Register now to remove this ad

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox close to deal with Kevin Pillar

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Thanks, but at the same time that's a pretty low bar!
    That’s why I added the line about summing it better than I was capable of...

Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    Actually wasn't referring to you at all!
    I respect your perspectives, & always have.

LOL :0

Granted, it was a total throwaway line.... it just felt right with the totality of the discussion. An obligatory swipe at the generation that can school us on many a thing....

Again, LOL :0

I just enjoy triggering them because they're so much god dambed smarter.

Anyway.... All my other points stand! Not because I'm smart, I'm just almost always right.

I get it. Thanks for the clarification. Now that you have clarified that the post wasn't directed at me, the posters who complimented your post, will probably delete their complimentary posts.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Who said anything about moncada?
    well, give me some names, bright eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    well, give me some names, bright eyes.
    I think you are missing point.

It is not the trades we made, it is the fact that we made the trades.

We drained the minor league system because Henry switched gear and went bipolar on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    N I am on record for not trading Betts unless or until the Sox were out of contention this year. I am on record on not giving up their best baseball asset unless they got the bone fide pitching prospects or starting pitching they needed if they were going to make a trade prior to the trading deadline. I am against giving up the 2020 season without competing. That is what I am on the record for. All the rest is just quiters rationalizing a bad deal by a new GM who got schooled by his mentor and former boss.
    you forget one simple fact in all these words you typed. the owner of the team mandated a LT reset and you (the GM) needed to shed $20MM from the payroll. we can pretend that isn't a fact if you want. then your words might....might...have meaning......
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I don't think you have ever made a post I agree with more. This is just flat out spot on IMO. Better summary than I am capable of...
    JFC. i feel like the world may end now.
    FTR - i also think S5's post was pretty freaking perfect.
    Last edited by Slasher9; 02-17-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    When Bloom was introduced they had a conference call with season ticket holders. Kennedy was also present. The ticket renewal period was still open. Bloom was asked directly about Betts, and after what has since transpired, it looks very much like he just lied to us with the nodding approval of top brass. He was also very optimistic about fielding a competitive squad in 2020. People can call it what they want but, based on the statements at that meeting, I was convinced that Betts would not be traded for financial reasons and that Bloom would have to be overwhelmed to trade Betts. I feel that he was very misleading.
    A700 - i feel bad for you on this one as you have been a season ticket holder. but even you have to admit you saw the writing on the wall after the JH "mandate" for the 2020 season as you did not renew your season ticket plan. i agree with you the Red Sox should NOT have raised a single ticket price this offseason. to me that is the biggest mistake they have done that should not have happened. now that they have traded #50 they should send every season ticket holder a $50 food/drink voucher for every seat they have a season ticket for....

Henry slashing payroll and increasing ticket prices for a mediocre team shows that he's no longer in touch with reality. (That's really been in question since his offseason ranting in '11-'12 to me.)

I understand the need to get under the lux tax. I don't agree with how they went about it and all the double speak this offseason. I give him all the credit in the world for 04, 07, 13 and 18, but he can be damn embarrassing sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Henry slashing payroll and increasing ticket prices for a mediocre team shows that he's no longer in touch with reality. (That's really been in question since his offseason ranting in '11-'12 to me.)

I understand the need to get under the lux tax. I don't agree with how they went about it and all the double speak this offseason. I give him all the credit in the world for 04, 07, 13 and 18, but he can be damn embarrassing sometimes.
    So what do you think they should have told the public about their real plans this offseason?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    So what do you think they should have told the public about their real plans this offseason?
    sometimes silence is golden. the silence and/or the bad news about mookie being traded is easier to swallow if ticket prices are not raised.
    to me DD saying "everyone is healthy" and within a week 4 players going under the knife is far more egregious......

Nothing.

Instead, they went with "we're cutting back payroll to get under luxury tax." Later on "we are going to compete this year, we don't have to cut payroll, it's not our intention." Of course they went with the "we're going to compete" as it got closer and closer to tickets going on sale. Then, they waited until well after tickets went on sale to the general public before they went through with the trade. I believe they intentionally held off on the trade until they were satisfied with ticket sales. Is that a conspiracy theory? Sure, but I believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    sometimes silence is golden. the silence and/or the bad news about mookie being traded is easier to swallow if ticket prices are not raised.
    to me DD saying "everyone is healthy" and within a week 4 players going under the knife is far more egregious......
    Universe to Red Sox Nation the FO lies!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Nothing.

Instead, they went with "we're cutting back payroll to get under luxury tax." Later on "we are going to compete this year, we don't have to cut payroll, it's not our intention." Of course they went with the "we're going to compete" as it got closer and closer to tickets going on sale. Then, they waited until well after tickets went on sale to the general public before they went through with the trade. I believe they intentionally held off on the trade until they were satisfied with ticket sales. Is that a conspiracy theory? Sure, but I believe it.

Maybe that message was meant for other GMs to interpret “Not giving away Mookie.”

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    But the media and fans don't accept silence either. There was a lot of complaining that the Sox didn't really explain why they fired DD.

The whole mess started with Shaughnessy asking Henry point blank back in September about whether they intended to re-set the tax, or words to that effect.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

But the media and fans don't accept silence either. There was a lot of complaining that the Sox didn't really explain why they fired DD.

The whole mess started with Shaughnessy asking Henry point blank back in September about whether they intended to re-set the tax, or words to that effect.
    oh i agree. the media will always try and get someone to say something. the FO (especially the owner) needs to take a page out of the BB playbook. say words that dont mean anything or say nothing at all. i dont blame shaughnessy one bit. that was a great get by him....