stay above the lux tax and watch him walk at the end of the year. Therefore the Sox don’t get the farm system shot in the arm of a trade and since they’re over the LT, get a pick in the 4th instead of after the first as compensation. Double whammy
    Thanks for coming clean and finally not pretending to help the Betts situation. Now let's be totally honest... Yankee fans should be hoping in this order: 1A) Mookie is traded to NY for their two worst defensive players who don't have a position, plus a few minor leaguers who are not top prospects... and 1B) he signs with the Yanks for the next decade, wins some rings and wears their cap on his plaque... or 1C) he is traded to anyone else this year, because as long as he's a Red Sox they have a better chance to beat NY... and finally 4) your scenario.

Legend
    Also Marisnick cannot be traded until mid-June (?)...
    Jake Marisnick, whom the Mets acquired via trade, can be traded at any time.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Jake Marisnick, whom the Mets acquired via trade, can be traded at any time.
    For some reason I thought he was a free agent.

Either way, don’t really want him..

For some reason I thought he was a free agent.

Either way, don’t really want him..
    He has some offensive upside, but sure, there are other defensive CF'ers out there who cost very little.

Replacing Price is only difficult because we still haven't really replaced Porcello's innings.

Price has pitched less than 108 IP in 2 of the last 3 years. It's the main reason we are having a hard time finding a taker. We may not need a pitcher as good as Rourke to replace what Price is likely to give us in 2020.

Deity
    He has some offensive upside, but sure, there are other defensive CF'ers out there who cost very little.

Replacing Price is only difficult because we still haven't really replaced Porcello's innings.

Price has pitched less than 108 IP in 2 of the last 3 years. It's the main reason we are having a hard time finding a taker. We may not need a pitcher as good as Rourke to replace what Price is likely to give us in 2020.

Price in his limited innings was still worth more fWAR than Roark.

Although it is possible the Sox add a reliever or two and use the opener strategy. That “reliever” might be a buy low starter, like Buchholz or Shelby Miller or Alex Wood who comes in and pitches innings 3-6 after 2 by, say, Darwinzon Hernandez...

Price in his limited innings was still worth more fWAR than Roark.

Although it is possible the Sox add a reliever or two and use the opener strategy. That “reliever” might be a buy low starter, like Buchholz or Shelby Miller or Alex Wood who comes in and pitches innings 3-6 after 2 by, say, Darwinzon Hernandez...
    Assuming equal pay, who would you rather have in the next 3 years: Price or Rourk?

Deity
    Assuming equal pay, who would you rather have in the next 3 years: Price or Rourk?
    Assuming equal pay, I’d take Price. I might regret that in year three, but I am confident about the first two...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Unless they're infernal-- I mean, internal.
    So... Mike Shawaryn and Jarren Duran?

Assuming equal pay, I’d take Price. I might regret that in year three, but I am confident about the first two...
    I disagree, but it's a tough call.